Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:59 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Hmmm..

I went to 6 IMAC's last year, 2 so far this year, one next weekend, and one the weekend after that.
A device allowing you to kill the motor such as a FO Kill, Choke servo, Smart fly cut out switch etc has not been anything that was required or checked for, at any of the contests I have been to.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:30 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: Maudib

not to mention trying to remember which diretion the switch goes to flip a choke servo... even tho the FO swirch needs a swich, the smart-fly has an led to let you know it's hot...

safety in starting... if receiver is not on the engine won't fire...
I am not running a switch inline with my smartfly, couldn't justify it. If I have a smartfly failure in the air where it fails in the "on" position (HIGHLY unlikely), that switch would do me no good - for that matter, that switch would do me no good in the air whatsoever. On the ground, if it fails in the "on" in the pits (again, HIGHLY unlikely), I have my throttle servo to cut the throttle and kill it. In the absolute worse case scenario, where my radio fails and the smartfly doesn't do its job and just stays on, I have the hatch latch and direct access to my ignition battery connector, which is right out in the open where all I have to do is yank it and the engine will die. I also have the LED staring me right in the face so I know when the ignition is on, and my Tx cutoff is on a trainer button, so there is no confusion as to what position is the "on" position - push it and ignition is off, let go and it is on...simple.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:56 PM
BARCC
Banned

Man, I'e been down in the dumps lately, because I'm only 15, and I want the BEST of everything, and can't afford those things, FYI: JR PCM 10X[8D], DA Motors[8D], Those cool trick carbon fiber spinners[8D], JR Digital Servos,[8D] the new JR 10 Channel synthesized receiver coming out soon[8D], etc, etc. It all adds up VERY quickly, even boiling down to servo extensions and stuff, also I want those cool trick Duralite Batteries[8D], what I need is a job, but this hobby is soooo expensive, even though I've been in it for about 4 years, I'm already getting discouraged!! I wonder if I should quit Tell mewhat I should do, I'm trying to be content with what I have, but its soo hard, because my 6EXA wont do what I want anymore, and Ive been talking to Mike McConville so much, hes gonna get me to switching to JR in a heartbeat. Thanks soo much!!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I'm with you, and I don't have a switch currently in the loop... battery plugs directly in to the Engine cuttoff.

On my other planes I use an regulator on lion for ignition and because it features a failsafe switch is behind the optical kill. If the switch is off (and working) the transmitter switch will not turn on the light telling me I have no juice... cannot start the engine otherwise.

I was refering to "switch" when a choke servo is using one witht he battery... mosy switches have no way of knowig they are powered unless you paint a dot on the one side or something... even then a simple mistake in stalling the switchplate can have it backwards. Leaving it on when you think it's off... and I see guys pinwheeling the prop around to ddraw fuel up the line... dangerous if they have no real indicator that it's hot.

Turning OFF choke with a switch when you think it's on can leave you flipping and sweating blaming a perfectly engine for getting flooded and never starting.

FInal summation for me? Optical ignition Kill is lighter, easier to install with velcro, offers a positive method od identifying "hot", will NOT allow the ignition to be hot if the OR transmitter is off (I see this TOO often) and in the event of catastrophic battery failure... the engine is killed. Whether in the air or in the pits. I don't have to grope with my one arm that is left, wipe the blood off the transmitter and hit any buttons...

Old 05-26-2005, 02:56 AM
islandflyer

All three of us here in Hawaii have received our DAs, and now we just have to be patient and wait to hear that Chris has received the next shipment.................Hopefully in June ????????[&o]
Old 05-26-2005, 03:29 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats the way it is. I'm 30 years old and I can't afford all that stuff either. This will probably be the only gasser I have for along time (if things stay together). Now that my wife knows what they realy cost, I'll be lucky to replace this one should anything happen.
I've flown sport radios and planes for about 15 years, I didn't have a computer radio up until last year I bought my first. Flying is still fun, you don't need all that big fancy brand name stuff to fly, fly well, and have fun!!!! Enjoy what you can get!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:13 AM
Maudib

BARCC,

When I was 15 I got an under the table job at an ice cream store. Worked all summer to get up the money to purchase a Ruger STainless Steel 22/22 Magnum single action pistol. My Mom, laid it away and I went every week and paid on it. (I was a big hunter/trapper back then)

Took me most of the summer but I did it... and the pride I had in the fact I worked and paid for that gun made it much more valuable to me.

Mowing lawns, pizza shops, etc... there are a LOT of opoortunities for making $200 a week under the table... 8 weeks times $200 would get you some pretty trick stuff. Maybe after a month your parents would see your diligence and front the rest and you could pay them back.

You posted this on a different plane thread... if you really want a rad plane, you've got to put some rad effort into it. Or hope someone just gives you one...

Old 05-26-2005, 06:39 AM
BARCC
Banned

hey, I have another opportunity, im sure all of u guys have heard of Tristan or Trystan Kline or Cline(used to be world's youngest AMA pilot and did IMAC)(he lives about 2 miles away from me), right? Well, he doesnt fly any more, but his dad was a dealer for Chip Hyde, and Planes Plus, and he says he has 2 planes!! a 25%, and a 27%, i bet that 25% he didn't hagve time to mention them, but he said 1 is a extra, and 1 is a cap, i bet anything that capo is the chip hyde 25% one, right? he said the DA50 would haul ***** with that 25%, and said on the 27% it would fly OK? Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: matus777

ORIGINAL: BARCC

Because Tom at Wildhare recommends doing this, because you can operate the choke go figure, and kill the plane in the air if for some reason its on low throttle and wont quit. And IMAC recquires a wat to kill your plane in the air, if something happens.

