Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

AW man..Stop rubbing it in!! Im waiting for the next batch...You guys are killin me!
Old 07-17-2005, 01:04 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Why not just not use wheel pants and save weight????

Anyone else notice that this plane doesn't tumble very well?? With nearly all other planes I have flown, when I put both sticks to the left or right and input down elevator, the plane, umm, tumbles. With the Yak I get what looks more like a positive snap. The only way I can get it to to even close to a tumble is to fly the tumble all the way through by changing aileron input - not fun.
I also found out, almost the hard way, that the plane will snap violently with quick, full rudder from level flight. Again, not fun, especially when it happened on a low knife edge pass after a 1 1/2 snap to opposite knife edge that over rotated slightly and the plane basically went into a high speed stall and almost went in...
I am thinking that I will have to sacrifice some weight and move the CG forward...
Old 07-17-2005, 01:34 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Bodyworks, I think that most people who have seen me fly the 87" Yak in person have seen the "Aneurysm" tumble. This is a very violent sequence of tumbles that will often get as many as 3 or 4 tail over nose tumbles before losing momentum. Believe me, the Yak tumbles like no other. Try these inputs: 1/2 throttle, straight and level, on 3D rates, simultaneously chop the throttle and push full down, full left aileron and full right rudder. HANG ON! Watch your speed.
The rudder on the Yak is extremely powerful. Save full deflection rudder for flat spins and tumbles and a slightly reduced rate for high alpha knife edge and snaps. This will make a huge difference in the stability of the plane in slow knife edges as well as making it far easier to stop snaps where you want them to.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:45 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Try this one: http://video.shutupandfly.com/87.wmv The tumble toward the end gets wound up a bit better than the first one. Also I've heard a few people comment that the Yak doesn't flat spin well. Please see the upright and inverted flat spins in this video. The Yak will get very flat in both attitudes.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:43 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All in the setup - today I tried to get the waterfalls to lock in for a contineous series - finally hit it - I had the power application timing off
I was using too much power.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:44 PM
twist2
Banned

does Chris use JR transmitter an Hitec Servos?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:03 PM
bodywerks

Thanks, I will look into my rudder travel, but I am getting less than 40 degrees for sure...I know some are getting 45 or so.
I can more or less do the Anurysm, but it is more of a Lomchevak than a classic "tumble". What I am talking about is, essentially, a knife edge spin-type gyration, but on vertical and 45 degree uplines. All the Extras that I have flown do it classically: this plane does a positive-looking snap. The other funny thing is that outside snaps on the downline look more like tumbles...maybe my rudder is way over powerful, but I think I am a little too tailheavy still.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:57 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: twist2
does Chris use JR transmitter an Hitec Servos?
Yes -- I believe that Chris uses a JR transmitter and that he prefers Hitec digital servos... I am pretty sure this has been asked before on this thread and you should be able to search for the previous answer...
Old 07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
twist2
Banned

yes, I was wondering, because Chris uses the best of everything, so im gonna use what he uses, but not a 10X, ill use a 9303
Old 07-18-2005, 10:00 AM
matus777

yes, I was wondering, because Chris uses the best of everything, so im gonna use what he uses, but not a 10X, ill use a 9303

I'm thinking i "smell" a name change?????
Old 07-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Mike Parsons

Another video from this weekend. Using the new CastleCreations 110HV controllers and a 24x12 APC prop. 4800 watts and plenty of power. 85a off the charger and 6000 RPM. Power feels much better with the 24" prop over the 22". Pitch speed is down a hair, but nothing that I cant live with. I am about at the end of hop ups unless I want to increase the voltage. I am not keen on purchasing another full set of batteries and performance is good, so I think it is what it is.

This was the first flight of the day. There is another video being rendered that I think will be better. Nice low KE passes and two anurisms that made me glad I put that extra velcro strap across my battery packs.

