Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hanger 9 Ultimate.

Old 08-15-2004, 07:30 PM
S. Miller
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Ultimate.

I need some answers,
I have a hanger 9 Unltmate, DA150, 14 Hitec 5945MG Digital Servos, 1 Digital 5925 Throttle servo, Pro links,
all the good stuff you can ask for. Everything in the plane is new,nothing used. Has two JR 955 recievers, 2
4000 nickle metal batteries for flight packs,1 2700 for ignition. All heavy duty JR switches. I have had this plane since September of 2003 and have not been able to get it in the air yet. I use a JR 10 SX11 radio.
When i go to do a range check on the plane I get approx 50 paces away from the plane and it goes into fail
safe. Have changed recievers thinking they were bad, (news ones again) Today we tried again with the wings on the plane and everything worked just great. But when we put the wings on the problem starts again. We do the range check with the transmitter antena out of the transmitter as the instructions say. With the antena
in I can go as far as I want. So whats the problem. All of my flying friends with lot of years of flying are lost too What do I do next. This plane is becoming a money pit. Plane also has radio frequency filters on the wiring also.
Any help woud be great.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:36 PM
S. Miller

Default RE: Hanger 9 Ultimate.

Sorry that should have said with the wings off the plane not on.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:24 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

A friend of mine has the H9 ulty as well and had the same problem as you the beginning of this year. Part of the problem was the aluminum wing tube for the top wing running through the carbon fiber cabane rib. With the engine running, vibration causes these two parts to shake against each other producing radio noise. Try placing some electrical tape between the wing panels and rib to reduce the vibrations.

The solution for my friend was to move the rx (Futaba PCM I believe) to a small tray mounted near the top of the turtle deck, just behind the canopy. After he did this all glitches went away.
A good, easy way to verify you're improving things without firing the engine is to fully assemble the plane and then tap on any exposed bolts (such as the wing-mount bolts) with a metal screwdriver or similar. If you see any servo's jump, move the rx around until you find a spot where the servos no longer jump.

The main thing is to be methodical and make only one change at a time. You will figure it out.

Also..I just noticed you said 50 PACES away before fail-safe. Do you know how many feet that is? What distance does JR recommend for an adequate ground-range check, and how many paces does that translate to for you? I fly Futaba and I know if I can get 45 paces with engine on then I am safe to fly. I would think that at 50 paces with no glitches before lock-out you would be good. I use that rule on all my planes (both big and small) and have never had radio interference in the air afterwards.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
S. Miller

jmiracle,

Thanks for the info. The 50 paces I really did not figure out in feet, just walked off 50 paces with normal walking. I have to look in the book again on how far JR says to be away but that is without the antenna in the transmitter. I have come to the witts end with this plane. I will try what you said and see what happens then.
This thing does the same with or without the motor running. As of right now I would not recomend this plane to anyone to buy.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:53 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Have you tried to re-route your antenna? Move receiver, recheck connections, move batteries, etc.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:12 PM
jmiracle

be careful on making statements like not recommending this plane because of radio problems. It is not the planes fault that you're getting glitches (which to be honest, i suspect you may be fine)....if it's anything, it's the layout of the equipment inside the plane that's causing the potential problem.

I used to work for a civil engineering firm...and I learned there (doing topo's), that the ave. person spans ~3ft per pace (give or take a little). So if you use that average at 50 paces, you're walking out 125-150ft for a ground range check.

According to the JR10x manual available on Horizon's web site...in section 13, "Daily Flight Checks", it states you should install the antenna in the radio and slowly walk away with the antenna collapsed for a distance of 60 feet. The aircraft should funtion properly both engine on and engine off at this distance.

