Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Thanks for the search tip guys. That should help out alot. I understand your guys passion on the plane, Chris, hating copy cats etc... I have flown this plane many times, and love it, heck, thats why I searched and searched til I found one NIB to buy. I guess I view a forum about a specific plane a place where you talk about setups/info/product/problems/help/questions etc... Not, copyrights, this country, that country, and what other soapbox topics humans come up with? Maybe its just me.

I guess I will deal with it, especially now that I can search the thread. The whole thing with starting just a info thread on the plane has been done, YOU are reading it now. But we all see just how that turned out. The last thing I have time for is to start a new thread and somehow police it. I come here for info, sorry, and the rest of my free time is in the shop building the planes I want to fly. Right now its this one, so yeah, it would be interesting to open the thread and find cool info just on the plane. Not drama, bickering, politics and what ifs.

Matus you are right, and I am going to try to take you up on it. forums and public places on the net are just too easy for people to smash THEIR own ways or ideas on others when all that was needed was simple answers.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:39 AM
romanrc

In this discussion, maybe Chris self the kits, for example how Carden
Old 07-27-2005, 10:41 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

Thanks for the search tip guys. That should help out alot. I understand your guys passion on the plane, Chris, hating copy cats etc... I have flown this plane many times, and love it, heck, thats why I searched and searched til I found one NIB to buy. I guess I view a forum about a specific plane a place where you talk about setups/info/product/problems/help/questions etc... Not, copyrights, this country, that country, and what other soapbox topics humans come up with? Maybe its just me.

I guess I will deal with it, especially now that I can search the thread. The whole thing with starting just a info thread on the plane has been done, YOU are reading it now. But we all see just how that turned out. The last thing I have time for is to start a new thread and somehow police it. I come here for info, sorry, and the rest of my free time is in the shop building the planes I want to fly. Right now its this one, so yeah, it would be interesting to open the thread and find cool info just on the plane. Not drama, bickering, politics and what ifs.

Matus you are right, and I am going to try to take you up on it. forums and public places on the net are just too easy for people to smash THEIR own ways or ideas on others when all that was needed was simple answers.
I have to laugh (and try to follow this) because you just wrote and posted 3 large paragraphs that had nothing to do with the plane, setup ect..... It was like all the other posts your complaining about, YOUR OPINION. Problem is, yours is about what you feel doesn't belong on this thread, rather than the off topic being discussed. Thats makes your post a twice removed not worthy posting.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

I was thinking about putting a DA 150 in this bird! Think that's too much?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Jim Flannigan

Great Idea!

I was thinking that I have 3 DA-50's and could make a 3cyl 150 out of them. Do you think that would fit in the cowl?

BTW, This is the best flying plane! I have quit flying my Comp-arf Extra in favor of the EF Yak!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
tf2psycho
Banned

[>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]
Yaks rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:03 AM
going vert

ORIGINAL: Jim Flannigan

Great Idea!

I was thinking that I have 3 DA-50's and could make a 3cyl 150 out of them. Do you think that would fit in the cowl?

BTW, This is the best flying plane! I have quit flying my Comp-arf Extra in favor of the EF Yak!
Jim - come on now - there is NO way that 3cyl will fit in the cowl - if you were thinking radial. You might have a chance if you go inline!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:10 AM
jrjohn

Mine ballances on the back of the yellow strip, I was recently told it was tail heavy because it flying straight and level right side up or inverted the same. I'm picking it up with two finges at the ends of the wings. (Only one finger is mine) it might actually be a little further than that 1/4" or so. If your even close, just fly it, this things a kitten.

john.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

This was covered I thought... first the only "rejects" left are being sold on e-bay for around $250. These were the ones Chris actually turned down (along with a bunch of Extras too) because they were significantly inferior to the prototypes he approved.

The TOC1 planes are being manufactured by Sammy... the same manufacturer who made the rejects. They are NOT rejects but at least several of the designs are based on Chris' approved designs. (Yaks and Edges) They have since modified them to some degree so for all practical purposes they are "new designs" HOWEVER, this is still the manufacturer who stole $100,000 of Chris' money and never delievered the planes THEN sold them to KMP fo even more profit... unscrupulous. If nothing else he should have delivered the Yaks to Chris as is so he could destroy them.

They then backstabbed KMP (a canadian distributor) and went directly with Cheetah RC to form a new comapny TOC1. Cheetah RC WAS a dealer of KMP products. But Sammy thought it more prudent to sell under a new name directly in the U.S. The only real question is if the two "partners" in TOC1 are willing to deal this way, how will they support their customers? Who knows... maybe they turned over a new leaf....

Lastly, why do the designs look different? Chris made the basic designs and layout of the plane. The CAD designer then took these and developed a plane that matches both the desires of Chris and the manufacturing processes of the plant.

The new manufcaturer had a much more talented CAD operator and assembly staff. Thus the interlocking aspects of the design and jig based designs are different... but the characteristics of performnce aspects of the design (surface positioning, sizing, wieghts) are all the same.... and a direct result of Chris' personal R&D to develop this plane.

If you look at AeroTech's Yak it is different completely.... stab is not in alignment with wing for instance... and may fly very well but may not share the EF Yak design's awesome charateristics. The BME Yak is different too.

