Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 03-26-2005, 10:49 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

So you are running small wire in between your battery , cutoff unit, and up to the ignition module?
After thinking about it, I guess this smart-fly system DOES go between the battery and the power wires off the ignition module, but the other thing I don't get is they keep talking about a switch as well...I was under the impression that this thing IS the switch, but it sounds like they are calling for a regular switch as well!! I think this unit needs a new name...STUPID-FLY!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:24 PM
WaPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bodyworks . I also have a smart fly on my Yak, the switch is still needed on the cutoff module. Smart fly won't power the ignition if you have your radio turned off.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:08 AM
ten pillows

Charles, how's your plane coming? Did you get the aeliron fixed yet? I will fly tomorrow and Monday, weather permitting. How about you? Here are some pict's.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75879.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	249719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53473.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	249720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10110.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	249721  
Old 03-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

So you are running small wire in between your battery , cutoff unit, and up to the ignition module?
After thinking about it, I guess this smart-fly system DOES go between the battery and the power wires off the ignition module, but the other thing I don't get is they keep talking about a switch as well...I was under the impression that this thing IS the switch, but it sounds like they are calling for a regular switch as well!! I think this unit needs a new name...STUPID-FLY!

You still need a manual switch on the ignition... The Smart-Fly goes between the battery and the switch for the ignition... This way, you can manually turn the ignition on/off with the switch, but still be able to cut the power going to the ignition via the Smart-Fly unit on a Rx channel... With the Smart-Fly in place, when you turn on the ignition switch, it is still inactive until you turn on the Rx power switches and activate the channel on the Rx that controls the Smart-Fly unit... The Smart-Fly unit should not be used to replace the manual ignition switch...

Also, make sure the Smart-Fly unit is on a Rx channel that provides 100% positive signal, like the landing gear switch... Not one that is on a knob... Been there, done that...

Old 03-27-2005, 12:09 AM
coche

Budyworks, dont missunderstand what the smart-fly ignition kill its supost to be! the ignition kill its a "safety" devise to help you turn off the engine in case of servo failure, or something like that!
but you still need the switch to power up the sistem! just imegine if you dont install a ignition switch and you have a radio failure! how are you going to kill your engine??

BTW I dont use the ignition cut off sistem, just becouse I like to keep my set ups simple!
Old 03-27-2005, 12:27 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

... The Smart-Fly goes between the battery and the switch for the ignition...
Also, make sure the Smart-Fly unit is on a Rx channel that provides 100% positive signal, like the landing gear switch... Not one that is on a knob... Been there, done that...

Actually, the on/off switch is supposed to go between the battery and smart-fly>this is so you have a positive power cutoff from the smart-fly, which will drain the battery even with the receiver off...that much I know!
Anyway, I got it fixed, but not without some serious solder surgery!! I didn't account for the switch so now my sleek wiring setup is looking like a mess! Oh well[]
I have pretty much got everything setup, except the pipe and fuel line routing, and I removed the engine to epoxy the firewall and such. hopefully the wife will let me work on it tomorrow so I can get it done!
Old 03-27-2005, 01:37 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

ten pillows, looking good. I thought it was still winter up in Washington. That is some nice green grass! Something I haven't seen for a while. Not that I really want to see it cause then I got to cut it[:@]
Matt
Old 03-27-2005, 06:16 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

I hate to re-ask questions but this thread has gotten so long you can't find stuff anymore. A search within a thread would be a cool addition rather than a whole forum or the whole site. Anyway, I used the supplied pull-pull setup. It really worked out much easier than I anticipated but I am concerned about the wires rubbing causing interference. Second, what are you doing to keep the elevator servo extensions in place/under control? And lastly, where are you runnig the rx antenna?
First answer, the wires are teflon/plastic coated, so they will not generate any frequency and they don't rub together hard enough to wear out, at least not any faster than the rest of the plane. If you are still concerned, you can use a piece of 1/64 ply plate and glue it to the fuse in between the wires where they rub.
Second, I don't recommend using CA to secure servo wires. If you ever have to remove them, it will be a PITA, for one, and you risk tearing the wire insulation right off. I found some pretty cool wire retainers at Ace hardware and I am using them all over the place! They have a double-sided adhesive backing so they just stick in place, although I actually glued them down.. I will post a pic of them as soon as I get the inerds of the plane done.
Third, I inserted an antenna tube down the turtledeck, above all the formers except the last one, where I went under it and under the rudder serv rails and glued it in place.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:19 AM
ten pillows

