Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 03-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Stratos
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Stratos,

Drew and I have the cockpit kits coming as well. We will document the process and give you our opinions on the website.
That's cool Wayne. I'll probably post my experiences with Kregg's kit in here too.

Do you have any idea if www.aero3dgfx.com will have a package for the Yak?
I guess I can pick and choose in the site, but I'm willing to pay for a package
that's already picked up and put together for me...lol

Stratos.-
Old 03-29-2005, 09:24 AM
wgeffon

Stratos,

I am not sure if Mike at Aero3D has a package yet for this plane. If not, I dont think its a problem for him to make one.

Everyone has been posting pricing info for the cockpit kits. This is what Kregg sent me:

I'm not looking to make a killing. Just help support
a few giant scale projects and help fellow modelers
look
good. The digitally illustrated files did take many
hours to develop. I also have the expense of high
quality color laser prints from Kinko's. Basically
that all comes down to a final cost of $45 including shipping. This
includes everything needed for a complete cockpit representation that
is very light and realistic.
Includes floor graphics that look like you are
looking into the fuse
through the cockpit area. Front instrument panel,
rear instrument panel
(3D), plus a rear view down the inside of the fuse.
If you want one two
questions need to be answered.

1. Do you want the version with a pilot (arms &
legs)
in the rear pit photo or the version without. The
version without the pilot still looks very nice with
a
pilot bust installed. I added shadows on the sans
pilot version so the bust does not look like it is
floating.
2. If you do want the pilot visual included, what
color shirt do you need so it matches your pilot
bust.
There are so many different pilots out there that it
is impossible to ensure that colors will match
exactly. However, most busts are a basic red, blue
or
yellow shirt and I can print a version that works
with
about any color. The photo will look 3D with blends
and shadows, so the arms will not simply be a solid blue/red/yellow
and match the bust. having them in the right color
family is enough to look
good. If in you are not sure I recommend going with
the version without
the arms/legs. I like the pilot busts from
www.litepilots.com. They have
a 25% bust named Tony that is pretty nice and I
think it comes with a
red shirt. I can not make the pilot graphic match
exactly, but it looks
good with a variety of pilots. We are just going for
a nice simulation,
not a absolute perfect match.

I can send you a Paypal invoice for payment with a
credit card or you can send me a check. Let me know
if
you are interested
Thx,
Kregg
Old 03-29-2005, 11:48 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think $45 is more than reasonable..... but he threw in that evil KINKO's word!!! He do it somewhere else he could halve the price!!!! <g> I can't stand kinko's, they wanted to charge me $10 to change a jpeg to a pdf... Plus $10 per blown up pic.... I ran over to costco and got it done for $3 a piece!!! 11x14 great quality for $3 per!

Can someone suggest a vendor for a pilot that will match Kregg's cockpit floor???

Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 12:25 PM
wgeffon

www.litepilots.com
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

I don't like the supplied cable connectors for the pull pull. I coiled the end of the cable a couple of times, being sure to twist the coil in the same direction as the thread. Stuffed it in the coupler, locked it down with loctite. Tightened up the set screw.
Well, I have never used this type of cable connection before. So I thought I should test it. Hooked it up to the bench vise and I was able to pull the cable out. Either I don't know what I'm doing(entirely possible)or the connectors suck.
I repeated the whole thing and it pulled out again.
Here is how I set up the control horn end. It won't pull out now. The servo end will use SWB stuff.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47810.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	251112  
Old 03-29-2005, 01:58 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Ok,
A throttle question on my DA-50.

I am using a Hitec 5625 for throttle and the throttle linkage is connected to the servo horn (using the 2-56 ball link) in the innermost hole.

I still have to use an ATV setting of 50% to stop binding. Now, especially on the throttle you don't want to use ATV as you are losing servo resolution.

Any ideas ???

The other thing I can think of is to remove the red extension that is bolted on the engine throttle linkage.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Another way to deal with that is leave the ATV high and reduce throw with Dual Rates. That leaves resolution high and throw low.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:23 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

move the link on the servo horn inboard...that will reduce the amount of throw... you do want as close to 100% for the reasons drew stated....its all about resolution...:-) best to have things ideal mechanically before you start changing things in the radio...

Has anyone else pull tested the cables??? I tugged on them, but I didn't put them in a vise...nor do I think they will be subjected to vise like forces:-) BUT you can never be too careful:-)

Lets say you do lose a cable in flight... Won't the rudder just weathervane? you'll be able to use it one direction, but I would think the force from the airflow over that big rudder is gonna keep it put... Anyone???

Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Mike Parsons

I manually pulled on mine as well. They feel snug and they didnt give. I imagine pulling anything through a vice with enough pressure will cause failure. I wouldnt go that far and believe this method is fine.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 02:33 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Has anyone else pull tested the cables??? I tugged on them, but I didn't put them in a vise...nor do I think they will be subjected to vise like forces:-) BUT you can never be too careful:-)
http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/videos.htm
I'm not picking on Dave763 but, I think you can see in any of those videos that the ammount of stress any of us put on a plane inflight isnt going to pull a cable loose.
In a vise? I am sure I could yank mine out also.
I could also step on a wing spar and crush it or kick the fuse and cause damage.
(Fed Ex had proven that)

Dont overthink this plane! Chris went through a lot of trouble to make it hassle free.
If you feel the need to change stuff by all means do so. But, mines going strong after 4 or 5 gallons with a completely stock setup.

Lets say you do lose a cable in flight... Won't the rudder just weathervane? you'll be able to use it one direction, but I would think the force from the airflow over that big rudder is gonna keep it put... Anyone???
I agree Mike.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Where did you find those panels?! they are awesome! i need one badly!

THanks,
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23196.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	251146  
Old 03-29-2005, 03:35 PM
matus777

With the stock setup everything will work very well, the trick I think at the cable ends is to really get the threaded rod completely into the cable end. The manual says to use visegrips to do this. Another way to really make sure you have that "rod" threaded all the way to the bottom (holding the twisted cable ends) is to use a long 4-40 (if that's the size) socket head bolt and then you can really crank down (cable aint gonna pull out now) and when you reach the bottom, you simply dremel off the socket head, leaving only the threaded rod which then can be screwd into the ball-link.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
matus777

"Another way to deal with that is leave the ATV high and reduce throw with Dual Rates. That leaves resolution high and throw low."

Drew....would never have thought of that....you guys know all the tricks!

Old 03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Stratos

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

Where did you find those panels?! they are awesome! i need one badly!

THanks,
Scott
You can find a bunch of them here: http://tntlandinggear.com/store/shop...ent_panels.htm

But why would you want to get just the instrument panel when you can get the whole cockpit kit
from Kregg?

Ohh well....it's your money... spend it as you please!

Stratos.-
Old 03-29-2005, 04:12 PM
going vert

Lou - we can do it with the 9Z, but I don't think you can adjust throttle throw on the 10X with dual rates. On the 10X you need to change travel w/ ATV... Another reason to fly futaba. You just need 1000% more time to figure all this stuff out....

ORIGINAL: matus777

"Another way to deal with that is leave the ATV high and reduce throw with Dual Rates. That leaves resolution high and throw low."

Drew....would never have thought of that....you guys know all the tricks!

Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 PM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyingcrazy

I just went about fixing mine a different way I did not add a lot of weight to the tube so not to hurt it i wet the inside and let the weight un twist the tail a little at a time . It takes a little longer to do it this way but the twist does not go all the way to the engine box so why twist the whole fuse ?
The fuse is noticeably stiffer toward the front of the fuse, for one. You will also see, after tweaking the fuse the way I mentioned, you will notice the wrinkles get tighter toward the aft end of the fuse so you are still only really realigning the part of the fuse that got twisted up by the covering process...
I suppose you could slide the wings on, bolt them down, and secure them and tweak the fuse, but I still HIGHLY recommend doing so by the vert fin, as it is directly attached to the rest of the fuse and has more leverage.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:20 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

anyone know where i can get a good 3D deflection meter that measures in degrees? i have one from great planes or somthing, but it's too small and i would like some better quality.

