Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 03-21-2005, 05:39 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: stomper

I finally got some time to look over my fuselage and on at least my fuse the horizontal tube is right where it needs to be.

It is perfectly square to the vertical stab, so there is no twist in at least my fuse which makes sense as there is not one wrinkle in the covering on the bottom of my fuse!
If it had twisted in shipping you can bet there would be a lot of wrinkles in the covering.

I then checked the wing tube and found one side to be 3/16" lower then the other side. Bingo! Wing tube needs to be moved.

If time allows I'll be out fly my Yak in about ten days and I can't wait !!!!
Whoa, there, pardner!!! Hold up...
"It is perfectly square to the vertical stab"
I agree. That's how mine was.

"there is no twist in at least my fuse which makes sense as there is not one wrinkle in the covering on the bottom of my fuse!
If it had twisted in shipping you can bet there would be a lot of wrinkles in the covering."
Actually, I don't agree here. I think, for one, these fuses were built precision straight, in the bones, at the factory. However, while this fuse is plenty strong for the loads it will endure in flight, it is still possible to flex it.
The reason there are no wrinkles in the covering (my opinion here) is because it didn't twist on the boat ride over, it twisted when the fuse was covered! As far as I know, the plane is not covered while in a jig, so it is suseptible to all kinds of twist!! This covering is among the thickest and strongest stuff I have seen, so, when it is shrunk, it has some measureable force. I believe that, when they were covering it, there were wrinkles in the covering, and the fuse was still straight. Then they heat-gunned them out and twisted the fuse in the process. This is why everyone who has a stab misalignment is off by different amounts, and some twist left, some twist right.

"I then checked the wing tube and found one side to be 3/16" lower then the other side. Bingo! Wing tube needs to be moved."
I hope you think really hard before doing this OR the stab tube mod!! Please take what I have already said into consideration, and also realize that these things are jig-built to eliminate the possibility of such an error. Also, if you move the wing tube, you'd have to move both alignment pins, the bold hole, and likely re-trim the cutout in the fuse!!!
If you would like to know what I did, and Dave763 did, go to about page 98 or 99 and look at the pics. Mine was twisted and this fixed it, in like 25 minutes!! I just plugged my wings and stabs in today, two weeks since the twist & jig, and they are within 1/32" of each other, if not perfect.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:54 PM
bodywerks

Got my wings and stabs finished and plugged in and got a little antsy, as I am curious as to how much my plane is going to weigh...
I have everything but the engine, standoffs, and ignition module, so I weighed everything, still in the package if it had one. I am running:
Pete models spinner
23X8 NX prop
smatr-fly ignition module and regulator
Fromeco 2400 ign., 4800 rx w/super reliaswitch
4 5945's, 1 8611, 1 5245
SWB arms
Chip hyde silencer with header
16oz tank
no whell pants and Dave brown treaded lite wheels (3.25")
Total weight, less eng., standoffs, & ign. module = 11 lbs, 14.5oz.
According to DA, the weight of the engine with standoffs, is 3 lbs, 2oz. which I don't think includes the ignition module and I think it weighs 4-5 ounces.
So, it looks like I will be at 15 lbs, 5oz. Not bad, considering the Hyde silencer and header weighs 14 ounces. I just hope I'm right on the engine weight!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt that the covering caused the problem.This is the best explanation for the different amounts and directions of twist.

Stomper, I would be careful about moving the wing tube. Sounds like a bad idea to me. If you are sure the wing tube is off then I would contact Chris. Without looking at it , I would say that is not your problem.
ORIGINAL: bodyworks

ORIGINAL: lex2bits

It's curious to me that no one noticed any wrinkles from the warping of the fuse, but they appear when straightening.

In this arid SW climate, some of us let our new ARF's sit for a week or two to let the wood dry out, and then take the warps out using the same methods as you guys. Some parts warp a lot and some not at all. I don't think it's bad wood..... just the fact that wood warps when moisture is introduced or when it dries.

Ray
Actually, Its interesting you brought that up! Mine had ZERO wrinkles when it was shipped to me. It is possible that when they put the covering on, they twisted the fuse then and it was twisted before it even got on the boat. This, too would explain the varying amounts and directions of twists in everyone's fuses. Perhaps they need to make a covering jig if they don't already have one...
Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Dave763

Talked to DA today, should have my engine in a couple of weeks. I ordered it about 5 weeks ago! I guess they are waiting for rod bearings, or somthing.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
bodywerks

Talked to them today, too. Mine is the first in line for the rod pins they need. I am hoping it will get here friday....
Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
meatman

Question: wayne... the 24x8 menz that you are running, what rpm are you getting with that prop. It would seem a little large for breaking the motor in on... I am thinking of the 23x8 menz to keep up the rpm to about 6800 with the DA and standard muffler. Even after switching to synthetic oil. Also does the 24x8 menz torque very badly when in the hover... thanks for your feedback...
Old 03-21-2005, 09:16 PM
coche

Menz don´t have a 23 x 8, there are another brands that make that prop, like boly, mejslik and some others
Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 PM
bodywerks

and NX or BME, I believe. Also try air WILD...
Old 03-21-2005, 10:04 PM
romanrc

Hi José

How is the YAK lateral Balance????[:-][:-]
Old 03-21-2005, 10:19 PM
coche

Hi Carlos Roman, I didn't check my lateral balance! [&:] I forgot to check it, but I gues its well balanced as my plane its flying really good! it did not need any trim, and when I make a wall it makes it really good! the plane just stops hard when I pull full elevator and it does not have any bad tendecies!
it also lands preatty awsome! 3 point and very slow landings with out tip stalling! it´s also very satable on harriers! so for all that I guess its well balanced!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: meatman

Question: wayne... the 24x8 menz that you are running, what rpm are you getting with that prop. It would seem a little large for breaking the motor in on...

