Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 07-24-2005, 09:34 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

LOL.

Thats funny. Out of all the 87" videos out there now they are using that one.
The video is from a couple years ago and its of the 35% Prototype.

I may see what shipping to the states is from them.

Can anyone tell I want a Yak?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Jim Flannigan

Now we know why Chris cannot get any built and sent here. They are all going to other countries.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:10 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

It came from the same batch ? The web page says they do not ship outside of New Zealand !
ORIGINAL: Wildstyle

Hi all
I have just purchased a 87" Yak from the New Zealand distributor ([link=http://www.Aerobaticarf.com]Aerobatic-ARF[/link])
As far as I know its not a reject thats being sold off cheap like some other companys.

As it came from the same batch as your yaks, it is of the same high quality. The only difference is there are no EF stickers and no wing and fuse bags. the bags are not available for quite a while and I would like to know what shape the fuse bag is so I can make my own??(I only have small pictures which are no help).

Anthony
Old 07-25-2005, 01:09 AM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

It is not the same as the EF, and does look to be a reject. Just from the picture, I can tell that it doesn't have the same landing gear or canopy, and the covering scheme is different, slightly. These people are a JOKE! They even put a pic of the REAL EF Yak right below theirs so you can compare the differences, and then they used a video of a plane that isn't even the same as what they offer or even the same size!...and did it all without permission from the owner of the video...Like TOC1, I would stay away from this one, too.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:06 AM
Wildstyle

ORIGINAL: flyingcrazy

It came from the same batch ? The web page says they do not ship outside of New Zealand !
OK, so thats want I assumed or have been told.
It was a long time before the EF yaks became available, about the same time which was also a long wait the Yaks became available here in NZ, of course I procrastinated for a long time before buying one. the rejects were available before the genuine EF yaks were or am I wrong.

I should also mention that the planes here are not sold or marketed by EF. They maybe rejects OR Mike MAY have been in contact with Chris.

I contacted Chris I long time ago about his planes but it was the Fedex bill that stopped me.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:52 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

It is not the same as the EF, and does look to be a reject. Just from the picture, I can tell that it doesn't have the same landing gear or canopy, and the covering scheme is different, slightly. These people are a JOKE! They even put a pic of the REAL EF Yak right below theirs so you can compare the differences, and then they used a video of a plane that isn't even the same as what they offer or even the same size!...and did it all without permission from the owner of the video...Like TOC1, I would stay away from this one, too.
This plane pictured here is one of the EF prototypes that Chris flew for a while.
Things changed slightly on the final production that we all are flying like, elevator servo location, and color of the canopy trim.
This pic is an EF plane. A Prototype though.

This pic is also an EF plane but is a picture used in advertising. I am almost 100% certain that its a picture that Chris used in advertising at one point.

None of that means that when you open the box from these people your going to get a EF plane. You may get something else. I guess we need more info.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Jim Flannigan

$822 USD plus shipping (if they shipped outside New Zealand) is a little too much.

I have my EF Yak finished and the color scheme will be completed today at a friends sign shop. I have flown it in it's naked state just to get some time on the brand new DA-50. I'll post photos as soon as I get it completed.

Jim
Old 07-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone tell me where the pics are for the hatch pin, and is everyone having good luck with just one? or is two needed? or has someone come up with some other way to mount the hatch easily? I know I have seen them somewhere on here by someone, but I just spent a bit of time looking with no luck.

Thanks to all for any help.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:57 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

Anyone tell me where the pics are for the hatch pin,
Start reading this thread at post #1464 [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2408226/anchors_2616983/mpage_59/key_hatch%252Clatch/anchor/tm.htm#2616983]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2408226/anchors_2616983/mpage_59/key_hatch%252Clatch/anchor/tm.htm#2616983[/link]
Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

with all the drama of not getting more of these, and uncertainity that they will ever be built again, I am glad I had the foresight to buy two of these. But, this is the first time my obsession with spares has been proven worthy. Had I known of the supply woes, I would have bought 3.

