Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 05-05-2005, 07:17 PM
chipwill
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Haha Matus!

Neo, the weather was great today and I was off work, but I had to spend the entire day finishing the Yak. Saturday is a IMAC fun fly at Westerville, and I will be flying my AW Katana, but I have Friday to fly the Yak, as long as I am finished with it. All I need to do now, is cut out the carbon spinner, and seal gaps, and balance/mount rx battery. Everything else is done. Getting excited up in here!

Looking for weather pity here too! Last week I had to sit for 3 plus hours thru two of my son's track meets. Man, it sucked! The bad thing was one day, there were buzzards flying around in and out of lift in total overcast ( Im a sailplane guy too so when I see buzzards flying, I want to be flying too ). Watching my son race was fun though, no matter what the conditions.

Anyhow, back to the shop.

Chip
Old 05-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

RCPete,

Truth is, I have yet to see any ARF come close to weight of the EF Yak...

Most eveything else ends us 16.5 lb plus....

The quality of the kit is awesome too with accessories that are simply top notch.

A few bumps in the first batch but otherwise the best offering with the best performance.

Quit sitting on the fence and get on the list before the NEXT batch is gone!

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI all, I've been following this thread and still wounder what makes this plane so popular, is it the lightness or the accessories that come with the kit, or is it just that you have to have one to be one of the boys.
I personally set a goal for myself after buying a DA 50 that was to have the next plane I owne to be 15 lbs, I"m tired of flying a brick, then I see this thread of a 3D plane, guess what, 15 lbs, I"m almost sold on getting one.
Rcpete
Old 05-05-2005, 07:53 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI all, I've been following this thread and still wounder what makes this plane so popular, is it the lightness or the accessories that come with the kit, or is it just that you have to have one to be one of the boys.
I personally set a goal for myself after buying a DA 50 that was to have the next plane I owne to be 15 lbs, I"m tired of flying a brick, then I see this thread of a 3D plane, guess what, 15 lbs, I"m almost sold on getting one.
Rcpete
Don't confuse all up weight with wing loading. You say you don't want to go over 15 lbs, but if you have a big enough wing, then you can carry the weight. I guess it all depends on what you consider a "brick" a DA-50 on a 1/3 scale airplane certainly won't provide unlimited vertical, but with that light of wing loading, it would be far from a "brick" The Yak has more wing area than anything in that size (or weight) and that is the key to good flying. You know the thrust the DA-50 provides, and your target is 15lbs, it sounds like you just want to rocket out of a hover, and accelerate going straight up out of sight, IMO, there is far more to it than that, I like them to slow down for landing too, and "mush" into a stall predictably without snapping with every pull of the elevator.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

With the KS 1060 pipe mine might be on the heavy side. I think it is very close to 16lbs. Fromeco lions and regulators, Hitec 5945s,5955 on rudder, digitl mini on the throttle(can't remember the number right now) ,SWB arms, stock wheels,no pants, 16 oz tank, two line sys, fiberglass spinner, 22x10 menz, two MPi switches, Hangar 9 aluminum fuel dot, ED kill sw.( I know smartfly is lighter, but I already had the electro dynamics)
Other than the wheels I don't know how I could save any more. The stock landing gear seems pretty light, not to sure it would be worth it to try aluminium or carbon gear.
I don't think there will be very many coming in at 15lbs. Having said that, I will tell you it sure don't feel heavy when I fly it, this thing really floats.
The power is more than enough to punch out of a hover. I flew three more flights today and I am starting to feel very comfortable with it. If I ball it up I will be ordering another.
Thanks Chris, this is one awesome plane.

