Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9 Edge 540 or SU31

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Edge 540 or SU31

Well, Flying the Ultimate wasn't a good idea. I lost it today too. Bummed. [&o]
Old 12-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Robotech, what happened?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:14 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The EDGE is very nice -builds light - the one I just did for a customer is UNDER 23 lbs --with a DA100-
No carbon fibre aftermarket stuff - no holes added -in fact just two sticks of spruce added (that was for battery mounting)
as the only change except for the four maple engine standoffs. (Oh yeh -and a lite ply tank mounting stand -an ounce-)
balance is to the book with no weight shifting - all 8611 servos one big NIMH for radio -one med Nicad for engine.
very nice flyer - would make a good trainer with power throttled back and plenty of expo - really--
I save my on the deck 3D flying for my little electrics - you can do really stupid things with no fear of losses.
The EDGE also does all the stuff - but as this one is a customer's plane - no really WOW stuff was tried .
I once lost a new model for a customer -when the radio locked out (broken antenna)on take off - Made me spooky ----
Old 12-12-2004, 10:21 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Where did you balance it to fly well? There's a guy on here who can't get his flying right. He claims its balanced at 6".

I can't wait to get mine in the air... ZDZ-80 combo. Just have to wait 'till April.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:39 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all assembled -- from c/l of wing tube - to 1" aft - seems good on it
FWIW - this is pretty typical on all 33% H9 models
I have built all of em - some more than a few times
My personal ones have been CAPS and EXTRAS- my favorites - but that's another story --
If you put it aft of that - and there is not absolutely positive elevator control - it will be a handful for some --
I did this one as norted with 8611 and set JR 10X for 150% = 40 degrees elevator throw - not really a wild setup -but then th owner is not into that stuff too heavily .
that setup needs and can tolerate a lot of expo- some servos simply get rubbery when set up this way .
Net result -the thing is all over the place on landing inputs
The ZDZ setup will come out a pound lighter if you do it without piling in smoke and Buck Rogers battery setups --
Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Robotech

Don't know for sure. I have been flying this plane for over two years. I was on the second flight of the day and it just locked out on me and was flying off. I got it back and was trying to get it on the field so I could land it I lost it again , then I had it , then I lost it ........went down behind a tree line and was demolished. [] I threw the remains in the back of my truck and that's where they still are this morning. Didn't even tell the wife about it. Not that she would be mad but because she knows this hobby is my only "fun" time.

I tell you what. ( Hank Hill voice ) A couple of weekends like I've had and you could think about switching back to tennis or golf. [&o]
Old 12-13-2004, 08:38 AM
JPrc
My Feedback: (22)

I have had to open up 4 sukhoi wings for a friend and found several problems. If you look at the lightening holes in the ribs they look like they have been cut with a dull die. The wood is very soft and all of the wings had cracks running from one hole to the other. These cracks started at the root to the end of the wing tube. Some ribs were missing whole sections of balsa from one lightening hole to the other. Another problem was the fiberglass wing tubes in these wings had very little glue to the point were two of them could be moved in and out by had. The last problem was the hardwood spars had come loose from the shear webbing. The webbing was glued in the right direction but again had very little glue. Also all the glue in the wings was hot glue. What I did to rebuilt the wings were to take sheeting off of the bottom and rebuild all of the ribs missing balsa. Next I probonded the fiberglass wingtube back to the ribs, shear webbing and hardwood spars. The great thing about the probond is once is swelled it formed a saddle around the front of the wing tub tying in the whole structure and making it very solid. Last I painted the ribs and shear webbing with a lite coat of probond. This stiffened up all of the soft balsa and hopefully will prevent the cracking from lightening hole to lightening hole in the ribs. The wings are incredible stiff now and very little weight was added. Again these problems were not found in one wing panel but four different wings. You may want to take a flashlight and look inside your wings for cracks in the ribs before it is to late.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:26 AM
sillyness

Will do!

Dick,
Mine has a ZDZ-80, a 24oz tank, no smoke, and 2 x 2200 mAh Li-Ions. Should be very light, but I don't have a scale.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:48 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I second spindoc's comments...

I posted on here some time ago about my H 9 Suk wing failure. I caught mine before a major failure.. sent the wings back to H 9 ( pita) and they eventually replaced them. Seems they are hard to find ! Hmm ..

Anyway, I heard loose parts in my wings. Looked down inside.. and the ribs were all falling apart! Looked like somebody crushed them top to bottom. Wow.. at least I found it before I crashed, but the plane was down for 5 months waiting on parts.

Hanger 9 did make it right WHEN they were able to find the parts. Good customer service really. They did pay for the shipping to return the wings as I found out it was really expensive !

Had no issue yet with new wings.. selling the plane to build some thing else now it's winter.

Good Day.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:07 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

HMMMM anybody want a sukhoi? Nahh, just kiddin. I have one with half the covering peeled, guess the rest will be coming off too. What else can be done to get this right the first time? I will be putting a da-100 in and was hoping to get it done soon. Well without a good workshop It might wait till I can get the wings fixed up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated asap so I can get started.'

