Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Old 01-29-2005, 11:15 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

Bravo jrjohn, you got the quoting figured out !!

ya, now I'm the bomb. I can do a lot of damage quickly!

John
Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Heritage rider
I felt bad that Torqued-up already bought the scale this scale mag was critisizing but he didn't pay too much I bought that same scale too, it was so cheap, I guess it's not really a huge waste of money even if it turns out bad, but I should have listened to my own advice, that generally "you get what you pay for"

Take a look at the end of the review, you'll find they list the price as about the same as the other scales.
The fact that there is a place selling them for over 50% off the listed price has to make the other manufacturers unhappy. It could very well be the reason this comparison was written. You have to wonder why they didn't say you could buy the Escalli for under 20 dollars instead of nearly 50.(my guess is the would have lost the rest of their 5% of market share in that particular size scale) [:@] You'll notice they really didn't say the scale was inaccurate. They for some reason had a hard time understanding ounces, pounds and grams. I can't for the life of me understand what is strange about the way Escalli reads out.

If I put it on the pound mode it reads pounds and ounces. If my plane weighs 15 pounds and 4 ounces, it reads 15# 4oz. whats so difficult about that? [&:]

If I put it in the ounce mode and I weigh something that weighs 52 1/2 oz. the scale will say 52.5 oz. ( it reads down to the 10th of an ounce! Seems prett clear ! [:-]

if it's in the gram mode and something weights 1456 grams, the scale says 1456 gr. I'm ok with this

and the same thing for Kilo's

Now remember, I'm the guy that couldnt figure out how to quote on the forum so maybe I'm not the brightest guy around here. Maybe when you other guys get this scale you can help me understand why I should not be happy with it.

John
Old 01-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

I felt bad that Torqued-up already bought the scale this scale mag was critisizing but he didn't pay too much ( a clue as to it's value).
Jim, don't feel bad for me... If the Escali doesn't work out, I haven't lost alot of $$$... On the other hand, if it's +/- one ounce @ 40lbs, I won't complain...

In the age of CHEAP electronics, many products are dirt cheap compared to many years ago and have higher quality... You would think that low prices would continue to signify "poor quality" as it has in the past... Today, I don't think that is necessarily the case... When shopping, people pay for brand name recognition with higher prices... You want the name brand, you're gonna pay for it... In this case, I never heard of either of these companies before yesterday... Who knows which product is best... I guess we'll see...

ORIGINAL: John

Normally when you find such tiny magazine, it's got an adgenda (to promote a particular product that somewhere down the line makes them money)
I was thinking the same thing John... As the old saying goes, the sales game is about 90% sizzle and 10% steak... Tout your product while tearing down the competition... Doesn't matter which product is better...

I think I will be ready for a scale gas plane in a few months. Had decided on a Wild Hare Extra (84") with a DA 50 before I found this thread on the Yak. Can not see any reason to get to the Yak through the WH Extra now. Think I will just start with the Yak. No one in my club is even talking about this airplane and very few are into the giant scale scene so it will likely be the only one around when it happens, even if it takes me another year. At least there is one guy in our club who I trust to help me when the maiden flight time comes around.
I about in the same boat with you Jim... I got back into this hobby last year after a 15 year layoff... My, how things have changed...

I was about the order a Wild Hare Edge 540T and hang a DA50 on it... Someone at our field has one and it flies well... Then I ran across the EF Yak info and changed my mind... I have always liked the Yak and Sukhoi airframes... Something about that huge cowl and the lines of the airframe... Plus, the EF Yak is lighter and has more wing area than the WH Edge... I will probably get the WH Edge too, but after I finish the Yak...

My main concern right now is, where is that damn boat!!!!!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:04 PM
r180reef
My Feedback: (7)

Why don't you guy's start a new thread for scales. The last two pages of this thread are OFF TOPIC.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:31 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: r180reef

Why don't you guy's start a new thread for scales. The last two pages of this thread are OFF TOPIC.

Reef your exactly correct, the last two pages are about scales. It's because there is nothing else to talk about for about 98% of us until that dam boat arrives. The fact that we are talking scales doens't stop you from writing about your yak. So please don't let us stop you, were all anxious to hear how your building process is going, or your first flight. I'd love to know how much your plane weighs and what equipment you have in it.

I'm sure if there was something more interesting to talk about we would get off this scale kick were on.