Dave
Old 05-05-2005, 08:53 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, I an a torqe flyer, not speed, I love to fly slow, turn on the power and go straight up. I also do not want an airplane that will snap out at the bottom of a inverted loop.
A knife edge loop and a flat inverted spins would be great.
Rcpete
Old 05-05-2005, 09:41 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

This is the plane for you! If you use LiIons, a 16 oz tank, no wheel pants, stock muffler, wood prop, and no spinner, you will have this thing under 15 pounds, and under a 23 oz wingloading...YOU WILL NOT FIND A LIGHTER, BETTER FLYING PLANE....PERIOD!!! And, at that weight, count on rocketship vertical and 1/4 throttle hovers...
Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

Heres how I did my tank mount it dont weigh much I designed it my self and my pull pull I used kevalor and air wild connectors . Working hard to get it finished just finished up my 35% Air Wild Edge so i can put all my focus on my Yak now .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98224.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	267552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31923.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	267553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22677.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	267554  
Old 05-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Gotta_Fly

Hey Guys

I ordered the smaller profile pull pull wire connectors from SWB, But tonight I started to change out the ones that came with the kit for these new ones, but realized that the normal size crimps that I bought from dubro # 895 it would not allow the wire to feedback through, so my question is where do you order these crimps from. I could have ask this question in another thread I suppose but its for the yak so what the hell..

Thanks Guys

RW

Old 05-05-2005, 11:26 PM
wgeffon

Something to be said about usuing the stock hardware. IT ALL WORKS and is designed to be hassle free.

Randy,
I have heard you can get crimps in the fishing section of a sporting goods store.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Bob101

Good hardware stores have crimps in several sizes just like the ones you use on a pull/pull cable....
Old 05-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Gotta_Fly

Yeah I really didn't want to change it out but I ordered a few things from SWB and one of the items I bought was not what I thought it was, so when it came in the mail, I said what the hell might as well use it, But yeah the factory one work just as good, Thanks for the info though...

RW
Old 05-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Absolut Yak

Alrighty, then. Who is going to be at Joe Nall with their Yak?

Believe it or not, I haven't started building mine yet. (I can, however, tell you my wife is extremely pleased with the completely new kitchen I put in.) Only thing I've done is cut enough covering to insert the wing and elevator tubes to look for the dreaded twist. Mine is almost dead on. Anyway, present plan is to bring the ARF with me and work on it there. Should give me something to do while I'm not drooling over something Nick Zirolli designed.

I have a DA-50, stock muffler, prop, Pete's spinner, Li-Ion's, switches, most of my servos (I kept stealing 5945's for my other planes), extensions, stock and alternative pull-pull systems, and some cash to hit the vendors for whatever I need to finish this up. So, if you are bored and happen to find me hard at work and want to volunteer expert advice and services, feel free to assist.

Doug
Old 05-06-2005, 02:25 AM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

Im going YAK not ready yet
Old 05-06-2005, 03:02 AM
islandflyer

For pull/pull crimps, I bought a 12" copper tube (not brass) from LHS. I must have completed at least 7 assemblies so far , and I still have a piece left.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:22 AM
chipwill

Well, my Yak is done ( mostly ).

Balanced and needed to add 5oz weight to get it forward enough. I am using the BME 50 and I guess it is alittle lighter than the DA, plus I have a pilot in the rear seat which im sure doesnt help, but for IMAC I wanted him in there. Both batts and regs are on the engine box, as well as ignition. My engine box is heavily modified for the beam mount and to allow strapping everything on. In retrospect, I should have got a True Turn spinner, instead of a Pete's carbon spinner. The carbon looks so pretty though, I cant resist that stuff. Was easy to cut thanks to Maudib's tutorial with the contour gauge method.

Got the radio all programmed for beginning test flights, and all I need to do is a range check and then fly.

Wish me luck!

Chris, this thing is a work of art and surpasses the 68 incher. Now, if I could only build an arf that is spotless id be ok. LOL. Dont ever look at my planes close up, because they suck. The ususally fly good though, and thats what makes me happy.

One last note. BME recommends a 21x8 for break in so I am not expecting killer performance. After a few gallons ill switch to a 22x8 or a mejzlik 22x10. I'm using Bolly props right now. I'll report how well it pulls tomorrow night hopefully.

Chip
Old 05-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Stratos

Chip,

The BME and DA are within a couple of ozs of each other. Are you using the pipe on the bme?
That's the only way you might need any weight up front. Where did you find the header for it??

Also when I was breaking in my bme 50 with pitts muffler I used an MSC 22x8.
It was hauling my 16# AW Edge out of sight. 21x8 might be way too small.

Stratos.-

l
Old 05-06-2005, 08:46 AM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: chipwill

Well, my Yak is done ( mostly ).

