Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 01-01-2006, 10:28 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: Fun2Fly3D

turn around 3 times to the right and throw a pinch of salt over your right shoulder with your right hand....that should to the trick...I heard this is and old carnival trick to rid yourself of bad luck!!!!!

Good Luck

V

P,S if you have any trouble just let go of the sticks wait 1 second while taking a deep breath and start over......the plane is so good it will fly itself.

Don't use table salt! a buddy of mine did that right after he got divorced and his miserable old lady came back to him! Use canning salt, or sea salt for best results

John
Old 01-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I went straight at it, ....stone cold fear nowhere to be found.

Aside from taxiing problems on the bumpy deerholed field (wanted to bounce up and nose over--never prop struck). it only needed 2 clicks up elevator...no aileron or rudder correction needed. I was 3D'ing it before I trimmed the elevator. Take was vertical after intial level liftoff,....rolling and flatspinning the first 30 seconds it was in the air.

Just a wonderful plane ....slow speed is almost mesmerizing. I did struggle with the idle down for landing. I knew going in that 1900rpm was needed for landing...my flying idel was at 2250 and having to hit the trim tab correctly in approach was awkward.

I have a idle down mixed into the 9303 now, thanks to friend;s help..

10-15mph winds and didn't notice it most of the time. Except in hover with the wings facing the wind. Hover at 1\3 throttle.

Basicly the same report as everyone else's. I will compare every other aircraft I fly ,from now on, with this plane.

Tumbles on this plane are better than a profile. WOW.

Most of my other planes are or will be for sale.

And if this one fly's so much better than the 68", which is a legend in it's own right, then the 107" will be the second coming. I want 2 .
Old 01-01-2006, 11:25 PM
jrjohn

Welcome to the club!

john
Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

I have a idle down mixed into the 9303 now, thanks to friend;s help..
Mike,

You should be mixing an Idle UP on that flight mode.
Set the Manual Trim detent mechanically for your landing setting.

And,
Are we ready to post that video yet?

Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Bosshossv8

Yeah Wayne. I posted it on the 68" thread for those guys, I talked about it there most.

But here it is.....too. The Extreme Flight Yak-54 68" crashing WOT on the maiden day of your 87" on a beautiful day in Jan 05'. Look for the 87 in the background.....

Finally full circle for me , man. Watching that 68 drill in now, still makes me wince. I loved that plane. But, I have flown Drew's for a whole season, and beat the daylights out it, getting ready for today.

Time for a beer.

[link=http://www.mintcoinage.com/video/68crash.wmv]68 inch Yak-54 EF drilling in ...[/link]
Old 01-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Congrats!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Fun2Fly3D
My Feedback: (9)

WOW! The sound of a plane at impact is a sound that I know we all never forget!! But that is Brutal!

Glad to hear of your great success this 01/01/06....this is truely a happy new year for you!!

Congrats

V

Old 01-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Bosshossv8

I wanted to post a little post-flight data from the maiden flights.

I have 4800mah Relions and Fromeco Reg on the surfaces.....used 1189mah on three 15 minute flights and bunch of runtime on the ground.

2400 mah Relion/Fromeco on ignition. ONLY 189mah used for the above flights and ground runtime.......very efficient...eh?

Best battery setup ever. Drew turned me on to it, back about 250 pages.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 AM
jrjohn

Old 01-02-2006, 12:25 PM
matus777

" Drew turned me on to it, back about 250 pages. "

Who's Drew?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Drew is a Yak GOD!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Bosshossv8

man ,don;t make his head swell.

Drew is Going Vert...the starter of this thread and keeper of the EF Yak-54 build website.

I am gong to put smoke on this bird, it's begging for it, but first, I am going to get "one with the machine" , then add the weight.

