Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 09-09-2005, 07:13 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah Johnson

Hey guys,,upon a little closer inspection it seems that my stab tube is possibly off by at most 1/8" low on the left side..My first instinct here is to just forget about it but I wanted to hear from you guys that have some flight time to get your suggestions..
Yeah, I would forget about it. Mine is about 1/4" off and flies great. I have a buddy here who has one dead on straight out of the box and it flies the exact same as mine.
Jeff W.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Its no big deal to straighten it out. I have been flying mine all summer and it is still parallel with the wing tube! Just tweak it in the direction in needs to go, then reshrink the covering, easy!
If you don't care to do it, I'm sure it will be ok. I just wanted mine straight.

Dave
Old 09-09-2005, 08:08 AM
rmh

The difference in yawing force it can do at that slight angle is simply not possible to measure
Just like a rudder leaning to one side - not worth the effort to change it
But - if the stab was off on incidence -that much -it would easily show up .
The problem with "squaring" the model is that you really need to know which dimensions ( angles) are really critical.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Dave763

Its no big deal to straighten it out. I have been flying mine all summer and it is still parallel with the wing tube! Just tweak it in the direction in needs to go, then reshrink the covering, easy!
If you don't care to do it, I'm sure it will be ok. I just wanted mine straight.

Dave
Yea I may try that.. but like Dick said I think getting the right incidence is more important..If I feel ambitious I may try and tweak it though.. Its prolly close enough for me not to notice.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16548.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	321763  
Old 09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

I do the KE spin with my yak out of blenders mostly because it is just another way to show diversity as the plane descends. But it is easy to do, I just get the plane in a ke and cut the power till it starts to descend then come in with aileron and down elevator on 3D rates and just bump the throttle off idle. The required aileron may be same or opposite depending on the plane. I cannot say how much aileron, elevator or throttle to put in but you will need to finess this some and play with it to see what your plane wants. Start high as these KE spins cause excessive altitude loss quickly. Now, the most important part, how to get out of it once you are in it. You can let the controls go neutral and it will come out, but you might not like how it does it. I just cross my rudder to the opposite side I was holding and it will go into an inverted flat spin and once the altitude loss stops I add throttle and begin releasing the inputs so it flies out of it. Play with this and you will get it.
Jeff
I think you hit on one critical factor in getting this plane to KE spin... throttle position. Obviously you are using a low throttle setting, while I have been trying mine at high to full. When I do this manuever with my Vision (or profiles), I always use full throttle and it works great. My Vision whips around on the wing tube at a blinding speed. But, I think that the additional authority the control surfaces of the Yak have over the Vision, is causing the excessive throttle to push the plane out of the manuever?

This may also be my problem with doing successive downline tumbles. I can make my Vision tumble "in place" with full high down elevator by pulsing 0-100% throttle throughout the revolutions. But, the Yak barely does one tumble then kicks out of it. It's likely that all that throttle going over a more authoritative tail (and shorter tail moment) is kicking it out?

From looking at the problems I'm having with these two specific manuevers (that I don't have problems with on my Vision), it becomes apparent that it relates to any manuever that require axial rotation on the wing tube. Seems like I need to back off the goose a little when I try those types of manuevers?

Tom
Old 09-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Josey Wales

I know the manual choke is the easiest/lightest option but is anyone using a servo actuated choke? I was trying to figure a way to get both servos behind the firewall but havent come up with anything..If I cant use a servo then Ill have to spring for a Smart-Fly kill
Old 09-09-2005, 08:54 PM
JWilliams

Neo, you are correct in that I too use full or nearly full throttle on my profiles. The 87" yak does not seem to want much throttle, I have tried 1/4 throttle but I just like a lower setting. Just my taste and you could use a higher throttle setting, but not full.
Jeff
Old 09-10-2005, 08:10 AM
rodders

Just a quick one,
Des the DA 50 mind if you place the fuel tank (on top of) over the wing tube, can it suck the fuel from back there?
Rodders
Old 09-10-2005, 09:25 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: rodders

Just a quick one,
Des the DA 50 mind if you place the fuel tank (on top of) over the wing tube, can it suck the fuel from back there?
Rodders
Yes. There's no issue with a pumper carb on a gasser, it doesn't matter where you mount the tank, it will draw fuel fine.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:54 AM
rodders

Thanks bpryor,
Sorted, on top of the wing tube it is then.
Rodders
Old 09-10-2005, 08:51 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

flew today, used the techniques learned on the thread to perform the KE spin. Did two of them. full throttle at first and then pull it back to 3/4 Awsome!

