Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 10-15-2005, 09:50 PM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Wayne, Do you think the DA50 will have the power like I have now in Denver, Co. ? I just don't want to under power it up here.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

The DA here (at close to 800') is a rocket on a 15.5 pound plane.
You definately will lose some performance in Denver but I think that with the DA- there is tons to spare if the plane stays light. Under 16 pounds.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:58 AM
torqmeister

I agree with Wayne, I think you'll be happier with a 50cc engine on this bird.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:25 AM
RVBlack

How much more will the DA50 weigh with a K&S tuned pipe on it compared to the pitts muffler? Will the extra power make up for the extra weight and then some?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:29 AM
wgeffon

The added power of the pipe is noticeable but I am not sure it will completely overcome the extra weight at your elevation.

Put your 60 in it and fly it. See what you think and then you can decide if going to the lighter 50 is something you want to do.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

The added power of the pipe is noticeable but I am not sure it will completely overcome the extra weight at your elevation.
So why are people putting the pipe in? Just noise?

MAN... I'm KICKING myself. I was on the list for one if these from the very beginning. After about 6 months of waiting I pulled myself off and got a 35%. Now have another 35% NIB and another DA-100 and I am thinking it is far too much... the planes are too big and too expensive and not a whole lot more fun. So, I have decided to scale back. I am wanting to sell off my second NIB 35% (Wildhare 35% Extra 330SX) and my second NIB DA-100 and get one of the 50cc Yaks to play with... low and behold I will be on another waiting list for another 6 months. What a friggen bummer. I can't find another 50cc I want.

Frustrated.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Here are the RPM figures from yesterday...

DA-50 with tuned pipe. 4 gallons thru it still using lawnboy ashless...

Mejlick 23x8 prop
6700 RPM

ORIGINAL: RVBlack

How much more will the DA50 weigh with a K&S tuned pipe on it compared to the pitts muffler? Will the extra power make up for the extra weight and then some?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:48 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

Here are the RPM figures from yesterday...

DA-50 with tuned pipe. 4 gallons thru it still using lawnboy ashless...

Mejlick 23x8 prop
6700 RPM
Hi TailTouch,

First, I'm not posting this to put down your numbers, only to maybe point out that you may need to look at your setup for something that isn't quite right....and I'm only posting the HP and thrust numbers below for comparison purposes and not absolutes.

Your numbers are actually below what I'd expect on a DA-50 with the stock Pitts-style muffler with that prop. What pipe are you using? I would expect the revs with that prop with a tuned pipe to be at least in the 72-7300 RPM range (5.5HP - 34 lbs thrust). A couple of DAs I've tached are both turning 22X8 Mejzlik's at 7600+ with stock mufflers(5.2HP - 31.8lbs thrust). I've seen many people post similar numbers to these online too. You can search this thread alone to support these numbers.

I'll tell you one thing, it's refreshing to see someone post numbers I'd consider to be on the low side, rather than some of the numbers I see that seem a bit optimistic.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:17 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: RVBlack

How much more will the DA50 weigh with a K&S tuned pipe on it compared to the pitts muffler?
That all depends on how you do it. A weight range would be 12-20 oz. A KS 60cc canister weighs 8 oz, and the header if made with KS stainless will weigh in the 4 oz range(w/coupler), plus whatever mounting system you use. Mine weighs less than an oz.....so assuming you keep the weight in the lower end of the range, you're looking at around 4-5 oz of additional weight. A properly tuned KS can should give you 300-400 RPM gain, which woud be 2-4 lbs of thrust....so obviously you'll more than overcome the weight with the additional thrust, but the question is a personal choice on the increased wing loading.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:51 AM
TailTouch

Hi Bill.
Thanks for the heads-up. I will check the setup again. I was playing with the throttle ATV and the prop started ripping so I stopped. The fuel I used was sitting around for a month or so. I will try with fresh fuel.

I am using the KS-1060 tuned pipe.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:54 AM
TailTouch

NEED HELP !!!

Hi guys.
Need your help with a strange rudder problem.

I had crashed my Yak a couple of weeks ago and destroyed the fuse. Instead of repairing, I got a new fuse. In the meantime, I sent my JR-8611 back for the servo top upgrade.

After finishing the plane, my rudder has started acting really weird.

I give full left rudder, the rudder doesn't come back to the exact center. It's a little bit off to the left.

Now I give right rudder, the rudder comes back to the exact center.

Again left rudder, same problem

It is off substantially. I don't think it's safe to fly the plane with the rudder off to the left so much.

I rigged up a test servo arm using a long carbon fiber rod taped to a servo arm. This gives me a more accurate reading.

The centering problem does not appear in this case. Why is it when I hook up the rudder, the rudder does not center.

Could it be a geometry problem with the linkage set up ?

It's the same setup that I used last time, nothing has changed...

