Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: dgfick

Wayne, can I fly your Yak on Saturday while we are waiting for the RTV to dry?

Absolutely.
You can also fly it after the RTV dries.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:23 AM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

Sweet....I was thinking about it and for about 30 seconds last night I thought that I shouldn't even fly it if I got the chance, just because I know that I'd have to order one shortly after........then I came to me senses and said if I had the opportunity I would. Its only money right? LOL
Old 03-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Bill_Higgins

Im going to be at an IMAC contest this weekend with Hueffmeier, and Chip. I'm going to take the Yak along with me, and maybe if the weather behaves I can get some video of those boy's flying it as well. I'll post a full report on my website when I get back.

Bill
Old 03-17-2005, 11:34 AM
wgeffon

Dave,

Dont be dumb.
Call Chris and order one now. That way when you fly it you will be even happier knowing you have one coming.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
wgeffon

Awesome Bill.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

Wayne, what prop are you currently using, is it what you started out with for break in and do you intend on changing to something later? And to everyone what seems to be the best all around for 3D and precision if it had to be just one size? (for the DA w/std. muff) Are the wood props lighter than the carbon ones?

Sorry for all the Q's

thanks.....Joel
Old 03-17-2005, 12:34 PM
wgeffon

I started with a Mejzlik 22x10 and have now switched to a Menz-S 24x8.
All of the videos of my plane from the Atlanta trip were taken using the Menz.

I am going to go fly it today and should finish out the break in fuel/oil mix. (Amzoil Sabre 100:1 after that)
It will also be the first run since the carb block mod.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:07 PM
matus777

"I am going to go fly it today"

No snow down your way apparently? Plenty up here today; Wayne who's your source for Sabre?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:09 PM
wgeffon

We have a place here that carries it.
There is also an Amzoil distributor in Manteno that we use sometimes.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

I finally got to fly mine !! and OMG, the 20 month wait was worth it ! It truly is incredible, the phrase "inspires confidence" couldn't be more true. I have never been terribly good at inverted harriers, especially on planes that rock their wings, since you have to dampen that out with quick aileron inputs, but this thing is rock solid. I flew quite a bit in a "harrier" flying figure 8's, rectangular patterns, quick "pirouetting" turns, climbing and decending, etc and it's solid, inverted and right side up, no wing rock, it was an amazing sight. Like everyone said, it really makes you look good.

I pulled into torque roll fairly high, after a second or two it just locked in, I didn't plan to come down too low, but it just decended so steady, just a rollin, with nary an input, I brought it down really low, about 15', low enough the guys couldn't believe it was the first flight, LOL

Knife edge is fantastic, I mixed in about 5-6% up elevator with rudder, but as to be expected it varies with speed. If you prefer high speed knife edge, there is no coupling, as you get real slow it pitches a bit to the belly, but it's very predictable and easily corrected.

The flat spins are a sight to behold, just like we've seen on the videos, no tricks, nothing fancy required, just spin it, apply a little opposite aileron, add a little power, and voila! perfect, even right side up, I don't know that I've ever had an airplane that would spin that flat right side up. And recoveries are instant, you just neutralize the rudder, keep the elevator in there, and just recover to a harrier ! With some practice I should be able to spin it down real low, and still recover with confidence.

The elevators are very nice as well, With ungodly amounts of elevator throw, I was surprised it decended so nose low power off, but add just a touch of power, and it flattened right out, just falling out of the sky, again, no wing rock, and the transition from elevator to harrier is smooth and controlled, it's not real abrupt, just wanting to "wall" again, It made me look good !

The Brison has plenty of power and ran like a top, it's not ballistic, especially compared to the guys and their piped little 3 lb fun flys, but it has more than enough power to do anything, you can do unlimited vertical rolls, and there is plenty of power to flop it over the top on a waterfall, so I'm happy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30208.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	245336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93397.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	245337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68462.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	245338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96578.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	245339  
Old 03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
BBriBro

Sorry, no in flight pics, I was the one with the radio and the camera !

but here are a few more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59152.jpg
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	245342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69754.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	245343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22038.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	245344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf95815.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	245345  
Old 03-17-2005, 05:33 PM
wgeffon

Thats great to hear Brian.
I knew you'd like it.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Awesome BriBro! Great report... but what else could it have been?

Tickles me you got some flight time in. Try and get some video eh? Drew can host it on his site for ya...

-Jdavid
Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 PM
flat spin

Great report, I am seriously looking forward to my maiden now. I really don't think you can get an idea of how this thing fly's unless you've flown it. Anyway tomorrow big day, no work answer machine will be "Sorry at the Field" I just hope nothing goes wrong.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:46 PM
rmh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well shucks -I am am going to give it a go -----------
I will have to use a paint brush to mark "this side up" - but I can do that.
what colors go with white?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 PM
BBriBro

