Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:56 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Ohh...and imagine puting a 3-blade prop with the CH pipe. It might get the noise to below 90dB. Then I'll be asking the guys flying the little .40 size nitro engines to "keep it down"

Hehahahahaha (Evil laughter) [>:][>:][>:][>:]
Old 02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Hey all you Yak-kers,

Just got off the phone with Chris. Thought I would be first on the list for the next shipment of Yaks when the boat hits the water [8D] but am not the first by far! The good news is that I am on the list fairly early and he thinks it may be as little as 2 months before another boat sets sail[sm=drowning.gif] [sm=surprised.gif] so I certainly will be watching and learning and KNOW that my first Giant Scale Gasser will be done right the FIRST TIME!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Leaning toward the Taurus 52 engine... does Chip Hyde make a quiet pipe for that one?

RDB
Old 02-22-2005, 06:20 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Some of this talk is scaring me[&:] I didn't order till early last month and I'm starting to fear that I won't get one off this first shipload. I thought Chris told me there'd be one for me but now I wonder if he meant there'd be one for me, eventually, like next boat. I guess I'll know by the end of the week!
Matt
Old 02-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

If he took your deposit, I believe you have a plane coming. If he didn't... well... You can some over and fly mine..

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

Some of this talk is scaring me[&:] I didn't order till early last month and I'm starting to fear that I won't get one off this first shipload. I thought Chris told me there'd be one for me but now I wonder if he meant there'd be one for me, eventually, like next boat. I guess I'll know by the end of the week!
Matt
Old 02-22-2005, 06:33 PM
eb542

David,

I would like to thank your remarkable contribution to this tread. I have been waiting anxiously for the engine/muffler combo specs.

You have just confirmed what I wanted to hear, I will go with the stock muffler on the Yak, lightest possible all around!

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:03 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David, you did a great job on the pipe/DB/rpm study. Thank you. let me add some food for thought.
One thing that I think is more important or atleast equally important for a good 3D setup is how quicky the engine reaches it's powerband or most efficent RPM.

Example... lets say the stock pipe will turn the engine 6700 RPMs with a given prop. And a tuned pipe hits 7,000 with the same. The average person may think the tuned pipe is going to be better for the engine. I'm guessing it might not be. or it really depends on the type of flying your going to do.

A good 3D plane needs an engine that has good low and midrange torque and is quick to spool up. A piped engine will sacrafice bottom and middle range torque and turn it into RPMs on top. If your a roundy rounder and like top end speed, then Max Rpm is all that matters. However if you 3D it will be more important which engine gets to 6700 RPMs the quickest. Another thing... you might find the piped engine to spool up a heck of a lot slower when you get to a 24X8 or a 23x8 prop making matters even worse.

Remember the verticle race between wayne and the other guy. That was a perfect example of why you would want the stock pipe if noise was not a concern.

3D flying is not a race, midrange torque rules the roost. If the pipes only produce a couple of hundred RPMs difference, I'd take the pipe that spools the fastest, the fact that the stock muffler is liter makes it a no brainer.

john
Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
basmntdweller

Chris e-mailed me and said I should get one this time around. Woohoo
Matt
Old 02-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Maudib

I agree whole heartedly with you JRJohn... and I've been getting some reports that a tuned pipe does indeed require different throttle inputs... More goosing required in the hovering band as opposed to a more stable rpm with other options.

The Chip Hyde Canister isn't tuned.

I guess I shoulod have commented on that as well...

The transition of the canister and stock muffler was very crisp... the inverted pitts seemed to take more time to build up power. Again only judging by ear and feel, but I was really excited about the performance with the can.

The whole tuning of the pipe is what put me off, that and the fact that there is a "come on the pipe" transition... probably at the top end where I will NEVER be with this plane.

I run my DV with the stock muffler and love the transition... but when testing today I did not notce a difference between the can and the muffler.

But the muffler IS 8 oz lighter. However, I can just about bet it won't pass an IMAC sound test.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Mudsurfer1234

I still am not sure of how we make the final payment. Will we get a call from Chris? or an email with a request for the PayPal or somthing? i don't think he would ship one to us without getting a payment, and i am hoping it comes soon so i can get some practice in before the first IMAC on April 23rd.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

Chris e-mailed me and said I should get one this time around. Woohoo
Matt
When did you get on the list???
Old 02-22-2005, 08:12 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

I still am not sure of how we make the final payment. Will we get a call from Chris? or an email with a request for the PayPal or somthing? i don't think he would ship one to us without getting a payment, and i am hoping it comes soon so i can get some practice in before the first IMAC on April 23rd.

