Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

ST 2300 engine problems

Old 11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Matt52x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST 2300 engine problems

I just recently bought a 2300rd and so far it has spit 2 glow plugs(one was stock the other was an os 8). Now I've got a fox long plug in there and the engine stalls out on any inverted g manuever, but it doesn't quit it will just go back to normal. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:30 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: ST 2300 engine problems

Try an OS four cycle plug in your 2300. I know they are expensive, but it made a world of difference in mine.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 11-09-2004, 05:28 PM
scottfl78

I assume you have it inverted? I had one inverted and it worked fine.. On-board glow does well with these engines.. Helps them from loading up..
Old 11-09-2004, 06:26 PM
rmh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 2300 -if the plug burns out --you have encountered too lean running condition .
No exceptions
If you are not a engine guy - that is you don't care to retrofit to correct real problems - try this
simply install a slightly smaller carb - (OS-D is good one ) then run a slightly smaller prop and use OS F plug and 15% nitro .
If your carb setup to tank is OK- this will correct for a lousy exhaust setup .
Lousy being a non pressure exhaust setup
The stock ST carb demands some exhaust pressure to operate correctly - no exceptions
(PS this excludes pumps and regs -which I persoinally do not care for - but that's another issue))
Old 11-09-2004, 06:46 PM
scottfl78

or buy an RCS gasser and save money on fuel.. haha My ST 2300 ran fine and I had no problems but I would never buy such a big glow motor again..
Old 11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Talk about going back in time Dick....
ST2300, the setup that worked for me was Conley (Perry) Mega Carb, 25% Cool Power, 17x8 APC prop, Bisson Pitts muffler with one outlet blocked off and the other partially blocked to get good tank pressure, and an OS-F plug. Yes it definately needs the F-plug! I hear the new Chinese carb works so you probably don't need the Conley carb.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:59 PM
rmh

Mine was piped w/ignition and exhaust pressure -on 5% nitro n alky
18x8 APC----9000+ honest on the ground - a runnin sob ---that drank fuel like crazy.
extremely linear smooth throttle response and dead smooth idle.
all for under 400 bucks
I see that OS turkey for a grand !
PT Barnum was right.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Matt52x

Hey thanks Dick Hanson. I don't have any exhaust pressure(bison pitts mufler on a side mounted engine). So your sayin that a smaller carb an os f plug an smaller prop and it should work? Also does the nitro content have much to do with performance because I hear some poeple run 30%heli fuel? I'm not to much of a big glow engine guy seeing as this is my first one I'm open to anything that will keep this old bird in the air.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:03 AM
rmh

Careful-- should and will are two different things.
Here is the problem:
the engine sucks fuel and air from the spray bar and
the carb air inlet.

Ideally , the carb set up stays balanced in fuel TO air ratio. through out entire rpm range.-thru tricky sliding and carefully cut delivery slots.
In actual practice - it does not.
Sorry -
Forget the regs and pumps for a moment. (or forget em all together )
By making the carb smaller -- the speed of airflow increases ( (the sucking ability) in the carb so that the ratios stay a little closer -however
the power will drop as the carb gets smaller.
Now then
Heli 30+ is less sensititve to FUEL to AIR RATIO and the extra oil helps cool ( less thermal problems from lean mix).
Why?
Because MORE nitro makes the required air balance less fussy.
As the model climbs -or flys level -- the fuel head ( level of fuel tank to the carb spraybar) changes - this is why you see newbees holding the model up and down and up and down - trying to get the needle valves set right .
(typically too lean and they flame out on take off.)

ALSO- letting the engine run faster on a lighter prop load - will reduce internal heat and allow the engine to rev (more carb .velocity)
So even tho the Pitts mufflers are in my book -utterly worthless POS on these engines - you can help overcome the loss of the exhaust pressure ORIGINALLY incorporated in the engine design
Here is how that worked:
The exhaust pressure in the original stock muffler was zero at idle - then increased at a increasing rate -as the engine approached full design operating rpm
this pressure built to a little over 1/3 PSI
This was "just right" to add slight pressure to the fuel tank-- which made the fuel delivery -at the carb slighty richer at full power .
No check vales are used - the pressure rises and falls as required by the engine.
This is extremely important to understand!!
Why?
Because more power =more heat --which requires more fuel - to control the heat .
So by making the fuel delivery slightly "too rich" at full power ----the engine automatically balanced the increased heat and fuel mix - for max performance.
Don't feel alone on this ST2300 question.
The proper setup on these engines was thoroughly botched by the sales group in the USA
Hopefully - with the new Chinese engines - they all got together and figured it out.
Probably too much to hope for -----
Old 11-10-2004, 01:30 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

If your 2300 is throwing plugs out you need to call OS and get a head spacer. This will solve your proplem. Dennis.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:30 PM
scottfl78

You could also tap the pitts muffler for pressure, crimp one of the outlets, or they say you can rotate the spraybar in the carp to help performance...
Old 11-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

OS doesn't make a head shim for a Supertigre.
If you want to run the Bisson Pitts muffler, it's already tapped for pressure.
But, you have to close off one outlet completely - a PVC plumbing cap works great with JB Weld.
Also, close off the other outlet and drill a 5/8 inch hole in the cap.
Then you have the correct tank pressure. You can rotate the spray bar, but it will not fix the ST2300 with the Italian carb with the dogleg.
This isn't a guess.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Matt52x

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try closings an opening on the pitts mufler. If that doesn't work than I'll get a new carb.(I really need to convert to gas, o well)
Old 03-15-2008, 03:13 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

ANAEROBATIC 80 OS MAX 7D CARB SOLVED ALL MY SUPERTIGTE PROBLEMS 2300 AND 2500
Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 PM
joetach
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Trainermaster,
What did you use to take up the approx. .078 difference between the OS 7D carb & St carb where it fits into the ST intake?

Joe