Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:45 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

you are correct

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Ultracote (oracover) I'm pretty sure.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:56 AM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

I have a question about the rudder setup. are you guys using the supplied hardware for the rudder pull pull, or are you buying the SWB setup?

John
Pardon my ignorance guys but what does SWB stand for. I realize it is a company but can someone spell it out for me and give me a link to their site?

Thanx!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

And so are 3 line systems. I've use both. They both have their benefits...

A with a 2 line system you risk the fuel dot leaking air which can cause the engine to run lean or quit.

But it is lighter.

I use 3 line tanks with no 2nd clunk and cna get as much fuel out as you can with a 2... it's setup like this: (Editing Wayne's image)

The purple "ends" in the tank are short pieces of tygon fuel line witht he tip cut at a sharp angle... this prevents (especially the vent line) from sealing against the tank. But as you can see the fill line get's angled down to the tank floor. To get the very most fuel out, you can lift the tail of the plane slightly up to have the remaining bit of fuel run to the front.

With either method it's a good idea to transport the plane with the vent line plugged. Keeps gas odor down But remember to unplug it next time at the field, or you will get a really sore arm.

As for the looping of the vent line... there are a couple different ideas out there. I don't do it. When the engine is running it is pulling fuel.. even at idle. as fuel is drawn from the tank air must come in.

You've taken a soda straw, dipped it in liquid and put your finger across the top sealing the top? And you can lift the straw out of the liquid but the liquid stays in the straw? That's because the water cannot leave without air taking it's place. When you remove your finger from the top, air rushes in and gravity draws the fuel out.

When an engine is running it not only is plugging the straw, but also sucking through it.

My buddy asked how then does the engine get air into the tank wehen inverted and the vent line submerged? It's the water bong principal. Air MUST come in to replace the space the fuel took up... and will draw air bubbles in thru the vent line... just like a water bong.

I only had limited experience with this concept as a teen... but I can vouch for it's scientific validity...

So which tank plumbing method is better?

Neither... they are just two ways to skin a cat. I do like the fact that a leaking fuel dot won't cause my engine to quit, and that's why I have leaned toward the 3 line tank... but I've used the 2 line without incident.

ORIGINAL: Mokken

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

if a gasser with a walbro carb has the two line system , no fuel will get past the "float valve" during fueling...it needs suction from the motor to allow fuel to pass. Right?

You are correct... 2 Line systems are very very very very common.

I like to defuel before transporting and for storage and I've found that unless you run a second clunk (whis is not nessesary in the first place) then you never empty all the fuel out of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42352.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	215898  
Old 01-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Maudib

http://www.swbmfg.com
Old 01-16-2005, 09:11 AM
ScaleRules

http://www.swbmfg.com
Thanx!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:23 AM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

I like to defuel before transporting and for storage and I've found that unless you run a second clunk (whis is not nessesary in the first place) then you never empty all the fuel out of the tank.
This is not true, if you are using a fuel dot in the line to the carb, (2 line system) then you can defuel it to the same level that the engine would burn it down to. We all seem to agree that you won't "flood" it when re-fueling with this method, due to the fact that these carbs actually have a needle and a seat much like a "real" float type carb, for this same reason, you won't be "sucking air" past that needle and seat when you de-fuel.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Maudib

I think that's what Mokken was saying BBriBro... that he prefered the 2 line system because he could defuel.

I do find that with a 2 line system and a felt clunk that you can get almost every drop out as the felt soaks the remaining gas up.

My point is that if the tank is setup with 3 lines as my illustration shows, you do not have to have 2 clunks to get all the fuel out.

There will be little difference in how much fuel is left between to the two methods.

I still prefer the 3 line system, and with a felt clunk, eliminating the need for another filter before the carb as the felt clunk IS the filter.

A 2 line system with felt clunk still requires a filter before the carb as you might push dirrt in front of the clunk.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:31 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry guys,

I should have angled the pic so noone could see my fuel line that went behind the tank..

We have snow and ice on the ground now so no flying it today. Going to fly Foamies though!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 10:37 AM
wgeffon

I only had limited experience with this concept as a teen... but I can vouch for it's scientific validity...
Yeah, I heard friends talking about that once...
Old 01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

And so are 3 line systems. I've use both. They both have their benefits...

A with a 2 line system you risk the fuel dot leaking air which can cause the engine to run lean or quit.

But it is lighter.