Thanks,
Scott
I know he does not paypal, but I assume you will get a call. Just be glad you are getting one for sure this shipment. I, unfortunately, didn't get on the list until early last week and am apparently teetering between one from this run and one in 2 months. Chris said he might be able to get me one this shipment, bu it sounded like it would take a few cancelations, SO CANCEL YOUR ORDER IF YOU WILL NOT BE BUILDING THIS PLANE RIGHT AWAY, PLEASE!!!!! Either way, I am commited. I bought the DA (although the guy hasn't sent me a money request yet) and the servos, so I am already $1000 into the project. I am also considering a new 9303 and retiring my 10-year-old 783. MAN OH MAN, THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:16 PM
bodywerks

Maudib, thanks again! I now see the Hyde canister in my future for the plane that I don't have yet!!! According to Chip, the throttle response is top notch, as well!

Also, for whoever asked the question, this pipe will work on your 52cc engine. it assembles like a tuned pipe, so your main concern is getting a header that will fit your engine...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 PM
vertical ts
My Feedback: (50)

I to am waiting for a call.I put my deposit down last month and ordered about a year ago.
I can't wait to get this bird in my hands.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:20 PM
basmntdweller

I paid the $100 deposit on Jan 7 so I must have called and checked with Chris a week or two prior to get on the list. I recall he contacted everybody sometime after I got on the list for the deposits.
Matt
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Maudib

You guys are all welcome! I'm glad to be able to share the info and excitement for this plane. I don't pretend to be any more experienced than the next guy... and most of what I've learned came from here on RCU.

Who knows... I may have some more really neat things to share in the next few days...

Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 PM
jpa2002
My Feedback: (115)

OK guys, someone please cancel their order and give Chris my name for this go around. I have the motor, pipe, and most of the electronics, all I need is the plane!

I know, nobody wants to cancel! Well, if you decide you don't want yours, let me know and I will take it, so that I can get this project going.

Thanks
Jon Abney
Old 02-22-2005, 10:11 PM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

Thanks,
Scott
Scott,

I got an email from Chris last Thursday stating they were in. If you pay by credit card I amsure it will just go through although I would thinke that he would email you. Did you pay your deposit by CC and provide a shipping address at that time?

I paid my deposit by Money Order and asked to pay ballance by money order so perhaps that is why I got the email.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:13 PM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jpa2002

OK guys, someone please cancel their order and give Chris my name for this go around. I have the motor, pipe, and most of the electronics, all I need is the plane!

I know, nobody wants to cancel! Well, if you decide you don't want yours, let me know and I will take it, so that I can get this project going.

Thanks
Jon Abney
Jon,

Chris received ab out 230 Yaks so just contact him and order one. i don't think all 230 are gone yet.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
jrjohn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ScaleRules

Thanks
Jon Abney
Jon,

Chris received ab out 230 Yaks so just contact him and order one. i don't think all 230 are gone yet.
I hate to burst your Russian bubble but I spoke to Chris on Monday and he said all 230 yaks were sold. I can't imagine a better senario for Chris than a feeding frenzy such as he has. Congrats Chris! I love to see good people succeed

John
Old 02-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

ORIGINAL: ScaleRules

Thanks
Jon Abney
Jon,

I hate to burst your Russian bubble but I spoke to Chris on Monday and he said all 230 yaks were sold. I can't imagine a better senario for Chris than a feeding frenzy such as he has. Congrats Chris! I love to see good people succeed

John

Chris is in the cat-bird seat with all the positive, pro-bono reviews he is receiving from the first batch of 20 Yaks... Maybe air freighting the first 20 wasn't such a bad idea after all...

If someone wants mine from the first batch, well, the bidding starts at about 1 zillion dollars... Ah, the laws of supply and demand... I know, that's cold, but I couldn't help it...

I have everything except the SWB control arms that I want to use instead fo the phenolic arms... I've cleared the bench of all other "clutter" in anticipation of a Yak attack...
Old 02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Chris has been very busy. He called me Saturday and I missed the call , Il left a message and an email and he still hasn't gotten back around to me. Mine are low priority though, friends are driving them back from GA.[8D]

Yeah, I think e is real busy with all the logistical crap. The man's gotta sleep.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

A quick post between shipping Yaks! First, If you paid your $100.00 deposit you will absolutely, positively get a plane from this shipment, no worries. If you placed your depsoit and haven't heard from me concerning payment of the balance, please call 770-887-1794 to confirm it is OK to charge the balance. I had to stop calling in order to continue shipping. We are trying our best to get all of the planes out by Monday or Tuesday of next week. For those who are waiting to see if there are any left I hope to know for sure by early next week. Now, back to the boxes!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

I just got off the phone with EF. They sound really busy. My Yak is on the way!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:34 AM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know if it was posted before but how many Yak's are in this current shipment?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Ricmussman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.