Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 04-22-2005, 04:49 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Awesome setup! But why didn't you consider a larger single outrunner? I am not asking this because I know what I am talking about - more because I don't. But I was thinking an AXI 5330/24 swingin' a 24X8 would do the trick...
I can't wait to read more on your setup!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Jim Flannigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just unpacked my Yak after picking it up from Chris at Toledo. Great looking airplane! Graphics are being done at the sign shop, something that has not been done yet as far as I know.

I am finishing a Composite-ARF Eurosport and then I will get this one completed in a week or so.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:44 AM
matus777

NEO...any update on Maudib?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:50 AM
matus777

I used a little CA to hold the tail wheel tire on the hub and if you allow it to remain in your vehicle overnight it also serves as a great way to keep your tail from moving around when you drive!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 AM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

NEO...any update on Maudib?
He's doing much better now after a very frightening 2 week stint where he was in extremely poor condition... couple "close call" days in there that had us all very worried. Fortunately God has blessed him this past week with substantial progress and he actually got to come home for the day last Sunday. He had to go back in that night and is still under observation.

While he is doing much better, he is still struggling with a fever and blood pressure issues. His blood counts are rapidly getting back to normal, and most of the typical "post-Chemo" type of symptoms are subsiding... but the fever is something that cannot be taken lightly. As you know, fever can mean infection, and when you have little to no immune system, that can be a serious threat.

They said they can release him once the fever goes away and stays away for a good 2-3 days. Hopefully that could be as early as Sunday or Monday? They are also watching closely to watch for "Graft vs Host Disease" (rejection) kicking in. It nearly always does at this point, but they need to keep it manageable and under control until it eventually leaves.

As you can imagine, after 6 weeks in the hospital, he is getting depressed and very anxious to return to his "real life" and family. He is allowed to walk around the hospital and even go outside sometimes, but it's not the same as being back in your own bed, good food, and all the rest that makes your house a home. He said he is already flying his Yak daily "in his mind" and cannot wait to get healthy enough to go to the field and do it for real.

Hopefully within the next week or so you'll find him back on the thread, catching up on all the "Yackity Yak" that he has missed these past few weeks. Thanks for asking, keep him and his family in your prayers... they are definitely helping!

Tom
Old 04-22-2005, 01:25 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: matus777

I used a little CA to hold the tail wheel tire on the hub and if you allow it to remain in your vehicle overnight it also serves as a great way to keep your tail from moving around when you drive!
ROFL, man!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Steve, you are too much fun to harass, wait till Memphis next weekend. You are the man of the OMP 65" yak, I give you that. But you will definitely like this EF Yak. It flies so true and does not fight you in any attitude. The coupling is so minimal I have not done any mixing because it would be like 1 or 2 percent. The plane is truly amazing in both the precision and 3D arenas, I am bringing mine to Memphis next weekend as is Scott Kimball and you can fly it there if you like.
Jeff W.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:15 PM
RPM
My Feedback: (3)

Tom -

Very glad to hear that David is doing better. I've been very concerned about his prognosis but, didn't want to ask here for fear of bad news.

Please pass on my regards and hope he gets to come home soon.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 04-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Anybody know if Chris will be vending/attending Top Gun in Florida next week? Might be good exposure for the southern gang where flying is year round[8D] Perhaps a half time demo of the electrick Yak would wow the crowd.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-22-2005, 04:57 PM
bodywerks

INTERESTING TURN OF EVENTS TODAY!!!!!!!

I got my 22X8 MSC from DA and bolted it on today in hopes of getting some satisfying rpms, but to no avail. I still couldn't get above 6200 with the occasional 6300 blurp..."what a disapointment", I thought to myself, as I was concerned that there was something wrong with the engine.
I decided to try my other option...my STOCK DA muffler. Took the header off the engine and out of my Hyde pipe and bolted on the stock muffler. Fired it up and instantly got 6600 rpms and WAY BETTER THROTTLE RESPONSE!!!!! A little more tuning and I got it to a fairly steady 6700 R's. Fiddled a little with the low needle in midrange and I now get GREAT throttle response and a very smooth 1600rpm idle with great transition after about 30 seconds. I say great as a relative term, as I only have about 30 ounces of fuel through it and I am at 62-6800 feet ASL.
The other couple guys that have DA's around here are getting almost 7000 with a 22X10 after break-in.
So, it looks like I just lost a half-pound off my plane and got an increase in performance, and I probably won't need to hang my RX pack off the front of the engine box anymore.