When will the market value on these raise??? Considering it might be a collectors item, may even be considered vintage before it's time, I may just never fly them.

I am just busting stones , I fly my Reject, and when it crashes , maybe an EF will get completed. But, not until I get that 3rd one. And from the looks of it, that may be a while or never.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
wgeffon

Damn,

I need one and Mike has two that might never fly or get built.
Criminal.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

with all the drama of not getting more of these, and uncertainity that they will ever be built again, I am glad I had the foresight to buy two of these. But, this is the first time my obsession with spares has been proven worthy. Had I known of the supply woes, I would have bought 3.

When will the market value on these raise??? Considering it might be a collectors item, may even be considered vintage before it's time, I may just never fly them.

I am just busting stones , I fly my Reject, and when it crashes , maybe an EF will get completed. But, not until I get that 3rd one. And from the looks of it, that may be a while or never.
Don't get too crazy,If there is a demand, the plane will be built, we may have temporary collector items, but it won't be for long.

Finding somebody to build ARF's in China is not rocket science. there are a lot of nice ARF's from China.

I fly mine like I stole it, and I'm having a blast. I met a guy at a flyin last Saturday, he was very excited when he saw mine fly. He has one of the rejects and will be flying it shortly.

I see no reason to not buy one of the rejects while waiting for a real thing. This guy paid about $250 bucks for his. For that price I'd buy one and fly the crap out of it until it breaks and never look back.

john
Old 07-25-2005, 09:20 AM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Mike has two that might never fly or get built.
Criminal.
Isn't that like buying a Ferrari and only driving it at 55mph.......
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 AM
jrjohn

Wayne I have not been on the thread for a while so I don't know what happened to yours. is there any salvage?

JOhn
Old 07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
ckoerner

Come on Mike! Sell one to Wayne. The other Yaks will be here by time you need one.

Wayne,
If you need one for a demo or something you can use mine.
Later,
Craig
Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Bosshossv8

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

I see no reason to not buy one of the rejects while waiting for a real thing. This guy paid about $250 bucks for his. For that price I'd buy one and fly the crap out of it until it breaks and never look back.

john

My sentiments , exactly.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:56 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

john

My sentiments , exactly.

I have no problem with what anyone else chooses to do with thier hard earned money. If another Yak is OK with you thats great.

My ethics and respect for Chris wont allow me to do that.
Even if the plane is $1.00 you still have to think about who your giving that dollar to.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 AM
wgeffon

Wayne I have not been on the thread for a while so I don't know what happened to yours. is there any salvage?

JOhn
John,

No its gone.
Crystal came out and it went in.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: dgfick

No. Its like buying a Ferrari and never driving it.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:13 AM
jrjohn

JOhn
Damm..... Hey lets get the double reciever fight/debate going!

John,

No its gone.
Crystal came out and it went in.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
wgeffon

LOL.

Didnt need two RX's. Just a little piece of tape.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Bosshossv8

ORIGINAL: dgfick

No. Its like buying a Ferrari and never driving it.
LOL.

Funny, comparing this plane to my 308 GTB, it is very similar. You drive it for a week, it goes out of tune...(fly your DA powered Yak ,and something breaks or send the motor in. ) Nope , I don't drive the Ferrari anymore, it gets borrowed out for Osceola , once a year.....after it gets tuned up. Funny. This a lot like a Ferrari....you hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:57 AM
jrjohn

LOL.

Didnt need two RX's. Just a little piece of tape.

I just went out in the garage in my stocking feet and checked my reciever, I have a piece of duct tape on mine.

It's always the little things that hurt us the most.

What did Scott say about selling his? I

John
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Well guys, I finally finished my EF Yak... I've had it since March, but kept putting together profiles & foamies and flying them instead of assembling the Yak...