I just can;t get over how it flips on the CG like magic. I must have done 20 of them, before my buddies yelled,..."is that all you are going do??"/

I never had a plane, a profile, but not "plane", do those flips like that. Not even the 68" did them like that. Too cool.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:55 PM
jrjohn

yes it's a way nice plane, wish I could buy a second one, just in case

John
Old 01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Fun2Fly3D

I use the sullivan Skywriter smoke pump! Standard DA smoke Exhaust! Smokes great. Mounted the pump and the battery (Duralite 960?) on the engine box and moved the Duralite 4800 behind the wing tube(thats where it ended up) No signigficant difference in performance. The sullivan smoke pump mixes great with my 9C. Started by copying someones posted settings and made adjustments from there!

Its awsome!

GOOD Luck!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:51 PM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

Nice Cockpit!

How did you paint the inside plywood without getting any on the canopy? Who's instruments are those?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:31 PM
ScaleRules

Hi guys,

I finaly got started on my 87" after selling the 68" this past fall.

I opted for one of the all whites ones so came up with my own trim scheme. Here are some shots of the top and bottom of the stab.

I have been toying with the idea of mounting the HS5955 rudder servo right back in the tail and go with a direct titanium controll rod for a link. I just spent the last 1.5 hours going through the 250+ pages of this thread trying to see if anyone else had done this on theirs. Has it been done and I missed it? Any suggestions on this? I know I have to stay away from the elevators but I think I can sqeeze a servo almost back at the rear tail post.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12767.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	379894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61838.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	379895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49656.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	379896  
Old 01-02-2006, 08:57 PM
wgeffon

Jim,

That looks awesome!

The only problem I see with mounting that servo back there is the CG.
What motor you going to use?
If its the DA, you might wind up tail heavy.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Mike,

You should be mixing an Idle UP on that flight mode.
Set the Manual Trim detent mechanically for your landing setting.

I posted that last night and got a few PM's today asking to go into more detail about what I meant.
I'll post that and my radio set up since that was asked also. Its here already in this thread but its buried....

I hate flipping switches while flying so I set my flight modes up for two basic types of flying. 3D and IMAC.
My rates and expos are set to where I dont have to flip a switch to do a snap and then flip it again to do a roll. I have enough throw to do what I need to do during a sequence and run enough expo to keep it all smooth. Generally 30 to 40% on everything for IMAC and maybe 40-45% for 3D.
My landing rates and takeoff rates are my IMAC rates.
Expo's are always the same between landing, taking off and IMAC. You dont want different expos if you can help it. Reason being, if you flip a switch while holding stick pressure you will get a different amount of throw for the same given pressure.
The plane will jump or move when you dont want it to.

With the 10X I run 4 flight modes.

FM-0 -- Low idle (Set at the trim detent) and IMAC rates
FM-1 -- High idle (Set with a THR-THR Mix and assigned to FM-1) and IMAC rates
FM-2 -- 3D rates and Low Idle. Rason for the Low idle here is so I can go to full rates on landing rollout and not have the idle Jump back up.
If I want a higher idle for doing 3D I will just move the trim up a little on the trim lever. (I forget that most of the time though...)
FM-3 -- IMAC rates and a higher rudder rate for Rollers and Hammerheads. The idle is low here but for those maneuvers you generally are not at idle.

I will also set up elevator to rudder and aileron to rudder mixes and assign them to all flight modes. People refer to those mixes as Knife Edge mixes but in reality they are needed anytime the rudder is deflected. The best thing to do is set those mixes up on a Multi Point mix so you can have a non linear reaction for different throttle settings. It takes a lof of time and trim flights to set up but its worth the effort.
If your radio isnt capable of that use the linear mix. Its better than nothing.

I generally run a elevator to throttle mix for maybe 1 or 2% down elevator with idle throttle and assign that to FM-1
This gives you very straight down lines without the pitch out tendancies as the plane speeds up.

