Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Both sides are equal. The top of the fuse and the wing tube are level. The horizontal stab tube is not level and the vertical stab is not 90 degress to the wing tube.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

While not perfect, I'd venture to say that the rudder centerline is certainly within tolerance for even the best ARF... looks to be half a hinge off and I wouldn't sweat it... now the stabs being off from the wing as much as shown is certainly an issue that needs addressed and it appears as if Chris is offering excellent options.

Either a discount for competent builders or a replacement fuse. Seems someone with your adept skills of measuring could easily adjust the plane and pocket the $100.

Of course some might do both I suppose effectively paying $100 for a replacement fuse... though they'll probably have to wait a couple months for the new Yaks to come in. This issue may even delay them another month to make sure the problem is resolved in all new airframes.

Yes, mine exhibits the same problem. One of the original 20 flown in. I'll fix the problem myself and let Chris keep the $100 as a deposit on my 100cc Yak.

And if I wasn't going in the hospital next Tuesday, I'd fly the crap out of it and enjoy it immensely I'm sure.

It is an investment and I'll be the first one to defend a consumer's right to get a true plane out of box (as I'm sure Chris would) and if you simply aren't capable of this minor mod, then by all means call Chris to arrange a replacement. But I truly feel that people will get the best value if they perform the "fix" and fly it 3 months sooner PLUS get an extra $100 back. (Or buy the CF spinner, a backup Yak, etc)

You can rest assured that if Chris had ANY NOTION that any of these planes had issues they would not have been sent out. With this "fix" he's hoping to be able to get people in the air instead of them being quite deflated at the idea of waiting.

It's your choice.

ORIGINAL: Dave763

Here it is again the string is in the center of the fin running vertically.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:28 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gotta_Fly

I can not believe what I'm reading... But what just blows my mind is the two faced people I see on here ALL THE TIME, and right now I really have to watch what I say, But you guys are something else, For some reason I think all you certain people think that Chris built everyone of these planes by he's hand.... Listen for those of you who I'm talking to there are two types of people in this world , there ledders and there followers, Man if them ledders died you guys would be lost.........

Randy
WHAT???? For the most part, everyone is being reasonable about this and it is being taken care of. The only person that made a snyde comment was Y N C, and that was the guy's first post. Sure, some people expressed their disapointment a little more clearly than others, but Chris is taking care of the problem and all is fine now. I think you blew things way out of proportion...
There are no leaders and followers here, just people putting out information and sharing their experiences and helping otheres out.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:34 PM
romanrc

Yep.[>:]
Old 03-08-2005, 01:36 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

i feel dumb asking this, but what else are you supposed to do on a forum except learn, so...

How does a tail that is about a 1/4 inch twisted affect flight? im sure there are some that are flying now that are twisted, and all i been hearing are positives, so it can't affect flight too much, but i wouldn't doubt im wrong.

Thanks,
Scott
If your stab is twisted to the left (left side down), your plane will veer left whenever you pull or push to the vertical...and FORGET about any type of controlled 3D flight...no Walls, no Elevators, no Harriers, etc
Old 03-08-2005, 01:56 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: RREEL

Guys, I have a simple fix for those of you who have a strait fuse but the the stab is a liitle off. I have done this before on some of my 40%er's with great results. I will try to explain this the best I can and will post pictures later to help you better understand. No recoverering is required. first take a fine dremel bit and route all the way around the fixed stab tube on one side of the fuse, completely freeing it on one side only. Did I mention how easy this is? Next mix up some 30 min. epoxy with micro balloons or milled fiber to a THICK consistancy. Fill the gap you just routed out and make sure the inside of the tube is cleaned of any excess epoxy. Then insert the carbon tube and take some toothpicks or some other small shem material and stick it in between the the fuse and the fixed stab tube ( in the epoxy) where needed to adjust for a perfect alignment to the wing tube. Simply let the epoxy cure, remove carbon tube and carefully sand flush any excess. This whole process takes no time at all and will get you in the air quickly with perfect results. For those of you who who do not feel comfortable doing this or those with more serious problems, Fear Not. Chris will take of you ASAP! I will try to get detailed pics or video of this fix shortly. It really is very easy and takes less time than mounting the wheelpants. I hope this helps.
Problem with that is, even though your stab will now be parallel to your wing, your rudder won't be purpendicular to the wing OR stab, and you will still end up with pitch coupling...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:10 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Here is a silly little Idea that has a decent cchance of working. ( My brain works really good in the morning. However at night I can hardly tie my shoes.)

Take a spray bottle and mist the inside of the airplane. then secure it to your workbench. Water won't hurt the covering, and if you just mist it, you shouldn't harm the glue. Using your wingtube and stab tube put an opposite twist in the fus. with a makeshift jig. ie wook clamps ect. Over twist it slightly.(just a hair) Then reshrink your covering and either use a hairdryer on low heat, or let the thing dry on it's own. make sure it remains jiged and slightly over twisted the entire time. I'd let it sit for atleast a day either way.

just thought of the jig. Get two pipes, dowels or simular. extend your wingtube and stab tube with such. then add weight to opposite sides out at the end of the dowl. an old sock with sand will hang on it just fine. adjust your weight to get the right twist.

John
NO NO NO!!! If you tri twisting the fuse in the back with the stab tube, you'll BUST THE TUBE RIGHT OUT OF THE FUSE!!! If one really wishes to give it a go, then try twisting the fuse by the VERTICAL STAB and NOT the HORIZONTAL STAB.