For anyone else running cannisters, I am interested in seeing what kinda R's your getting, what prop you're running, your altitude, and how much fuel you have run through your engine. Because I am a little surprised that this cannister robbed so much power, especially after Maudib's first report...
Old 04-22-2005, 05:03 PM
wgeffon

LOL.
I think I posted all that back on page 20 of this thread.

I would think your going to pick up a few more hundred R's after it starts to break in.
Its hard to beat it.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:49 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

For anyone else running cannisters, I am interested in seeing what kinda R's your getting, what prop you're running, your altitude, and how much fuel you have run through your engine. Because I am a little surprised that this cannister robbed so much power, especially after Maudib's first report...
You are the 1st to report a loss using canisters. MWheeler and myself saw HUGE gains using the MTW canister on a Brison 3.2 (400-500) RPM, compared to a pitts style muffler. I'm assuming you have read my posts, several pages back.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:07 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

LOL.
I think I posted all that back on page 20 of this thread.

I would think your going to pick up a few more hundred R's after it starts to break in.
Its hard to beat it.
Ya - My motor smokes your POS - too bad it's back in the shop...... I'll probably need to start from scratch w/ the break-in.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Mike Parsons

Thanks guys. George Hicks flew it for about 5 minutes this afternoon (up until the storms rolled in). His comments were nothing but positive. I asked him what he thought and he said the verticle climb is amazing. He didnt have a chance to 3D due to the limited time, but wants to fly it tomorrow as well. Mark Leesburg looked it over too, and Chris made it down, so he will be flying it tomorrow as well. There are some pretty bad storms here now, so I am hoping it doesnt screw with tomorrows Demo's.
ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Atlantaflyer...... too cool!!!! I didnt realize you could gang the motors like that..... timing isnt an issue???
It seems like if they were off even a degree, it would screw things up.... very cool stuff!

Mike
Mike,
You have to sync the motors up prior to ganging them. This is accomplished by wiring a C battery in series with the two motors. When they both take their timing, you simply mark where the set screws need to go and thats it. There are only two setups in the world flying this combo and this one is number two. The president of Cyclon is flying the same setup on a 100" WS Turbo Raven at 4 kilowatts.

Awesome setup! But why didn't you consider a larger single outrunner? I am not asking this because I know what I am talking about - more because I don't. But I was thinking an AXI 5330/24 swingin' a 24X8 would do the trick...
I can't wait to read more on your setup!!!!
I dont think the single outrunner would do it. Maybe a Plettenburg, but the way this plane needs to be flown, it is hard to acheive the thrust with a single inrunner or outrunner on this size plane. Jason Noll flew his pattern plane (cant remember the name of it for anything) on a single plettenburg and a 20x14 prop today. It was very nicely powered.

I will definately share more after the event.

-Mike
Old 04-22-2005, 08:10 PM
KatManDEW
My Feedback: (6)

EXTREMELY impressive Atlantaeflyer. ~4kW is exactly the kind of power that I figured was needed on a 3D plane this size/weight. Single motor setups like we're flying on 11-12 pound planes will of course fly this plane, but not with near the same authority, and not what a plane like this deserves.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:54 PM
bodywerks

enough to climb out of a hover?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Mike Parsons

Thanks Kat. If I go with a 3P I can push the batteries a little harder and swing a 24x12. That would get it well above 4kw

enough to climb out of a hover?
Enough to punch out of a hover. If the weather plays nice I will try and get some video tomorrow. I forgot my video camera, but know a few others that have them.

