Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 05-18-2005, 11:00 AM
jeang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Can anyone point my to a URL or HS where I could get a charger that would do 3 packs or more at a time.I remember seing one on this thread that would do 5 packs but its alot of work to try and look it up.
thx

Jean-Guy
Old 05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jeang

Can anyone point my to a URL or HS where I could get a charger that would do 3 packs or more at a time.I remember seing one on this thread that would do 5 packs but its alot of work to try and look it up.
thx

Jean-Guy
I assume you mean for Lithiums ? If so, I am using this one [link=http://fromeco.org/Shop/aChargers.htm]http://fromeco.org/Shop/aChargers.htm[/link]
Old 05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
jeang

nope it wold be for nicad and NIMH.

jeang
Old 05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
BBriBro

nope it wold be for nicad and NIMH.
Well, then there's this one [link=http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin/rcm/hazel.cgi?action=serve&item=/Models/Accessories/BatteryChargers/Sirius.html]Sirius[/link]

The Alpha 4 seems to always get rave reviews, if you can get one. [link=http://home.att.net/~LitcoSys/al4.htm]Alpha 4[/link]

Old 05-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I'll answer here instead of just to your PM Jean-Guy,

The Sommer Miniron is the charger you are thinking of... awesome... Tom and I have 1 each... I plan on getting another. 5 ports 2 amps total. Does, Nimh, NiCd, Lion, Lipoly and even Lead Acid... 5 ports. It's been very dependable for me and I use it for mostly lion... but because it does the rest made it an easy choice for most all my battery needs.

See it here: http://www.aerografixs.com/

thx

Jean-Guy
Old 05-18-2005, 01:54 PM
coche
My Feedback: (4)

I use the Digipulse, around 70 dlls and charges nicd and nimh

http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/pro...lse/index.html
Old 05-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Coche...

I think I read where you are using a Hitec 5945 on the rudder of your Yak... Is that correct??? If so, have you noticed any fade on the rudder servo when doing a lot of 3D???

I'm a little leary of the JR 8611's right now with their case problems and the 8611a's are not available yet...

Thanks

Old 05-18-2005, 03:17 PM
SPACE SCOOTER

Maudib, Thanks for the reply. To you guys who waited 2 years" HATS OFF TO YOU". Anyway I'll just keep waiting and I'm sure sooner or later it will get here. By the way, are you the person running the Chip Hyde Quite Pipe on your Yak?, and if so what do you think??..,Scooter
Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
coche

yes, I am using 5945 all around! including ruder! they have work perfect for me! snaps and anuerism are awsome and the servos make theyr job just fine!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: SPACE SCOOTER

Maudib, Thanks for the reply. To you guys who waited 2 years" HATS OFF TO YOU". Anyway I'll just keep waiting and I'm sure sooner or later it will get here. By the way, are you the person running the Chip Hyde Quite Pipe on your Yak?, and if so what do you think??..,Scooter
I started off with the Hyde pipe. For a perfect fit, we had to cut 2" off the header. When I ran the engine, I got 6200 R's max no matter what prop I ran. I switched to the DA muffler and immediately got a 500 RPM increase.
The Hyde pipe WILL outperform the stock DA if you keep the header length stock. Mounting it will be a little different but shouldn't be any harder to do. If you are thinking of one, get it...just DON"T CUT THE HEADER!!!
I think Maudib is in the same boat as me. I believe he is closer to sea level and I am at around 6500 feet. My first run with the DA, Hyde, and 23X8 resulted in a dismal 6200RPM. He is getting the same R's at his altitude with the 23X8. If he is in the same situation as me, a 22X8 won't help - only a stock length header or stock muffler will.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
rmh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you are loosing about 30% or more power .
That is not acceptable .
FWIW- any exhaustsystem should be compared against open exhaust -good pipes will run 300+ or so over open exhaust .
I don't mean mini pipes but some muffled short tuned cans will also do this
That 22x8 should be in high 6000- to low 7000
Old 05-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Maudib,

Have they changed the programming on the Miniron regarding the auto-cycle every few weeks..Not sure the exact time but I remember reading that it will automatically cycle your nicad/nimhs if left on trickle..
Old 05-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Maudib

I don' think they changed that...

It cycles after 3 days if left on totrickle. But that's based on when you attach it... so if you fly til 5 pm, go home and put on charge, it won't attempt to cycle for 72 hours... again at 5 something o-clock. If you're gonna be flying that day it will PROBABLY be before the normal end of the day

I suppose you COULD make an early day of it and get caught 3 days later somewhere in the cycle... but again... think of 3 days... most fly either evenings, then on the weekends mornings.

SO on the weekend you'd catch it before the cycle and on Wednesdays you'd catch it AFTER the cycle was complete.

Still it would be nice to turn it off... I suspect it'll become a setting at some point.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Cool..thanks!!

Im hoping they change that cause I have an A4 which is great but it doesnt do Liths..Right now I have a Fromeco charger which works great also but I want to try and get 1 charger for everything..The Miniron seems to be the one except for that cycle program..
Old 05-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Flew all day today. Going to 50:1(Penzoil 2 cycle for air cooled engines) next time I fly.(finally) The DA is running great. I switched from the menz 22x10 to the mejzlik 23x8. I have a 24x8 menz to try also.
I have not touched the needles except for a 1/8 turn to lean on the low side.
I need to play with them a little now that I have got some fuel through it.

All of my Hitec servos are working perfectly, no slop in the gear train(yet) including the 5955TG on the rudder.

Nothing has broken, cracked, split, come apart, flew off, or loosened up. I let one of the guys at the club fly it, He had nothing but good things to say.

I know if I wreck this plane I WILL buy another. Thats how much I like it.

