Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Looks great Drew! It's a pleasure having you host some of my work.

I looked through some of the pics and it just dawned on me that Wayne was handicapped... How long has his middle finger been paralyzed in that position? Must be for quite some time as most every video and pic I see of him has evidence of his tragic affliction...

Tee hee...

ORIGINAL: going vert

For those of you starting construction of your yak I updated the web site: http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/

It has lots of building tips and pictures from David - (Maudib). This should be a useful resource for people just getting started with the build. We are working on video taping the IMAC sequences and we are creating a new page for the Atlanta trip next week. Stay tuned and hold on for dear life..... Unfortunately for my profile, I see some full power blenders in its future....

This is what I'm talking about. http://www.video.shutupandfly.com/Blendage1.wmv
Old 02-20-2005, 07:20 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

I looked through some of the pics and it just dawned on me that Wayne was handicapped... How long has his middle finger been paralyzed in that position? Must be for quite some time as most every video and pic I see of him has evidence of his tragic affliction...

Seems as though I have been afflicted with it ever since I have been hanging around these guys..
Old 02-20-2005, 07:31 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

I'm starting another web site to list all of the videos we (wayne) has made. Here is the start.

http://video.shutupandfly.com/
Old 02-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Maudib

Wayne,

What's the deal with the Sobre? Any plans or kits?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:05 PM
wgeffon

Right now, nothing.

Jon and I are trying new things with the design to get it as good as it can be. Some stuff has worked, some hasnt.
We are narrowing it down though.
I will be flying some version of it at the EAC Memphis Indoor event and the ETOC.
Its an incredible foamy.

Once we have it tweaked we will let everyone know where plans are. They will be free.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Yak Man
My Feedback: (1)

Maubid,

Did you use the unihubs for the carbon fiber arms? If so how was the alignment?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Maudib

The CF arms align perfectly with the unihubs... just the rudder arm needed two holes redrilled.

Since I would have needed to order a unihub for each arm, and 2-56 bolts/nylock nuts... I opted to just get the proper size Airwild MLP aluminum horns. I will save these awesome cf arms though for a smaller plane and use plastic wheels with them...

If you decide ont he aluminum arms, you'll need:

Two 1.5" for the elevators and two 1.25" for the ailerons...

I also wouldn't have any qualms going the SWB route now that they have a specific rudder arm for this plane either...

ORIGINAL: jds158

Maubid,

Did you use the unihubs for the carbon fiber arms? If so how was the alignment?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:11 PM
matus777

Maudib, awesome and timely posting on the spinner cutting....looks like it has been a probelm area for a few modelers and you have made the process doable with you pictures and tips. Thumbs up!

Side note on servos: I have a Futaba 9z and was trying to get my elevators setup with two 5945 Hitecs...I could never get them to match either in travel or end of deflection and end deflection would change constantly with max stick input. Very frustrating and this, even after having them sent back to Hitec for a check out. My linkage was setup properly but nothing seemed to work with these servos. One day, while screwing with the setup I reset my ATV value in the TX to 100% and all of a sudden my elevator half hit max deflection.....reset all ATV's to 100% from 140% and achieved more throw all around. These servos did not like anything over 100% otherwise they would never reach full travel nor would they center correctly or travel together.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:32 PM
coche

I was reading the manual, and I noticed that it does not mention using a small tube on one of the pull pull cables!

I always try to install a small tube on one cable to prevent the cables rubing each time the rudder its used!

how did you install your rudder set up?? with bare wires??
Old 02-21-2005, 12:22 AM
wgeffon

Yep.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 AM
coche

bare wires???? that gives me 2 things to worry about! a cable to be cut for the rubing, and also I feel like that it can make radio failure!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:35 AM
wgeffon

Jose,

It wouldnt be any trouble to put something over the wires if its gonna make you feel more secure about the set up.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:46 AM
coche

I am not worried about my plane! I will install a small tube on one wire! its yours that worries me!

Wayne, when does your flying season ends? when are you coverd with snow??

I am asking becouse on my club we make an event at October or November, we dont have your problem with snow! we can fly all year long! so if you or any of you guys want to cum you are all invited!

you dont have to bring a plane! you can fly my radiocraft and my yak! I preatty sure you know to handle both planes!