Thanks,
Scott
http://www.hppilots.com/gpage5.html
get two of them...trust!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:23 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: turbo4

Firewall revisited......I have not got my engine yet(on order) but for those who are having firewall squishing, perhaps this is an idea[sm=idea.gif]. Seems many are not using the stock CF arms(quantity 4) How about cutting off the arm leaving a round disk and using it for a nice "light" and strong washer for the standoff bolts. That combined with thin CA on the firewall and using the "safety wire" method Bodyworks showed(so you don't have to crank the bolts real tight) sounds like a solution. Just a thought. Not sure if the bolt head is to small for the exsting hole in the CF arms but if so a second small washer could be used to make up the difference.
C'mon, man...that's too simple! (wish I wooda thought of it!)
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Dave763

I don't like the supplied cable connectors for the pull pull. I coiled the end of the cable a couple of times, being sure to twist the coil in the same direction as the thread. Stuffed it in the coupler, locked it down with loctite. Tightened up the set screw.
Well, I have never used this type of cable connection before. So I thought I should test it. Hooked it up to the bench vise and I was able to pull the cable out. Either I don't know what I'm doing(entirely possible)or the connectors suck.
I repeated the whole thing and it pulled out again.
Here is how I set up the control horn end. It won't pull out now. The servo end will use SWB stuff.

Dave
It is highly dependant on how tight you make the coils. I took a small Dubro T-pin and hammered it almost all the way down to my table. I started with the long end in my left hand and about 6" of the cable on my right. With a firm grip, I wrapped the cable around the t-pin one time with my right hand and pulled like a son of a ***** with my left and right, then repeated about 1 1/2 times and cut the cable at two coils. I then inserted it in the plug and pulled slowly while twisting counterclockwise with my left hand until I got the cable down just enough to start the threads with the jam pin. Then I gooped it all up with some blue loctite and cranked it down, darn near to the point of stripping the allen key...I didn't hang on it after but gave it about a 25+ pound tug and it hung on. I know it's too late for you, but it may help others...
Old 03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

Ok,
A throttle question on my DA-50.

I am using a Hitec 5625 for throttle and the throttle linkage is connected to the servo horn (using the 2-56 ball link) in the innermost hole.

I still have to use an ATV setting of 50% to stop binding. Now, especially on the throttle you don't want to use ATV as you are losing servo resolution.

Any ideas ???

The other thing I can think of is to remove the red extension that is bolted on the engine throttle linkage.

Thanks.
The position of the servo arm at idle is crutial. Mine is parallel to the servo at idle and almost perpendicular at full throttle. The other good thing about that is the butterfly travel actually lessens the more the servo travels. You will find this beneficial with IC engines as the tend to develope full or near full power prior to the butterfly being fully opened. In short, it will mechanically soften your throttle response in the upper rpm range.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:36 PM
jpa2002
My Feedback: (115)

Guys, the threaded rods that go in the pull pull assemblies have an allen head, so you can use an allen wrench and the proper wrench to crank them down.

Jon
Old 03-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Mudsurfer1234

i just ran mine for the first time. OH MY GOD! I freakin LOVE it!!! it was so cool, i went numb cuz it was already cold, then add the 50mph wind. It didn't start within the first 20 flips, cuz i was afraid of it, didn't want to cut my dad's hand off, so i had the throttle all the way down. then gradually moved it up.

We did a sound meter test. Mejlik 22X10 carbon with standard muffler, on grass. Weighting was A, fast response, it was only 89 db in line with prop! the highest we had was 92, and that was a bad reading. so the highest real reading was 89. The white prop tips we put on look awesome. and safer lol. The only thing im worried about is the linkage we made for the choke was bouncing around alot, more like vibrating then bouncing. it is the leftover piece of that threaded rod that came with kit.

We didn't have the cowl or spinner on. We have to go over the whole plane with loctite and make sure other stuff is tight.

ONLY 4 MORE DAYS TILL MAIDEN!! AND I CAN"T WAIT!!! The forcast for Sunday for here is "Sunday Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50s." sounds good for me, my limit is 5 degrees. I flew my first ever flight on an old PT-40 standing on a patch of ice in 17 degree weather. well, the high for the day was 17, it was early in the morning, like 10, and there was about 10 mph wind, lol. it was cold.

I can't wait to fly this thing... GREAT PLANE CHRIS!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:55 PM
matus777

"You just need 1000% more time to figure all this stuff out...."

Drew, I have 10% and with your 990% and the directions to your house i can see some possibilities!

Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 PM
matus777

Two day service from Horizon on the 8611 case tops.....and IF anyone still needs a NIB DA 50 i know where one can be had....no waiting!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:31 PM
going vert

I'm flying this weekend up here. If you want to program anything let's do it then, if you can. I can do Shoefactory or the other field Brian flies at - Buffalo Grove I think.

ORIGINAL: matus777

"You just need 1000% more time to figure all this stuff out...."

Drew, I have 10% and with your 990% and the directions to your house i can see some possibilities!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.