Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

3m Extra vs. 3.1m Super Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3m Extra vs. 3.1m Super Extra

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:04 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3m Extra vs. 3.1m Super Extra

Please tell me the huge difference between these two plaens other than size!?!?! I would liek to know how thye perform compared to eachother. If YOU HAVE BOTH OR HAVE FLOWN BOTH please express your feeling about one vs. the other.

Thanks

Dan

PS What is the wing area of each one?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:28 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 3m Extra vs. 3.1m Super Extra

I believe they made some changes to the SX itself, not just the size, go to their website and read about it.

Straight off the site...

"- The composite wings received an all carbon blade spar and 20 % larger ailerons.
- The fuselage is stretched 7.5 cm (3â€) and we allow 2 wing positions to custom set the CG and overall flying characteristics. Futhermore we use the Diagon-Technique to stiffen the fuselage for torsion loads.
- We reduced the size of the counter balance area of the rudder, with the effect that the SuperXtra is rock stable now even in high speed passes.
- We increased the canopy to a full blown L-Version, for better knife edge capabilities
- We increased the wing span to the full blown L-Version (3.1m, 124â€), which makes the plane feel even lighter in the 3D performance.
- The level of prefabrication is carried to the limit. Canopy frame mounts, control horns, servo mounts, cowl mounts, fuel tank tray, muffler mounts, gear mounts… All is preassembled and ready for your hardware installation.

Overall we maximized the strength and stiffness of the new SuperXtra wiuthout gaining much more weight. The new SuperXtra will be the best flying Extra in the skies. It will be the highest prefabricated one on the market, and for sure no other Extra will have all these full scale design details, which make it a real high-tech flying machine. "
Old 08-09-2004, 04:30 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Darcy had a couple of minutes with mine (3m Extra) the weekend before last, actually on its 2nd flight, and as we know, he is now flying his 3.1m SuperExtra. It's not much to base an opinnion on, and they both fly terrific. I'm hoping to go visit Darcy next weekend, and we will get a chance to burn a couple of gallons together, maybe then something concrete can be posted.
One large difference is all the prefab already done to the 3.1m and the way aileron servos are ganged and linked to the ailerons.
DKjens
Old 08-09-2004, 05:08 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have flown Jen's 3M but only for a bit, not really enough to say its better or worse than my 3.1m. I have 11 flights on my plane and I love it! I was really Impressed with the 3.0m and I did say too Jens that I hoped my plane flew as good as his. With that said, I think for the price the 3.0m Is a real Bargan and is a Pro Class plane, I know Dave S. flys Advanced IMAC and He had his pic between the Two and he picked the 3.0m over the 3.1m for alot of reasons. Maybe he can chime in and give his .o2cents, also I know Mike Brown has flown and owned both of the planes so maybe he can give his opinion as well.
IMO both are real nice and can take a pilot real far, the 3.0m for fact has takin quite a few well known pilots to the TOC...
Old 08-09-2004, 05:50 PM
UNLDAVE
My Feedback: (2)

Hi There,

I've owned 3-3.0 Extras..1 weighed 34-1/2 lbs..My current comp-arf 3.0 weighs 36lbs.. they all fly great!!!
I'll give you an indepth difference report next week..Darcy is gonna let me fly his 3.1 after saturday's rounds are over at the SanDiego IMAC this weekend!!!
My only concern about the 2 planes is weight....a 3.1 could be made heavy if you added a lot of doo-dads to it..Not an issue if you fly at a low elevation..I would like to see one fly the Unlimited sequence in Tucson,Vegas or Albuquerque in about 90degree heat..7000ft density altitiude..
I have seen the first 3.1 fly on the west coast in 2 different contests..It looked good..it appeared smoother on the exit of downlines than a 3.0(due to the fuse being stretched a bit..longer tail moment) and overall a little less twitchy than a 3.0. The blue fantasy scheme also is harder to see mistakes and corrections made by the pilot,making it a higher scoring plane..(cant deduct what you can't see)

More later, Dave
Old 08-09-2004, 05:52 PM
JohnVH

Ill have Darcy's video of his 3.1m up soon.

Report on how you think it flies Dave!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Richo

Hi,

For my 2c worth. I've flown both types and loved them both. Flying wise I didn't notice a hell of a lot of difference, (both models were relativly new and not fully sorted)but they were both rock solid. I have just ordered a 3.1. The 3m is a bargain, and was very tempting, but the level of pre-fabrication and the adjustability of the 3.1 weighed in it's favour. I suppose it's like a new 2003 model car when the 2004 model is in the market place, both are good, just one is cheaper and the other is generaly improved over the last. I feel the 3.1 is an improvment over the 3m as far as the manufacturing process goes, and time will tell if the changes made make it fly better. I for one feel the airframe is an improvment and has lots of ajustability available to get the most out of the model. I dont think you could be disapointed with either model.

Cheers

Richo
Old 08-09-2004, 11:04 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

I have flown both, including Mike Brown's Super Extra. Both are top notch. Mike moved his wing to the forward position and I felt that it flew more smoothly- rolled very axially. Also, the one thing that I would like to see changed on the 3 meter is the large counterbalance. On the Super Extra, it has been made smaller- I believe this is better.

Is it $1000 better? That's up to you.

Dave Michael
Old 08-10-2004, 11:59 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Now I look and JTEC has their Extra the same sizeas the COMP ARF 3.1m Super Extra and I say why not just get that for only 1500 and it's fairly light! I can easily treduce some weight with carbon fiber and such. It has a wing area of 2775 so I am sure that it should fly awesoem

Dan
Old 08-10-2004, 02:09 PM
DKjens

Dan,
You're comparing apples and oranges.
DKjens
Old 08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

I still don't understand though. The JTEC should fly just as well right?