Thanks
Old 12-28-2004, 10:28 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can somone (Dick H) post a pic of the sheer webbing area, being an ARF idiot I'm not too sure of the area that I am supposed to inspect
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Shear webbing is the balsa wood (or light ply) that is glued between the two horizontal spars from the top of the wing to the bottom of the wing. It should be glued to the front and rear face of the spar itslef. On well constructed planes the shear web usually touches the wings ribs on either side and in most cases with ARF's there is usually a gap between the wing ribs and the shear web itself. they do that to save time and fitting. The grain of the wood should run vertically, not horizontally. If it is horizontal it will not have any strength, (Re: Hangar 9 Edge 540 120 sized ARF wing recall a couple of years ago). here are a couple of pictures that may help you clarify what to look for:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25050.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	207783  
Old 12-29-2004, 09:44 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good pics Hooked!

Diablo kid, u want to change your Suk from the I-beam construction in the middle pic and turn it into the Tri-beam construction shown at right. I'd go at least a few bays past the wing tube if not right to the tip.

Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 04:48 PM
sillyness

Before I cut into my wing...

Does the Edge have I-Beam construction or is the webbing glued to the front or rear face of the spars... want to know where I need to start cutting.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:42 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Why is a Parachute so bad for a airframe what part of the plane does it stress out more than say a wall or other 3d manuevers,,,,,
Old 12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

a parachute typically has much more speed behind it, most people let it go down quite a ways and it builds speed fast! Some planes can take it, but I dont do them, just on small planes with less invested.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 PM
SunShyne

I dont mean to stir things up but when I purchase an aerobatic airplane I expect it to be able to take some abuse, I find it weird that a Sukhoi or any other "high performance" airplane be treated as if it was a trainer in the air and maneuvers should be "gentle"

If it cant take multiple snaps and violent walls then its not worthy imo [:@] If you fly with the thought of it potentially falling apart in midair then something is wrong...

Am I wrong in saying this or do you guys agree?

matt
Old 12-29-2004, 09:44 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

I dont mean to stir things up but when I purchase an aerobatic airplane I expect it to be able to take some abuse, I find it weird that a Sukhoi or any other "high performance" airplane be treated as if it was a trainer in the air and maneuvers should be "gentle"

If it cant take multiple snaps and violent walls then its not worthy imo [:@] If you fly with the thought of it potentially falling apart in midair then something is wrong...

Am I wrong in saying this or do you guys agree?

matt

Im guessing you dont have a pilots license.. cant do much in them.. Doing a parachute is just one manuever, there are plenty others to do to keep busy
Old 12-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Flyfalcons

Yep, the closer you get to full scale the more you're going to have to play by the rules. I've given my comp-arf some cruel and unusual punishment and it has taken it in stride, but others haven't been as lucky. Same goes with wood planes; there is going to be enough weight and momentum in my Lanier 40% Edge to tear itself apart in the sky if I'm not careful.

Of course, we could build our larger planes to handle the most outrageous, high speed violent maneuvers, but then there would be more threads complaining about how heavy our planes are.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:50 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Speaking of 40% Lanier edges how is that thing coming along???? Looked like you were doing a good job of keeping it light.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Yep, the closer you get to full scale the more you're going to have to play by the rules. I've given my comp-arf some cruel and unusual punishment and it has taken it in stride, but others haven't been as lucky. Same goes with wood planes; there is going to be enough weight and momentum in my Lanier 40% Edge to tear itself apart in the sky if I'm not careful.

Of course, we could build our larger planes to handle the most outrageous, high speed violent maneuvers, but then there would be more threads complaining about how heavy our planes are.

point taken...
Old 12-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Flyfalcons

Hey v-snap, the project is on hold as I am in Minneapolis right now and the plane is still in Seattle. I am hoping to be able to move back to the Northwest in the Spring and will try to have it done for the flying season. Rest assured that when I get back to work on it I will try to document as much as possible.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:19 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Thought I'd add a few comments here since I know a little abou the Suk and Edge. First, contrary to something I read above, there is NO hot glue used in the wings or in any Hangar 9 model. The glue you saw is an alphetic white glue.

The SUK wing construction is unique from our other models in the area of the spar and webbing. It uses a channeled main spar with an "I" beam web. The new Edge does not, it has shear webs glued on the face of the spar. (like the Extra and Cap)
We've gone beack to that type of construction as its easier to be sure adequate glue is used in production.

As for the comment I saw above stating that a model should be able to take multiple hard walls, parachutes etc, I just cant agree with that. Those are very stressful maneuvers on an airframe and I dont believe many GS models can stand up to that over time. BTW, that being said, the Hangar 9 models are tested through quite a lot of that stuff, more than I hoped the typical guy would put it through. All but the Cap that died in a mid air are still flying.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:45 AM
SunShyne

thanks for the input Mike, its always appreciated in getting some inside info

matt
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Robotech

Just an update. I been flying the H9 Edge since this thread a couple of years ago and really love it. This weekend I finalized a deal with a RCU member on a NIB H9 Su-31. I just couldn't stand it any more. I waited all this time for a new Sukhoi offering but none of the very few that have come out " melt my butter " like the H9 SU-31. I had to have another one and got a fantastic deal.

Believe me, those wing panels will be plenty strong before it takes to the air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.