I use 3 line tanks with no 2nd clunk and cna get as much fuel out as you can with a 2... it's setup like this: (Editing Wayne's image)

The purple "ends" in the tank are short pieces of tygon fuel line witht he tip cut at a sharp angle... this prevents (especially the vent line) from sealing against the tank. But as you can see the fill line get's angled down to the tank floor. To get the very most fuel out, you can lift the tail of the plane slightly up to have the remaining bit of fuel run to the front.

With either method it's a good idea to transport the plane with the vent line plugged. Keeps gas odor down But remember to unplug it next time at the field, or you will get a really sore arm.

As for the looping of the vent line... there are a couple different ideas out there. I don't do it. When the engine is running it is pulling fuel.. even at idle. as fuel is drawn from the tank air must come in.

You've taken a soda straw, dipped it in liquid and put your finger across the top sealing the top? And you can lift the straw out of the liquid but the liquid stays in the straw? That's because the water cannot leave without air taking it's place. When you remove your finger from the top, air rushes in and gravity draws the fuel out.

When an engine is running it not only is plugging the straw, but also sucking through it.

My buddy asked how then does the engine get air into the tank wehen inverted and the vent line submerged? It's the water bong principal. Air MUST come in to replace the space the fuel took up... and will draw air bubbles in thru the vent line... just like a water bong.

So which tank plumbing method is better?

Neither... they are just two ways to skin a cat. I do like the fact that a leaking fuel dot won't cause my engine to quit, and that's why I have leaned toward the 3 line tank... but I've used the 2 line without incident.

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

if a gasser with a walbro carb has the two line system , no fuel will get past the "float valve" during fueling...it needs suction from the motor to allow fuel to pass. Right?

You are correct... 2 Line systems are very very very very common.

This hobby is not rocket science. But treat it that way if you must, to each his own..
Old 01-16-2005, 11:20 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone fly yet? What was all up weight? I want to build one with a YS 160 DZ....what do you think?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:26 AM
wgeffon

I just weighed mine on two seperate scales to be sure.

15lbs 3oz
and
15lbs 9oz

Call it 15lbs 6oz
Old 01-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

so, only about a half pound diff between pipe and stock muff , eh? Hmmmmmmmm.....
Old 01-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Mike Parsons

It still amazes me that a plane this size weighs that little. I cant wait to get mine!!!

-mike
ORIGINAL: wgeffon

15lbs 3oz
and
15lbs 9oz

Call it 15lbs 6oz
Old 01-16-2005, 12:17 PM
coche

Wayne,, change the spinner backplate and it will get you at 15 Lbs!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:29 PM
ScaleRules

ORIGINAL: coche

Wayne,, change the spinner backplate and it will get you at 15 Lbs!
What 15lbs 6 oz aint lite enough for a DA 50?[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Common these pupies put out 25+ lbs of thrust. You can't honestly tell me 6 oz is gonna amke a noticable difference![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Maudib

Way too cool Wayne... Simply awesome....

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

15lbs 3oz
and
15lbs 9oz

Call it 15lbs 6oz
Old 01-16-2005, 12:42 PM
coche

For me Lighter its better!

4-6 oz will not make the diference, I just think that if you can build the plane lighter with lighter equipment it will fly better on some manuvers, like harriers, elevators, etc...

I think Wayne has the lightest set up, and the spinner back plate its the only thing heavy he has....

my goal its to fly my Yak at 15 lbs, and for what I can see, mine will be at 15 lbs [8D]

Jose
Old 01-16-2005, 01:33 PM
wgeffon

Jose,

Keep in mind that mine is balance right on the tube with this set up. A lightened backplate or a CF spinner will change things slightly aft. For me, I dont like flying tail heavy planes.

Under 15.5 is awesome for a plane this size is awesome.
These weights are exactly what Chris said they'd be. Hmm.....where are all the skeptics now?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:42 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

right here -
do any of you guys have one flying yet?
(I am always skeptical till I see results -so-- no offence intended. I am skeptical of my own stuff too)
Old 01-16-2005, 01:48 PM
wgeffon

Dick,

I was referring to the people that said the weights wouldnt be as advertised.
If your skepitcal about the flying, hang tight. As soon as the snow is off the grass mine will be flying. We will video it for everyone.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Mudsurfer1234

when is there gonna be some more stuff on the yak build site? i check everyday anxiously waiting for some new stuff.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:55 PM
wgeffon

Videos will be up sometime today on the site.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:08 PM
JDM
My Feedback: (8)

What is the "yak build"web site?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Maudib

http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/

Tell that Drew boy to get a move on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.