Dave
Old 05-19-2005, 06:49 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure why but even moving my batteries from just behind the wing tube up to the engine box still leaves my CG about 1 1/2" behind the yellow stripe. How did I end up so tail heavy?? I might just add a smoke system up front then I won't have to add "dead" weight. Anyone know about how much a smoke system would weigh?

I also checked my ailerons and they had no reflex in them so I'm not sure what is up with having to add up trim while right-side-up, and more up when inverted?
Suposed to rain here today and I have family obligations tomorrow, but Sat I should be able to get it up again and check things out more.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Maudib

A smoke system with tank can run around 12 oz empty... might get by with 8 using a TME or something like it... Though ths plane would take smoke no problem and still fly nicely, I wouldn't add 12 oz plus 12 oz of smoke... That's 1.5 extra lbs on takeoff...

Post a pic of your tail setup and radio setup... there's GOT to something not quite right to be that far back.

Get the CG more forward before you concern yourself with the trimming... CG can play havoc on how a plane reacts...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:08 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: CHassan

Anyone know about how much a smoke system would weigh?
A buddy of mine made a removable system for his Composite Arf 2.6 m extra. He is using a Bennett 16 oz tank, and the Slimline showtime smoke pump (without integral battery) he is using a small 2 cell lithium, His "unit" is 9.5 oz empty.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a digital camera anymore, daughter played drums with it I think[X(]. I can tell you my ignition is on the engine box. Fuel tank is in front of the wing tube. Battery is behind the wingtube. Rec is just behind that, then nothing. I did not make any major changes to anything. I added some wood to the rudder mount as mine was flexing and not completley glued down, but everything else is standard. I'm running 8611 all around.
I'd like to keep my batteries back where I can remove them without much hassle, i.e. not on the enginebox where I have to remove the spinner prop and cowl to get to them.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: CHassan

I'm not sure why but even moving my batteries from just behind the wing tube up to the engine box still leaves my CG about 1 1/2" behind the yellow stripe. How did I end up so tail heavy?? I might just add a smoke system up front then I won't have to add "dead" weight. Anyone know about how much a smoke system would weigh?

I also checked my ailerons and they had no reflex in them so I'm not sure what is up with having to add up trim while right-side-up, and more up when inverted?
Suposed to rain here today and I have family obligations tomorrow, but Sat I should be able to get it up again and check things out more.
I have an idea, Instead of refrencing yor CG from the "yellow stripe" measure it from the leading edge. It's possible your stripe is in a different location. It would not surprise me. This is an ARF You know. Prop up the tail and level the aircraft, lay a square on the table and slide it up to the leading edge. Measure back from there. If you just eyeball it, you can be off 1/2 easy.

John
Old 05-19-2005, 10:03 AM
flat spin

1 1/2" is way back, just goes to show how stable this plane is. I am at 7 1/4" now and i think although this a good point it could go back a touch without loosing any stability.

Point of reference, has anybody tried using crank pressure for their smoke system. There are two grub screws on the underneath of the engine which can be removed and a pressure nipple fitted this can provide more than enough pressure for a smoke system all you need is a one way check valve in a bit of fuel line to prevent pressure going back out. I am interested because i only found this out myself a few weeks ago but no one seems to be using this method, does it not work well or what?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: flat spin

Point of reference, has anybody tried using crank pressure for their smoke system.
I've never used crankcase pressure to pressurize the smoke tank, But I have used the crankcase pressure to operate a diaphragm pump to pump the fluid. Bennett has been selling one for years, I think it's actually a fuel pump for a motorcycle or something, it's made by Mikuni and works fine. it's a bit heavy, and for the engines not already drilled and tapped, it can be intimidating, I like the simplicity of it, but I think the latest trend is to use the electric pumps, especially since now they are variable and can be "mixed" to the throttle on a curve and provide just the right amount of fluid regardless of throttle position and muffler back pressure.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:23 AM
flat spin

But surely with the engine already tapped and a variable valve one could control the flow anyway. I don't know. I think i am going to have to give it a shot sometime soon i just need a very reliable check valva as i was told if it fails you can easily ed up with a deadstick which in a torque roll means it's all over.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A smoke system with tank can run around 12 oz empty... might get by with 8 using a TME or something like it... Though ths plane would take smoke no problem and still fly nicely, I wouldn't add 12 oz plus 12 oz of smoke... That's 1.5 extra lbs on takeoff...
I added a 16oz smoke tank with sullivan pump and 1600 liion pack to run it... plane still jumps off the deck and climbs out of site with full fuel and oil..... Smoke ROCKS

Mike
Old 05-19-2005, 11:27 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: flat spin

But surely with the engine already tapped and a variable valve one could control the flow anyway. I don't know. I think i am going to have to give it a shot sometime soon i just need a very reliable check valva as i was told if it fails you can easily ed up with a deadstick which in a torque roll means it's all over.
I wonder how much pressure you will end up with? Pressurized tanks can be problematic too, Certain brands won't withstand the pressure and could rupture, also there is a greater chance of the stopper leaking when under pressure. If I were to use the crankcase pressure, I would use it to operate a pump, rather than connecting it directly to a tank. I suppose it depends on the valve you use, as to whether it would be variable. I always used the Bennett valve with that type of system, It worked well, and just had it on the gear switch, it was either off or on, and I installed a standard needle valve off a glow engine inline to control the flow, once it was set that was it, I never tried "mixing" the on/off valve with the throttle, I'm not sure if it would have worked that way. I always made an additional preheater coil, outside the muffler, so the fluid would travel through 2 or 3 feet of hot tubing before it was injected, again this depends on the muffler, some smoke fine without any "mods" but mine worked real good. You will also need check valves in the smoke lines too, as close to the muffler as possible, this prevents the exhaust pressure from fighting the flow of fluid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.