Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

That's an extra 260 right?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

My friend flys a Pitts-12 that he makes...a smaller one...99.00 bucks lazer kitted...out of stock right now.

I flew it a few times and fell head over heels in love with it. Simply the best E-powered bipe I have ever seen, it always attracts a crowd when he flies it. It's the wingloading and awesome design of the interlocking parts. Simply amazing.

Believe me, if you have never seen one of these, it will impress you. If he uses that same kind of design-rule on ANY of EF's planes...they will set new standards. Period.

I have been looking for an unbuilt kit of this Pitts for some time now. I just want to build it and cover it in clear , so you can admire the engineering. Awesome.

I will post pics of my buddies Aerolock Pitts-12. I love round noses, and on a bipe .....even better.

Please SUPERSIZE this Biplane.

I am going to need tranquilizers until my 87" from Bodyworks shows up. Although the Bears whipping the pants off Green Bay this weekend wil make me forget about it for a while...

Old 12-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: Maudib

That's an extra 260 right?
Edge 540
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59414.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	363727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52399.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	363728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94307.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	363729  
Old 12-02-2005, 03:38 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

My friend flys a Pitts-12 that he makes...a smaller one...99.00 bucks lazer kitted...out of stock right now.

I flew it a few times and fell head over heels in love with it. Simply the best E-powered bipe I have ever seen, it always attracts a crowd when he flies it. It's the wingloading and awesome design of the interlocking parts. Simply amazing.

Believe me, if you have never seen one of these, it will impress you. If he uses that same kind of design-rule on ANY of EF's planes...they will set new standards. Period.

I have been looking for an unbuilt kit of this Pitts for some time now. I just want to build it and cover it in clear , so you can admire the engineering. Awesome.

I will post pics of my buddies Aerolock Pitts-12. I love round noses, and on a bipe .....even better.

Please SUPERSIZE this Biplane.

I am going to need tranquilizers until my 87" from Bodyworks shows up. Although the Bears whipping the pants off Green Bay this weekend wil make me forget about it for a while...

I realize the packers don't have much of a team left, but just for the heck of it, lets play the game first before you get to giddy.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:07 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

I forgot about the 1/5 scale pitts m12. That was all the rage on rcg.

BTW, the last I heard Mike had a few of the M12's kits ready again. http://www.aerolockmodels.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=19 Yep, instock for $100.00!
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM
rodders

Hello,
Has anyone in the U.k smashed their Yak, but kept the canopy in one peice? I have dropped mine and put a nasty tear in it. I assume that spares are no longer available and its always worth asking.
Rodders
Old 12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Mike Parsons

Rodders,
I would drop Chris an email. I do believe he has spare parts.

-Mike
Old 12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Bosshossv8

Mike's planes are great, just talked to him. I got a few of the 1/8 kits coming...more than a few of us here , after flying Doc's , wanted one. Simply the best park flyer aerobatic plane ever.

I love the 1/5 scale....gotta read that thread.

I want a 50cc version. I know the 1/5 by Mike H. was E-power..
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Is anyone using Wingote bags for their wings? I was looking at the 44" double bag..My stock bags had an unfortunate meeting with a hot soldering gun[:@]
Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Bosshossv8

make sure you get the right bags.

I have a fancy cordura bag that came with a QQ Yak I bought. And they were suposed to handle up to 34% Extra wings...but the 87 wings don;t fit.....too wide.

My 87" from Bodyworks should be here in a few hours..........prybar in hand ....
Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

sure hope everything turns out. Email me or pm me when you get it to let me know how it went. I work nights and sleep days, so I won't be answering any phones...
Old 12-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Bosshossv8

Sorry I called befor eI read the post.

I got it , all is well. Canopy has a crack, but nothing a little creative Thick CA repair can;t fix.

The Wood framed crate was awesome. I am a happy camper.

Servos going in......now if only the weather would get better. Yeah, right...Chicago in December..

The TNT landing gear is fantastic. A lot better than I was expecting. cool.

OK, now on to the next EF plane.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Bosshossv8

I have a question about the canopy. I know Chris has none of these. I was wondering what it would take to have one made by a lexan manu.

You need a good one to copy, I have it. I also have two cracked ones , now. What are the chances of finding someone to mold and pop a few out?? I am sure I am not the only one wanting one or two of these.

These is also the KMP solution. A KMP Yak canopy will fit ...it needs 3/4 inch added to the front...but all curves and even the turtle deck lines up perfect.

But...it weighs a helluva lot more....I don;t know exact figures...I don;t have a kitchen scale. The KMP clear plastic is a little more flexible...not as brittle as the lexan. The wood frame os not as lightly built ,either. It would be a shame to put a POS like this on the EF, but if that is the only option it is there.