I, for one, will wait for my new fuse. Back in my day when I was a pretty good pilot and had 20/15 vision, I flew a 33% Pirate models Extra 260 with a twisted tail and I could easily see it veering to one side when I pulled or pushed vertical. I am a bit rusty now, but I plan on getting good again, so I would like to start off with a straight plane

I will say, however, if you have no intentions of flying and type of precision or hardcore 3D (like the Wall), then build and fly and enjoy...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:10 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Yes, mine exhibits the same problem. One of the original 20 flown in.
Shucks, I was thinking the 1st 20 were fine, I guess Wanye and I got lucky.

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

If your stab is twisted to the left (left side down), your plane will veer left whenever you pull or push to the vertical...
actually it would veer right when you PUSH to vertical.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:17 PM
wgeffon

......and FORGET about any type of controlled 3D flight...no Walls, no Elevators, no Harriers, etc

I have to disagree...
IMO, 3D is the last place you'd see any negative effects from a low stab / Crooked fuse etc..
3D flight is slow.
Trim, Incidence, warped surfaces etc wont show up untill the airplane is at a constant, moderate speed.
I have flown some awesome 3D planes that were so messed up as far as throws, incidence, thrust angles it would make you sick.
The only times the negative effects show up on those planes is when the plane is flying with speed.

Perfect example is I flew 35% a few weeks ago. The planes owner is someone who 3D's that plane as good as anyone out there. He makes it look awesome when he's flipping and flopping it.
I tried to fly some sequence stuff with it and thought there was something wrong. I landed and started to look over things.. NOTHING was set up correctly.
All I am trying to say is that stuff like this doesnt show up in 3D.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Dave763

I am so disapointed I don't even want this plane now. Maudib, with all your fine attention to detail I am surprised to hear you say that it looks ok to you. Even more surprised to hear you say you would fly it like that.
I wish I had the time to build as this seems to be the only way to get a decent plane. Now I know why so many top pilots fly kits rather than arfs.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:23 PM
matus777

Probably me but i just noticed a little box/column to the right of the page numbers bar (at bottom of current page), that when activated allows you to navigate to any page you desire in the current thread. I had not noticed this before and it sure makes it easy to get to the construction areas of the thread.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Dave 763,
You want to sell your plane? I didn't get one this time.

Jim
Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

I remember when my dad sold the old corvette cause it always would stall at idle. It was a common problem with the older model vettes. I always give my dad a hard time now cause he got rid of the old vette.

Dave, I think you are like my dad! I know it sucks that we have to fix this plane. Believe me no one more than I because of all the extra work put into the covering (My choice of course). But to say that you don't even want it. WOW that seems a bit extreme. I will make the fix and get it right and guess what, it will be the best and most unique EF Yak in exsistance.

I think Chris has made a fair choice for us and to say you don't want it, well that is ridiculous.

I am sure that you could find someone to buy it, and you could go and get a Wild Hare Extra @ 18.5 Lbs, and be content.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Dave763

Got a nice package deal for sale ...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:38 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

I am so disapointed I don't even want this plane now. Maudib, with all your fine attention to detail I am surprised to hear you say that it looks ok to you. Even more surprised to hear you say you would fly it like that.
I wish I had the time to build as this seems to be the only way to get a decent plane. Now I know why so many top pilots fly kits rather than arfs.
Now that sounds like a shot if I've ever heard one.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Bill_Higgins

If you dont want it Dave, I'll be happy to buy it. I could use a 2nd one for backup.

Mine is slightly off as well, and I intend to fly it and see just how "disapointed" I am with it. Then if I even notice it , I'll fix it myself.

Bill
Old 03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Guy's,

I still haven't picked up mine from my mailbox across the border , but I'm sure with my luck , it will have the issue . I'm glad to hear that it's an easy fix . I think that Chris has made a very fair offer . I'll check min out next Monday when I get back from work.

Question: I'm looking at Pitts style muffler and think I'll go for the Slimline intead of the Bisson because I understand that it has baffles. Can anyone suggest a good place to mail order the Slimline ?

Marc
Old 03-08-2005, 02:49 PM
bodywerks

Guys, I don't know about you, but my fuse is definetly twisted. If you want to know if yours is or not, do this:
1) support the fuse in a stand so that it is steady.
2) take a level and "level" the wing tube (see pic below)
***more info a few posts down***
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75932.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	240387  
Old 03-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Dave763

Can you say ebay?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Bill_Higgins

Can you say ebay?
Yes I can......whats the ad number.

Bill
Old 03-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Dave763

Definetly twisted, no doubt

Guys, I don't know about you, but my fuse is definetly twisted. If you want to know if yours is or not, do this:
1) support the fuse in a stand so that it is steady.
2) take a level and "level" the wing tube (see pic below
Old 03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
bodywerks

Now, without disturbing the fuse, take that level and measure the vertical fin as pictured below. You can see that the bubble is not off by the same amount...you can see that, in the left photo, the bubble is almost centered between the lines and, in the right photo, the bubble is halfway out of the left line.

Name:	Nk28052.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	240389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52459.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	240390  
Old 03-08-2005, 02:56 PM
bodywerks

I know these pics are not accuraate, but my H stab IS purpendicular to the vert stab

Given this info, and the fact that everyone's fuse seems to be off a different amount from each others, it appears that there is a quality issue with the wood itself, not the jig. If these airplanes are being built with wood that is too fresh, and given that China has a humid climate, the wood is twisting up once it gets to our drier climate. I supposed one could re jig it, wet it, and re-cure it, but I don't know how permanent that would be...

Name:	Ec88152.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	240391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95519.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	240392  
Old 03-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Dave763

Its going to be a package deal. Buy all of the stuff or none of it. I have not put it up yet.
ORIGINAL: Bill_Higgins

Can you say ebay?
Yes I can......whats the ad number.

Bill
Old 03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Bill_Higgins

Its going to be a package deal. Buy all of the stuff or none of it. I have not put it up yet.
Well, just let us all know when you DO post it.

Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.