If you're getting 100+ feet with no antenna installed at all and with engine on and engine off, then it sounds to me like there's nothing at all wrong with the plane. Go fly it and have fun!!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:52 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

First off, I agree with jmiracle. 50 paces is a good range. However, since you said it does it with the wings on, and not off, then I think that you might have a problem with your aileron extensions, or maybe a bad servo. Do you have all of your extentions twisted inside the wing? If they are straight, then they act like huge antennas. When they are twisted, they can't pick up a signal strong enough to cause problems.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 AM
locoworks

i don't know if you have one installed? but an opto isolater is a very good idea for aircraft with long extension runs to servo's
Old 08-16-2004, 05:56 AM
Andy Rigby

You say that you dont have the TX antenna screwed into the TX??? This simply may be your problem. When i turn on my 10X without the antenna in the module gets very hot very quickly. Basically you are transmitting and should have the antenna on the TX. On my range checks i just put the antenna on, lower it to as far is at will go and do my range checks. I have never had a problem like this, and have had many large planes.

I'd say put your antenna in on the TX and do a range check and see what you get, if you can go say 50-80 paces you are fine.

Hope this helps

Andy
Old 08-16-2004, 07:26 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

I have been with helping Steve with this problem from the start. Its very odd to say the least. With the plane setting with the wings off, it will range check fine, I guess 200 ft. With the wings on and all aileron servo's "UNPLUGGED" the problem arrises. A proper range check per JR is done with the antenna off. And the distance from the plane to failsafe is under 100 ft. At one time while walking back to the plane I was probably 50 ft from the plane and it still locked up. Receiver antenna's have been routed to the outside of the plane and taped to the covering, temporarily. All servo leads are twisted wire, custom made with chokes. Everything is new, gone over 50 times, its sanitary, done right and wont work. There has been over 60yrs of RC experience troubleshooting this plane and one Team JR guy and were all stumped. BTW, all of JR's reccomendations: new crystals, chokes then a new receiver #3 has been done..This is nothing obvious. Walt
Old 08-16-2004, 08:15 AM
jmiracle

Where does it say to operate the TX without the antenna installed? That seems extremely odd to me because, as someone else already stated, that would put a very heavy load on the module...causing it to heat up quickly and possibly damage the tx.
I read the manual online for the 10X provided by JR and it explicitly states to install the antenna and range-check with it fully collapsed.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Dave763

What kind of range do you get with only one reciever hooked up? I remember reading a post that mentioned reduced range when using 2 JR recievers.

I run 2 futaba pcm recievers with no problems.

Be sure the recievers are not to close to each other.

Try running the anntenae's out the sides and up to the vertical fin.

Sounds like somthing in the wing (the tube or mounting hardware or flying wires) is vibrating and making RF noise.

Your range check procedures(ant. in and colasped or ant. removed)

Hope you figure it out.

Dave
Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 PM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Guys,

jmiracle is talking about my H9... J forgot to mention that my rec's were right beside my SWB rudder servo tray. Once I moved them... No Glitches!! I had one rec. on each side. It took two weeks to figure out.

Right now I have 56 flights on it with out a single hit... I am NOT using PCM. PCM was going to be the last thing I did... Your going to love this plane!!

Scott
Old 08-16-2004, 07:00 PM
S. Miller

I want to Thank everyone for all the posts trying to figure this problem out. I don't have a rudder tray in this
plane. All rudder servos are in the back. Both of my receivers are on each side of the plane,with antenna wire also running down each side. The antenna wire do not exit the plane they are attached iside with j-tec rubber clips. My receivers are PCM. The radio 10SX 11 is used for three other planes, two with duel receivers and one with just a single. Have no problems with these planes. The receivers being on each side of the fuse there is nothing in between them other then the wires. The only thing is the servo extension that plug into the recievers face each other to the inside and the antenna wires are to the outside.
I will try what everybody is saying, dont know what else to do. So thanks again for the help.

Steve
Old 08-18-2004, 07:16 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Andy Rigby

You say that you dont have the TX antenna screwed into the TX??? This simply may be your problem. When i turn on my 10X without the antenna in the module gets very hot very quickly. Basically you are transmitting and should have the antenna on the TX. On my range checks i just put the antenna on, lower it to as far is at will go and do my range checks. I have never had a problem like this, and have had many large planes.

I'd say put your antenna in on the TX and do a range check and see what you get, if you can go say 50-80 paces you are fine.

Hope this helps

Andy
Check this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/10X_...2066633/tm.htm
[/b]