Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Edge,

A wise man once told me something about arguing with people on the internet.......
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Edge

I believe that wise individual would be the Innovator. A known and respected individual on many forums and in the RC community. I believe his quote was" If you stand argue with an Idiot, there will be two idiots arguing." I need to heed to his wisdom. I am now 2 levels dumber for just reading and replying to Boss.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Ok, who forgot their meds.............................?

Here is a question pertinent to the thread. Is there any word on EF going back into production on anyting considered in the GS category?

BTW I am still on the list for two of these birds and would happily retire my EF- wanna be airframe for the good equipment (even if it flys great at 16 flat dry)

Gone Waiting
Old 10-11-2006, 10:43 AM
xtdsm

talking about EF-wanna be, I am flying one now and oh my god, it's simply perfect (I can't imagine how the real thing would be) but like the other people said, this plane was meant for calm days, in windy days, she would be all over the place and it would be a challenge to land her from the first try. oh more thing, mine is tail heavy enough to climb on a 45 degree when inverted, but that's it, it's still very easy to land and it does not rock wings at all also it never ballooned on me or anything. Man I wish I started this hobby when the real EF Yak was available.

Are you guys still flying yours?

Old 10-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Latest news on EF's site states Chris is heading back to China for 2 weeks come the 16th. "Lots of new planes to test fly and prepare for production".

Indeed there ARE GS planes in the works... and two particularly that are coming that will make all EF afficianodos squeel with joy. I was lucky to view some prototype footage and was as impressed if not more than with any previously released footage from EF's prior designs. From the 68", 87" and 100cc YAK videos I was dumbfounded... and this early prototype was just as impressive... woo hoo...

What are these designs? Well there are rumors, and rumors of rumors... but on the site Chris says he'll give a "full report" when he returns.

I suspect this means that he's in the final stages of approval of the final production prototypes and barring any unforseen changes... we might just get our announcements around the 1st of November. Allowing ample time for "monetary adjustments" to our hidden rc cookie jar funds.

Is Christmas a possibility? Well... we'll see... but with a couple weeks of overseeing the production... who knows... Maybe we'll need to trim a few rows of limbs from the bottom of that tree to make room for some BIG boxes...

But one thing for sure... there ARE new planes coming... forthwith... and they should prove to be as outstanding as the releases thus far and perhaps even better due to the incomparable CAD talents of Mike Hall now on board with Chris.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Mike Parsons

I think the saying is "Dont ever argue with a nut...someone might walk up and not know which one is crazy...."
ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Edge,

A wise man once told me something about arguing with people on the internet.......
Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

no, i think it goes like this. "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
Old 10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Latest news on EF's site states Chris is heading back to China for 2 weeks come the 16th. "Lots of new planes to test fly and prepare for production".

Indeed there ARE GS planes in the works... and two particularly that are coming that will make all EF afficianodos squeel with joy. I was lucky to view some prototype footage and was as impressed if not more than with any previously released footage from EF's prior designs. From the 68", 87" and 100cc YAK videos I was dumbfounded... and this early prototype was just as impressive... woo hoo...

What are these designs? Well there are rumors, and rumors of rumors... but on the site Chris says he'll give a "full report" when he returns.

I suspect this means that he's in the final stages of approval of the final production prototypes and barring any unforseen changes... we might just get our announcements around the 1st of November. Allowing ample time for "monetary adjustments" to our hidden rc cookie jar funds.

Is Christmas a possibility? Well... we'll see... but with a couple weeks of overseeing the production... who knows... Maybe we'll need to trim a few rows of limbs from the bottom of that tree to make room for some BIG boxes...

But one thing for sure... there ARE new planes coming... forthwith... and they should prove to be as outstanding as the releases thus far and perhaps even better due to the incomparable CAD talents of Mike Hall now on board with Chris.

we might just get our announcements around the 1st of November.

Hey, that's my birthday....how bout a collection for a B.D. plane for me , no wait, how about a pot on who can pick the correct airframe for the 50 or 100 cc class

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 10-11-2006, 04:26 PM
T Erickson

" if you wanna save an ounce, go to the TBM site and buy a set of them new fancy titanium axles. 21 bucks, no worries. I'll have a set on this winters project. Has anybody tried them?"

