Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 05-02-2005, 08:14 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

HUH? I would consider myself an experienced flyer, and besides knowing the wind direction before takeoff or landing, I do not see how "looking at the windsock" has anything to do with a deadstick, especially if it happens during takeoff or a hovering maneuver[&:] Even if it happens at some altitude, all I do is find the quickest way to the runway and try to land in the same direction I took off...
Surely you don't mean "looking at the windsock" will actually prevent a deadstick, do you?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:09 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess we are running out of Yak talk?? Time to close the thread?

Gratz morecashthansense!! I'm about a weak or so from getting the rest of my gear. Ordered my Fromeco's, muffler and prop jig today so Anytime now
Old 05-02-2005, 09:09 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he just meant as a general rule, people have some sloppy practices, which is not paying attention to the wind. At least that's what I read into it, and what I meant. I have seen plenty of airplanes get torn up on deadstick landings because they are going a million miles per hour.....downwind. Sure in a hover at low altitude you're screwed, but up high, I still see plenty of judgement errors, even landing off the runway, in the rough, if you're into the wind, at least you'll be going slow when you touchdown. Well, or some people don't understand to hold it off, and bleed off the airspeed. If you were forced to make an "off airport" landing in a small single engine light plane, would you want to hit the ground nose down, in a dive, at cruise speed? Or would you get as slow as possible before you went in, and approach a stall, to just "mush" it into the treetops?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
wgeffon

Wow,

Its looking like its time to close the this thread down.
Are we really talking about windsocks????

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 05-02-2005, 10:03 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

What is experence ? Knowing when to talk and when to get over it ,by the way( THE YAK IS THE TOPIC OF DISCUSION ) TAKE THE WIND SOCK SOME WHERE ELSE ( ON THE YAK TOPIC NOW ) Mine is almost ready cant wate. Got to get graphics cut trying to do something different on mine re-covered part of my fuse in another color looks good . Will post pictures if this thread in still here and some of the wind socks dont jump on me . I have over 30 years of experence and I have saw alot of RC pilots turn into experts over nite ! Thanks to Real RC,ers who have took time to put usefull information about the EF YAK . IT IS A GREAT AIRPLANE I SAW THE PROTOTYPE FLY LONG BEFORE YOU COULD GET ONE I SAID THEN I WOULD HAVE ONE . GOOD LUCK CHRIS HOPE THE NEXT ONES COME IN SOON SO MANY MORE RC,ers can enjoy this GREAT PLANE. (EX FLIGHT IS NEXT TO NONE AND ABOVE THE REST)
Old 05-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Gotta_Fly

Yes isnt it great???
Old 05-03-2005, 05:59 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Unless there is a huge uproar, I'll request the thread be shut down. I started the thread, so I guess I need to request we shut'r down....
Old 05-03-2005, 06:20 AM
flat spin

No no Don't do it! I don't know what i would do with my life without the daily soap opera that is the Yak thread.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:31 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: flyingcrazy

What is experence ? Knowing when to talk and when to get over it ,by the way( THE YAK IS THE TOPIC OF DISCUSION )
I don't know how long you've been following this thread, but we have got off on a tangent many times, most people agree, that is just part of a typical forum. We discussed receivers, fuel tank plumbing, servo brand preference, and a whole slew of other things, that (like the wind sock) may not be directly related to this Yak, but are certainly part of the hobby. I for one didn't want to read 3 pages on a 2 line vs. a 3 line tank system, but I got chewed out saying that people are learning and that's what the forum is for. Fortunately soon after that, we got the little "boxes" at the bottom which allows you to go directly to any page, which does help sort through all the crap if you write down important page numbers.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: going vert

Unless there is a huge uproar, I'll request the thread be shut down. I started the thread, so I guess I need to request we shut'r down....
NO, DON'T CLOSE IT.

The EF Yak is still an infant in the RC world. As more purchasers complete and fly theirs, additional information will come to light. This will surely benefit future purchasers, and will most likely have some influence on further development for future productions runs.

I am VERY interested in hearing the results of Dick Hanson's maiden flight. And some pictures, drawings, and explanation of the single servo, removable elevator setup.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:18 AM
wgeffon

Brian,

I agree and have no problem with wandering threads. I actually like it because you can generally learn something (If you dont know it all already )
But, having said that.... A discusion on windsock direction and how to land a plane if the motor dies?????? Come on. Thats ridiculous.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 AM
BBriBro

Why not start a new thread? Certainly not everyone will follow, and even if they do, at least it will be quite some time before it's this big, so the "new" info will be easier to sort through (at least for a while)
Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Brian,