Does this type of thing actually happen in the real world?
LOL
Old 05-27-2005, 06:37 AM
BARCC
Banned

hey, I have another opportunity, im sure all of u guys have heard of Tristan or Trystan Kline or Cline(used to be world's youngest AMA pilot and did IMAC)(he lives about 2 miles away from me), right? Well, he doesnt fly any more, but his dad was a dealer for Chip Hyde, and Planes Plus, and he says he has 2 planes!! a 25%, and a 27%, i bet that 25% he didn't have time to mention them, but he said 1 is a extra, and 1 is a cap, i bet anything that cap is the chip hyde 25% one, right? he said the DA50 would haul ***** with that 25%, and said on the 27% it would fly OK? Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:40 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I made two more flights last night. Both went very well. I played with high rates a little and whooohoo, did my first ever high alpha rolls. Knife edge loops would be easy if I didn't chicken out on the backside. I had a little trouble getting it into a hover, might have been because I was so high, and the wind was pretty strong.
Leaned out the engine more and although it still sputters a little it runs much better. About 6900 on a 22x10, transition is good but it coughs at less than 1/2 throttle.
I've not had anymore problems with covering, and my firewall is still holding up.
I'm impressed and how light you can touch down with the Yak. Makes me look like a much better pilot than I think I am.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:29 PM
BARCC
Banned

hey, I have another opportunity, im sure all of u guys have heard of Tristan or Trystan Kline or Cline(used to be world's youngest AMA pilot and did IMAC)(he lives about 2 miles away from me), right? Well, he doesnt fly any more, but his dad was a dealer for Chip Hyde, and Planes Plus, and he says he has 2 planes!! a 25%, and a 27%, i bet that 25% he didn't have time to mention them, but he said 1 is a extra, and 1 is a cap, i bet anything that cap is the chip hyde 25% one, right? he said the DA50 would haul ***** with that 25%, and said on the 27% it would fly OK? Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2005, 03:03 PM
flat spin

Hey Barcc, ypur name ain't Tony two times is it by any chance. You do this on every thread you nutter[&:]
Old 05-28-2005, 12:08 AM
3de
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone here flying one of these at say 5500' with a DA 50? If so hows the pullout from hover etc?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:58 AM
BARCC
Banned

will someone answer me? Hey, I have another opportunity, I'm sure all of u guys have heard of Tristan or Trystan Kline or Cline (used to be world's youngest AMA pilot and did IMAC)(he lives about 2 miles away from me), right? Well, he doesnt fly any more, but his dad was a dealer for Chip Hyde, and Planes Plus, and he says he has 2 planes!! a 25%, and a 27%, I bet that 25% he didn't have time to mention them, but he said 1 is a extra, and 1 is a cap, I bet anything that cap is the Chip Hyde 25% CAPX one, right? He said the DA50 would haul ***** with that 25%, and said on the 27% it would fly OK? Thanks!!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Maudib

BARCC, the answer is that a 50cc will fly the CAP-X crazily powered and will fly the 27% Extra VERY nicely.

You should do some research on these planes (there are several threads on the CAP-X and CA Models 27% Extra). You'll get a lot more info there than aqsking on an EF Yak thread.

Here's JohnVH's latest RCU review of the CAP-X with DA-50 [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=500]click here[/link]

You can also go to planes plus http://www.planesplus.com/Products/Aerobatic/extra.htm and watch the 27% Extra video with a DA50...
Old 05-28-2005, 12:21 PM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

.............oooops, refreshing while submitting=same post twice..=/
Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
turbo4

Here is a direct quote from the DA 50 owners manual........"isolate the charge circuit from the ignition while charging the batteries." Does this mean don't charge the batteries through a charge jack built into a switch? Would the switch in the off position be the "isolation"

Thanks, Joel
Old 05-28-2005, 02:55 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: turbo4

Here is a direct quote from the DA 50 owners manual........"isolate the charge circuit from the ignition while charging the batteries." Does this mean don't charge the batteries through a charge jack built into a switch? Would the switch in the off position be the "isolation"
Thanks, Joel
If you have the JR JRPA004 charge switch then yes, if it is another manufactures switch I'm of no help.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:15 PM
SpaceW

hy!

At last i have decided to buy this plane. I have my name written on the european waiting list( it's an english man ( in New York ) who sells chris's products).
I know that i have time to decide what kind of equipment i will use but i have a question all the same. I am sure that i will buy a DA50 but i need to know : should i buy a pipe or a muffler? I have seen the race between the two planes on the Going Vert's website and it's very difficult to see a difference! If the muffler is enough and the pipe isn't very useful to fly 3D , i will prefer to buy the muffler ( less expensive)?

bye
Space W
Old 05-28-2005, 04:35 PM
turbo4

ORIGINAL: stomper

ORIGINAL: turbo4

Thanks, Joel
If you have the JR JRPA004 charge switch then yes, if it is another manufactures switch I'm of no help.
I have a MPI heavy duty.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:01 PM
matus777

Turbo, you can charge thru the MPI switch....just keep an eye on it....they tend to get sloppy and have been known to fail....if it gets sloppy replace with the JR...either case, charge away!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:26 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Ok, quick question. Is anyone running just a plain 50cc that's not on a tuned pipe in this airplane? How's the performance?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:03 AM
turbo4

Many are using the stock muffler, possibly the majority. I don't think anyone will disagree that the performance on the stocker is outstanding and the noise level is acceptable.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 AM
turbo4

ORIGINAL: matus777

Turbo, you can charge thru the MPI switch....just keep an eye on it....they tend to get sloppy and have been known to fail....if it gets sloppy replace with the JR...either case, charge away!

Could you describe "sloppy"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.