Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 01-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Wayne,

your avatar sez it all.

I have the "Other" Yak. Got it dirt cheap from a friend who couldn't stomach building it. It is a joke. I am getting an EF off the boat, and can't wait. And the comparison will be posted. You already know the results. It is just a matter of semantics, now. Notice how they are not for sale anymore....they are NOT sold out. Hmmmmmm,.....

Bryant,

I bought into the hype and ordered the 68" Yak only to find that it didn't fly as well as everybody said it did. Oh well, live and learn, that is what I get for paying $350 for a small glow plane.
You are in the minority, brother. I don't know your circumstances with your EF 68 , but of 15 people that have flown my 68, every single one of them thought it was the best plane thy had flown. If you know of a plane that flys better , post it. I want one. But I am skeptical, as skeptical as I was about this plane unitl I flew it. 30 seconds later I knew I had found "the plane".

If you call people raving about the best plane they ever had hype , well, we don't read the same dictionary.

The lucky few you got the air shipped 87's are the recipient of a gracious favor by Chris. He could have made everyone wait , but instead, we get to see the first 20 built , and prepare for ours when they come. For that , I am grateful All the work that these guys are going to do will be documented here, and will help us get ours in the air without any hair pulling. Thanks.

Aeroplat, when you take a pic of the stab take it looking straight down on it, with the surfaces in the neutral position. I want to compare them to the POS Reject.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

You keep your opinions and I will keep mine. Thats what makes the world turn. If the 68" yak is the "best" plane that your 15 buddies have flown............. well, never mind. I'm not even sure why I am posting in here, this post is dedicated to the 87" yak and I really have no interest in it. You guys have fun, I'm sure that when it gets here it will be a fun plane. I need to stick to the threads that I can have some input in so doubt I will be back here.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Scott:

I got onto the waiting list for the 87" Yak very late and Chris has assured me that I will be getting one in the first shipment... Since you've been on the waiting list for a while, I would think your's will be sent to you from the first shipment also...

Now the question is whether there will be enough DA-50R's to go around...

Personally, I think I'm going to use a BME 50 instead of the DA-50R... I started a thread over in the Gas Engine forum posing a question about which is better, a DA-50R or the BME 50... Interesting responses...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...tm.htm#2480431

Also, there has been a thread circulating that the DA-50R's are not as good as all the hype...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Does...1713333/tm.htm

Not trying to hijack the thread... Just pose interesting alternatives...
Old 01-03-2005, 05:15 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

The lucky few you got the air shipped 87's are the recipient of a gracious favor by Chris. He could have made everyone wait , but instead, we get to see the first 20 built , and prepare for ours when they come. For that , I am grateful All the work that these guys are going to do will be documented here, and will help us get ours in the air without any hair pulling. Thanks.
You are right. The airfreighted Yak's are something that Chris did that was completely over the top.
The cost to airfrieght them over IS NOT CHEAP. Who is taking the financial brunt of that? Chris.
The 20 lucky people should be labelled the 20 loyal people. These are people who have been on the list from day one.
Its as simple as that.

This crap I am reading about not being able to get one is BS.
If you are just hearing about this plane and want one on the first run, thats not going to be possible.
If you have heard about this plane and didnt get on the list or were on the list and cancelled whos fault is that?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Bosshossv8

I am getting my DA-50R tonite at a club meeting from a member who got one in anticipation of the 87 Yak. He is going to try a BME instead. I have NEVER bought a motor first , while waiting for a plane. Speaks volumes.

Never mind the distraction, what prop was used in the EF 87 Video, and the video posted here by Mokken?

Thanks for the links to the motor threads.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
wgeffon

I think the video I took Chris is using either a 22x10 Mejzlik or a 24x8 Menz-S
Those are going to be the props I will use.
The 22x10 for break-in and the 24x8 after that.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:22 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I need to find out if I'm on the list... pretty psyched about the plane, though I've already used the servos etc I had for the plane in a H9 33% Edge... oh well. Wife says I can have another.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Bosshossv8

after reading the DA thread on stallling during a "bump" I am not so sure I want to risk my EF 87 on it.