[link=http://www.epowerflight.com/Media/87yak/MikeParsons-EFRC-YAK-071705a.wmv]4mb Yak vid[/link]
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 AM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

I think your right !!!!!!
ORIGINAL: matus777

Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

OK guys, my Yak will be here in a few days. It is coming with a DA50. Need to get gear for it. Should I order some SWB arms for it or are the arms Chris sends with it good enough? Got a line on some DS8611A servos. Prob order some airwild extensions for it. What spinner do you guys reccommend? Need to get some Fromeco batteries and regs coming. Looking at this I can see I need to get some overtime at work. I am sure I will be asking plenty of questions on the build. I already went through the thread and wrote down many of the pages with mods that I will have to do to the plane. I want this thing right when it goes up. When installing 2 latches for the canopy, where are you guys mounting them? Anyone have a pic? The reason I ask is, how do you release both latches and pull the canopy off all at once?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: flyingcrazy

I think your right !!!!!!
ORIGINAL: matus777

No doubt!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:14 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: blue ice

OK guys, my Yak will be here in a few days. It is coming with a DA50. Need to get gear for it. Should I order some SWB arms for it or are the arms Chris sends with it good enough? Got a line on some DS8611A servos. Prob order some airwild extensions for it. What spinner do you guys reccommend? Need to get some Fromeco batteries and regs coming. Looking at this I can see I need to get some overtime at work. I am sure I will be asking plenty of questions on the build. I already went through the thread and wrote down many of the pages with mods that I will have to do to the plane. I want this thing right when it goes up. When installing 2 latches for the canopy, where are you guys mounting them? Anyone have a pic? The reason I ask is, how do you release both latches and pull the canopy off all at once?
The servo arms are more than good enough, but you have to assemble them. A Petemodels spinner from Chris is the best way to go, but A truturn may be necessary for balance...I believe it's a 4". Mount one latch on each side of the turtledeck, about 1-1.5" up. Removal is easy: pull the latches back with your thumbs and lift the canopy with your index finger.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
flyingcrazy

IF YOU WILL LOOK BACK A FEW PAGES YOU WILL SEE THAT HE GOT IT OFF OF RCU ! SORRY NO FISH ! I ALMOST GOT IT MY SELF !!
ORIGINAL: bodyworks

ORIGINAL: blue ice

How are you getting your Yak in a few days??? He has been out of them for months and we have received no announcement from him that they are even on the boat yet...is this another "name change"? Sorry, but you sound a little fishy[:'(]
Old 07-18-2005, 08:41 PM
twist2
Banned

what r u guys talkin about?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 PM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Mike Parsons

Another video from this weekend. Using the new CastleCreations 110HV controllers and a 24x12 APC prop. 4800 watts and plenty of power. 85a off the charger and 6000 RPM. Power feels much better with the 24" prop over the 22". Pitch speed is down a hair, but nothing that I cant live with. I am about at the end of hop ups unless I want to increase the voltage. I am not keen on purchasing another full set of batteries and performance is good, so I think it is what it is.

This was the first flight of the day. There is another video being rendered that I think will be better. Nice low KE passes and two anurisms that made me glad I put that extra velcro strap across my battery packs.

[link=http://www.epowerflight.com/Media/87yak/MikeParsons-EFRC-YAK-071705a.wmv]4mb Yak vid[/link]

Link not working for me??
Old 07-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Mike Parsons

That is strange. It is working for me. Anyone else having problems?
ORIGINAL: turbo4

Link not working for me??
Old 07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
flyingcrazy

Works for me ! Nice plane nice flying Mike .
Old 07-19-2005, 06:31 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Nice flying Mike!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

I don't know Mike, 4800 watts... You may need some more power. Those vertical rolling uplines just barely reaches mach 1 and it's doesn't look like you have enough power to really "puch out" of any hovers. Might need to go to a large NiCAD pack
Old 07-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Mike Parsons

Thanks guys. I'm no master pilot by any means, but the Yak makes me feel like it. It certainly has a commanding presence in the air.

-Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM
rodders

Hello Fellow Yaksters,
Just to save me having to trawl this lot. 1. What page is the hatch modification on and 2. does a MTW 75 front in and front out cannister fit in this plane O.K. I have just tried it, and it is only about 1mm clear between the undercarriage plate and the pipe tunnel.
More worried about cooling as it takes up the entire tunnel. It would be nice to here if anyone else is using this cannister and pictures would be even better.
Rodders
Old 07-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

For the latch mod try page #59. Author is Maudib.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.