Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Best Gasser for the money

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
air mail rcu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Gasser for the money

I would like some comments (opinions) about what you think is the best 74 to 84 inch wingspan 3D plane and engine combo on the market for the money. Gas only and we are not rich so we are looking best buy.

Terry
Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Best Gasser for the money

WildHare Edge with a DA-50 or Brison 3.2[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Terry, that would all depend on what you are looking to get out of your plane. If you want a high level 3D performer or just a solid aerobatic plane. Obviously for the plane, the kits are cheaper. Midwest Extra, Midwest cap, those planes are reasonable in price. I just finished a Columbo Anderson 27% Extra that should be a super light flyer. If you want an ARF there are several choices around the $400 mark. As far as engines go IMO the best bargain out there are the Sachs 3.2 engines. Those can be found for a good price and they are strong motors. The drawback would be the fact that they are a few oz heavier than other motors in their class. I have 2 Brison 3.2s and a BME 50 and those are all great engines. I really don't think a DA is the best for the money because they are the most expensive 50cc engine you can buy with only slightly more power output. Good motors, but not a bargain. I figure most answers you get here will be a matter of opinion, but hopefully you can get something from it.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:19 PM
sunvalleyfarms

REDRUM is wright go with the Wild Hare Edge or the Extra . I have one of each with the DA-50 It is by far the best plane for the money
Old 02-05-2005, 11:21 PM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

I am on my second GP Patty Wagstaff Extra 300 ARF..My first one had a Fuji 50 and I had loads of fun with it..Not a great 3D setup but had plenty of power for what I wanted..after losing the first one I got a new one for Christmas and installed a Zenoah G62 and man does it move out..plane weighs 18lbs with the G62 and it will really haul a**...and it is a beautiful plane with no bad tendencies..some will tell you it has to high a wing loading but never noticed any indication of this in the two I have owned...Price is normally in the $350.00 range.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:36 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

I was looking at this as well. I posted a similar question, but it was build or buy arf. I think that I am going to go with the arf and look at the following:

Wild Hare Edge/Extra [link]http://www.wildharerc.com/Products/products.html[/link] for $400
AeroTech Velox [link]http://www.aerotech-rcmodels.com/Products/ARF/Velox/velox.html[/link] for $400
BME Edge 30% [link]http://www.bmeaircraft.com/html/edge/edge.html[/link] for $450, with BME 50 combo for just over $1000

I figure that if I was to build one it would be more like $600-$700 just in the plane. My first gasser will definitely be an arf.

As for the engine, I did a little comparison shopping for them the other night and this is what I found int the 50cc range:

These weights/prices are approximates (depends on where you shop). Weights may be with or without muffler, not sure.

Zenoah G62 $385 5.2 lbs
ZDZ 50 $650 3.4 lbs
DA 50 $650+ 3 lbs
BME 50 $570 3.3 lbs
3W-42 $510 4 lbs
Brison 3.2 $520 3.25 lbs
FPE 3.2 $580 4.25 lbs
Fox 3.2 $575 Not Given
Taurus 3.2 Call 3.3 lbs
Fuji BT50EI $480 4.7 lbs
Fuji BT50SB $400 5.3 lbs
3W-50i $610 4.5 lbs
Q52M Not Given 5.1 lbs
Sachs $600 5 lbs

So it all just depends on what you are looking for. If weight is an issue you'll have to spend a little more money. I'm looking at the BME50. Best thing to do is do a search here on RCU for the engine that you are interested in and you will find lots of opinions and then you can form your own and determine what will be best for you.

James
Old 02-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before I say anything else, I have to state that I'm strongly biased in favor of the Wild Hare 28% planes for the size combination that you are looking at.

The reasons are as follows. Wild Hare has developed a line of 28% aerobats that are very easy to assemble and set up for the first time gas driver. The quality of the finish, construction, and additional hardware package is very high. The manufacturer also offers excellent assistance to all his customers if they need any.

Obtaining any one of the 50cc engines suggested by the manufacturer will provide more than ample power for any type of flying you choose to do and later opens the door to many other planes in the size class.

The 28% planes are very easy to fly and land. That helps tremendously in developing your ability and confidance in giant scale. It's very easy to pay much more for the final cost of a plane smaller than a 28% Wild Hare, but it is extremely difficult, if possible at all, to pay less than you would for a completed Wild Hare. On top of that, you will be using gasoline to drive the plane, not glow fuel.