5-6 gallon break-in???? WOW. And stalling during Walls and blenders...... After 8 months of that thread there is still no definitive answer to the "problem of bump stalling". Has me a little concerened 60 minutes away from buying a DA. I am still going to buy it, but I hope the problem doesn't rear it's ugly head in my YAK.

Anyone here have that problem....Wayne, did Chris' Yak do this? Or is it bunk? DAgnab it , i wish I hadn't read that thread...man that ryhmes, I am sorry.

Dread sets in.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
newshoundaussie

Didn't stop me from buying another. The engine only stalls at low idle as the plane touches down, most times you can catch it with a bit of throttle management at touchdown. The engine has never quit in the air and my 2nd DA 50 doesn't do it.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:59 PM
aegis

Boss - I have been visiting some of the fields in my area over the past few weeks to see what's happening locally regarding the DA50. 3 out of 5 people I talked to have the problems described in the thread you mentioned. One of the engines having problems is new and the other two each have about five gallons through them. The owners of the two with time on the engines said it isn't quite as bad, but the problem is certainly still there. A couple of those having problems showed me what happens. It's just like what's described in the thread. Needless to say, those who are having problems are not happy at all especially considering the DA is supposed to be the top of the heap. The two who aren't having problems are very happy with the engine.

(Not trying to start a DA versus anything else argument, or slam DA. Just relating what I have found doing my own inquiries).

Dan
Old 01-03-2005, 08:07 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

my da 50 ran flawless and it gets many bumps as owner taxi way has had cracks and repaired i taxi right over them no prob and there is at least 4 other people that i fly with who also have the same engine and no prob except one DA50r had a rod come lose and popped the cylinder off took about 7 days and he had it back and running from da that engine had its far share of flights othere with more and less flights no other probs no bumps impare our ground control
Old 01-03-2005, 08:11 PM
wgeffon

I have heard of the "bump" thing.
One guy I know flies the DA-50 right now and is well versed in this issue but after seeing him run his 50 all summer I never saw a hint of what they are talking about.
He thinks he has almost had his engine quit a few times because of it. But, from the times I have been standing there I couldnt tell what he was talking about. Keep in mind, he had the TX and I did not.
Even if its a ligitimate problem I'd rather be sending my motor in for DA's service than anywhere else.

I have ZERO hesitation using a DA-50 on this Yak.
ZERO!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

This is what I'm running for a receiver battery. I know there are several ways to setup your battery, but this setup will result in the absolute smallest amount of voltage loss caused by connectors & wires.

4800 Li Ion Fromeco Battery w/ 14 guage wire and a Deans connector
Fromeco Failsafe regulator with three 22awg output leads - the three output leads all plug into the receiver

For those of you who don't know, fail safe regulators do not pass a current through a switch so there is no voltage loss caused by it.

Other battery setups will work just fine. However, they will not deliver 8A continuous at 6V. Mine will. For those of you who say the plane will not see 8A, refer to the first sentence in this paragraph.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44692.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	210278  
Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 PM
aegis

wgeffon - Are you aware of anyone who has sent in their DA50 for these particular "bump" problems and had the problem fixed? The reason I ask is that, at least from what I've been able to gather, DA isn't sure exactly what is causing the problem. I wish they could figure it out. I've been waiting since last summer to finally sell my Moki and go gas and wanted to get the DA50.

Dan
Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 PM
wgeffon

Dan,

No I am not aware of anyone sending it in for this problem.
Is it really a "known" problem? I dont know. I am just asking.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:09 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

For what it's worth, I just finished reading all ten pages of this thread. I have been thinking of getting a gasser for some time but the big ticket outlay has always put me off. I believe I will have a decent bonus in March so I can afford the plane and engine in one shot. It's really beyond my skills but I don't have to push myself on this plane to enjoy it. I can get my jollies with my EF profile Edge and my other profiles. Is Chris doing any package deals or plane/engine combos? I hope there are some still available when I get the cash to buy one!
Thanks,,,Matt
Old 01-03-2005, 09:14 PM
wgeffon

Matt,

I've seen you fly. This plane is not at all beyond you. Sheeeessh... if Drew is getting one you'll be fine.
I would put your name on the list now. That way when your name comes up you can decide at that time if you want it.
If your name isnt on the list theres no way to gurantee there will be one when you are ready.