I dont think we ever tached the 24x8. The motor has no trouble swinging it though.
I ran a Mejzlik 22x10 for the first gallon or so then switched to this prop.
I cant feel its torkin the plane anymore than any other prop. Isnt that what you want though? Fast spinning TR's?
Another reason I like it is because it slows the plane down on downlines.

Drew doesnt know anything about that though because he cant fly a straight downline.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:14 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Anyone waiting on a DA-50R I have a NIB (serial number 2808) never mounted or ran outside of DA's warehouse. I'll do $550.00 shipped if anyone is interested. You could have it this week. It has all the updates including the latest carb spacer block modifications for the idle issues. Send me a PM if interested. I'm using the motor sale to purchase my servos and battery packs. PM for more info. I can post it in the for sale items if I need to.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 AM
bodywerks

Found my Lawnboy ashless, at Walmart of all places!
Anyone have any RPM figures between, well, any 22X10 prop to a 23X8? If there is little to no difference, I may just go straight to my 23X8 NX...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

We were getting 7100 or so out of the Mejzlik 22x10. You're right - we never did tach the 24x8 and the only reason I can't fly down lines is because I'm using the 10X on that plane. I can't figure that controller out - it does not have enough screens...

No really, I'm running the 9Z on the Yak. I just realized last night that sticks on the 9Z (screwed all the way in) are a lot larger than the 10X sticks.

Does anyone know where to get low profile sticks for the 9Z?

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

ORIGINAL: meatman

Question: wayne... the 24x8 menz that you are running, what rpm are you getting with that prop. It would seem a little large for breaking the motor in on...

I dont think we ever tached the 24x8. The motor has no trouble swinging it though.
I ran a Mejzlik 22x10 for the first gallon or so then switched to this prop.
I cant feel its torkin the plane anymore than any other prop. Isnt that what you want though? Fast spinning TR's?
Another reason I like it is because it slows the plane down on downlines.

Drew doesnt know anything about that though because he cant fly a straight downline.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Dave763

What good are the servos and batterys gonna do ya if you sell your engine? Are you going to go with a different engine? If so what?
ORIGINAL: cadconversions

Anyone waiting on a DA-50R I have a NIB (serial number 2808) never mounted or ran outside of DA's warehouse. I'll do $550.00 shipped if anyone is interested. You could have it this week. It has all the updates including the latest carb spacer block modifications for the idle issues. Send me a PM if interested. I'm using the motor sale to purchase my servos and battery packs. PM for more info. I can post it in the for sale items if I need to.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Dave763

NX is Air Wild
ORIGINAL: bodyworks

and NX or BME, I believe. Also try air WILD...
Old 03-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

What good are the servos and batterys gonna do ya if you sell your engine? Are you going to go with a different engine? If so what?
quote:

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

He bought two engines. The first one he ebayed, and then the one he ordered from Desert showed up.....
Old 03-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Dave763

Oh, well if I didn't have one on the way. I would have been all over it, had it been up for sale in early Feb. I not only need the DA, I'm waiting for the Hitec 5955tg to become available again. [&o] Only God knows when that might be.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:18 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Yep, Ric is correct. Two motors and only one plane. I paid $550.00 for both motors and after I bought the first one DA called me to tell me that my motor had shipped after waiting for it.

Do you think a multi-engine yak would work well?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: going vert

Does anyone know where to get low profile sticks for the 9Z?

Yes.
Call Horizon and tell them you want a 9303 or a 10X.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
bodywerks

thanks Drew. Anyone running the 23X8??? what R's you gettin???
Old 03-22-2005, 10:02 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.
Call Horizon and tell them you want a 9303 or a 10X.

Wayne
And you call this guy your friend?? What you need Drew is a shiny new 14MZ... then you can fly circles around your buddy because teh processor is twice as fast.... Initial flying reports with this radio are very impressive.....

I've lost two many helis from JR transmitters.....

Flame suit on.....<g>

Mike
Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 AM
wgeffon

Drew needs to chime in with how he really feels about the radios.
He currently flies both so I take his opinion as pretty valid.

I did get to mess around with a 14MZ a few weeks ago. Very nice. Very easy to program.
Lots of cool stuff on it.

Bottom line as far as I am concerned, its all good stuff. Use what you like.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ordered a DA50 from Don's Hobbies friday and they had it in stock and I should have it today or tomorrow.
Just need to decide what muffler, get a prop, rec. and bettery set up and 'll be good to go!!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:35 AM
romanrc

Very good news José. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.