Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 12-07-2004, 09:10 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

What type of tape are you guys using for the plastic coupler between the header and pipe? I understand they leak oil and 'crap' until they seat - after a couple flights. This happend to a friend w/ a DA100 and cans on his CA Yak 2.6. He had a hell of a time cleaning the inside of the engine compartment.

Thx

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Drew,
My buddy in crime, Joe Kelly knows quite a bit about running the DA 50 on a pipe. If you have any specific questions about it he's a good one to ask.

J.David,
I don't have to wait till Spring to cry, I'll be talking the Wildhare out to the field tomorrow with a smile.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Right on ! [8D] Count me in on this thread. I hope to see my EF 87" real soon. I'm going to drive up to Chris' shop and pick it up as soon as it arrives. I have 5 JR 8611 servo's, and a JR 649 RCVR. My DA 50 arrived yesterday . I'm going to run the stock DA muffler, because of the weight savings. And I have flown Chris' prototype without a pipe -- Plenty of punch . I'll be VERY appreciative of any tips and advice this thread can provide. I haven't been this anxious about a new airplane in a long time.

Pretty soon I'm going to change my Avitar...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Aerosplat

I have flown Chris' prototype without a pipe -- Plenty of punch
I am hoping to get rid of my Wh Edge early next year and replace it with this Yak. Pulling all of my gear out of the Edge for the Yak.....I have a DA50 with Slimline smoke mufflers....was hoping to not have to buy the pipe if I didn't need the extra power.... (I should have the pipe for the WH)

Drew, didn't you say that Wayne was putting regular mufflers on his so that you could compare them side by side???
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Ya - last I spoke w/ him he was going to run his w/out the pipe.

I'm thinking long and hard about putting 5945 in this plane. For sure I'm going w/ the 8611 on the rudder w/ Scott's servo arms (swb). W/out getting into the Hitec debate, I'm wondering if I should just pony up and go for 8611s or install rebuilt 8411s. I have the 5945s sitting here ready to go. I've never had a problem w/ my HT servos, but someone told me the other day to carry a fire extinguisher around if I run HT servos. He was obviously joking, but I have that in the back of my mind.

ORIGINAL: dgfick

ORIGINAL: Aerosplat

I have flown Chris' prototype without a pipe -- Plenty of punch
I am hoping to get rid of my Wh Edge early next year and replace it with this Yak. Pulling all of my gear out of the Edge for the Yak.....I have a DA50 with Slimline smoke mufflers....was hoping to not have to buy the pipe if I didn't need the extra power.... (I should have the pipe for the WH)

Drew, didn't you say that Wayne was putting regular mufflers on his so that you could compare them side by side???
Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

My set up will be.

DA-50 STD muffler
Mejzlik 22x10 for break-in and Menz 24x8 after that.
8611's on everything.
Powerflite 2200 on Ign
Powerflite 4400 on RX
HD JR switches
SWB ARM's
Petes Models CF spinner

Hmmm what else?
Oh yeah, nothing. Its all included.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:47 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'm one that cancelled my order, and I'm happy with my H9 33% Edge that I got instead. However, once this bird gets established, I do have a DA-50 and a bunch of 8611's that would feel very comfortable in one. It'll be tough to pull that stuff out of my Wildhare Extra, as I really like that plane... this will have to be a demon for me to do the swap. I look forward to hearing all the news on this airframe.

BTW... from a business standpoint, why pay to air-freight any of them? After waiting this long, will one more month matter? There's no marketing to do, since I understand they are all sold. I don't get it.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
wgeffon

Because Chris is willing to pay a little out of his pocket to get planes here ASAP to customers who have been on the list since the beginning and did stuck it out. I know there are a lot more than ten people who fit this description but, he had to pick a number.

Anyway,
Back to the threads original intent.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:09 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

The power end of this plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39299.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	200668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96759.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	200669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37300.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	200670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58612.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	200671  
Old 12-08-2004, 09:49 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Why change the arms to SWB when the plane comes with the bolt on arms.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:52 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Hey Drew, thanks for starting this thread. I 'll be sure to check in as often as possible to answer any questions that might come up.

