Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

i am only scared of my switch going bad so i had Fromeco wire me up a single 4800 mah with 2 leads coming of so i have dual switches and dual reg s on my 1 battery

last year a brand new switch failed on the 3rd or 4th flight thank god it was my ign switch dead sticked it in and all was well
Old 04-13-2005, 09:13 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

I'm running the Fromeco 4800 pack with one Smart-Fly regulator. It has a switch with a "FailSafe" feature, so if the switch goes bad, the regulator failsafes to the "ON" position. There should be no way that you could lose the plane to a failed switch then. Of course, when you're done flying and shut the switch off, you need to make sure it is in fact shutting off... that's the only way you'd know the switch has not failed.

[link]http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Regulator/regulator.htm[/link]

Tom
Old 04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Does anyone have an idea when EF next shipment of these are due? IS there a big list for the second run?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:10 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: J. AVANT

What part of I don't think so do you not understand,the think or the so.
Congratulations, you are only the 2nd person to spoil a perfectly good thread, which I suppose isn't too bad considering we are at 141 pages, but in any case, your attitude stinks and now you are blocked.

Yes Chris has taken care of me in the past and I sure he will this time too.
You're previous comments sure didn't sound like a loyal customer talking, seems like the right thing to do would be try and get the issue resolved, then if you don't succeed post things like "counter balances don't line up, fuse twisted, hatch warped, is ANYTHING right on this plane"

You told DrScoles that "he was a novice builder so he wouldn't notice" LOL, I don't think he took offense to it, but have you seen his heli vids? He has tons of heli experience, and he might be "new" to airplanes, but I think his attention to detail would certainly carry over.

You've only got 61 posts total, several of which were just recently in this thread, and two or three making very negative comments about respectable people and reputable products, I don't think you have much credibility.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:01 AM
wolfcbr2003
My Feedback: (18)

THanks to all that responded to my questions. It helped..

CONSTRICTOR I talked to Chris on Monday I think and he had no new news on the 2nd shipment.. All I know as far as the list is when I called a month ago to get on the list he said there were a few more slots open for the 2nd shipment.

Take Care

Marcus
Old 04-14-2005, 04:48 AM
J. AVANT
My Feedback: (11)

It's people like you that brings out bad attitudes because wait in the shadows for something like this to happen then leash out to take out your frustratsion on things you know nothing about. For your information DrScoles said he was a novice builder there you go jumping conclusions on something you know nothing about. I knew Drscoles was a good heli pilot. and as far as being blocked thats fine so people like can find another reason to leash out. And you being the 3rd person I'm sure there is some thing on rcu you were negative about but i'm sure i's ok for you to be negative. And you can think what you want i's a free world. THATS WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT THE GOOD O US OF A.
ORIGINAL: BBriBro

Congratulations, you are only the 2nd person to spoil a perfectly good thread, which I suppose isn't too bad considering we are at 141 pages, but in any case, your attitude stinks and now you are blocked.

You're previous comments sure didn't sound like a loyal customer talking, seems like the right thing to do would be try and get the issue resolved, then if you don't succeed post things like "counter balances don't line up, fuse twisted, hatch warped, is ANYTHING right on this plane"

You told DrScoles that "he was a novice builder so he wouldn't notice" LOL, I don't think he took offense to it, but have you seen his heli vids? He has tons of heli experience, and he might be "new" to airplanes, but I think his attention to detail would certainly carry over.

You've only got 61 posts total, several of which were just recently in this thread, and two or three making very negative comments about respectable people and reputable products, I don't think you have much credibility.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:34 AM
flat spin

Ok, I refrained from replying to this yesterday in the hope that this rant would pass. It hasn't, ok well would it be too much to ask that people put forward a slightly more measured response in their posts, reflecting both the quality of product which this thread represents and also the level of respect which has been shown to each and everyone of us by Chris and EF. There is nothing to say we cannot report our particular concern or problems but there are ways that this can be achieved which takes into account everyones experience and is perhaps a little less damaging. If you have a greivence with someone on the thread PM them and PM them back if need be but I (and i am sure i speak for others) am sick to the back teeth of hearing these personal rants aired in this fasion.

Extreme Flight has now too strong a product, customer service and brand to be damaged by this but it is negative and does not reflect the spirit of our hobby, the product or the cutomer service. That's it my rant over.