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

I'm curious about one thing. If the rejected Yaks being sold by other vendors are Chris's Yak, then how come it's built different. ie enginebox length, firewall ect from the EF yak we recieved?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
coche
My Feedback: (4)

Drew! you stoled my idea! I am installing 3 DA-50 inline!! I hope you dont take my idea and make money out if it!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
rmh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet money --
the successful designs --will ALWAYS be copied.
This is really old hat for off shore mfgr's and many US mfgrs.
Back when the USA wasn't --
The Chinese would copy the Japanese --the Japanese would copy the Chinese - in porcelain / etc..
They sold it to England -- and Dutch etc.. --who then copied it and sold it as Chinese--whatever .
The fact that someone gets stung --is regrettable - and there is no recourse in most situations.
So get on with it -
I got screwed by good old US guys - phoney checks /bad checks etc.. when I was in the kit/model business for 25 years
It is simply a risk we all take .Some get hit harder than others
The engines which are imported into the US , have always been a slippery business - Remember the COMO?
It was a mildly modified ST from Italy -built by the ST owners son at a different facility ..to get around the import agreement on ST
This goes on and on and on.
If you are very young, this may all be news to you - but believe it -it is an age old practice.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
jrjohn

I couldn't stand it anymore so I went to the TOC1 web-site, took a look at the 87" Yak. Covering is butt ugly, really ugly! especaially that silver one. the hardware kit sucks. No Carbon fiber, no wing bags. I'm guessing it would cost an additional 150 dollars, maybe more to bring it in line product wise with the EF Yak. I'll wait for another EF yak as my backup. BME might be an option too.

John
Old 07-27-2005, 11:57 AM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Hey guys, if I get those SWB arms, is there room to get in there to tighten the clamp down bolt on the arm on the elevators? Looks like 1.25" is the correct length, right?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 PM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: blue ice

Hey guys, if I get those SWB arms, is there room to get in there to tighten the clamp down bolt on the arm on the elevators? Looks like 1.25" is the correct length, right?
Don't know if you'll have room, but the elevator arms should be 1.5" and the ailerons 1.25"
Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 PM
coche

1.25" its the correct length for the ailerons, for the elevator you will need the 1.5"
Old 07-27-2005, 12:23 PM
coche

here you go! you will have to trim a little bit!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44931.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	302189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84631.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	302190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67018.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	302191  
Old 07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
blue ice

Thanks for the quick reply coche. Getting my ducks in a row. Can you believe I have both a NIB 68" and a NIB 87" EF Yak to get done here. 68" is for my girlfriend. Just have not been in the building mood with all this heat we been having in the Midwest.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:00 PM
jrjohn

Thanks for the quick reply coche. Getting my ducks in a row. Can you believe I have both a NIB 68" and a NIB 87" EF Yak to get done here. 68" is for my girlfriend. Just have not been in the building mood with all this heat we been having in the Midwest.
Blueice, if you get married make sure you have ownership of the yaks specified in a pre-nuptial agreement.

john
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
blue ice

jrjohn, I wish I could but she paid for the 68'' Yak, YS110, and all the Hitec digitals herself. Her plane has been almost completed for well over a month and she is starting to get a little impaitent with me but nothing I cant handle. I keep blaming her. We are going to Oshkosh this weekend and after we get back "MAYBE" we will try finishing it. As far as My Yak goes, it is a all white one so it may be sometime early this fall. I have a new WH LX here to get in the air next week(just need to balance). Yak needs a Fromeco setup, servo arms maybe, a spinner( any one have a used Tru Turn set up for a DA50 they want to sell) and a little more covering. These planes get pricey quick. I try to order all at once so I dont see but 1 huge bill.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Ricmussman

Tim-Indy

Thanks for the kind words about the !QUOT!Red Bull!QUOT! I am quite pleased with it. I have since the Burlington meet reset my low rates for IMAC. I definitely had way too much throws for IMAC. I am actually going to set-up a separate model memory for IMAC tonight. I am hoping to fly soon for it has been too hot to fly but now that the heat wave is gone I am going to get better prepared for the IMAC contest in Harrison next weekend.

My wife went nuts when I told her that my 87!QUOT! Yak was the smallest plane in the sportsman class and I needed a bigger plane to compete. [:@] Ohh well I am sure that it will work out, I am currently building one of the GP 33% Extras. I am going to set it up for IMAC. To be honest 33% is too small also, but that is all I can haul in my GMC Jimmy. If you think she went nuts when I told her my plane was too small, wait till she sees the trailer I want[:-]

Hope to see you in Harrison.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Stuff is in the works. Stay tuned.
Well thats good to hear..hopefully we'll hear something soon..In the meantime I suggest we all camp out on Waynes front lawn until the next shipment comes!! LOL
Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 PM
going vert

I'm looking at a Fuji 50 - water cooled for this beast! Anyone have experience with one of these?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:26 PM
bodywerks

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes you will have the room...just need to turn the servo once you get the arm on to see the screw.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 AM
straitnate14

ORIGINAL: going vert

I'm looking at a Fuji 50 - water cooled for this beast! Anyone have experience with one of these?

how about this drew it might need a little lead in the tail... http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/engines/rcs400.html [sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: straitnate14

how about this drew it might need a little lead in the tail... http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/engines/rcs400.html [sm=sunsmiley.gif]
From 50cc to 50%, maybe that is the upcoming "news"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.