The Yak has a built in pipe tunnel and will accept most tuned pipes and canister mufflers for 50cc engines. However, if you don't feel like messing with the pipe, the DA-50 with stock muffler or pitts style muffler will provide more than enough power.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

Why change the arms to SWB when the plane comes with the bolt on arms.

I am pretty sure it doesnt come with servo arms.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:22 AM
dgfick

Wayne, when is your building party going to happen???
Old 12-09-2004, 10:34 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy Crap that is an awesome video on your build site. I really cant wait till things settle down. I really want one of these planes bad. I'll have to size down to get it but it sure looks like a sweet flying airplane..
Old 12-09-2004, 10:44 AM
wgeffon

As soon as we get the planes.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:01 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

An appropriately premature question for this premature thread.

Who's gonna use a BME 55 on theirs?
Old 12-09-2004, 11:08 AM
dgfick

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

An appropriately premature question for this premature thread.

Who's gonna use a BME 55 on theirs?
Why do you follow and post on this thread????
Old 12-09-2004, 11:13 AM
dgfick

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

As soon as we get the planes.
Smartazz
Old 12-09-2004, 11:50 AM
BasinBum

Why do you follow and post on this thread????
Because it's highly entertaining.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:05 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Build & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & FlyBuild & Fly!!!!! HAW!

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Jleyland

BasinBum,
Thanks for sharing and contributing to this thread. Without your input and informative posts, I'm sure this thread would be misguided and possibly stray off to another subject. For this we thank you sincerely!
take care
Jon
Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 PM
coche

Hi, it´s nice to have this thread! Because I am in the waiting list, and I want to have all that I need to build this plane before I have the plane! I have a DA-50 and some Hitecs, waiting!
I want you all to share with me who is going with stock muffler, and who its going with a pipe, or canastier! and why?
I have never use a pipe or a canastier, so I dont know what to expect from a canastier or a pipe, but as Chris says that the plane comes with a built in pipe tunel, I think I can try the pipe, or canastier, but I want you all to convince me to go with a pipe!

Best

Jose
Old 12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
BasinBum

Thanks Jon, when a pro level pilot is making sarcastic posts to me I now I'm on top of my game. Sorry for going against the grain with you guys but build threads of planes yet to be delivered is amusing to me.

I look forward to actual BUILDING posts once the planes arrive but I still can't jump on the bandwagon until then. I have confidence in Chris and his planes and have not made any remarks to the contrary so those of you who have reverted to name calling should check youselves.

Reason for edit: Unnecsasary statement, come on BB you know better!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:07 PM
harrier

ORIGINAL: coche

Hi, it´s nice to have this thread! Because I am in the waiting list, and I want to have all that I need to build this plane before I have the plane! I have a DA-50 and some Hitecs, waiting!
I want you all to share with me who is going with stock muffler, and who its going with a pipe, or canastier! and why?
I have never use a pipe or a canastier, so I dont know what to expect from a canastier or a pipe, but as Chris says that the plane comes with a built in pipe tunel, I think I can try the pipe, or canastier, but I want you all to convince me to go with a pipe!

Best

Jose
This plane does not need a pipe for performance reasons. I have flown this plane a lot with a DA50 and standard Slimline muffler and it is INCREDIBLY powerful. It will do everything you would ever want it to do, including "jumping out of the hole" with authority when torque rolling. If your field requires pipes or had a noise ordinance, then put the pipe on. If not, just go with the standard muffler, you WON'T be displeased. Instead put your money towards the servos or radio gear.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:40 PM
coche

how will the tunel for the pipe look with out the pipe? wount it look as if something is missing? or will it be covered? I know the ARF are not here yet, but I just wanted to know if chris have told you something
Old 12-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Stratos

I'm on the waiting list too and hopefully I'll get one of those that are coming with the slow boat.

I'm planning to get the KS pipe for it but not because I need the extra power (even though there isn't such a thing as too much power).
I saw, and most importantly, heard a plane with the DA 50 on the pipe and liked the quietness and the low growl it emits in high rpms.

One question I have though is if it will be more quiet with an MTW can on it. Anyone have any experience on that? the pipe vs the can on noise?

Also I saw people's pictures with the 'question mark' header and the pipe. Is this the header we need for this plane for the pipe/cannister? Chris?
Are there any specific dimensions I need to be aware when I place the order to DA?

Thanks,

Stratos.-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.