Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:16 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Its really hard to say what the specific problem could be..
This plane is very easy to harrier in most cases.

I dont mean to sound derogatory but can I ask how proficient you guys are with 3D?
There is that "sweet spot" for each different plane and knowing how to find out how to get there and more importantly, how to keep it there is 90% of the battle.

Like I said, I am not trying to belittle anyone. I am just asking.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:22 PM
coche

Hi to all! hope you all had great holidays!
any way, can some one tell me where to find similar pull pull cable as the stock one?

my pull pull cable ripped on a hard rudder touch! I think it might be my foult as it ripped just where the crimp was! I might put to much presure on the crimp when installing it!

this plane its amaising! I thought that been so light it will be more fragile and nothing happened to the rudder and nothing to the fuse! the only problem was the pull pull cable!

I have a sullivan pull pull cable here but its not as flexible as the stock one! I like better the stock one!! any ideas??
Old 01-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Fun2Fly3D
My Feedback: (9)

Wayne,

I am not offended at all. Thank you for the response. I am looking for a solution to improve my flying skills. I would say that based on the maneuvers that I can do and how well I can do them I should be able to do this maneuver without too much trouble. I can and do perform it with other aircraft, however, I would not consider myself and expert or put myself in a category to compete in any 3d event. Do get me wrong about the aircraft either.... THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST AIRCRAFT I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE TO FLY!

I was just wondering about my setup OR maybe i am just not good enough yet! This could also be true.

Thanks for the input,

V
Old 01-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Fun2Fly3D

CORRECTION

DONT get me wrong about the aircraft either.... THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST AIRCRAFT I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE TO FLY!

V
Old 01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
wgeffon

Jose,

Call Scott Bendix at www.swbmfg.com He has what you need for cable.

Fun2fly,

I am glad you like the Yak. I feel the same way about it.
Let me ask you this...
When your trying to harrier it do you have the elev stick pegged against the mechanical stop on the TX and is it being held there?
At that point, your throttle will control whether your climbing, descending or level. The elev should not move.

Heres that video Mike and Craig were talking about. There are times in it where you can see the plane in a Harrier or elevator. Look at the ailerons. They wont be moving. Also, look at the elevator. Its pegged.
http://videos.pitsbros.com/waynegetsdown.wmv

Any chance you guys can get video of the plane doing what your describing? It would be lot easier to troubleshoot it that way.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I watch that EVERYTIME I go fly my Yak.. Just to tell brain that it can be done.

This plane can make a moderate flyer look better than he is. In the hands of an expert, it does things that seem unreal. I was up close and personal when Wayne did the rolling harrier manuever as close or closer to the ground than the video. And it seemed like it was in slow motion ....... unreal.

Makes me want to practice hard everytime I watch it.

Can't wait to see video of smoke on this bird. I am going to install it on mine, I won;t notice the extra weight, yet. Are you using a Sullivan??. I was lookng at the 3W pumps.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:04 PM
coche

I just bought a 3W somke pump for my yak! and 2, 16oz dubro tanks! they fit where the 20oz stock tank goes! side by side!

I have previus experience with the 3W smoke pump and I did like it very much! no need for an extra battery! not much weight gain!

[8D]
Old 01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
matus777

"Look at the ailerons. They wont be moving."

Could be the player in this discussion...especially with soft TX springs...maybe first lock the ail's and then ease all the way back on the elev????? Any wing rock i have witnessed has been associated with the Ail's being moved.....even slightly...PIO's?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I havent had mine for long but Wayne is 100% right about the throttle..at least with this plane..once you peg back the elevator just hold it and adjust the throttle..I also found that sometimes a bit of opposite rudder/aileron will lock it in..

Since were trading secrets here I cant seem to get the right control inputs to get a good flat spin..upright or inverted..Not sure if I need less elevator or more rudder..any help??
Old 01-18-2006, 05:44 PM
wgeffon

Mattus has a good point.. Make sure your not moving them any.

On some planes I have flown that did rock, you could get it to stop (For a little while) by keeping ahead of the rocking with your aileron input. If the right wing was down and you saw it an added left ail, your too late and might be making it worse. You almost had to be hitting right aileron as the right wing was dropping to stay ahead of it.
Lou, Kinda like correcting dutch roll in a full size.

Flat spins...
They work better with a slightly aft CG. Drew's plane does this better than mine because of that.
Get it into the spin on high rates, make sure its auto-rotating by itself and then slowlf add opposite aileron. That should pick the inside wing up.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Mattus has a good point.. Make sure your not moving them any.

On some planes I have flown that did rock, you could get it to stop (For a little while) by keeping ahead of the rocking with your aileron input. If the right wing was down and you saw it an added left ail, your too late and might be making it worse. You almost had to be hitting right aileron as the right wing was dropping to stay ahead of it.
Lou, Kinda like correcting dutch roll in a full size.
Thats exactly what I have to do on my Wild Hare Edge..You have to be 1 step ahead of it..

ORIGINAL: wgeffon
Flat spins...
They work better with a slightly aft CG. Drew's plane does this better than mine because of that.
Get it into the spin on high rates, make sure its auto-rotating by itself and then slowlf add opposite aileron. That should pick the inside wing up.
Ok Ill try it that way..I have 70deg of elevator so I have no problems there..I noticed that it will spin around 1 time but then the nose wont stay level..it wants to go up..my CG is where Drew's is..actually might even be a bit farther back
Old 01-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Then you've got too much elevator... If you nose up in either an upright or inverted flat spin, back off the elevator a little and add a little power... 70 deg of elevator is a lot when flat spinning...

Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Bosshossv8

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

Then you've got too much elevator... If you nose up in either an upright or unverted flat spin, back off the elevator a little and add a little power... 70 deg of elevator is a lot when flat spinning...

THat is exactly what was causing a porpousing efect on my flat spns until I figured it out. A little less elevator , and a little more power. Opposite aileron only needed on spin up.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Fun2Fly3D

BOSS,

I have 2 16oz tanks..1 fuel, 1 smoke, side by side and I use the Sullivan skywriter...I love it! I think you use a JR but I setup my futaba 9c with info from a posting(increases pump output with increase in throttle) on RCU and tweaked it from there! I use a duralite 960mah 7.4v straight into the smoke pump. works great. I ended up putting my 4000mah flight back behind the wing tube after installing the smoke pump and battery up front. Both tanks are against the front of the wing tube. Trying to find a good smoke mix without spending too much but the MDW works very well. My problem is I love to turn on the smoke so I burn a lot of smoke fluid.

I have read several post on smoke fluid mixtures but most leave a oily mess! Any suggestions?

Wayne,

I watched your video...very nice....I have no problem (stability) when dong an ELEVATOR and have no problem transitioning into a hover but when I hold the elevator pinned while trying to harrier I get TOO deep into the maneuvers and end up hovering (now that i wrote this i must be using too much throttle). I think maybe I must just need to work on the throttle aspect. I flew my new EF87 yesterday (about 1 lb lighter w/o smoke) and it seemed to be much less sensitive to the wing walking.

Thanks for the help,

V
Old 01-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Josey Wales

Then you've got too much elevator... If you nose up in either an upright or unverted flat spin, back off the elevator a little and add a little power... 70 deg of elevator is a lot when flat spinning...

Ok Ill try it
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 PM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the harriers:

While my Yak was still in existence (R.I.P. []) pegging the elevator just transitioned me into a hover. Especially if your CG is back, you're going to need to play with the elevator to keep it at the right AOA. Don't worry about how much elevator you're inputing just concentrate on keeping the same angle. Also: don't rule out never having to use aileron. In ANY plane I've flown, from the EF Yak to a 40% carden, I've never come accross one that would harrier perfectly with no aileron input. If you need it, use it. If you don't, don't. Don't get caught up in what people tell you gets the best results with their plane.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Hey guys is the gallery new at EF website?

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/XFRC-gallery.htm

There are so many cool variations/graphics and all I though I would see more than just two of them posted. Might be a good tribute to the 87" Yak, make em bring em back sooner.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:41 AM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rdb127

Hey guys is the gallery new at EF website?

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/XFRC-gallery.htm

There are so many cool variations/graphics and all I though I would see more than just two of them posted. Might be a good tribute to the 87" Yak, make em bring em back sooner.
Funny you should mention this.... I got one of the all white ones and I am doing my own scheme. The colours ar Monokote Metalic Plum, Metalic Platinum and Metalic Teal and yes those diamonds are all individually cut pieces - 1" and 2" squares! Here is what I have so far.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74028.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	394373   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45370.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	394374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48609.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	394375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15822.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	394376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp84100.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	394377  
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
matus777

Looks good.....whose ldg gear did you use?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
ScaleRules

ORIGINAL: matus777

Looks good.....whose ldg gear did you use?
TNT!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Graphtec also makes CF gear for the EF Yak...
Old 01-24-2006, 05:50 PM
ScaleRules

Graphtec also makes CF gear for the EF Yak...
I haven't had too much luck with some of the gear from them so I opted for the aluminium gear. I don't 3D so a couple a more ounces won't bug me... I want the gear to stand up!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Bosshossv8

I have TNT gear on the EF Yak 87 I got from Bodywerks. He shaped into an airfoil by sanding or grinding, polishing. It is AWESOME. And just a few ounces heavier than stock. But a heck of a lot more durable. I fly at Forest Preserve field that deer dig holes in. This gear is the ticket for me.

Scale Rules, nice job on the covering, I love the teal checkered bottom.

This plane is the best plane I have ever flown. period. It truly is a Shockflyer with an airfoiled wing. There is no way I could be happy flying a heavier wing loaded (WH anything,Extra, Edge, etc) aerobat now.

I still fly a REJECT YAK, but only for practice on windy days, just for the added weight.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:05 PM
torqmeister

This plane absolutely spoils you to any of the 17 lb offerings out there. Chris really did come up with the " magic " formula. I am looking forward to the BME Extreme 55cc in one of these birds.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

This plane is the best plane I have ever flown. period. It truly is a Shockflyer with an airfoiled wing. There is no way I could be happy flying a heavier wing loaded (WH anything,Extra, Edge, etc) aerobat now.
I agree..I have a WH Edge that flies pretty good but its not in the same league as the Yak..And thats not a knock on WH planes at all.

In fact, when Chris comes out with his 50cc plane Ill prolly pull all the gear out of my Edge and just keep the airframe as a spare...The only maneuver I cant get it to do good yet is a flat spin..I just have to mess with the throws to get it right.

Since everyone is showing off their checkerboard's I figure Id throw mine in as well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78912.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	394718  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.