I would rather have the lexan. Anyone know of a lexan shop that can make to order??
Old 12-07-2005, 08:20 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

It is practically impossible to set the engine ahead far enough.
On the full scale -they shoved it as far as possible.
cowl interferrence is a big deal . Look at the last of the big radial engined high speed four engined stuff .-
On the models - if you look at the on QuiQue use at the TOC last time-it was also shoved way ahead .

For many users tho - the differences won't mean a thing
I was so perplexed as I thought I would need to change the form of engine stand offs I installed in a radial cowled war bird..

Thanks this makes my day and when any body asks why the "extended hub,?" I will inform them this is of aeronautical significance .........
Old 12-08-2005, 12:14 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

I have a question about the canopy. I know Chris has none of these. I was wondering what it would take to have one made by a lexan manu.

You need a good one to copy, I have it. I also have two cracked ones , now. What are the chances of finding someone to mold and pop a few out?? I am sure I am not the only one wanting one or two of these.

These is also the KMP solution. A KMP Yak canopy will fit ...it needs 3/4 inch added to the front...but all curves and even the turtle deck lines up perfect.

But...it weighs a helluva lot more....I don;t know exact figures...I don;t have a kitchen scale. The KMP clear plastic is a little more flexible...not as brittle as the lexan. The wood frame os not as lightly built ,either. It would be a shame to put a POS like this on the EF, but if that is the only option it is there.

I would rather have the lexan. Anyone know of a lexan shop that can make to order??
You want a vacu-form shop with a large enough unit to make the canopy. There are several out here that could do it but a one time deal would be expensive. The expense is in the mold which is a hard cast of the inside of the canopy. It would be easy to make by pouring some Dynocast into the existing one while it is supported enough to not deform from the weight of the material. The last I checked it would be about $90 worth of material to make the mold and about $35 to cast it. If you were making a lot of them the price would drop dramatically but for a one off it aint cheap.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a more direct answer to your question...
http://www.propmastersinc.com/
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, here is a dumb question. Does anyone know what type of wood the fuse and formers in the EF Yak are built from? Is it poplar (lite-ply), birch (aircraft grade) or obechi? I'm scratchbuilding a 50CC yak for myself and actually have an EF Yak that is on its last legs. I like the wood it uses and want to utilize it in my own design. If I had to guess, I would say it is lite-ply but as far as I know it is not manufactured in the thickness (1/16" and 3/32") utilized by the EF Yak. Thanks!

John
Old 12-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Maudib

It is liteply, only it's in metric sizes available overseas. Thus the slightly thinner sizes...
Old 12-11-2005, 08:32 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Bah humbug!

Thanks for the info Maudib. Well, considering I've utilized imperial measurements, rather than metric, in my design, it looks like I'm stuck with good ol' birch ply. Anyone know what the relative weights are per square foot/yard between birch and light ply?

Thanks,

John
Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Bosshossv8

Man, this tread is a ghost town , now.

At least it is here for those of us to search for info on the build of the plane.

The scratch builders forum has to have sources for the wood you speak of.

Anyone fly one of these off snow skis yet??? Any pictures...?? I would love ot fly mine off snow. I flew today, but only a .40 size E-plane on skis.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Maudib

I think you are better off in stepping up in size to liteply... there is a source for full 4x8 sheets but I've lost my link (Michigan I think) It's called Italian Poplar in other industries. (It will be stamped liteply though on the sheets) I think you'd still be lighter than birch...

Do a serach for Italian Poplar and see what it brings up... godd luck

ORIGINAL: SydDythers

Bah humbug!

Thanks for the info Maudib. Well, considering I've utilized imperial measurements, rather than metric, in my design, it looks like I'm stuck with good ol' birch ply. Anyone know what the relative weights are per square foot/yard between birch and light ply?

Thanks,

John
Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Mike Hall
My Feedback: (1)

Where can I find 2-3mm Poplar plywood here in the states?

Birch plywood is 40-41 lbs per cubic ft.
poplar plywood is 30lbs per cubic ft.

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Maudib

Just do a google search: itlian poplar plywood (also valled bending board)

I found:

http://www.sticktrade.com/members/584a.htm
http://www.pdusa.com/products/italian.htm
http://www.forestplywood.com/special....html#PoplarSP (look attheir "Ultralite Italian polar)

There... sppon fed...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Mike Hall
My Feedback: (1)

LOL, I have already talked to all those companies and there no help other than the 3mm plywood. If I could just find some 2mm plywood I would be set.

Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: Mike Hall

LOL, I have already talked to all those companies and there no help other than the 3mm plywood. If I could just find some 2mm plywood I would be set.

Mike
Here you go Mike. Only 1mm to go
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73804.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	368975  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.