Dan
Old 08-10-2004, 08:31 PM
mu2driver

I still don't understand though. The JTEC should fly just as well right?
Not that the J-Tec isnt a good flying plane but, its not in the same league as the 40% Composite-Arf's...just isnt
Old 08-10-2004, 10:06 PM
DKjens

Dan,
It's hard if not impossible to really fully understand just how great the Composite-ARF Extras are, unless you've flown the crap out of them. The wing profiles say snap happy, because they are sleek (thin) wings with rather sharp leading edges - the tips are very sleek and sharp. However, in the air it is absolutely fantastic, and defies all that one thought one knew about aerodynamic design. The wings simply fly fantastic. At moderate speed you can fly it around, yanking and banking, and it tracks and grooves without any stall or snap tendencies. Of cause there will always be a point where any wing will high speed stall, but you really have provoke it with these planes, and there is no way it can surprise you. At zero to low speed, again the wings exhibit fantastic characteristics, elevators and harriers are very very solid, especially with the 3m, and you have the feeling of great confidence from the very first flight. If you want to compare a 40% wood ARF to a Composite-ARF, you should at least compare it to the 3m Extra, which in solid is priced at $1,790.00 and includes all the hardware, so it's really not much moore expensivve than a similar sized wood ARF. The 3.1m SuperExtra has a lot of prefabrication done to it, and has many adjustment possibilities, and is really, as Darcy pointed out, in a different league.
DKjens
Old 08-11-2004, 07:48 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

$1,790!!![X(] I thought it was more liek $3,000! But is that an all white one. I wouldnt mind an all white. And with all that said what do you mean by prefabrication? Like the scheme?

Thanks for all the help guys. It's very much appreciated

Dan
Old 08-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Kody
My Feedback: (19)

For 1790.00 you can get the all white one or the yellow with red on the bottom of the wings (older 3m). For 2890.00 you get some cool colors and all of this,
- The level of prefabrication is carried to the limit. Canopy frame mounts, control horns, servo mounts, cowl mounts, fuel tank tray, muffler mounts, gear mounts… All is preassembled and ready for your hardware installation (new 3.1m).

Dan i am in the same boat as you. I am looking at the J'Tec for 1500.00, its a really good deal and it looks really good in the air.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:35 AM
mu2driver

Here is another Vid of the 3.1m flying

http://www.composite-arf-world.com/c...arcy%27sSX.WMV

Just made it last night[8D]
Old 08-11-2004, 01:31 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

The plaen looks cool and everything but I beleive that JTEC will fly just as good. SOme guy here in CT named Lou does verything imaginable with his and it loosk just as nice in the air and i think is a little bigger than that Super Extra. I'm a kid with a small wallet, I loved the video though! Way to go brother

Dan
Old 08-11-2004, 01:58 PM
DKjens

Dan, Kody,
Well, we're not going to twist anybodys arms, but the fact is that the cost of the plane alone, excluding engine and electronics, may end up being $200.00 more for the Composite-ARF in solid, than the JTEC. Does the JTEC come with hardware? The Composite-ARF does. Yes, you need to spend $100 on vinyl for the Composite-ARF, but then no other plane will look like yours. You won't have to worry about covering coming off the Composite-ARF. The Composite-ARF comes with a complete set of wing - stab - fuse - bags. The Composite-ARF is the perfect size for a DA150 on mufflers or pipes. The CA is proven, it has a long track record, it will very likely come out at 37 lbs, it flyes very light, and all I can say is, I am very happy I made the choice I did. Ask yourself, is a $200 saving, which relates to around 7% off the full package really worth chosing a wood plane?
DKjens
Old 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me the Composite Arf was the best choice.

I had owned a Carden 30% years ago, and now have a 100%(The real thing) in the Hangar. You really cannot beat the price if you factor in all the facts.

That boat is sure slow......Mine is on it!
Old 08-11-2004, 02:20 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

I tohught you had to buy all of the prefab stuff...liek the fuel mounting hardware and all that fun stuff? Is the bottom white too? I think you are right DKJens. Sent you a PM

Thanks a ton bro

Dan
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 PM
JohnVH

ORIGINAL: CaptRKO

For me the Composite Arf was the best choice.

I had owned a Carden 30% years ago, and now have a 100%(The real thing) in the Hangar. You really cannot beat the price if you factor in all the facts.

That boat is sure slow......Mine is on it!
a 100% Carden?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
robteecoker

Did you have to add a lot of weight to the front to balance out the 3.1?

My friend has built this plane and now is trying to balance it and it take 4 1/2 pounds in front to balance with a da 150, can you help?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

I have a friend that has the 3M and I have the 3.1M the big difference I see is weight.

My 3.1 is 41lbs his is 37 lbs. I have the Blade Spars which are heavier but stronger.

My 3.1m seems to track a bit better and Roll moments on it seem faster but it could be setup.

He has more power then I do in the Vertical uplines.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59432.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	821434  
Old 12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
crfabbro
My Feedback: (56)

My 1 year old SX balanced perfect with 2 rudder servos in he tail and cans. Something is not right if he thinks it
needs 4lbs. I doubt he is balancing it correct. Flyjets, mine tips the scales at 43lbs. with no extra stuff other than
3W cans (which are light for cans)! Too heavy, but still flys excellent.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Boatnik

My motor is the ZDZ 160B2 the Champion version which is a tad light for this setup.

I was forced to Run the batteries right on the inside Firewall and make up some Motor mounts that had a bit of weight to them.

Judging from my 4 elevator servos and it would be hard to get my Version "Blade Spar" of the SuperXtra much below 40 lbs with Cans.

Also I found to Fly a fast knife Edge pass I needed 4 Rudder Servos 8611a.

Ian