Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 09-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Ok, what alternate landing gear are you guys putting on this bird once the factory gear starts to crap out???

I've got about 30 flights on mine... No hard landings, no damage... I was checking out my Yak last night when I noticed that the gear is starting to delaminate / crack where the gear angles downward where the mounting bolts go through the fuse... I've read this issue before on this thread, but can't find the page and the search function is of little help...

Old 09-03-2005, 03:25 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

What you can do is flex the gear so opens up the crack then wick some thin CA down in there.
After that, you can wrap that area with white electrical tape.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:10 PM
eb542

My landing gear is cracked at the same place, this is what I ordered:

Yak 54 87", 10" Tall LG 16-1381 $45.00 USD

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/..._List_Gear.htm

I looked around for a carbon fiber gear, no luck. Graph Tech will be making one soon.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

In case anyone is interested there is another one in the Marketplace for sale
Old 09-03-2005, 07:37 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

This plane is like fine wine. I've probably got about 50 flights or so on it this summer and every time I take it up, my flying is a bit better. Today, I taught myself how to do knife edge spins and it is amazing to watch when they lock in. Only other time I've seen someone do one was Kyle and his Funtana. This is only my second summer of flying but my 3Ding is getting really good. Helps to have full confidence in your plane!

I ended up getting a club member to machine a set of gear out of aluminum. I went through two sets of the fibergalss gear and then gave up on it.

Cheers,

John
Old 09-03-2005, 07:46 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, I broke my landing gear today too. However, my engine died during a pop up and went in from about 25 feet up. I let it dive straight for the ground and in the last 5 feet I parachuted it and it hit hard, but I am very lucky it only broke the gear and some of the engine box. I am very lucky, it will be a very easy fix. My problem was the ignition battery broke off its mount and then during the flight bounced all around till it got out of its connector tie and then came unconnected during that wall. Like I said, I am lucky to have so little damage, probably only a two hour fix and a new landing gear.
Maubid, first I hate to hear you are going to battle some medical challenges again. All my best, and may you get back soon. Secondly, there will always be another yak, hope your time to enjoy another one is soon.
Jeff W.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate to do it, but since I am no longer spending time at the field, my Yak is up for sale . I never even finished flight trimming[] Other than one 1 bounce landing, and one nose over in the tall stuff at the end of the field it has been landed very gently. It does have one small chip in the blue paint on the cowl, or it might be the yellow part, cant remember now [&o].
I've taken up hang gliding and for this I must now part with my Baby.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Jim Flannigan

wow, this thread has become a clearing house for both new and used EF yaks.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:39 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

i was just saying that most people are not selling them off . i love mine ,light up i did not mean it like you took it .
ORIGINAL: Jim Flannigan

Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM
vertical ts
My Feedback: (50)

Does anyone have a picture of an instrument panel they made for the yak?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: flyingcrazy

Man you are right I cant believe it it is unreal something like I have never seen !!!! 500 came into the USA I have seen maby 10 for sale ? 500-10=490 a real clearing house !!!!!!!!! WOW

I'm not quite sure why you took enough offense to Jim's post to write a nasty, sarcastic response, but I'm guessing he was subtling making the point that you aren't supposed to be advertising your planes for sale in the forums. That's what the marketplace is for. From a personal point of view, it doesn't bother me. I like seeing things in context, like planes for sale that I might be interested in due to the subject matter of this thread.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Jim Flannigan

My Point, FLYINGCRAZY, is that nothing is being discussed here lately other than people selling their Yak. It was meant to be humorous but obviously some people cannot accept that on this thread.

WOW!

Feel better now?

By the way, I have one and cannot imagine selling it.

hey Bill, Thanks for having my back.

Jim
Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

My Point, FLYINGCRAZY, is that nothing is being discussed here lately other than people selling their Yak.
Well,
My new Yak is finished and Its going in the air tomorrow.
The crystal is taped in this time!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Jim Flannigan

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

My Point, FLYINGCRAZY, is that nothing is being discussed here lately other than people selling their Yak.
Well,
My new Yak is finished and Its going in the air tomorrow.
The crystal is taped in this time!

