Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 03-23-2005, 03:19 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: r180reef

cuz you will need at least two slots to plug in batteries, and one for ignition cutoff
Two batt's and a cutoff are not required. There are 2 slots opened up.
Not two batteries, but two battery plugs to split up the current draw. Using only one plug will limit you to 3 amps, you may pull more, momentarily, but impedence will be a killer! Drew is using three, which is a little overkill (or super safe), but I would never run less than two!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:24 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Again, if it's not PCM, scrap it!!!

*new can of worms*

There is nothing wrong with flying this plane on PPM (FM)
I have flown SEVERAL gassers without using PCM.

PCM is not less suceptable than PPM. They just handle the noise differently.
Again,
No right or wrong. Use what your comfortable with.
I did not say it would not work, just not as well and not worthy, IMO, for a plane of this caliber. The main reason is its 512 bit resolution vs. PCM's 1024, or 2048. On control surfaces this large, 512 bit becomes quite noticeably sloppy, for lack of a better term. And you can't argue that a PCM signal is not more solid than FM...
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 AM
bodywerks

ANOTHER BUILDER'S NOTE

You may want to check your ailerons once you get them hinged to the wing. There is a possibility they will be twisted. Again, this is not a wood warping issue or building flaw on EF's part, just something that can happen when covering an area this large. I had one twisted aileron, one not. To check it, tape the inboard TE of the aileron to the TE of the wing so they are parallel and Zero incidence. Then eyeball or incidence the wing at the outboard end to see if it is off. If it is, keep the I/B TE taped up and just twist it straight (Oxymoron ) at the O/B end and heatgun the wrinkles out. Re check ant re twist as necessary.

I looked at the wings and, after seeing the brilliant engineering in the rib design (jig-locked verticle grain shear webbing in the ribs) and overall wing design, I don't think anyone will have to worry about'em!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:49 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not even going to tell you what I figured out about the 18 guage servo wire extensions that MPI sells. I'm not running them on the yak - the runs are too short. However, on a 40% w/ the elevator extensions - I can get 7% more power out of an 8611 under a 1 amp load by running 18 guage wire.

Wayne - don't ask if I can do a negative snap to the left on a down line though.... lol

cuz you will need at least two slots to plug in batteries, and one for ignition cutoff
Not two batteries, but two battery plugs to split up the current draw. Using only one plug will limit you to 3 amps, you may pull more, momentarily, but impedence will be a killer! Drew is using three, which is a little overkill (or super safe), but I would never run less than two!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:20 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: going vert

Wayne - don't ask if I can do a negative snap to the left on a down line though.... lol

Or,
A negative 3/4 snap to the right on a vertical upline.
.......Oh yeah, thats me struggling with that one. Not you.
[:@]
Old 03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

Is there a reason to spend an extra $140.00 for 12 oz/in or torque and 0.05 sec of time? I can't think of a reason but maybe there is...
YES !! the 56xx servos use a 3 pole motor, the 59xx are coreless, that to me makes a big difference. We get all wrapped up in the word "digital" which is only the way the signal is processed, it is still possible to have a crappy digital servo, and they are starting to make some lower end models now. more affordable "sport" digitals, but to be honest, I'd rather have an old analog coreless servo over a "cheap" digital. Don't get me wrong, digitals are great, I use them almost exclusively now, but that alone doesn't make them the best choice, the coreless motors really make a difference in smooth movement and precise centering.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks BB, that was the answer I was looking for....the real difference.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:23 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: turbo4

While on the radio issue I would like some comments on the Hitec Eclipse 7, anyone else using this? Other than being limited to 7 channels, whats wrong with it?
Now Joel, why but why did you ask that question here???
Bodyworks can run his PCM all he wants, but for the rest of you, I have flown large aerobatic gassers for the last four years on PPM, single battery, single switch and never never never had a problem. I am not saying PCM is bad, I am just not a part of that plan. Many of you will run this plane PPM, single battery and it will be fine. Read the article in the AMA magazine about 4 months ago that Hurley wrote in the Scale Aerobatics column referring to the overkill stuff guys are doing and how there is no reason for it. When applicable, use this principle "KISS" it stands for keep is simple stupid.
Jeff W.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:16 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: JWilliams

While on the radio issue I would like some comments on the Hitec Eclipse 7, anyone else using this? Other than being limited to 7 channels, whats wrong with it?
Bodyworks can run his PCM all he wants, but for the rest of you, I have flown large aerobatic gassers for the last four years on PPM, single battery, single switch and never never never had a problem. I am not saying PCM is bad, I am just not a part of that plan. Many of you will run this plane PPM, single battery and it will be fine. Read the article in the AMA magazine about 4 months ago that Hurley wrote in the Scale Aerobatics column referring to the overkill stuff guys are doing and how there is no reason for it. When applicable, use this principle "KISS" it stands for keep is simple stupid.
Jeff W.
I don't care for PCM either. Been flying PPM for many years now, though I do use dual battery packs/ switchs on 35% and up. If your getting mild hits you have more of a chance of getting that plane on the ground with PPM then going into lock out on a PCM receiver.
Different strokes.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:28 PM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

The fact that it'2 only 7 channels and if it's not pcm its worthless. I guess you could get away with a matchbox for your elevators to open up a slot in the receiver, cuz you will need at least two slots to plug in batteries, 2 for ailerons, one for rudder, one or two for elevator, one for throttle, and one for ignition cutoff. You will need a matchbox on the elevator to run all this stuff...
Again, if it's not PCM, scrap it!!!

