Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:47 AM
flat spin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Man you should hear how badly Hitec are slated over here. The mention of the name will have peoples top lip curling. I think they are excellent. The cheapos do a great job for what they cost, people may complain about centering and slop but for the money you are getting a lot of punch for your money and the top end stuff is spot on. The digis are a lot louder than the JR's though but i am still unable to hear them over my DA.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:15 AM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

flat spin
The digis are a lot louder than the JR's though but i am still unable to hear them over my DA.
LOL

Old 04-19-2005, 04:49 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: flat spin

Man you should hear how badly Hitec are slated over here. The mention of the name will have peoples top lip curling. I think they are excellent. The cheapos do a great job for what they cost, people may complain about centering and slop but for the money you are getting a lot of punch for your money and the top end stuff is spot on. The digis are a lot louder than the JR's though but i am still unable to hear them over my DA.
What's funny is, while my hitecs don't center perfectly, they center better than my 8611...I actually think it's gear slop if you can believe it.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:43 PM
flat spin

Not sure if that is just luck of the draw. I have 5945's all round on the Yak except rudder where i have an 8611. The JR has no slop at this time but then i don't think it really gets that hard a time there. The two Aileron servo's both have slop one considerably more than the other? Don't ask me, same servo, same place, both new, still a new gear set cost around £4.00 so probably $5 for you.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:03 PM
bodywerks

Yeah, but it is brand new and hasn't even been in the air yet.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 PM
matus777

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Are you talking powered?.....if you are not happy you can send it back....you have a 3 yr warranty. I have a plane with 8411's and 85 hrs of operating time on it and the servos (26 plus pounds) ...and they still center like new....now that does not mean they can't fail next time out.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:59 PM
JackL
My Feedback: (7)

Hey guys, anyone heard when the 87" Yak is going to be available again? Tried e-mailing Chris a day or two ago but haven't heard back yet.(I'm sure he gets a lot of e-mails)

Jack
Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 PM
wgeffon

Be patient.
Chris is at Seff This week.

He will get back to you.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:14 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Here is the first half of my firewall upgrade. I glued on a firewall doubler just on the lower half - 3/32 aircraft grade ply. Then I'm going to use 1/2" basswood tristock and some CF on the inside.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21136.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	260292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27220.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	260293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23846.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	260294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11648.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	260295  
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
wgeffon

Drew,

I think you need to use one more clamp...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:25 PM
SPACE SCOOTER

I received an e-mail from chris last week, he told me he should get some more 87's in June. I hope I'm on list. I've read every post on this thread(I think I finished reading moby dick in better time) and I'm getting excited about this plane. Although 3 people from my field have been on the list for over a year in a half and haven't heard a word from Chris yet. I'm sure will all get one in due time.....Scooter
Old 04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

Have you talked to JR I have it not as e-z as you think in fact they were butt holes when I talked to them . I have a friend in Texas I talked to him today he said they were butts to him to ! So if you have the 8611 your are stuck with them !!! Now say all you want about Hitec but they have good customer servce and they are nice to deal with . JR needs to replace the 8611 before some one burns out a motor or breaks a case and hurts someone ! Now this is our hobby and it someone gets hurt it will hurt all of us . They know they have a problem with the 8611 they told me they did ! That says alot for JR. They let the customer make the choice to fix then their self by putting the servo in a new case or send them back if you do it your self are you liable you bet your are I have the new cases I am not going to do it my self . Is anyone going to I hope not today everyone is out to SUE YOU . IT IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

ORIGINAL: eb542

Smart-Fly adjustable regulator question,

I connect my lion pack to the smart-fly regulator, adjust the voltage to 6V then switch off for a few minutes. When I switch back on, the voltage goes back to 5.5V and I have to adjust it back to 6V. Is this normal? I am using the Hangar-9 digital voltmeter/tack (aka DVT) to take my reading. I know that device does not put much load on the regulator but I believe it should still give me a steady 6V after power off/on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
No it should not be normal. I would talk to the smart-fly guys. My guess is that there is a series of steps that need to be followed exactly...

[/quote]
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 PM
coche

Drew, you need to put some clamps to hold the clamps!