I agree and have no problem with wandering threads. I actually like it because you can generally learn something (If you dont know it all already )
But, having said that.... A discusion on windsock direction and how to land a plane if the motor dies?????? Come on. Thats ridiculous.
Wayne I agree, but I guess I have learned that things you and I take for granted as common sense, may not have even crossed someone else's mind. I didn't realize that this airplane would be in the hands of so many newcomers. I suppose some people have a lot to learn about all aspects of the hobby, which I was taking for granted by the time they got to an airplane of this caliber. That just proves all it takes is money, with all these things so readily available now.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

We all had to start somewhere,that is what these forums are all about information-Good and Bad.As far as the Yak put it in the air and it speaks for itself.One word AWSOME!!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: JWilliams

There is an old saying in this hobby
"If you cannot afford to lose it, do not put it in the air"
Jeff W.
Old sage advice heard many times, and when truly pondered....what the hell , I'll just put the DA in this EF Yak , and stop shaking at the knees. I have been thinking about it , and waffling too much. It is just an airframe.

This thread has wandered...so what....all the pilots that are on the list deserve to have it continue.

It certainly had me searching the web everytime something new was brought up.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Ok, you guys seem quite idle. Here is a challange for you.

First let me say that I spoke with Chris today. He said that the next shipment is to be due early June. In the same breath I got, don't count on it, a standard disclaimer. So I ordered one for me and one for my brother. I showed him lat weekend the video of the electric version and he could not believe it. Said it flew like a kite. He has a FPE 3.2 to use and I have the Dreaded Moki 2.1

Yes I know that the Moki will only turn a 20X6 at 8000 rpm or a 20X10 at 7000 rpm. I will not be pulling out of hovers at half throttle either. I do think that I will come in at 14.5 to 15 lbs weight and that the plane will most likely fly some form of IMAC on this engine. After some time, when I can afford it I will go to a 50cc gas engine. (after I have learned some IMAC too!

So here is my question. What is the distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl (when installed)? I will have a balance challenge and look forward to getting as much weight out front as possible. If I got the prop out say 1/2 to 1 inch forward of the cowl my w&b might be managable. This engine with radial mount and Bisson pitts muffler weighs in at 3 lb 10 oz and can do a 4 inch True Turn spinner for added weight out front. I am looking to bring the weight out as far forward as I can and will try to build out the firewall.
Your suggestions and comments are welcome. Wayne?

Richard I aint got enough money for a trailer and engine Bahmann
Old 05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

PS. I ain't afraid of no deadstick.[&:]
Old 05-03-2005, 12:13 PM
flat spin

Speaking of Imac are there any particularly good sites for Pattern, IMAC shedules. You get so much 3d stuff now it is hard to find any of the bread and butter stuff and as this plane flies soo smooth i feel to start stringing all my 3d stuff together with some clean lines.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Fastlif

This thread sucks. useless malarky on it, soap opera stars.

Dont like what I am saying, tuff, the thread should be about the plane, and the plane only, get it?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

Dont like what I am saying, tuff, the thread should be about the plane, and the plane only, get it?
Just like your post was about the plane and plane only...right?

-Mike
Old 05-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: rdb127

So here is my question. What is the distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl (when installed)? I will have a balance challenge and look forward to getting as much weight out front as possible. If I got the prop out say 1/2 to 1 inch forward of the cowl my w&b might be managable. This engine with radial mount and Bisson pitts muffler weighs in at 3 lb 10 oz and can do a 4 inch True Turn spinner for added weight out front. I am looking to bring the weight out as far forward as I can and will try to build out the firewall.
Your suggestions and comments are welcome. Wayne?

Richard I aint got enough money for a trailer and engine Bahmann
I am trying to remember if mine was 6" or 6.5" from firewall to cowl opening. Need to check my notes. I want to say 6"

-Mike
Old 05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Mike Parsons

My honest feeling is that this thread should be closed and a new one opened with key points from this one in the first few posts...links, build tips, videos etc. This thread has gotten so large and so many posts on and off topic, that no one can find the information they seek once they get the plane in hand and all that have contributed will certainly have a hard time recalling their posts with that information to help others.
-Mike
Old 05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
rmh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree -Tho obviously there are a lot of writers who have little or no hands on experience -so their comments are restricted to what they know .
Some of these are really interested in sharing info-but some comments are ---------------
Old 05-03-2005, 01:19 PM
flat spin

Surely that has been achieved by Going vert and their website. Maybe we should ad a signature to each of our posts or even better edite the forst post to include a quick heads up on where to go for a summary of info.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 PM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

I think that is a slight exaggeration, there's got to be well over 100 pages of good info here, which is still a TON of good reading, even with the off topic or nonsense posts, I think this thread has been an overwhelming success. There has been less bashing and flaming than in most, and with far more pages.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.