Balanced and needed to add 5oz weight to get it forward enough. I am using the BME 50 and I guess it is alittle lighter than the DA, plus I have a pilot in the rear seat which im sure doesnt help, but for IMAC I wanted him in there. Both batts and regs are on the engine box, as well as ignition. My engine box is heavily modified for the beam mount and to allow strapping everything on. In retrospect, I should have got a True Turn spinner, instead of a Pete's carbon spinner. The carbon looks so pretty though, I cant resist that stuff. Was easy to cut thanks to Maudib's tutorial with the contour gauge method.

Got the radio all programmed for beginning test flights, and all I need to do is a range check and then fly.

Wish me luck!

Chris, this thing is a work of art and surpasses the 68 incher. Now, if I could only build an arf that is spotless id be ok. LOL. Dont ever look at my planes close up, because they suck. The ususally fly good though, and thats what makes me happy.

One last note. BME recommends a 21x8 for break in so I am not expecting killer performance. After a few gallons ill switch to a 22x8 or a mejzlik 22x10. I'm using Bolly props right now. I'll report how well it pulls tomorrow night hopefully.

Chip
Where did it balance out???? You can comfortably fly this thing with the CG up to 7/8" behind the yellow stripe...I doubt you really needed to add that dead weight right away...
Old 05-06-2005, 09:43 AM
rmh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

assemble it and pick it up reaching into the fuselage and sticking fingers under the wing tube - if it sorta balances there -go fly it then adjust cg as you like .
shifts of 1/2 " do affect models this size/weight but don't get paranoid about it
mine is nose heavy as I removed lots of weight from the tail by using only one 8611 servo next to the rudder servo to drive both elevators - (not really necessary for most applications but I wanted to do it )
Old 05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
chipwill

Thanks Statos,

Yea, I am taking the other prop with me. BME suggested the 21 x8 but I had my doubts. I am breaking in a ZDZ50 with a MenzS 22x10 and so far so good. I have a 22x8 I will put on if it is very weak, or after 2 or three tankfulls.

Off to the field now.

Chip
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well the last of my gear is on order. Need to pick up odds and ends from the LHS. Then stick the rest of the Yak together and hope it fits in the car (or I'm shopping for a new vehicle).
Old 05-06-2005, 07:10 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Well Maudib is home and he just happened to have an extra stock DA muffler, so now I have one and he has $70. Anyhow, I'll replace my Pitts with it this weekend and all will be good in Yakland.

I thought I'd share some pics of some of my mods in case any of you are interested. Here are the first few:

1) Fender washers for the standoffs - both sides of firewall
2) Current battery tray - may have to move when I change muffler
3) Antenna down the fuse to backside of tailwheel access hatch
4) Misc - spinner, cutouts, etc.

Name:	Wu62247.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	267955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77617.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	267956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39537.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	267957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93024.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	267958  
Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Now on to the more interesting ones...

1) Hatch latch - a few additional mods... I'm confident this one is rock solid
2) RX switch inside fuse - not through wall
3) IGN hotwire - no switch - simple new technique... I'm quite proud of this one [8D]
4) Choke rod from the front (thanks Wayne)... I think I'll shorten it a little more

Since I'm using the hatch latch, I don't need any external switches. Just pop the hatch to turn off and on. My 6v reg already has a switch, so I just mounted it inside the fuse. But, the little velcro deal to "hotwire" my ignition is SWEET. Rock solid, very easy and no switch to malfunction!

Tom

Name:	Om34397.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	267962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23655.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	267963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45651.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	267964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz72977.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	267965  
Old 05-06-2005, 07:22 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Nice job NEO and a very good presentation with the pictures.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Absolut Yak

After seeing Neo's post, I'm glad the thread didn't get closed out. Very nice ideas with great photo presentation.

Doug
Old 05-06-2005, 08:06 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

My DA-50 with tuned pipe is turning an MSC 22x8 around 6950 RPM's. About 1/2 gallon through her.

BTW: I learnt today that if your plane restraint is a heli starting shaft stuck into the ground and nylon straps, you better hold onto the plane. At WOT, the DA almost pulled the damn thing out of the ground
Mat - you should be getting more than that. I'm around 7000 on a 22x10 and I'm rich. You might be a little rich on the high end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.