Most guys building a Yak or other 3D plane for that matter are very concered about weight. As such it's perfectly ok to talk about the equipment used to determine said weight. If we only talk about the "Yak", then I guess we can't talk about servo's, engines, batteries, voltage regulators, transmitters, recievers their weight, performace or programing thereof until I'm assuming they are permanantly attached to the "Yak"? Boring!!!

John
Old 01-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

I guess for the same reason that new threads weren't started for the off topic meanderings about batteries, tuned pipe vs stock muffler, servos, engines, aluminum vs phenolic servo arms, epoxy vs gorilla glue, switches, regulators, weights & measures, bludgeoning BasinBum and on and on and on... It's the internet... Cheapest entertainment there is... lol...
Old 01-29-2005, 05:05 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

We flew Wayne's Yak today. UNREAL period! We took about 45 minutes of video. Wayne is driving home now and he'll post video tonight.

This plane on the std muffler ROCKETS out of a hover. He took video of that for everyone to see. I am so impressed w/ this plane. It snaps great, 3Ds great and IMACs great. It lands like a glider. Wayne took it through the unlimited sequence w/out a problem. I am so happy w/ this plane. Wayne had a 4% KE coupling mix in there, but he found it was not needed. So he's flying the plane without a KE coupling mix.

Chris - job well done! Stay tuned for the videos.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:24 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Cool!
You sound pumped
Can't wait to see the video shot today.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:27 PM
going vert

We are very tight on bandwidth right now. We've requested an increase to 1/2 a terabyte per month. When that goes through we can post the new videos. hang tight!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:47 PM
jrjohn

I was about the order a Wild Hare Edge 540T and hang a DA50 on it... Someone at our field has one and it flies well... Then I ran across the EF Yak info and changed my mind... I have always liked the Yak and Sukhoi airframes... Something about that huge cowl and the lines of the airframe... Plus, the EF Yak is lighter and has more wing area than the WH Edge... I will probably get the WH Edge too, but after I finish the Yak...

My main concern right now is, where is that damn boat!!!!!
I too was about to buy the WH, then my buddie that owns a WH edge 540 told me about the Yak. My friend Brian was amazing with his Wh edge 540 weighing in at 19 poound and less wing area than the yak. I can just imagine how the yak will fly at 16 to 16.5 pounds (oops.... I mean 16 pounds 8 ounces)

I"m ready for the video. Bring it on

John
Old 01-29-2005, 05:48 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Perfect is about all I can say.

Drew is right. I had an elevator to rudder and aileron to rudder mix in the radio. Didnt need either of those.
I turned that switch off and it was perfect. Amazing.
Trims on the first flight only needed 2 beeps of up and 1 beep of right rudder.

Passed the Transmitter to everyone who was there and they were all VERY impressed.

Videos in a few hours... Stay tuned.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:50 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

(oops.... I mean 16 pounds 8 ounces)

John
16 8? Who has one that heavy?
Drew's was 16 with the pipe and mine is 15 pounds 6oz's with the std muffler.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Chris,

The 87" Yak-54 is an a dreamboat. Wayne let me fly his today, and it is awesome.

I feel privledged to have been able to fly it on one of it's maiden flights. This plane is simply jaw-dropping.

Here is a picture of it before the maiden flight , Waynes EF 87" Yak-54 w/DA-50 and stock muffler, is in the background , my 68" EF Yak-54 is in the foreground.

My 68" did not survive today, I dumb thumbed it in trying a KE Loop too close to the ground.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38735.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	222345  
Old 01-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Bosshossv8

Wayne Knifing across the deck on Maiden Day.

Sorry my Fuji FinePix camera is piece of junk.

Name:	Lj21890.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	222349  
Old 01-29-2005, 06:09 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Wayne:
No need to answer my question about the snow, I see from the PICTURES Larry's place had no snow
Old 01-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Heritage rider
My Feedback: (2)

I thought the idea of this forum was to bring together people with similar interests to share information that applys to our hobby and to this plane in particular in this thread. As there were many posts about the weight of this plane (and others) a brief discussion about scales seems right on topic to me. If it does not interest you, use your scroll ahead key.

I about in the same boat with you Jim... I got back into this hobby last year after a 15 year layoff... My, how things have changed...
Not too sure how much difference there is between a 15 or 35 year lay-off. I know one thing, either is way too long to keep the connnection with your thumbs in working order. I will say that I knew guys who used to use reed systems who were still young guys at the time. In any case, nothing even close to things like this Yak. I can hardly imagine what this plane must be like to fly. It is less than twice as heavy as my UCD with WAY more power (Saito 100). Sure is strange to be so excited about something you know you will not have in the near future.

