Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 05-30-2005, 09:23 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

I finally got to meet up with Chip, Harry and Ric at the Columbus IMAC.
I called for Harry on Saturday and he was really flying well with his Yak.
Chip couldnt fly that day durng the contest but we flew his Yak after the rounds were over.
Ric also flew after hours with us and put the first flight on his Yak . He is the guy with the Red Bull Scheme.
I have pics that I will post later. It really came out nice!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 AM
chipwill
My Feedback: (12)

Well, I should post this in the IMAC forum, but I will cross post it here.

We had the 5th Annual Columbus Imac this weekend and things started out bad for me but ended up good. I have a problem with blood vessels hemmoraging in my left eye, and as it would turn out, one decided to burst right when I was unloading my planes Saturday am. I had to back out of flying because I could not see well enough. I was really bummed since this hasnt happened since last September, and 3 weeks ago my eye doctor said any evidence of what caused it was gone. Anyhow, I dont want to turn this into a sob story, because it turned out being a great weekend. My doc was on call, and said he thinks he might want to do surgery later this week ( we had discussed this option before ).

Since It was my club hosting the contest, I hung out and helped all day and met some really cool people. I have some pics to post later but go to see Rick M. maiden his Yak in the Red Bull scheme. This is a beautiful plane Rick and worth every cent for the custom graphics! Sorry we couldn't get that one prop fixed. Wayne Geffon helped him get things straight and also flew my Yak. My vision had cleared enough for me to fly at the end of the day/evening, and I only scared the poop out of myself once, when going past the sun and dark clouds setting up for landing. All was well. I shoudl see the Red Bull at the Lebanon IMAC.

Meeting Wayne was cool after talking with him over the net for a while. I asked him if he wanted my Yak and he proceeded to put it thru its paces. It is nice to see your own plane doing all the things that Wayne and Chris can do with it. My skills are a long way from his and I was blown away to see him doing the things ive seen on video for so long. Torque rolling down low, inverted harriers, and rolling harriers, and almost everything else you can imagine. Kind of nerve racking ( my most expensive plane flying to date ), but everything worked as it should. When asked how it flew, he said, like all of the rest of them!

Wayne is a class act and a great pilot and it was really nice to finally meet him. Watching him fly in unlimited was cool as well. I wonder how long it will take me to get to that class ( if ever! ).

Hopefully I can get my photos edited the next couple days and get some posted here.

Chip
Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 AM
morecashthansense

Hi Flat,
I have got some awsome tumbling video for you If I can figure out how to get it from a mini DVD onto something more sensible, flew yesterday and had some great flat spins with smoke on! also some very extreme tumbles spining around the COG very fast.. had to change underware after first try.
Last flight after trying to get DA right deadsticked and landed in next field has stressed the undercart a bit no obvious damage and flipped over and did some damage to top of rudder, will have it fixed by next week.

My DA is actually a bit of a PIA there is a very rough spot at about quarter to a third throttle which I cant get rid of with needle tweaking I was wondering if youve heard anything about changing the ignition pickup position as it sounds to me as if it could be a kind of advance/ retard issue???

Here is some pics of my eventuall rudder arm set up took about 3 nights with cardboard templates to work out the pivot position relative to the cable fix points my fault after glueing the stock arms in wrong, however no slop throughout entire travel.... 3 nights? it was worth it.

See you at Weston Park?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80242.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	278157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66827.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	278158  
Old 05-30-2005, 11:24 AM
flat spin

Before you start changing the timing let it run in. After one gallon you will have a different engine and again after three. A freind of mine has put six through his now and he says realistically you are looking at 5 gallons to get the max out of the engine. You could also check that the reid valves are all closing properly, my first DA didn't and the switch changed it immediately.