But just remember you are flying or are about to fly the best plane of this size and price on the market and that the jump to the next level is huge in terms of price and marginal in terms of quality and performance and i am sure there are in the region of 200 people who would second that. I'm going flying
Old 04-14-2005, 07:33 AM
NE0

Hey Wayne, what did you do to keep the choke nyrod sticking straight forward and not flopping around or falling down?

Also, did you lengthen the choke's linkage arm for more leverage? My experience has been that the stiff throw on that short choke arm makes a long piece of nyrod bend when you try to push? I wish that they would put longer arms on the choke (like the throttle) so it isn't so hard to lever the linkage open and closed.

Thx!

Tom
Old 04-14-2005, 08:15 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Tom,

The Nyrod is the Large Yellow stuff. Its doesnt flex. I did nothing to the choke arm.
The rod as it extends forward is loosely tie-wrapped to the red ignition lead that comes off the motor.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:21 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: flat spin

Is this an EF Yak or just one of the altered 55's which was originally a Comp ARF model?
It is NOT the EF Yak, it's a nice looking model no doubt, but it's not a model of the 87" Yak. This one is 37 lbs, and 118" wingspan with 6 aileron servos and 4 elevator servos. It looks similar on top, but the bottom is strange with the pink stripes. It looks more "correct" than the composite-arf models, they are very rounded, and have a longer tail moment, and a different landing gear. I am flying it with reduced throw on all surfaces, it seemed a bit too maneuverable to be realistic. Lots of the sim planes will do effortless waterfalls with hardly any power at head height, and I don' t think that is right. It's my favorite aircraft so far, since it has that round cowling and big 2 place canopy, it's nice to look at.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 AM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

It's people like you that brings out bad attitudes because wait in the shadows for something like this to happen then leash out to take out your frustratsion on things you know nothing about. For your information DrScoles said he was a novice builder there you go jumping conclusions on something you know nothing about. I knew Drscoles was a good heli pilot. and as far as being blocked thats fine so people like can find another reason to leash out. And you being the 3rd person I'm sure there is some thing on rcu you were negative about but i'm sure i's ok for you to be negative. And you can think what you want i's a free world. THATS WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT THE GOOD O US OF A.

J.AVANT, I must say that I commend you for your apology to chris, but I must also clear up something else that you said that might give people the wrong idea. You said that your fuse was all twisted up and you have been heating up the covering to it's limit and that it is just going to re twist once it gets in any form of sunlight...NOT TRUE!!!! We are NOT twisting the fuse to where it looks straight and relying on the monokote to hold it. We are straightening the plane and UNDOING what the covering did origionally. These planes were built straight on a jig then taken off the jig and covered. This covering is STRONG!! Just look at your engine box top to see what it can do to wood when it shrinks. It should be noted that the larger the covering piece is, the more force it can have on the piece it is covering. It also shrinks more in one direction than it does in the other. It is this, IMO, tha caused the fuse to twist. It is a big lightweight structure that is easily manipulated by such forces.
I understand your frustration - I was there, too. But if you would have given Chris the chance first or studied this thread more prior to posting your comments, you would have realized that he DID have SEVERAL spare parts for this plane and that he DOES stand behind his product, and this thread would not have turned into a bashing session.
BTW, I had to "untwist" my fuse over 6 weeks ago and it is still straight. And it only took 30 minutes to fix.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
flat spin

It was a bit. the throws looked pretty extreme too.

I had heard that they were going to do an 87" Yak, I look forward to it, maybe i can get my torque roll polished a bit
Old 04-14-2005, 09:33 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: flat spin

Is this an EF Yak or just one of the altered 55's which was originally a Comp ARF model?
It is NOT the EF Yak, it's a nice looking model no doubt, but it's not a model of the 87" Yak. This one is 37 lbs, and 118" wingspan with 6 aileron servos and 4 elevator servos. It looks similar on top, but the bottom is strange with the pink stripes. It looks more "correct" than the composite-arf models, they are very rounded, and have a longer tail moment, and a different landing gear. I am flying it with reduced throw on all surfaces, it seemed a bit too maneuverable to be realistic. Lots of the sim planes will do effortless waterfalls with hardly any power at head height, and I don' t think that is right. It's my favorite aircraft so far, since it has that round cowling and big 2 place canopy, it's nice to look at.
I think he was talking about the AFPD extreme yak for the flight simulator, not Jesky's plane...
BTW, I flew the AFPD 3D version of the Yak, and if the real model is that hard to torqueroll, I am in trouble!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