I am also waiting on Chris to reply to my mail! I need to buy a smaller plane! (mini 3D, electric yak, or the Edge) I run out of all my smaller planes!! []
Old 04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
going vert

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Drew,

I think you need to use one more clamp...
Ya - I figured you'd like that! I forgot to mention I used my favorite glue - Hysol - to glue that doubler on there.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:49 PM
going vert

Wayne - now that I think about it you were the DA who used CA to glue the tri stock on there. Those really need epoxy.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: going vert

Wayne - now that I think about it you were the DA who used CA to glue the tri stock on there. Those really need epoxy.
I know.
I used epoxy on mine.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 AM
flat spin

With the smart fly regs you need to put a 1 amp load on them to get an accurate reading. Don't quote me on that as it could be a half when i think about it but that sounds like the reason for your reading.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Thats what you get for letting Wayne work on your plane.
ORIGINAL: going vert

Old 04-20-2005, 08:17 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Drew,
What's with you and firewalls? This is the second airplane now. You must fly them too hard.
I am just waiting for my DA50 and my 8611's to finish mine. When I get it done I will have to meet you and Wayne one weekend at Larry's.
Later,
Craig
Old 04-20-2005, 08:24 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: matus777

Are you talking powered?.....if you are not happy you can send it back....you have a 3 yr warranty. I have a plane with 8411's and 85 hrs of operating time on it and the servos (26 plus pounds) ...and they still center like new....now that does not mean they can't fail next time out.

Yes, while powered. I can move the trailing edge of my rudder 1/4" in each direction before feeling any real resistance. It's only my rudder, so I will not worry about it unless I have performance or flutter issues. At this time, I am not unhappy with it, just a little shocked to see so much play in a $115 servo. I do not have the case top mod for it, either, but I don't see that fixing it...
Old 04-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I sent my DA in around January for the rod and carb update ...got it back never ran it.

Now I wonder if I should send it again..... for the next "fix". The customer service is great, but it seems to me there would be other reliable motors that would give trouble free performance. But you can;t ask about them here in the "Court of DA".

I dont want to risk my 87 to a motor that has "history" of failure. An industrial motor may just be the ticket for some us.

Just my 2 cents. I haven;t posted here often lately, I am on other projects...with my 87 getting some attention here and there.

Deadsticks , you can deal with, but a report of catastrophic failure or "grenading" is bound to show up here......just wait.

I also wanted to report this.....we have 3 DA's running at our field , 2 50's , 1 100,...the lawnboy really seems to gum up the planes and the mixtures have to be lean for good performance. But it is break-in , right?

I tried ashless in another motor and noticed performance loss, and leaner settings needed.

After switching to Synthetic...richer settings were needed right away, and performance turned on like a light switch. Economy went up because lower throttle settings were needed for the same performance withg ashless.

Just our obsevations with no science involved.

I really hope the "fly by your pants development" of DA finally bears fruit with a trouble free motor...so I can send it in for the "final" updates.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:29 AM
romanrc

Hello to all.

Continuous arming my YAK, the DA 50 is now in Laredo and I believe to have it the next week in Puerto Vallarta, I have several doubts, my plane does not bring wheels of the train of landing neither tank of gasoline, all they are thus?

That wheels recommend me and that capacity of tank.

Another question, the servos JR function with receiver Futaba?

Thanks

Carlos
Old 04-20-2005, 09:51 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: matus777

Yes, while powered. I can move the trailing edge of my rudder 1/4" in each direction before feeling any real resistance. It's only my rudder, so I will not worry about it unless I have performance or flutter issues. At this time, I am not unhappy with it, just a little shocked to see so much play in a $115 servo. I do not have the case top mod for it, either, but I don't see that fixing it...
I just installed my 8611 on my rudder and I can jiggle my rudder, but I can't move it a 1/4". I did notice when I used a 4.8 battery with a low charge I could deflect the servo with little resistance. If you have 1/4" of play I'd say it's not the servo causing it. None of my 8611 have enough lash to allow 1/4" of movement.

Now when I delfect my rudder full left or right, I can push it back the opposite direction a ways. Looking into this problem I noticed my servo mount, servo arm, and the rubber gromets for the servo all bend flex or squish to allow the rudder to blow back. This is in no part due to the servo, but due to to flimsy of a mount, cheap arms and the inherent nature of the rubber gromets. [&o]
Old 04-20-2005, 09:54 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: romanrc

Hello to all.

Continuous arming my YAK, the DA 50 is now in Laredo and I believe to have it the next week in Puerto Vallarta, I have several doubts, my plane does not bring wheels of the train of landing neither tank of gasoline, all they are thus?

That wheels recommend me and that capacity of tank.

Another question, the servos JR function with receiver Futaba?

Thanks

Carlos

The plane does come with a gasoline fuel tank and stopper, and wheels. JR servos will work with Futaba Rx.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:05 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Well...took half a day off from work to maiden my Yak (Finally). Got 4 flights this morning.
It flies nice as expected. However, it drops a wing in a loop. Could be a setup issue on the elevator halves or could be the wind this morning..(about 12-17 MPH).
I am planning to fly in an IMAC event this weekend depending on the weather. We'll see how that goes.

I had promised myself that I am not going to try and 3D this plane but it happened on it's own
Awesome flat spins, walls, hovers good and I managed 1/2 a rolling circle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.