Knife edge stall to the left, then full right rudder full right ail and full down ele and the above throttle

John
Old 09-11-2005, 02:04 PM
JWilliams

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

flew today, used the techniques learned on the thread to perform the KE spin. Did two of them. full throttle at first and then pull it back to 3/4 Awsome!

Knife edge stall to the left, then full right rudder full right ail and full down ele and the above throttle

John
Glad to hear you got it going. Play with your throttle and the inputs and you can come up with an amazing variety in your KE spin as to how you enter, exit it and how crazy or lazy you make it.
Jeff W.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:33 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

I know the manual choke is the easiest/lightest option but is anyone using a servo actuated choke? I was trying to figure a way to get both servos behind the firewall but havent come up with anything..If I cant use a servo then Ill have to spring for a Smart-Fly kill
I would use your prop and spinner choice as a deciding factor. Why? Because you will need a little nose weight on this plane, anyway...might as well be useful. I used a CF spinner and wood prop, and have my 4800li-ion hanging 2" out in front of the firewall and I still needed to add 2 oz. of dead weight to get the CG where I want it.
So, if you plan on using a wood prop and CF spinner, I would recommend the choke servo setup. If you are using a CF prop and/or aluminum spinner, I'd go with smart-fly.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Josey Wales

I plan on using a Tru-Turn 4" spinner and a wood prop..did anyone figure out a good way to mount both servos behind the firewall?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:34 AM
coche
My Feedback: (4)

Joe, Maudib did mount the servos behind the firewall, he mount them on the sides of the fuse, where the fuel tank is, one servo on each side (he did the choke servo also) he just made a simple plywood servo mount and made a hole on the foam, if you serch this thread you will find it!
good luck searching!! LOL

must be some kind easy, we all did our buildings at the same time, this thread was at the begining and the end just bla, bla, bla!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Josey Wales

Thanks Jose!! Im up to page 185 and still goin!![X(]

Ill keep and eye out for that along the way..!!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:34 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

..did anyone figure out a good way to mount both servos behind the firewall?
Joe,

Have you seen Dick Hanson's setup. You can at least see servos from the bottom of his engine box. I don't know if he's posted a picture of the top. Maybe you could ask him for one, though I think it's pretty evident the way he did it from this picture. Here's the link to it: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2960325
Old 09-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Josey Wales

Thanks Bill ! I musta missed that page

Thats what I originally had in mind but obviously you have to open up one of the lightening holes and I wasnt sure if by doing that I would weaken anything..but from the looks of the pic I should be good! The only other way I thought of was to mount it on one of the sides but I like Dick's setup better...Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Josey Wales

Hey guys..I was watching the quick-fix video and the guy used a piece of cardboard to check the tube against the fuse..Is that supposed to be 90 degrees because my stab tube isnt that way now..
Old 09-14-2005, 06:08 PM
jrjohn

Hey guys..I was watching the quick-fix video and the guy used a piece of cardboard to check the tube against the fuse..Is that supposed to be 90 degrees because my stab tube isnt that way now..
don't worry about it being 90 deg. to the fus. It should be paralell to the wing and perpendicular to the rudder stab

john
Old 09-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Josey Wales

thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Mike Parsons

Can anyone confirm for me that the Output shaft on a DA-50 is 10mm? My outrunner shaft is 8mm. In order to utilize a Bolly CF prop and Pete Spinner, I am going to have to have an adapter made to step it down.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Hey Mike

My 50cc has a spinner on it right now and don't want to pull it off. If need be, I will.

I do have a 100cc sitting on a shelf and checked it's shaft and it is 10mm. I'm pretty sure the 50cc has the same shaft size.

Might want to give Dave a call.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:54 AM
jrjohn

CALL da AND ASK
Old 09-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

CALL da AND ASK
That is FAR TOO EASY .

Thanks Doug. Ill call DA to double check. Figured I would post to see if anyone knew an immediate answer as I am on all day conference calls.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.