We are still playing with props and configurations. We have a pretty good setup now that surely performs, but I cant say for definate that it is the "ultimate setup"

-Mike
Old 04-22-2005, 11:28 PM
turbo4

What's with the Yak for AFPD from Doc insane.....the woman keeps opening the canopy and I can't figure out how to shut it? Dosn't seem to affect the way it flies, it just bugs me.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Apples

turbo4,

Hit the number 7 on your keyboard pad.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:09 AM
turbo4

ORIGINAL: Apples

turbo4,

Hit the number 7 on your keyboard pad.
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-23-2005, 10:04 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The COVERING ON MY WING FLEW OFF YESTERDAY!!! I went to field after work , about 5 minutes into my flight, I'm flying straight and level about medium speed, and I see something fly off the plane and it sounded like a gunshot! I thought it was the canopy coming off again, so I do slow flyby and dont see anything at all..... wasn't flying much different...... so I go back around and land it.... as I bring it closer to me I can see that the outer 2/3's of the covering on the left wing is gone! From the yellow strip back to the ailerons is open.... scared the hell out of me.... was kind of a neat opportunity to see the wing construction though...

A guy out at the field happened to have the three colors I needed and was nice enough to give me some covering material, so I should be back in the air soon... He mentioned I could seal the seams with clear nail polish.... Will this do the trick?

I'm getting 6700 rpm on the 23x8 wood prop after about 5 flights... I have not touched the needles from the factory..... Its gained about 150 rpm already I think.....

Very happy to get it back on the ground in one piece

Mike
Old 04-23-2005, 10:22 AM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: turbo4

What's with the Yak for AFPD from Doc insane.....the woman keeps opening the canopy and I can't figure out how to shut it? Dosn't seem to affect the way it flies, it just bugs me.
Take the brake off, and the canopy will close. Brake on, canopy open.

EDIT: don't know about the number 7 thing, I guess that's assuming you didn't reassign anything, and are using all the default settings.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:48 AM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

I have built alot of ARF in my 30 + years of this hobby as a rule of thumb I seal all seams and trim before I start building this will save you alot of trouble , Yes they say (ARF) that does mean what it says . I have seen the covering come off of planes that were built by the best builders so I go one step futher just to be sure . My YAK did have a few lose spots on it to but i have sealed all seams and I am re covering the fuse in a different color just to look different . My Dad told me a long time ago <All you get out of anything is what you put in it > Rodney (AKA) FLYING CRAZY

The COVERING ON MY WING FLEW OFF YESTERDAY!!! I went to field after work , about 5 minutes into my flight, I'm flying straight and level about medium speed, and I see something fly off the plane and it sounded like a gunshot! I thought it was the canopy coming off again, so I do slow flyby and dont see anything at all..... wasn't flying much different...... so I go back around and land it.... as I bring it closer to me I can see that the outer 2/3's of the covering on the left wing is gone! From the yellow strip back to the ailerons is open.... scared the hell out of me.... was kind of a neat opportunity to see the wing construction though...

A guy out at the field happened to have the three colors I needed and was nice enough to give me some covering material, so I should be back in the air soon... He mentioned I could seal the seams with clear nail polish.... Will this do the trick?

I'm getting 6700 rpm on the 23x8 wood prop after about 5 flights... I have not touched the needles from the factory..... Its gained about 150 rpm already I think.....

Very happy to get it back on the ground in one piece

Mike
Old 04-23-2005, 12:50 PM
turbo4

[b]The COVERING ON MY WING FLEW OFF YESTERDAY!!!
Man Doc, you sure have a lot of stuff coming off that plane!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:58 PM
turbo4

On another note, Im working on my rudder pull pull. I have the Airwild MLP 3" arm. It seems I cannot get the "slack" out of the wire when fully deflected and one side does it worse than the other. Is this because there is no offset in the arm? Also, is it ok to adjust the wires to uneven lengths between the two to center the rudder. I always read to adjust the linkage first, Im trying to avoid subtrim. Exactly how tight should each wire be and how do I guage it? Ive done a pull pull on a profile but I really didnt have any concerns on such a small/low cost plane.

TIA........Joel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.