Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 05-22-2005, 01:04 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Jose, I sent bob an e-mail, he got right back to me. The SmartFly Reg comes set at the lowest voltage. I need to bump it up to 6 volts and give it a try. I have a feeling it will be much better. A 5945 on 4.8 volts is not very powerful
Old 05-22-2005, 01:18 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

I've never changed mine... I guess that means I'm at 4.8v then! How do you change them?

Tom
Old 05-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Tom,

The one you have now is the un-adjustable regulator.

The newer design (not sure if he still offers both types) has pins that are used to "program" the output voltage setting from 5.2 tp 6.5 volts.

Next ones we get Tom... next ones...
Old 05-22-2005, 04:43 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

I too am waiting for the 5955, but have had no problems with the 5945. I am not a family flyer either, I have even done aneurysums (sp) total stick deflections etc. But, I do not fly it fast, and neither should any of you, never ever be at full throttle unless you are going straight up. I have one FM receiver, 1 2100mah nimh and 1 switch, no regulators.
Jeff W.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:31 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: JWilliams

I too am waiting for the 5955, but have had no problems with the 5945. I am not a family flyer either, I have even done aneurysums (sp) total stick deflections etc. But, I do not fly it fast, and neither should any of you, never ever be at full throttle unless you are going straight up. I have one FM receiver, 1 2100mah nimh and 1 switch, no regulators.
Jeff W.
How many volts? I have determined my problem is more than likely because I'm running 4.8 volts

John
Old 05-22-2005, 08:37 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

I am running a 6v 2100mah nimh.
Jeff
Old 05-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Alright guys, I'm going in. Started working on the plane today for the first time. I've got some issues with the anti rotation pins in the horizontal stab. They simply aren't going to line up between the first and second rib of the stab Got the stab mounted temporarily with the bolts and spar tube and have pretty much decided once that thing is on permanently it is staying on permanently. So, before anyone flames me, I'm going wading through the prior 166 pages I have read in their entirety since this thread started and find out what the fix is. Wish me luck.

Doug
Old 05-22-2005, 09:08 PM
wgeffon

Doug,

What exactly is the problem with the pins?
I am having a hard time trying to visualize what you are saying.

Pic?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Absolut Yak

Wayne,

No pics at the moment because I am surfing the first 30 pages of this thread still.

Basically, the anti rotation pin does not line up between the root rib hole and the second rib hole. I insert the pin into the root rib and the pin hits the second rib a full pin diameter aft of the existing hole. My left stab pin points forward significantly and the right not as bad. The problem I haven't isolated yet is which way to correct it. I think there is a doubler at the root rib and the inboard portion is misaligned with the outboard portion and therefore the channel of the hole aims aft of where it should go. I had to do some dremeling of the root rib to get its hole to line up with the phenolic tube. It wasn't much, but a 1/16" is enough to keep the spar tube from going in. I'll try to get some pics in a short while.

Doug
Old 05-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

The pins go in at an angle. It looks wrong, but it's right.
The pins will be parallel to the stab tube.

Jim
Old 05-22-2005, 09:58 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

The pins are tight if you can not force them in take a drill bit the same size as the pin and drill on the same angle as the pin goes in drill slow to get thr angle right then they will go right in .
ORIGINAL: djccrn

Alright guys, I'm going in. Started working on the plane today for the first time. I've got some issues with the anti rotation pins in the horizontal stab. They simply aren't going to line up between the first and second rib of the stab Got the stab mounted temporarily with the bolts and spar tube and have pretty much decided once that thing is on permanently it is staying on permanently. So, before anyone flames me, I'm going wading through the prior 166 pages I have read in their entirety since this thread started and find out what the fix is. Wish me luck.

Doug
Old 05-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Absolut Yak

The trick is/was figuring out which way to correct what angle, because it's not obvious without putting the stab into place. Hammbone is exactly correct, and flyingcrazy's suggestion is just what I planned on doing, BUT, had to double check. "I cut it twice, and it's still too short!"

Here are a couple pics just for reference of what I'm working on. The right stab pin almost goes in with force, but I don't think I can get it out again to epoxy it. The left stab pin is not even close, even with force.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34421.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	275172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52777.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	275173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11497.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	275174  
Old 05-22-2005, 10:24 PM
wgeffon

Doug,

From that first pic, it looks like if you opened up the root rib hole slightly you will be able to angle the pin to the hole. Once that is done, it should meet up with the hole in the side of the fuse.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Absolut Yak

Fixed the right stab in about 5 seconds just holding a drill bit in my fingers. I think I took off some glue that was changing the angle. The left stab was easy to change the angle of the root rib hole to align with the second rib. However, this is the stab where the phenolic tube didn't line up as well with the root rib and the phenolic is about 1.5mm forward of where it should be. Therefore, the pin hits just aft of the hole in the fuse, and is at a slightly closed angle. So, the fix is open the root rib hole forward very slightly, or move the fuse hole slightly aft.