Mechanically set your idle for the lowest RPM you want for landing. Have the center detent on the throttle trim lever be that position. That way its easy to find if you move it out of the detent. No guessing.
Set the travel on the throttle so the motor is cut off when you pull the trim all the way down.
Now set your your throttle to throttle mix to adjust UP from the detent point for the higher idle. Assign that to the IMAC rate.
Nothing worse than having your motor die during a contest while in a spin because you idle was set to low.

Other than killing my motor with full off trim, I hardly ever move the throttle trim out of the detent.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Fun2Fly3D

What are your concerns with the Pull Pull? Seems like lots of work to put a servo back there for what you may gain!

V
Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 AM
ScaleRules

What are your concerns with the Pull Pull? Seems like lots of work to put a servo back there for what you may gain!

V
Always more positive control with a pushrod/direct then pull/pull...titanium doesn't stretch!

Wayne, Yes I have a DA50R that I will be using. I take it everyone so far has stuck with pull/pull?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Fun2Fly3D

My pull pull has performed flawlesly. I suppose if you dont mind the extra work. I did just go look at my new plane thats on my bench after I read your post. (still need to untwist the stab tube) There seems to be plenty of room behind the access door!

V
Old 01-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

ScaleTules is correct... I spoke with a couple TOC guys and they both agree that a pull-pull connected rudder loses some authority as opposed to direct linkage. In fact. One mabufacturer told me that you could drop down in torque a little if need be as it was more effectively utilized.

And you can see it... push your pull pull rudder 1/2" either way and watch it go.... a direct linkage has more force behind it.

With that said... a good, tight pull-pull setup is perfectly fine. And, as in the case of the EF Yak, almost a necessity. I'm afraid adding 2 oz to the tail will put you near "unbalanceable land". That's adding the necessity for about 6 oz in the nose... six you aint got.

My pull pull has performed flawlesly. I suppose if you dont mind the extra work. I did just go look at my new plane thats on my bench after I read your post. (still need to untwist the stab tube) There seems to be plenty of room behind the access door!

V
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Bosshossv8

Wayne,....I would love to have you dump your EF Yak program into my 9303 next time we meet.

But, I have a question....4 flight modes ....Which combination of switches are you using??

And do you use ANY Spoiler or Flap modes at all for anything?? I gotta say, I love the short field landing that this bird can do. The 23 inch prop slows it down, and you can set it down in front of you. I love it.

That said....take my KMP Reject...2 lbs heavier , same equipment ....it take ALL the field to set it down. Big difference. WOW. er......the RejYak is now stripped and awaiting it;s fate.

There is guy here in Chicago selling one of these with the DA for cheap. I already have a spare , so I am not jumping on it.....unless it sits around .

He is local and not an RCU member I think. . If you are interested PM me.

ScaleRules....use the P-P ...you won't regret it.....use the SWB arm and a 8611a....cross the wires with the coated stuff. It is flawless...and mine is very taught.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Wayne,....I would love to have you dump your EF Yak program into my 9303 next time we meet.
We can certainly do that Mike but, I have never found that to be a great idea. My subtrims may not equal what yours do and for it to work your linkages have to match mine exactly. Very hard to do.

But, I have a question....4 flight modes ....Which combination of switches are you using??
The 10X has 5 flight modes. I use the Aileron DR switch for switching between modes FM-0, 1, 2. To activate the 4th (FM-3) I use the MIX switch. To get to the 4th mode the Ail DR switch has to be in the FM-1 (IMAC) position.

And do you use ANY Spoiler or Flap modes at all for anything??
Never. Not needed on an aerobatic plane.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
ScaleRules

Boss,

Didn't really think the weight would be an issue but it is a though. I am using a DA50R with a Bisson Pitts muffler.

I think to keep things simple I stay with the P-P, direct drive was just a thought! I am using a Hitec HS5955TG and will probably get the SWB arm at Toledo. I like the idea of the crossed cables, again I think this gives better control over parallel. Anyone else moved there throttle servo further back? Has interference been an issue with some?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.