I look forward to them vids. If you have any trouble send it to me i'll send it to Nathan or you could try and send it to goign vert on shut up and fly site.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:27 AM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

SORRY no slack in mine ! I opened up the exits inside the fuse with a dreamel to make the cables go in a straight line and even with a straight arm their is no slack in mine at any point of deflection . My cables do not touch any wood where they exit this will keep the cables from being worn at point of exit .
ORIGINAL: flat spin

You do get quite a bit of slop with a straight arm. I must say i had the 3" Airwild which worked fine but i ended up swapping the SWB arm in and i was really suprised by the difference. The stock setup would achieve much the same thing though.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 AM
morecashthansense

Hi Flat,

I have about 2 gals plus through the engine up to now with no improvement in mid-range but am getting 6800rpm with that carbon prop now which is an improvement of about 500 rpms since first start up.

When I did the carb spacer block mod which I got direct from DA I had a close look at the reeds petals and noticed that two were shut completely and two were very slightly open at their top do you think I should change them out for a new set??
Old 05-30-2005, 11:37 AM
flat spin

Yeah if you do em straight then you eliminate the slack. Personally i don't see the big deal with a bit of slack anyway seeing as the load is going to push against it anyway.

THe key thing with the bend in the standard and SWB setup is that you get a better angle to pull the cable across the fus which is i guess why Chris done it that way in the first place, I would like to take credit for working this out but it was actually something which the gnetleman at SWB explained to me.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:47 AM
flat spin

I can't say, some are not perfect and run fine. Mine were well out, you could hear air forcing it's way out after the compression stroke. The new one seals perfectly.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:29 PM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: WaPilot

i didn't put the rod in the front just on the back side. only need a metal rod and two wheel collars(?) no more lost blind nut or stuck 4x40 screws.
QUestion ! I have a ZDZ 50 RV with 22x10 prop. ( new engine) It flies good but not enough for 3d. Engine is fairly new and I know it takes 3-4-gallons before it makes more power. Keep in mind this is RV not a newer NG model. And it feels seriously under powered in climbing . RC Showcase recommends 50NG which has more power than the RV. Should I go with 50NG or even a 60RV??? I'm no longer considering DA because I'm sick of waiting for them. Thanks.
Try a 22X8 before going with a new engine. You may also look at BME engines, but DO NOT PUT A 60 ON THIS PLANE, or any heavy engine for that matter!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:43 PM
wgeffon

Ric's Red Bull Yak.

Name:	Vt56778.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	278218  
Old 05-30-2005, 01:52 PM
flat spin

That looks very nice, more shots please!!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:22 PM
bodywerks

Man that looks RETARDED!!!

...just kidding!! AWESOME!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I have a chance to get a new Slimline Pitts for the same price as the stock DA muffler..Is there any disadvantage to using the Slimline over the stock??
Old 05-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

You'll lose some rpm's with the slimline... maybe 200-400rpm... but it should be about 3 db quieter... maybe 95-97... It may also be a tad heavier... 2-6 oz...

The plane has tons to spare so you can go either way...
Old 05-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Josey Wales

Thanks..I dont have to worry about noise so i guess the only thing would be the weight and power loss..Does one fit better in the cowl than the other?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:24 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

I went with the pitts because I like the look ready to fly mine weighs 15 1/2 lbs. with true turn with lighten back plate and mejzlik prop and balance is on the wing tube have not flown it yet if I need tail weigh can change to a wood prop for a little more tail weight and I can move my battery back also .
ORIGINAL: Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks..I dont have to worry about noise so i guess the only thing would be the weight and power loss..Does one fit better in the cowl than the other?
Old 05-30-2005, 07:10 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I'm using the slimline pitts smoke muffler. My rpms are a few hundred down from most posted here for the stock muffler. You have to cut an additional hole in the cowl to clear the lower left hand corner of the muffler chamber. The hole I cut is about an inch tall and an inch and a half long. The exhaust pipes are also centered roughly on the short vertical section of the cowling in front of the air exit hole. I hope that makes sense. If I had known, I'd have just went with the stock muffler. I figured sooner or later I'd put a smoke system on this one or one in the future so I got the smoke muffler now instead of buying a second one sometime down the road.
Matt
Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