I did have one "mishap" , during some maneuver I heard a strange noise, thought it could have been something structural, it was that kind of "snap" I was kinda worried, and then the other guys didn't think it was critical, they thought maybe it was the strip of clear monokote sealing my hinge gaps, since that does creak a bit when flexed, but I doubt you'd hear that in the air. Anyway I flew for a few more minutes, trying to get the rudder timing down on the waterfalls (not using much aileron there) did a couple torque rolls, (again not much aileron) then I did a long vertical climb, a few vertical rolls, it was then that I noticed it wasn't rolling well, I thought it must just be going slower since I was climbing straight up, but I wanted to have a look anyway, so I landed, on final I could see the aileron linkage dangling under the right wing. I knew why It wasn't rolling well, since I had only one working aileron (funny thing though, it was still axial ) I thought the horn ripped out of the aileron (bad glue joint or something) then I saw that end was connected, and I thought "there is no way I could have snapped that CF servo arm" then as I was taxiing back I saw the entire CF arm intact, and thought I just snapped the screw. It turns out the screw fell out. I have never had that happen, I guess I forgot to lock tite it, being metal geared servos, those fine machine threads will vibrate lose. The biggest amazment, was that there was no flutter, I mean I couldn't even really tell other than the slower roll rate. I can't believe it didn't flutter with that big aileron literally flopping around. I guess that proves how slow it flys.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Looks like I want be the first person from KY to fly the yak Oh, well second is first place looser but with this plane I think we are all going to be winners!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:03 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Another reminder for me to check everything four times. Never thought about lock-tite on the servo horn screws but I've never used MG servos either.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Shouldn't be an issue with this plane, but it is an appropriate spot to mention it...

Do NOT use loctite on the "Karbonite" servo arms.. It breaks the material down and can cause the arm to slip on the output shaft. Also don't use it on plastic or Karbbonite gear servos.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:19 PM
rmh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use a really BIG screwdriver --
Old 03-17-2005, 09:26 PM
sheetsg

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

I pulled into torque roll fairly high, after a second or two it just locked in, I didn't plan to come down too low, but it just decended so steady, just a rollin, with nary an input, I brought it down really low, about 15', low enough the guys couldn't believe it was the first flight, LOL
Where did you end up for weight & balence (CG)?

Greg.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:57 PM
ten pillows

Since we are sharing mishaps... let me share mine. We no sooner than got my Yak in the air then the throttle linkage came disconnected. Fortunately it was at a low speed, so 35 minutes later, when the gas ran out, we dead sticked it in. Well needless to say, the guy flying it for me was doing all his favorite moves, and I might add the plane performed beautifully. Anyway we went onto the field to bring the plane off and when he reached down to rotate the prop sideways he noticed the engine was loose. TWO engine bolts, the front ones on the DA50 had come out. BOTH were on the same side of the plane, so......needless to say I am just thanking my lucky stars that I didn't lose the complete plane on the first flight! And yes, I did lock tight the new ones in and then I noticed here on the thread that is not recommended. Yikes, I don't know, better safe than sorry. My next flight however, was superb.

Let me just say that in my 9 short months flying I have built probably 9 planes, owned and flew 19 planes and 14 still survive. Convincing my wife to stick with me and be patient has been like pulling teeth at the dentist without anesthetic! Ha! Needless to say, with almost 3K wrapped up in this plane, if I had lost it, I might not be here anymore to share this scary, but beautiful tale with you guys. Life is sweet though, my Yak is safe and I live to keep building and flying anything I can get my hands on! Ha again, she didn't hear that!

The only plane so far I can say hovers any easier than this Yak is my 27% Ultimate. Both are powered by DA. I am a blessed man!

ten pillows
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 AM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Ten pillows, the guys were talking about the carb attach bolts , I believe. In any case, you DEFINITELY want to locktite EVERY standoff screw. Being an aircraft mechanic, I am thinking of drilling some holes in the heads and using some .025 safety wire...only if I get bored, though.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:48 AM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

I did have one "mishap" ... It turns out the screw fell out. I have never had that happen, I guess I forgot to lock tite it, being metal geared servos, those fine machine threads will vibrate lose. The biggest amazment, was that there was no flutter, I mean I couldn't even really tell other than the slower roll rate. I can't believe it didn't flutter with that big aileron literally flopping around. I guess that proves how slow it flys.
Forst off the plane looks NICE!!! I just can't get over how (sorry moderators) *****IN' this darn Yak looks!!! I like the cockpit. What was the AUW of your plane with that Brison and Pitts setup???
Secondly, in addition to locktiting the screw, a dab of silicone over and around the screw head is a secondary safety feature you may want to consider. After racing 1/8 nitro offroad for a couple years, you learn that, sometimes, even locktite is not enough!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Do NOT use loctite on the "Karbonite" servo arms.. It breaks the material down and can cause the arm to slip on the output shaft. Also don't use it on plastic or Karbbonite gear servos.
Do the Karbonite servos have a tapped output shaft for a machine screw? or do they just use a sheet metal type screw like a plastic geared servo?

ORIGINAL: sheetsg

Where did you end up for weight & balence (CG)?

Greg.
My CG is at the rear of the yellow stripe, which is the rear of the wing tube, which is within the recommended range (maybe 2/3 of the recommended range) the weight is 16 lb 3 oz.

ORIGINAL: ten pillows

...........the throttle linkage came disconnected. Fortunately it was at a low speed, so 35 minutes later, when the gas ran out, we dead sticked it in. ...........................he noticed the engine was loose. TWO engine bolts, the front ones on the DA50 had come out. BOTH were on the same side of the plane, so
Wow, the throttle linkage is bad enough on a first flight, but then the engine bolts too? The outcome could have been much worse !

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

in addition to locktiting the screw, a dab of silicone over and around the screw head is a secondary safety feature you may want to consider.
That's a good idea, I think i'll do that, I'm going to use a lock washer and lock tite, and now, the silicone too I'm kinda paranoid now, since I've never had that happen before. I have a feeling it will be in the air a lot, and with lithiums and the large fuel tank, long flights are possible, (my 1st flight was 20 min) which means it won't be getting as frequent inspections, I want it to be reliable, and as maintenance free as possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.