The one I have is the pcm version. I guess I was just looking for others that might be using the E7 to discuss/compare setups, not start a PCM vs. PPM debate.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:58 PM
J. AVANT

Can anyone remember what page Drew's tuned pipe mount was on I looked through 38 and went blind.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

It seems to me that a 7 channel radio with a eight channel reciever will work. The battery/batteries can go into any open slot. Airleons in 1&6, elevator in 2&5( E7 has 5 user programmable mixes), throttle in 3, rudder in 4, batt. or kill switch in 7 and 8 for another batt. AFAIK the 8th channel can be used for a battery on a 7 channel radio( or a 9 channel reciever w/ batts in 8&9, still leaving channel 7 for a cutoff), if not please tell me. Im not seeing where I would need a matchbox or y-harnesses. I have not used any other computer radios......are the channel mixing capabilites done differently than "master and slave channels"? I don't know, maybe I'm way off here[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: J. AVANT

Can anyone remember what page Drew's tuned pipe mount was on I looked through 38 and went blind.
Might be easier to find the pics here. [link=http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/construction.htm]http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/construction.htm[/link] Is that what you were looking for?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:16 PM
J. AVANT

Thanks BBRIBRO, that was it.

I was trying to see in the pic. how Drew secured the stinger to the pipe? Can't see it in the pic though.

Yhanks, J.Avant
Old 03-23-2005, 04:32 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: stomper

ORIGINAL: JWilliams

Jeff W.
I don't care for PCM either. Been flying PPM for many years now, though I do use dual battery packs/ switchs on 35% and up. If your getting mild hits you have more of a chance of getting that plane on the ground with PPM then going into lock out on a PCM receiver.
Different strokes.
I don't run PCM for the failsafe, in fact I always inhibit it. I am not a fan of "lock-up", either. I will say it again for those that don't read my posts the whole way through...
I chose PCM over PPM for the RESOLUTION! I don't know about everyone else, but on a plane this big or bigger, I notice the difference between 512 and 1024 bit operation. Heck, you can even see it on the ground!
Jwilliams can go ahead and fly with only one battery wire for six high-powered digital servos and KISS...to each his own. I never said anyone was wrong for chosing PPM or a Hitec radio or that they would not work, I just gave my advice...take it or leave it

Now let's close the can of worms and get back to Yak talk!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:35 PM
bodywerks

I was trying to see in the pic. how Drew secured the stinger to the pipe? Can't see it in the pic though.

Yhanks, J.Avant
Are you talking about the stinger or the header? As far as I know, the stinger is welded to the pipe, so you must be talking about the header?? It is secured to the pipe with a piece of tubing and some clamps.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Stratos

I know it's been discussed before but I tried looking back for it and it's like looking for a needle
in a haystack..lol

My question is how do we fix it, if the canopy tabs and holes on the sides of the fuse don't line up.

Thanks,

Stratos.-
Old 03-23-2005, 06:29 PM
coche

Stratos, the best way to fix it its to fill the holes with a dowel ( glue it with 30 min epoxy ) and after epoxy cures sand the dowels flush on both sides..
install the canopy and with a ded center mark the new locations of the holes, drill the new holes and install your blind nuts...
Old 03-23-2005, 08:04 PM
going vert

Not sure I understand the question....

What is a stinger?

Yhanks, J.Avant
Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 PM
jpa2002
My Feedback: (115)

You can get the 5955 from AirWild, as that is where I just got mine.

Jon
Old 03-23-2005, 08:31 PM
going vert

Wayne - are you selling your TX over in market place......

You are finally making the switch to Futaba. Good man!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:41 PM
wgeffon

LOL.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
J. AVANT

My pipe and stinger are two seperate pieces. I called DA today they told me that all the new pipes come with the stinger tig welded on. Mine is new but i think it was never used as per Rcavaitor the person I bought it from it must be an older version. DA used to order them this way he told me it has been about a year that they had them like mine. I'll just get it tig welded no problem. Thanks, J.Avant.

Yhanks, J.Avant
Are you talking about the stinger or the header? As far as I know, the stinger is welded to the pipe, so you must be talking about the header?? It is secured to the pipe with a piece of tubing and some clamps.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 AM
J. AVANT

The stinger is at the end of the pipe the where the exhaust exits.
ORIGINAL: going vert

Not sure I understand the question....

What is a stinger?

Yhanks, J.Avant
Old 03-24-2005, 06:52 AM
going vert

Got it...

Ya - mine came prewelded - thank god. What a pain in the butt to get that tig welded on there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.