Jr John,
just ordered a set yesterday... i've been using the smaller size PSP axles for some time now..excellent product IMHO. T.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: T Erickson

" if you wanna save an ounce, go to the TBM site and buy a set of them new fancy titanium axles. 21 bucks, no worries. I'll have a set on this winters project. Has anybody tried them?"

Jr John,
just ordered a set yesterday... i've been using the smaller size PSP axles for some time now..excellent product IMHO. T.
PSP makes excellent products, The cowl binders are awsome. Thanks for the feedback, I'll order a pair of axles

John
Old 10-12-2006, 11:43 AM
T Erickson

Well, snuck in two flights last night, Da50 ran like crap, sputtering, rich on high end, wouldn't lean out w/ screw, but smoothed out on uplines or inverted. Plumbing issues, I guess. Silly me, flew her anyways. Felt like an old pair of soft shoes.....to windy to trim out, but will need some work. Then tried some HAKE... WOW! Major wood, and we're not talkin' balsa! I think this plane's gonna be alright. T.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:19 PM
T Erickson

I'm currently up to page 30, will take a while to read through this whole thing. Did anyone post a list of needed/desirable modifications? and if so... around what post? The canopy certainly needs a little help. Thanks, T.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Maudib

They recently posted my review I did a good bit back... contains a hatch latch mod, and a variety of other things...

They call it an e-conversion review... but I just did a sidebar of the e-conversion setup I did.

It's here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=595

Otherwise you'll find just a whole lotta good stuff threaded throughout this thread...

Mostly the plane is awesome stock setup... very little things to watch for... some fuses had a slight twist (stabtueb and wingtube weren't perfectly parallel) and there's several EZ fixes if they are not...

There's another hatch mod instead of the latch but I loved the latch.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:39 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Yep, the hatch latch was nice on mine too till the metal part broke. Yes, I said the metal part that slides into the back of the canopy former broke in two and my hatch went flying off and busted. Anybody got one from a crashed one that is good?
Jeff Williams
Old 10-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Maudib

The main latch rod is drilled and tapped for the release pin... sounds like yours failed at that hole maybe? Bummer about the canopy... hope you get lined up on one...

I think I read somewhere where a guy was using the KMP/reject canopy over a framed up replacement he built... might not be that hard of a job if you can't locate one...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 AM
JWilliams

My canopy flew off this summer and I am in need of one. My buddy just got a vacuum machine to make canopies, how many of you would need one if he did a run to help. He has no idea on price but I know him well enough to say he will be fair.
Jeff
Old 10-16-2006, 12:32 PM
T Erickson

Jeff,
Count me in for one. T.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Flyjets

Hatch Mod

I had the Graupner Red Hatch Mod on my Yak for a number of Flights worked real nice.

But then I noticed it starting to have some problems and warmed up the Epoxy to remove it. Upon inspection I found the spring was just about to pop out and decided to remove this setup.

Presently I am using 1.5 inch 440 Phillips in the rear and 2 inch ones up front to secure the Canopy.

This EF Yak is to good a machine to have something happen to her she has turned out to be one of my all time Favorites.

Ian
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Maudib

Looks like we need a good quality latch manufacturered... maybe with a milled aluminum housing. Hmmmm.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

JW, it is funny you would mention the vacuum machine for making canopies. I was just talking to a local airplane builder , GB Aircraft , about canopies. He said he witnessed a canopy being made with a vacuum , and a sealed box with the right size cut out.

He was going to try it out......might this be the same method?? He went into great detail about temperature and thickness and such......real interesting.

I am definitely interested in 2 canopies. At least. I have been flying with a cracked one all summer, and one of my originals was cracked from the get-go when these birds came in. Chris was having such a brutal time with the fuses, that I didn't complain about mine being cracked.

2 for sure.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
JWilliams

Hopefully others will weigh in to see if there might be enough for him to do this for us.
Jeff
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a canopy if someone make's a replacement...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

I need one too.

Regards,

Steve K
Old 10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
JWilliams

Well, that is about 6 guys interested, I will send him my canopy and have him get started. Give him some time as he is having back surgery soon and will be laid up for some time. I am guessing it may be January before he gets on it but I will post as soon as he can do it.
Jeff
Old 10-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Ok great JW, let us know when he needs funds. Awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.