Old 10-16-2005, 12:22 PM
bpryor

I am using the KS-1060 tuned pipe.
That is an excellent tuned pipe for this engine, and knowing that, what I said above definitely applies. Did you setup your header length as suggested by KS? Tuned pipes are critical as to header length, and more imporantly than that, you need to be sure you're getting your engine into the pipe's powerband, which is typically very narrow. KS's turned canisters have a much wider useful powerband, but don't give near the boost. That could explain the low RPM you're getting. I'm guessing you need to be turning the engine in the high 7's to take advantage of that pipe. I'd recommend you try a 22X8 Mejzlik, and I'll bet you'll be turning in the upper 7's. I tuned pipe is really not the best thing to be running if you want to run bigger props on this engine, unless of course it's a tuned pipe designed to benefit most at lower RPM ranges, which is not typical for tuned pipes.

was playing with the throttle ATV and the prop started ripping so I stopped.
BTW, if you're not getting full throttle, that certainly could be the culprit with the low RPM. All props rip to some extent, though some more than others. You may want to switch to a Menz S instead of the Mejzlik if the ripping is bothering you, but remember they are higher-load props and you'll need to run about 1 size lower than a Mejlik to get the same RPM numbers. Even with a Menz I'd go with a 22X8 with your pipe.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

How much throw is everyone getting on their ailerons? The most I can get is 30 degrees on 3d rates with 140% ATV..I can get 40 but Id have to move further out on the servo arm..Thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 02:45 PM
morecashthansense

Hi All,

At Last the DA saga is nearing an end...
New carb arrived at last and have set to factory settings the motor started very easily and predictably, also the needles/ rpm/ pickup issues that I had before are controllable and the motor responds correctly to the needle settings which i believe was the core of my frustrations before, I still have a very slight 'burble' on pickup but a quick throttle curve has hidden it and its now so low in the rpm that it wont come into play when trying to fly, also the motor is a lot smoother and less vibration is being passed back into the airframe. The ailerons only wobble a bit on tickover now!

With the new carb Im getting 7250rpm running a 23*8 mezlik I have suddenly got around 500 rpm more!! which i guess to be a quite a step up in power available than before. Oh and Im running on a Zimmerman cannister.

So now I'm looking forward to flying this model when time allows but it all looks very promising, once I have managed to secure the cowl (psp binders have eaten approx an 1/2!QUOT! hole in the cowl) and worked out a way to secure the cannister I tried the mod in previous pages but the can has melted the tygon tube with which it was being held! will have to look for a different method.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:48 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

The most I can get is 30 degrees on 3d rates with 140% ATV..I can get 40 but Id have to move further out on the servo arm..Thanks
All the talk of servo arms, I forgot now what you decided, I seem to remember you saying 1 inch from the center of the arm, The manual recommends 1.25" you might try that.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Josey Wales

BB..Yea I goofed and ordered 1.5" arms instead of 1.25" arms for the ailerons..I was just trying to see what kinda throws everyone is using...At 1" from the output shaft I can only get 30 deg..I can no doubt get more than 30deg if I go to the next hole on the arm..shoot I could prolly get 50deg if I go all the way to the end![X(]
Old 10-16-2005, 03:58 PM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Now I don't want to hurt any feelings here but.......

I was doing a little research tonight. Found out the Yak 54 is only an "aerobatic trainer" The Yak 55 on the other hand is the only plane the Russians use for all out competition.

john
Now I don't profess to be an expert on full scale Yaks, But I'd be willing to bet the 54 is a trainer because it has 2 seats, not necessarily because it's more docile. I wouldn't say it's "only" a trainer. Even the fact that the canopy is different (and maybe even some other aspects of it) don't mean much to a model anyway, Most model designers change stuff anyway to make the model behave the way they want, even though it still resembles the full scale design. A perfect example would be a J-3 CUB. if you've ever flown a real one with 2 people (65Hp, not 85) it is an absolute pig, But how many models have you seen flying inverted, doing flat spins, climbing vertically to a stall turn. To the laymen, just visiting a flying field for the first time, they would have no idea that a CUB is an underpowered slow stable trainer. In other words, even if you are correct in the fact that the 54 is "only" a trainer in full scale, the model as most of us know, is more capable than most anything else we've ever flown, regardless of how many seats it has or it's full scale heritage. Many people much prefer the two place Edge for looks alone, with the larger canopy, so that's what model designers build, even though it may fly better than the all out competition single seat version.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:01 PM
BBriBro

BB..Yea I goofed and ordered 1.5" arms instead of 1.25" arms for the ailerons..
I realize that, I remember you saying you ordered the wrong arms, but since you didn't go too short, you can still use them at 1.25" what made you try 1" ?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

but since you didn't go too short, you can still use them at 1.25" what made you try 1" ?
I wanted to keep the ratio at 1:1 like Wayne said..
Old 10-16-2005, 06:10 PM
wgeffon

Ahhhhhh..................

Got to fly my Yak today for the first time in about a month.
I am sure I never said it before but, I love this plane.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Josey Wales

Im jealous!!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:19 PM
wgeffon

Joe, get out here and you can fly mine.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Josey Wales

Man I wish I could but that stupid thing is gettin in my way..whats it called...my job!!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
wgeffon

Man I wish I could but that stupid thing is gettin in my way..whats it called...my job!!

You gotta stop that stuff.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:11 PM
RVBlack

You figured out the wing loading on that Yak a page ago can you tell me how you did it? RV

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.