Pat
Old 02-06-2005, 01:42 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I am on my second GP Patty Wagstaff Extra 300 ARF..My first one had a Fuji 50 and I had loads of fun with it..Not a great 3D setup but had plenty of power for what I wanted..after losing the first one I got a new one for Christmas and installed a Zenoah G62 and man does it move out..plane weighs 18lbs with the G62 and it will really haul a**...and it is a beautiful plane with no bad tendencies..some will tell you it has to high a wing loading but never noticed any indication of this in the two I have owned...Price is normally in the $350.00 range.
Your indication that the wing is too heavily loaded is in bold in the quote.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:25 AM
torqmeister

I have a 16lb GP Patty and Brison 3.2. It is unlimited in performance. And the Brison is selling for $449 right now... a greiht combo. If you stick with Brison, BME, or DA, you can't go wrong.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Overall best performance "Wild Hare" with a good 50.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:04 AM
air mail rcu

Thanks Everyone this is great information. I'm learning a lot with this thread.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Harrier3D

Hello,

The Velox is a great flying plane and a great deal.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Jemo

Yes the Velox is nice, so is the BME but the Wild Hare has the most square inches of wing. They all come out in the same weight area, therefore the larger wing, less wing loading will be better.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:47 PM
N45328

You guys are forgetting about the Extreme Flight 87" Yak. Dont get scared by the 649 price tag. It comes with Wing, stab and a fuse bag, wheels, tank, EVERY bit of hardware you need for the plane, carbon fiber tubes for the wing and stabs, double truss phenolic horns, titanium turnbuckls pushrods, servo arms, vinyl graphics, and lost more. You wont be able to beat the construction on this plane from what I have seen. It was built around the DA-50 and has 1450 sqin of wing area. Ridiculously low wing loading. I am hearing production planes are weighing in under 15.5 pounds with the standard DA muffler. I dont think this thing can be beat and they are available now.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Jemo

Yeah, sure, what do you know Kid................
Old 02-06-2005, 06:16 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

If you are on a budget, want something quickly that is excellent and forgiving, here is my "B" list for a 50CC plane, target weight 17 pounds:

Wild Hare Edge or Extra (I like the Edge better for 3D)
50cc Ignition engine. I am impartial to DA and 3W, but the Brison, BME and MVVS engines are all good as well.
(The Zenoah is tempting, but it is heavy and will not fly nearly as light)
7 Channel PCM RX
Go with a minimum 1200 Mah NiMH on ignition (4 CELL!!) and a single 1800 Mah + on RX double up on the switches for RX.
Be prepared to "top off" charges at the field, but you don't want to load up on the weight by carrying more capacity

Metal Gear servos for Ailerons and Elevator. I like 5945s, but they are $75 apeice. You can "get by" with 645MGs ($37 each)
Don't skimp on the rudder servo - go with an 8611 ($105)

There is no reason you cannot put this plane together for about $1600 with all new stuff. It is not realistic to think you can go below that unless you cobble it together with used parts and bargains.. in IMO that is asking for problems.

My "A" list: Target Weight 15.5 - 16 Pounds

Aerotech Velox II or BME Edge
DA 50, Slimline Muffler
MenzS wood prop
Mezjlik CF spinner
JR R770 PCM RX
1 2200 MaH fromeco Relion IGN, 5.1v regulator, fail safe
2 2200 MaH Fromeco Relions RX, 6v regulators, fail safe
Graphtech Carden 30% CAP CF Main Gear
Nelson Pull-Pull setup
Nelson horns
SWB or MLP servo arms
5945MG servos on all surfaces except rudder
8611 on rudder
mighty-mini digi on throttle

Target cost $2200

Actually, I think the best model made for the money PERIOD is the Extreme Yak 54. I don't like Yaks, but it is hard to ignore that one it is so well thought out. Honestly - I have not seen a better "out of the box" complete setup anywhere. Every time I visit the website I get an itch in my pocket where my wallet is... oooh it would be so easy to whip out that debit card... !

Anyone need a 50cc plane put together?? I'de love to get my hands on one of those!!
Anyway, I Hope this helps!
DP
Old 02-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I have only flown 1 28% plane I am bias. I have the WildHare Edge 540 and just LOVE it. You can't go wrong with this plane. I shopped around and did tons of research and ended up with this bird as my choice.