Just a hunch (and I know I am biased) but, I think the second run of this plane will be even more popular than the first.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:19 PM
going vert

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Sheeeessh... if Drew is getting one you'll be fine.
I would put your name on the list now.
Ya - that's funny..... I might suck at flying, but my digitals will see 8 full amps of juice. LOL!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Bosshossv8

Nice power setup Drew. Where di you get it, the LHS?

Update on my DA-50R , I just got back from our club meeting www.rsmrc.com and my friend still had the DA on a plane , new , never run, but still on the plane. If a package deal for the whole setup goes south, I get the motor. Very pretty motor. Shame to cover it up.

The bump/tilt stall problem will have to be dealt with , if it shows. DA has re-created the problem, and I bet something will be done or said about it, by them. I don't like hearing about it, but, it's better than not knowing about it, and having it happen to you. [X(]
Old 01-03-2005, 09:35 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

My DA does the bump thing, but it's not really bad. My solution is to have an idle-up programmed onto a switch for in flight... it keeps me from stalling in blenders, etc (I had it quit entering a blender when brand new and the idle was MUCH too low... dead stick was no problem). I flip to switch to lower the idle for landing, and since I always land smoothly it's not a problem!!! I DO wish there was a fix, though.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:43 PM
going vert

No - www.fromeco.org

They have the best pricing that I have come across. That setup cost me $119, but it's got lots of extra stuff that is not totally necessary (but very cool). Wayne - zip it!

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Nice power setup Drew. Where di you get it, the LHS?

Update on my DA-50R , I just got back from our club meeting www.rsmrc.com and my friend still had the DA on a plane , new , never run, but still on the plane. If a package deal for the whole setup goes south, I get the motor. Very pretty motor. Shame to cover it up.

The bump/tilt stall problem will have to be dealt with , if it shows. DA has re-created the problem, and I bet something will be done or said about it, by them. I don't like hearing about it, but, it's better than not knowing about it, and having it happen to you. [X(]
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

One last note... this "problem" doesn't seem to be of any consequence in the air... noone (that I am aware of) has mentioned the engine flaming out in the air... just on the ground taxiing... and ONLY when the idle is low.

I NEVER have had my engine quit at all. I don't see the problem when I go out, just on touchdown.

To me it's not a problem persay...

Here is a [link=http://www.renderwurx.com/proofs/mydv2.wmv]video[/link] of my Double Vision... it shows at the end the exact "problem" where you'll notice the rpm drop significantly at touchdown. But it doesn't quit... there's also come pretty harsh walls and waterfalls that is snapping the heck out of the engine... it never stutters...

It is SOOOOO smooth on the throttle... when I give it a click it gives me a clickful... no coughing, stuttering... nada...

"Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout"
Old 01-03-2005, 10:00 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: going vert

Wayne - zip it!

Wayne: Hello.
Drew: Hey Wayne whats up? Its Drew.
Wayne: Not much
Drew: I am going to re-wire my entire 3.0M Composite ARF.
Wayne: *** are you going to do that for?
Drew: Jason says I am getting blow-back on my rudder.
Wayne: Hmmm Seems like a lot of work for nothing. You think you'll notice a difference?
Drew: No. Not at all but I will feel better about it.
Wayne: Does it fly bad now? (Knowing that it doesnt)
Drew : No
Wayne: Ok let me know how that works out for you in 2007 when you finish it.

OCD and ADD together is a sad thing.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Bosshossv8

Well, than at least we know what to be prepared for. I will watch te vid. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
going vert

Hey now......

I just get off the phone with Wayne...

Drew: Did you read my post about the battery setup?
Wayne: Ya that setup looks really cool.
Drew: Ya - the anodized blue heat sink is KA
Wayne: Those connectors probably are better than the normal setup.
Drew: I know. I'm going to be drawing 8A all day long!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.