Thanks, and yes it was supposed to be winter but you could hardly call it that this year. We have had a California winter blessed with lots of sunny flying days. Then, come the first day of spring, winter has hit and it has rained 24x7.! Ha, go figure.... Needless to say we are already cutting grass. [:'(] We need serious sun now as our first IMAC fly-in is the 9th and 10th of April and I am still working to get my yak trimmed. It amazes me how nicely this plane lands. Soft as a feather. How about yours?

ten pillows
Old 03-27-2005, 06:46 AM
bodywerks

I am seeing a few things with all the cool pics you ar posting that have raised some eyebrows...

First thing is, for those of you using the SWB rudder servo arm, why aren't you mounting the ball links on the bottom of the servo arm??? The instructions clearly state to do this wherever possible, which it is with the Yak, and common sense should tell you to do it anyway. That common sense being that, with this thick of an arm, the tortional load on the servo output shaft is KILLER! Not to mention that, if you are running the 8611 servo, your problem may be ten fold, as they have admitted a flaw in the servo output shaft bushing being too weak and requiring a bearing...here's more info on that:

JR announces upgrade to 8611 case top

To handle the loads imposed on the gear train, the original case top featured bushing supports for all gear pins.

We’ve become aware however, that certain excessive momentary loads (like those imposed by flutter or the accidental bumping of a surface) may cause the bushing to break loose in the case top and result in excessive play in the servo’s output arm.

Retrofit of damaged case tops is simple: Horizon Service Center will either replace any flyer’s 8611 servo case tops when returned for service or will supply the owner with a replacement case top free of charge.

For further assistance, please contact our product support department at 877-504-0233 or return your 8611 servo/s to:

Also, I am noticing that people are having to put their batteries up on the engine box even when not running the tuned pipe[X(] I have not officially CG'd my plane or mounted my RX battery yet, but a quick pick-up of the fuse at the wing tube holes with engine/prop mounted and cowl kinda in place reveals that my battery may need to go on the engine box as well....I feel real sorry for anyone that DOES have the tuned pipe!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:22 AM
jpa2002
My Feedback: (115)

I have the tuned pipe, and my CG appears to be just behind the yellow stripe on the wing, so I thought that was pretty good. Of course I am using lipos that are all mounted up front, regulators in front of the wing tube, and receiver behind the wing tube.

Jon
Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 AM
jpa2002
My Feedback: (115)

Torqued-Up, why is is not good to put the ignition kill on a rotary knob?

Jon
Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 AM
hw123
My Feedback: (6)

Here are a couple more pics of another one finshed ready for its maiden flight today.

Name:	He97263.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	249808   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43413.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	249809  
Old 03-27-2005, 08:18 AM
hw123
My Feedback: (6)

A couple more of the interior.

Name:	Ec87173.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	249810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53120.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	249811  
Old 03-27-2005, 08:43 AM
matus777

"First thing is, for those of you using the SWB rudder servo arm, why aren't you mounting the ball links on the bottom of the servo arm???"

Bodyworks are you using the SWB arm and if so where did you place your exit slots for the cables relative to the manual directed cutouts?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:50 AM
matus777

"JR announces upgrade to 8611 case top"

I just received, saturday, my replacement case tops from the Ontario warehouse and, you guessed it...LOL, they are identical to the old case tops. Murphy again!