Problem is I hate oblong holes and the pin is slightly loose in the holes and gets crammed into the stab every time I do a test fit. I have to fish it out with hemostats every time. Don't really feel like messing with it anymore tonight. So, off to bed and I'll fix it later. Nothing a little epoxy won't cure. Ha ha, I made a joke, "cure!"

Thanks for the input everyone.

Doug
Old 05-22-2005, 11:12 PM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: djccrn

Doug
I had to do some minor trimming here. Mine was so minor though that It was a bit of a no brainer that I was not worried about.
If yours is much worse, it will still be easy to trim. Just be sure to measure the distance from the edge of the stab tube cutout to the edge of the anti-rotation pin cutout on the fuse and be sure that, whatever trimming you do, you keep that measurement the same on the stabs. Beyond that, make sure your anti-rotation pin is parallel to your stab tube when looking at the top AND front of the stab.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:18 PM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

After seeing the pics I remembered clearly what I did there. I started off by sanding the pins, but only to rough them up for better glue adhesion. Then I literally forced the pin over to line up with the inner rib hole, tapped the pin in with a small hammer just enough to go through and just used CA to glue it in...it ain't goin' anywhere.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:15 AM
seasilverflyer
My Feedback: (5)

I am sorry to but in here. i want a giant gasser and the yak comes in first place from the research on boards. A 33% kit built aeroworks
edge 540T with a 3w-80 aboard is available for sale. both the engine and plane are discontinued from the mfg. --older styles!!. the plane is in great shape and i would like to step up to the plate on it. Is there a problem I am not aware of in buying a model and engine that is no longer on the mfg."rs current products list. Any feedback from someone on this wpold be greatly appreaciated. this is my first post on the universe since I joined. Have a great week---- John.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:42 AM
torqmeister

I would call Aeroworks & make sure some spare parts are still available. Then decide what kind of flying you want to do, for 3D I think this combo is a little light on power, but ok for IMAC. Had a friend here with that plane & a 3W 70, a good flyer. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:50 AM
BARCC
Banned

anybody know when the Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 will be in stock? I'm getting a little sick right now, because they don't have any.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

Sometime this summer. Any news Chris on next shipment?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Ricmussman

The best guess that I have heard is late June. If you are getting sick, imagine how Chris feels..... He has the the best 50cc plane, the best 1.20 size plane, one of the best profiles, and little built up electric planes on the market, and he has NONE in stock. This is his life and he has had nothing to sell for the past 2 months. I hope his ship comes in, not necessaraly for us as pilots, but him as a business owner.

I am sure that good things come to those who wait, there are many good 50cc'ers out there but none like this. Best I can say is be paitent.

Just a little update on the all white EF Yak that I did in the "Red Bull" scheme. I got it back from Jim Short (professional builder) this weekend, the color match was off from the ultracote that I used. He tried computer match 3 different times and it never was satisfing to him. His solution was to recover the Blue to match his paint and replace the graphics himself. I am amazed at his integrity, He didn't want his name on something that didn't look right, so he made it right at his expense. For what its worth it looks amazing. Now all I have to do is the canopy latch mod, Kregg Wright cockpit upgrade, Firewall fix, Tank mount, weigh and balance, it should fly this week. I will post pics for all to see.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
wgeffon

Ric,

You going to be at the Columbus IMAC this weekend?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:03 AM
jrjohn

I have never heard of anybody with this problem.

The anti-rotation pins are not perpendicular to the stab root, is that whats throwing you off?

John
Old 05-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Ricmussman

I want to go, but I have no plane to fly. I was hoping to have flown my Yak for the last three weeks, but it didn't happen that way. I have never competed so I have no idea what to do or expect. I might come up to scribe or just watch and learn but I won't be flying in the competion. If I come I will be bringing the Red Bull, but it might only have a couple flights on it, or I might make its maiden there, or if not ready just show it off.

It is also the weekend of the Block Garage Sale so my wife may not let me go play[:@]. I'll work on that, but I tend to loose those request just to keep the peace.

So I guess my answer is ????
Old 05-23-2005, 11:44 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got another 4 flights on mine this weekend. Recovered the wing and moved the CG up about 1 1/2 -2" I'm now about 1/2 - 3/4 behind the yellow stripe. I know this is not an accurate measurement but I don't care where it is as long as it flies the way I want it.
I also leaned the engine out about 1/8 turn and it smoothed out alot more. It is still rich, but alot better.
With the CG forward more it flew much better. I will move it just a bit more forward as It's not neutral upright to inverted. I tried out high rates and man is it crazy. couple clicks of throtle and pulled vertical and it went to far, I went inverted.[:-] I've not tried any real 3D other than a couple slow walls and a poor excuse for a waterfall.
I've been trying to fly the basic IMAC sequence mostly. Still need a bit of trimming to do, but it's pretty close.
I've not even looked at my other planes since the first time I flew this thing. 40 sized sport planes just wont cut it anymore lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.