The real EF yak is not as hard to torque roll as the AFP. The AFP version flies a little different but no far off. This EF yak is the best flying plane I have owned, and I have been in RC since 1978 and own 35% planes. Jeff W.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:57 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

I think he was talking about the AFPD extreme yak for the flight simulator, not Jesky's plane...
BTW, I flew the AFPD 3D version of the Yak, and if the real model is that hard to torqueroll, I am in trouble!
I don't know anything about Jesky's plane, I too was talking about the Yak............for the flight simulator. Notice it's not called the EXTREME FLIGHT yak, it's just called yak EXTREME EDITION, I don't think it was ever intended to be the EF 87" yak model. It's just a nice Yak 54 with a similar scheme.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

I just wanted to know if it was close or not. I agree it may not be modeled after the EF yak. They used the filename Yak 54-ef3d or efimac. I wonder if the trim scheme is why the ef is in there.

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

I don't know anything about Jesky's plane, I too was talking about the Yak............for the flight simulator. Notice it's not called the EXTREME FLIGHT yak, it's just called yak EXTREME EDITION, I don't think it was ever intended to be the EF 87" yak model. It's just a nice Yak 54 with a similar scheme.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:32 AM
NE0

Tom,

The Nyrod is the Large Yellow stuff. Its doesnt flex. I did nothing to the choke arm.
The rod as it extends forward is loosely tie-wrapped to the red ignition lead that comes off the motor.
Thanks Wayne... you must be using the stiffer nyrod... it comes in various "flexes". I have the semi-flexible stuff for routing throttle linkage. I'll have to get something a little stiffer. I thought you might be doing the "loose tie down" thing... that's what I was thinking of trying.

Thx agin,

T
Old 04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
basmntdweller

Neo,
I used the regular yellow nyrod but and put one of the 12" Dubro 2-56 rods in "backwards". The unthreaded portion will slide in to the nyrod and then thread it in several turns. I think I used a bolt on ball link on the choke to avoid any metal to metal. My rod falls just short of the spinner backplate and is somewhat held in place by the signal lead of the ignition pickup. I also tyrapped the fuel vent line to the rod. So far, it works very well.
Matt
Old 04-14-2005, 05:36 PM
NE0

Neo,
I used the regular yellow nyrod but and put one of the 12" Dubro 2-56 rods in "backwards". The unthreaded portion will slide in to the nyrod and then thread it in several turns. I think I used a bolt on ball link on the choke to avoid any metal to metal. My rod falls just short of the spinner backplate and is somewhat held in place by the signal lead of the ignition pickup. I also tyrapped the fuel vent line to the rod. So far, it works very well.
Matt
Cool... sounds like a plan! [8D]

Thanks for the tips, now I think even I can figure it out.

Tom
Old 04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet Andrew's is the Carden.

JS
Old 04-14-2005, 08:23 PM
wgeffon

Andrew's is the 37.4% QuiQue Yak from 3W.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Hey Rodney, the YAK is awesome! I think Mokken wishes he bought it! I'm driving to OH this weekend to p/u my new 35% carden, so I'll have to pass on the fly-in. The Sandpit's is the 23rd, maybe you can come in for it. See ya JL
Old 04-14-2005, 09:26 PM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

bodyworks
It also shrinks more in one direction than it does in the other.
bod....
How did you dertermine this? And how would we know in which direction it shrinks more/less when covering with ultracote?

Ray
Old 04-15-2005, 08:55 AM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

Anyone using a carbon Prop AND spinner. I would like to see a pic. Thanks
Old 04-15-2005, 12:44 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: lex2bits

bodyworks
It also shrinks more in one direction than it does in the other.
bod....
How did you dertermine this? And how would we know in which direction it shrinks more/less when covering with ultracote?

Ray
I learned this from experience. It doesn't matter which way shrinks more, so long as you orient the covering in the same relative direction when cutting the covering from the roll. It also doesn't matter when doing small trim pieces, jus when doing large pieces over open bay structures, like on the bottom of the Yak's fuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.