The new case tops are supposed to have a "STAR" pattern underneath for added strength so if you do not see the patten you still have the original cases. Horizon, as usual, will make good on the replacements just don't assume you have the proper goods until you see the difference under the case....also the screw heads are soft so be carefule even with a quality screw driver they are easily stripped!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 AM
torqmeister

Great pictures, guys. I motivates me to keep moving on mine to finish. It won't be long.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:26 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

TenPillows, Why did you cut such a massive hole in the bottom of your cowl? And unless it's a reflection it seems to go sideways up at the left front of the cowl as you look at it from the front, and straight back behind the pipe. What engine are you using?

John
Old 03-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: matus777

The new case tops are supposed to have a "STAR" pattern underneath for added strength so if you do not see the patten you still have the original cases. Horizon,
Can this be seen on the outside of ther servo or do you have to take it apart?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:48 AM
ten pillows

It does go sideways. I am using the stock DA50 muffler. Had to go so far forward to clear the front of the engine. Also, I am new at this, and as you can see no expert. When I recieved my cowl it had two very big cracks in it and when I called Chris he said he was sending a new replacement. I will try to be less invasive on the new one. Aren't you however, supposed to have twice to three times as much vent going out, as coming in? Thanks for your input. Any feedback is appreciated.

ten pillows

Name:	Qo41450.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	249829  
Old 03-27-2005, 10:02 AM
matus777

quote:

ORIGINAL: matus777

The new case tops are supposed to have a "STAR" pattern underneath for added strength so if you do not see the patten you still have the original cases. Horizon,

Can this be seen on the outside of ther servo or do you have to take it apart?

You need to carefully unscrew six screws, 2-top & 4-bottom, and have a look-see under the top of the case.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

... The Smart-Fly goes between the battery and the switch for the ignition...

Actually, the on/off switch is supposed to go between the battery and smart-fly>this is so you have a positive power cutoff from the smart-fly, which will drain the battery even with the receiver off...that much I know!
Anyway, I got it fixed, but not without some serious solder surgery!! I didn't account for the switch so now my sleek wiring setup is looking like a mess! Oh well[]
I have pretty much got everything setup, except the pipe and fuel line routing, and I removed the engine to epoxy the firewall and such. hopefully the wife will let me work on it tomorrow so I can get it done!
Gee, I guess I'll have to re-wire all my airplanes that have a Smart-Fly ignition cutt-off...

All my airplanes with the Smart-Fly unit are wired in the manner I have described and I've never had an issue with the ignition batteries being drained...

Buena Suerte...

Mark

Old 03-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: jpa2002

Torqued-Up, why is is not good to put the ignition kill on a rotary knob?

Jon

Maybe it was my Tx, but when I first started using the Smart-Fly Ignition Cut-Offs, I put it on an Rx channel that was controlled by a rotary knob on my Tx... When activated, the Smart-Fly LED would come on, indicating that the unit was active, but the unit itself was not receiving enough juice / signal to enable the ignition module... No spark to the engine... I futzed around with it for a few days, even contacted Robert Ritchey at Smart-Fly... Finally, I moved it to another channel which was controlled by a switch instead of a knob and voila, it worked...

BTW, do you fly behind Timber Truss in Salem??? When I lived in Roanoke, that was the only club in town...
Old 03-27-2005, 11:18 AM
torqmeister

Ten Pillows- That is a beautiful airplane, I've got to have one of those.. Oh, that's right , I do have one of those.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talking about the JR servo prob, doesn't anyone ever use servo braces?? I'm gonna try to find a pic of what I'm talking about... I thought about making one for the rudder. With the cyclic and collective controls on a heli, the pushrods and servos are asked to do quite a bit of work, we place a brace over the top of the servo wheel that has a bearing in it and attaches into where the servo wheel is traditionally screwed down... This eliminates any sideways load on the servo output shaft.... Wouldn't add more than a few grams, and would compeletely eliminate the fear of screwing up the servo....

this is what I was talking about

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.