It's got the standard list of EF Yak parts... DA-50R, hitec 5945s on the rons / elevators, 8611a on the rudder... I used everything that came in the box... The only thing I replaced was the pull-pull system... I used some Dubro parts and the SWB adjusters instead of the stock hardware... I used the carbon control horns / servo arms, phenolic arm on the rudder... JR 10 channel PCM on the Rx... I loaded it up with Nimh batteries... #2 2700s on the Rx and #1 1800 on the ign... Just over a pound of batteries... I had a Tru-turn alum spinner, so I stuck that on it too... Mesjlik 23 X 8 CF prop... 16oz tank instead of the 20oz that came with it... Much to my surprise, AUW is 16lbs 4oz... Elle es gordita... She's a little fat, but what the hell...

All in all, it was a very straightforward build... Everything fit, no foobar'd parts... This one was one of the ones that had a "twist" in the fuse / stab / posterior region... I found the twist back in March... I stuck the airframe together and hung it from ceiling in my garage... I guess 115 degrees for a couple months does wonders on drying out a fuse, cause when I pulled it down to start work on it 3 weeks ago, the twist was amazingly gone... Go figure...

All I can say is that this is the sweetest airplane I have ever gotten my hands on... Flies like a giant kite... Almost better than sex... Well, almost...

I didn't find any bad habbits other than the fact it doesn't want to land... You gotta bring it in real flat and then just about stall it to get it to land...

Did have some "issues" getting the DA50 to start, but that was all me... Had to learn the SOP on starting a DA 50... Too much fuel and it'll flood every time... Finally got it down though... ign on, choke on, flip till it pops... Then choke off, 4 clicks of throttle and starts on the 4th or 5th flip... Nothing like 40 - 50 flips at 97 degress and 100% humidity to suck the life out of you...

During the maiden we kept hearing a metalic sound on throttle-up, so I cut the first flight short... When I was doing the post-flight check, I found that the muffler bolts backed out and the muffler was just hanging in the cowl... These were the only bolts that I didn't locktite... doh!!! Lost one bolt, so I scrounged a new bolt from a buddy, made a new gasket and locktited the bolts the second time... Started it up, let the engine get hot, then tightened the bolts again... No problems after that...

Every manuever was like it was on rails... KE was clean with zero coupling... Harriers were rock solid... Blenders were mind boggling... Once inverted and spinning, a little throttle it would hang in the air spinning and maintain altitude... Amazing... Inside & outside loops were perfect and rolls were very axial with no aileron differential programmed in... On kill rates, the rolls are sooo fast that you can't count them... Hovering was like a puppy dog on a leash... Just stand her up and make minor corrections... Snaps were very clean and stop on a dime, except for positive snaps which over-rotated some... Elevators were good with a decent sink-rate with a little throttle... Little or no wing rock... Didn't try any waterfalls or pinwheels... I tried to make her snap-out several times just to know where to expect it and never was able to get her to drop a wing, no matter how hard I pulled... I did most of this up high as I didn't want to dork her on the first day, but I'll keep working her lower as my confidence increases...

As far as the dual battery packs, I was being anal about redundant power and I'd read too much about battery impedience at max C causing brown-outs on the Rx... Since I'm running PCM, I didn't want to chance a lock-out scenario and lose the plane because of it... I'll probably yank out one of the packs after a few flights... But to be honest, it flies sooo well just the way it is, I may leave it in...

And YES, I taped my xtal into my Rx... Lesson learned Wayne...

It's too bad that EF / Chris are having problems with their manufacturer for these airplanes... They are simply amazing... Hopefully he will get these issues straightened out so more people can enjoy this amazing airplane...

Here's a couple pictures...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10625.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	301266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11279.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	301267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35947.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	301268  
Old 07-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

I got to see Quique Sominzini fly his 102'' Yak this weekend. The construction looked very much like my 87'' EF Yak. So much that I think they are the same design.
Maybe the reason Chris can't get any planes is because his manufacturer in China is way to busy making QQ Yaks.

Quique told me that the 102'' yak would be available in september. At 26lbs with cans and smoke and a 3W106 ........ I want one.

By the way, Quique is a very nice person to talk to. He answered lots of questions for people, including me.

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.