The KS 1060 tuned pipe with the solid header pipe is the way I went. I am very happy with this set up on the DA 50. The plane came in at a AUW of 16lbs 3oz.
I have about three gallons through it now. With the Mejlick 23x8 it pulls out of a hover like my foamy! I can't believe how smooth this engine runs. It idles great, transitions very smooth.
I let one of the guys fly it today, a very experienced pilot, ........ he says, oh baby! I love the way this plane flies. I said, so do I
......the DA is worth waiting for IMHO

Hatch latch still working, no prob ....

Dave
Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Josey Wales

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
chipwill
My Feedback: (12)

Here are a few pics. I will have more done later this week on a web page. Wayne and Ric's Yak. Don McLellan's 40% Carden Extra during the Sunday Freestyle, Part of the flightline from Sunday, and Wayne's Carden Extra after a round of flying.

Chip

Ps. Sorry if I made it seem like Wayne scared me too much flying my plane. I would hand him the transmitter anytime. I mean that. I just regret not getting my video camera out ( that I had with me but was too psyched to get it. ). Thanks again for wringing it out. Now I don't have an excuse for not trying more.

Name:	Ur52456.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	278446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46549.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	278447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46761.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	278448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50199.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	278449  
Old 05-30-2005, 10:30 PM
wgeffon

Heres a video from this weekend in Columbus.
The first part is Chip flying his Yak and the second part is Ric on his Maiden flight of the Red Bull Yak.

click
Old 05-31-2005, 04:25 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry I missed Columbus, with the rain sat it delayed our moving and we had to make multiple trips on sunday then. Sounds like everything went great.
Congrats on getting the Bull in the air Ric, it looks awsome.
Congrats on completing your first competition chipwill (even though you didn't get to fly the whole thing).

I don't know when the next local IMAC comp is but hopefully I'll e ready and my wife doesn't volenteer me for anything.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:45 AM
bodywerks

Guys, I am still having engine problems with my DA. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated on this, as I don't want to have to yank the engine and send it in for a fix, especially if it may also be an airframe issue.
Here is my problem. When pulling level from a downline, the engine dies off during the rotation, then picks back up once level. I essentially have this same problem whenever pulling any G-forces. In fact, I had my first deadstick when the engine died entering a spin. I have been in contact with DA on this once and they said it could be a funky carb, but I told them it ran fine on the ground and in level flight, so they suggested the low end might be a little lean, so I richened it up and am still having the exact same problem. They also said they haven't heard from any of you other Yak owners about this, so they don't think it is an airframe problem either (i.e. cowl venting or carb breathing). I am running the stock DA muffler and I have the entire bottom of that "block" on the bottom of the cowl cut out, as well as an exhaust hole cutout and spark plug cutout and a small cutout just forward of the head for extra cooling. Is that about what you guys are running??
Also, while DA never mentioned this, someone else mentioned that the reed valves may not be operating properly. If you think this may be the case, what discrepancies should I look for???
The poor engine performance has got me not enjoying this plane right now, so I am desperate to get it fixed...PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

Bodyworks,
Replace your carb servo with a strong one, I dont know what you have on it now, but make sure its got some torque, 80 in or so. and run your idle in the air just a skoosh higher than what you need to land. Other option, you can take off the springon the carb, this will allow the servo not to fight the spring, which is always trying to close the carb, under high g's everything is also under this stress and your servo loses the battle and the result is rpm dropping or stalling. Ever land and hear the idle drop a touch? this is why. Try it out, I think you will be happy.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:06 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Run the plane n the ground and let it warm up a couple minutes... standing in front of the elevators...

Scooch up while at idle (plane should not move with you) til your legs are behind the wing.

Give it a little throttle until the elevators bump your legs again.... do this a couple times...

If it drops or tries to quit, you need the new carb mod... if it doesn't... well... then call DA and ask the experts...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.