Awesome!
Great to hear you are getting one back in the air again.
I taped my crystal in after reading about your unlucky flight with your first Yak.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:14 AM
flyingcrazy

Old 09-07-2005, 03:02 AM
flyingcrazy

I reread what i wrote i see how you take it the way you did it was not meant in anger . just state a fact of how good a airplane the yak is . sorry you took it wrong .

My Point, FLYINGCRAZY, is that nothing is being discussed here lately other than people selling their Yak. It was meant to be humorous but obviously some people cannot accept that on this thread.

WOW!

Feel better now?

By the way, I have one and cannot imagine selling it.

hey Bill, Thanks for having my back.

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Jim Flannigan

ORIGINAL: flyingcrazy

I reread what i wrote i see how you take it the way you did it was not meant in anger . just state a fact of how good a airplane the yak is . sorry you took it wrong .

No problems,

You are correct that it is a good flying airplane. I have many large gas airplanes and this is my favorite everyday airplane.

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 12:56 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Anybody got a spare set of gear they want to sell. Broke mine after a flameout and would like to stick with the stock gear so please no links to TNT or otherwise. Thanks in advance and email me at [email protected] if you have a set you want to part with.
Jeff W.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

This plane is like fine wine. I've probably got about 50 flights or so on it this summer and every time I take it up, my flying is a bit better. Today, I taught myself how to do knife edge spins and it is amazing to watch when they lock in. Only other time I've seen someone do one was Kyle and his Funtana. This is only my second summer of flying but my 3Ding is getting really good. Helps to have full confidence in your plane!
I'd have to agree with you John, however it's interesting to me that you mentioned the "knife-edge spin" comment. That's one of my favorit manuevers to do, and my Vision does them better than any plane I've seen. The odd thing is I can't get my Yak to do one to save my soul. It just won't lock into one no matter what combination of rates and stick movements I've tried! Very frustrating since I now know that it can do one!

Tom
Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
flat spin

Just wait until i post a Video of Nathan Farrel Jones from this years UK Freestyle Championships, unbelievable. Can't sem to send it from my e-mail but i'll have alink in a couple of days.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:19 PM
SydDythers

Neo,

PM if you want to know my stick movements to get into it. It is pretty tricky and I can do it about 1 out of every 3 or 4 tries. It is all in the timing but looks amazing when locked in. In fact, check out this video: [link]http://media.putfile.com/Crazy-Sunday-SM36[/link] About 3/4 of the way through you'll see me do 3 things: a knife edge spin, parachute to harrier, and a wall about 3 feet off the deck (almost touched the rudder). The video is mostly of my friend's 40% stuff. My yak is camouflaged...I recovered it in a Red Bull scheme. There is a 42% Aerotech Edge covered in a similar scheme so don't confuse 'em

Jeff W.

I have an extra set of gear you can have for free if you pay for shipping. Only catch is that there is a bit of delamination on the left joint that should be repairable with a bit of work/reinforcement. I gave up on the stock gear and had a club member make me some aluminum.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
NE0

Awesome video... boy you really pushed that rudder awful close to the grass on your wall! [8D] You got bigger kahoneys than I do!

Knife-edge spin was way cool. Not quite as axial on the wing tube as what I'm getting with my Vision but very very nice. You are definitely entering the manuever way different than I am used to doing it. I go into mine on an upline and you are doing it on a downline. Maybe I'll take you up on your offer for stick movements!

Tom
Old 09-07-2005, 03:08 PM
SydDythers

Neo,

Yes you are right...it wasn't perfectly axial. I have done perfect ones but that is the only one caught on video!

John
Old 09-07-2005, 03:52 PM
747drvr

Why PM ? Post them here ! I'm trying to do the same thing !

Marc
Old 09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
NE0

Ah Marc, it's too late. He already PM'd me the "secret stick moves" that you long to have. Now it's our little secret and it's gonna cost you to get it. LOL

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.