I hope there will be some who compete in IMAC or other so we will get some idea about how it does against the competition. Please post results when they happen.

Jim
Old 01-29-2005, 06:11 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Real sorry about your 68". Not near as sorry though as the first time I read it, I thought it was your 87" on it's maiden day. I'm guessing your 68" had a decent life while it lasted. My biggest fear is losing mine on maiden. I have never spent this much on a plane before. I've spent a lot more on a heli but those are almost always rebuildable. I doubt there'd be much left of these Yaks if one goes in even a little hard.
Matt
Old 01-29-2005, 06:21 PM
going vert

Guys - I hate to say it, but we got the crash on video. It's up to Mike if he wants to share it with people.

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Chris,

The 87" Yak-54 is an a dreamboat. Wayne let me fly his today, and it is awesome.

I feel privledged to have been able to fly it on one of it's maiden flights. This plane is simply jaw-dropping.

Here is a picture of it before the maiden flight , Waynes EF 87" Yak-54 w/DA-50 and stock muffler, is in the background , my 68" EF Yak-54 is in the foreground.

My 68" did not survive today, I dumb thumbed it in trying a KE Loop too close to the ground.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:25 PM
jrjohn

16 8? Who has one that heavy?
Drew's was 16 with the pipe and mine is 15 pounds 6oz's with the std muffler.

Wayne, I was just figuring 16.5 because I've had weight problems in the past. My 31% AW Edge 540 was supposed to weigh 19# according to AW. They recomended a g62 engine. I hung a 3W75 IUS on it. (lighter than a G62) and came out at 22# The thing is a flying rock. Wing loading is 36oz per square foot! I figured I could easliy get down to 19# if I removed the engine and made it into a glider. I must have some heavy glue or something, I'm not sure what my problem was!

john
Old 01-29-2005, 06:36 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Wayne, I was just figuring 16.5 because I've had weight problems in the past. My 31% AW Edge 540 was supposed to weigh 19# according to AW. They recomended a g62 engine. I hung a 3W75 IUS on it. (lighter than a G62) and came out at 22#
john

LOL.
If you have one of Chris's planes those days are over.

Everyone has been on or under advertised weight.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:39 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Sorry to hear about the crash. Sometimes it's good for the healing process to show the video and laugh a little. I'm not sure how bad it is but I have always found if you take the plane home and don't look at it for a couple days they seem to get a lot better and suddenly become fixable

john
Old 01-29-2005, 06:52 PM
flat spin

I am about 5 hours into building mine and what a joy it is to put together. I love this plane already, the construction everything, so much thought and experience has gone into this thing it is just untrue.

Chris, your gonna have to work pretty hard to beat this effort

I know everyone has seen them already but i'll have to post a few construction photos along the way.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

All he can do is make them bigger... they CAN'T get any better...

ORIGINAL: flat spin

I am about 5 hours into building mine and what a joy it is to put together. I love this plane already, the construction everything, so much thought and experience has gone into this thing it is just untrue.

Chris, your gonna have to work pretty hard to beat this effort

I know everyone has seen them already but i'll have to post a few construction photos along the way.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Bosshossv8

Thanks for the sympathy, guys. Crashing stinks. I was hot dogging and trying something I have always had a problem with. KE Loop.

I have a spare NIB and a friend who is going to sell me a couple of planes , one of them a 68" Yak.

The funny thing is, is that I flew the 87" AFTER I crashed my 68" , nervous as a cat. And in 10seconds ...one left roll , one pop up, I was totally mesmerized by how perfect the 87" flew...it was so smooth all the jitters went away. I played with it for 3 minutes or so, and passed the box to the next lucky flyer.

How many guys would let someone fly their 2500 dollar aircraft on it's Maiden Day?? And let someone fly it who just crashed a similar plane??

Answer:

Only someone who is totally confident that the plane flies PERFECTLY , and the pilot is worthy.

Thanks, Wayne.

Here is the picture of the remanants of my wreck. 5 gallons of pure joy, #3 , #4 on the table. YS getting inspected. It was a full throttle crash....[X(]

After I have watched the video in private , I will show it, I am not ashamed.

The Reality is in it's Mortality.

Some get the transponder # of that freighter so we can track it. This season is gonna be Yak Crazy.

How Much does the 107" EF Yak weigh??????

Name:	Ca80207.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	222382  
Old 01-29-2005, 08:15 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Ouch...A moment of silence.
Sorry to see the loss Mike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.