Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Nylon gear servos and single 50cc engine

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Nylon gear servos and single 50cc engine

Old 10-22-2004, 09:52 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nylon gear servos and single 50cc engine

Would Nylon gear servos be safe to use on a single 50cc ZDZ50ng 87in wingspan plane. I was going to use Hitec 605bb on the wings and elevator and 4721 on the rudder. Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 09:55 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nylon gear servos and single 50cc engine

I wouldn't do it. No need to risk what must be a $1000.00 + airplane on cheap servo's.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Flying Cowboy

I've been running gas engines for 3 Years now and had no servo failure.

I'm running regular servos (Fut. 3004 or alike) with ball bearing everywhere except on the rudder where I put a high torque servo.
1 servo on each elevator and 1 servos on each ailerons 1 for the gas, one for the choke and a high torque for the rudder.

I'm running an Edge 540 with a Sach 50CC and make 3d with it and everything I can. I'm retired and I fly about 150 fly every year and as I said before, had no problems with servos.

I think peoples are on the safe side with the choice of torque in the servos.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying Cowboy, are your servos nylon geared or metal?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Flying Cowboy

Nylon gear.

I heard that metal gear get loose pretty fast but I never used any.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:36 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

For my flying, I need metal gear and at least 100 ounces. Right now I have 168 ounce 5645's on a 6 volt system on my 1/4 scale CAP232. I want extreme throws for 3D so the high torque is a must.

Now if you set your throws up very low using very high mechanical advantage, I can see how a standard nylon gear servo would hold up. But for my flying, there's no way I would use nylon gear. It's not worth the risk to save $100 on a $1500 ARF. But that's just me.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey monkey, I my self would go with 645s. I ran 645s in my H-9 Sukhoi with no problems. I later replaced them with 5645s and put my 645s in my T/F mustang. However I did run 605s on my GP Pitts and they worked fine.

If you are going to be spend alot of money on a 50cc plane,I would spend the extra money on some better servos. Also if you do use MG servos, use aluminum arms, or that would defeat the purpose of using MG servos. IMO

Kelly
Old 10-22-2004, 05:47 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a 12 year old Byron P-51 (85" span) with a G62 in it, that is full of Futaba S148 servos (nylon gear). The airframe probably has close to a thousand flights on it.

I'm probably going to replace all the servos when I refurbish the airframe. Don't want to push my luck too far.

I'm worried more about the RX being effected by the vibration.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I use a lot of Futaba and JR nylon gear servos on 125cc planes with no failures. However I fly IMAC manuevers rather than extreme 3-D so I cannot speak to high control deflections at speed coupled with poor mechanical advantage.
There appears to be a trend over the last 7 or 8 years of overpowering airframes and using larger servos.
There is little analysis done as to actual needs. Most often it is one person following the next with what ever is being touted as the "best" setup. While there is nothing inherently wrong with that approach, it probably leads to a lot of planes flying with much heavier servos than is actually required. Sort of like driving a three axle dump truck to the store for a quart of milk.[8D]
Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Stuart D

I am thinking of putting hitec HS 6985HB in my 2.3 composite aircraft , these are the new high torque karbonite gear ones.
I use cast nylon rollers in my business for cold bending 1.2mm thick steel and that stuff is very very strong . As far as I can tell
'kakbonite" is the same product or be it with some addatives .
These servos are rated [email protected] and [email protected] but I have not heard any one useing them . What do you think?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:24 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

My 25% CAP232 snapped the shafts off on 635HB Karbonite. Could have been those short screws, the lock-tite, or just bad mechanical advantage. Whatever the cause the were Karbonite.

ORIGINAL: Stuart D

I am thinking of putting hitec HS 6985HB in my 2.3 composite aircraft , these are the new high torque karbonite gear ones.
I use cast nylon rollers in my business for cold bending 1.2mm thick steel and that stuff is very very strong . As far as I can tell
'kakbonite" is the same product or be it with some addatives .
These servos are rated [email protected] and [email protected] but I have not heard any one useing them . What do you think?