I know its to soon to talk about it but I am telling you just for you to have it on your mind!
we can talk about it later the season!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:05 AM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

some 1/16 heat shrink should do the trick!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:25 AM
rcaviator-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Well I got home with mine Saturday night. Did some work to it then, and worked on it most of the day yesterday. It is almost ready to fly! I have fuel system and mounting the cowl yet to do. Weather permitting I will fly it Wednesday or Thursday. There is no reason you why you couldn't dedicate a weekend to this plane and have it completely built. It is very easy to go together. The only problem I ran in to was that the aileron push rods are too long when used with my 8611 servos to get the geometry exactly right. I need to pick up an antenna tube and some wood for mounting the fuel tank from the hobby shop, and that's all I have needed to buy in addition to what I had. I am mounting my fuel tank further back for CG reasons and because I mounted my choke servo right behind the throttle servo.

I do have one question. I mounted my fuel dot just behind the cowl and above the wing. Some fuel will leak from this when fueling. Will it effect the foam around the wing area? Should I mix up some epoxy and coat this area?

Very easy to build this one, and well engineered.

Thanks,
Don Miller
Old 02-21-2005, 07:32 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

I mounted my fuel dot on the cowl, but if you are in the foam, coat everything w/ epoxy for sure. The gas will eat the balsa and foam.

ORIGINAL: rcaviator-RCU

Well I got home with mine Saturday night. Did some work to it then, and worked on it most of the day yesterday. It is almost ready to fly! I have fuel system and mounting the cowl yet to do. Weather permitting I will fly it Wednesday or Thursday. There is no reason you why you couldn't dedicate a weekend to this plane and have it completely built. It is very easy to go together. The only problem I ran in to was that the aileron push rods are too long when used with my 8611 servos to get the geometry exactly right. I need to pick up an antenna tube and some wood for mounting the fuel tank from the hobby shop, and that's all I have needed to buy in addition to what I had. I am mounting my fuel tank further back for CG reasons and because I mounted my choke servo right behind the throttle servo.

I do have one question. I mounted my fuel dot just behind the cowl and above the wing. Some fuel will leak from this when fueling. Will it effect the foam around the wing area? Should I mix up some epoxy and coat this area?

Very easy to build this one, and well engineered.

Thanks,
Don Miller
Old 02-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone know if Chris has started shipping them out yet?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Dave763

I know him and his girlfriend spend a better part of the weekend getting everything ready to start shipping today.
(Hardware packs etc...)
Old 02-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Maudib

Now that's what I call anxious...

ORIGINAL: Dave763

Old 02-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Maudib

You are right about bare wires... however the wires that come with the kit are coated and there is no bare wire touching...

It still isn't a bad idea to throw a 6" piece of thin shrink tubing for added insulation. On some planes I've even went so far at to glue a thin dowel rod across the fuse at the approximate location of the crossing. Running one wire over and the other under the dowel.

ORIGINAL: coche

bare wires???? that gives me 2 things to worry about! a cable to be cut for the rubing, and also I feel like that it can make radio failure!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:55 AM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

You are right about bare wires... however the wires that come with the kit are coated and there is no bare wire touching...

ORIGINAL: coche

Like Maudib said, this shouldn't be an issue with vinyl coated cables, to my knowledge no one sells (or uses) bare wire for rudder cables do they ?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Maudib

The aileron pushrods are a smidge long... I had to to screw all the way (plus 1/2 turn) into the ball links... A person could grind a 1/16" off each end... (I've never tried to grind titanium... but I think it would grind down...

you are right about being a quick build... If I had dedicated a complete weekend (maybe a 3rd day) to the Yak AND would have had all my stuff waiting here for me...

I am waiting on a couple minor things to get here tomorrow and mine will be done too...
plus I've been finishing up another pet project... recovering a Chip Hyde Vision. (Why oh why do I let meself do such things... covering is so frsutrating to me, but I do like nice lookin' planes)

ORIGINAL: rcaviator-RCU

There is no reason you why you couldn't dedicate a weekend to this plane and have it completely built. It is very easy to go together. The only problem I ran in to was that the aileron push rods are too long when used with my 8611 servos to get the geometry exactly right.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Jecarte
My Feedback: (8)

Looks a lot better than the girly ribbons
Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Jecarte
My Feedback: (8)

Can I ride the black widow, Can I ride the black widow, Can I ride the black widow, Can I ride the black widow, Can I ride the black widow, Can I ride the black widow, Have you shipped the 87" Yak yet, Have you shipped the 87" Yak yet, Have you shipped the 87" Yak yet, Have you shipped the 87" Yak yet, Have you shipped the 87" Yak yet, Have you shipped the 87" Yak yet, Have you shipped the 87" Yak yet,

Are we there yet, Are we there yet, Are we there yet,
Old 02-21-2005, 10:04 AM
flat spin

I now have the DA's and am about to go pick up my servos and other bits and pieces other than that all i have to do is FINISH THE PLANE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.