Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 SCALE CAP 232 FORUM

Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 PM
RustyTumbles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 SCALE CAP 232 FORUM

No not really. It is done up quite tight and the rubber isn't all that thick. Most of the vibration is a idle, other than that it's ok. Just be sure to balance the prop and spinner!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Maxime

I have a H9 25% Cap232.

Powered by a YS 140L, I guess it was one of the first version of the ARF cause it is quite heavy. I needed 12 ounces on the nose to balance it initially... Flew OK, but not terribly well at 14-14.5 pounds.

I did make a few mods to improve performance. I moved the throttle servo right behind the firewall, and I made a hardwood spacer to move the engine 1 inche forward. I was able to remove 1/2 pound of weight on the firewall. Flew better, but still not quite as I'd like. I must say I didn't have the right prop. A Dynathrust 18x6 at first, and a APC 16-10 later. The Dynathrust was a crappy prop, but I could land in the first third of the runway. Performance was better with the 16x10 APC, but every landing would end nose-over at the end of our 180x8 foot paved runway.

Right now I am making more mods... I had two elevator servos with long carbon fiber rods to the elevator. I changed that to pull-pull cables to the elevator, with one S9405 servo. About 4 ounces saved. And it's behind the cg, so I guess I'll be able to remove 2 ounces in the nose ( there will only be 2 ounces left on the firewall).

I was using heavy aileron servos, replaced them with slightly lighter sevos (about 1 ounce saving). The original servos are now in my new Raptor 50. I will be using also a lighter battery pack. And oh yeah... I bought the right prop this time... An APC 17x8!!!

The ultimate goal is to make the plane no more that 13 pounds. I will have to find a few areas to shave a few ounces here and there.... Should be an achievable goal. Will most likely re-test fly sometime this Spring.

The pic of my engine was before I added the spacer to move the engine forward by 1 inche.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70640.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	256786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59634.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	256787  
Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 AM
RustyTumbles

Wow, 14lbs thats heavy!!! What batteries are you running? Can you move them forward in the fuse instead of adding lead? Lead is bad[:@][:@] Try and move things before you add lead.... I would have thought with a YS140 you would be in the 11-12lb range. I am hoping for 12lbs with a G26 but I will have the new version of the airframe. I think apc props are the best in this size range the 18x8 wide blade on my extra has doubled the vertical I was getting!!

Tomcrump. Have you got an update on your cap? What engine are you going to use?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 AM
TomCrump

bigsport

My Extreme Aircraft Cap is coming along well. It seems to be a well constructed airframe. The fiberglass wheel pants and cowl are very well made. The color match on the painted parts, is excellent. I haven't run into any problems so far.

I plan on powering the Cap with a Moki 2.10. The predrilled motor mount holes are too close together, for this motor. I'll have to relocate them. The motor box will be reinforced, too.

Right now, I'm waiting for my servos to arrive at my LHS. When I pick them up, I'll get a 24oz fuel tank. The one supplied, is too small to use with the Moki.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Maxime

Was running a 5 cell 1400 mAh NICD pack, against the firewall. Yes this plane is built heavy. Can't wait to put it on a scale once I'm done modidying it.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:43 PM
rccub
My Feedback: (184)

tomcrump, i have the extreme cap just like yours. i have a o.s. 1.60 for power. i am using all hitec 625 hi torque servos, and a 6 volt 2000 mah receiver battery. elevator servos in the tail, with pull-pull on the rudder. you are really going to like this plane. people dont believe this, but, this is a cap that wont snap. at least not on low rates. and believe me, you can do all you want on low rates. i have actually cut the pwer and just glided in to land. on the maiden flight, i landed deadstick, and all was well. hope you have fun with yours.
charlie
Old 04-11-2005, 09:28 PM
TomCrump

Thanks rccub

I'm breaking new ground with my Cap. All my other models are scale ships. I hope that I'm not in over my head.

Mine will have FMA 80 oz servos in the wings, a 132 oz Futaba on the rudder and Hitec 645s on the elavators. It's the Hitecs that I'm waiting for.

Thanks for the info on the flight characteristics. I plan on taking it easy with my contol throws.

How did yours balance? An initial check on mine indicates that it will come out tail heavy.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:25 AM
RustyTumbles

Got any more pics tomcrump? How do you think the extreme cap would go with a G38 in it? Maybe the extra nose weight will help.... Are you guys running one or two Rx batteries? From what I have seen the major contributors to the snap is excessive elevator throws combined with very sharp movements of the elevator, and wing loading. If you keep these two things under control you should have a great flying plane.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 AM
TomCrump

I think a G38 would be fine. I plan on pulling the Moki after this season. I bought it to go into one of my scale projects I'll replace it with a US 41 gasser.

I'll get some updated pics later today. Right now, it's 6:00 AM. I haven't even had a cup of cpffee yet!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:00 AM
TomCrump

I forgot to answer your question about batteries. I plan on using a single 4.8 1800ma pack, run through an MPI switch.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:02 AM
RustyTumbles

I work shift work so I am up at strange hours.... I would have thought you would be using a little more battery power than one 1800mah pack. But I guess the servos you are using are not digitals? I always tend to err on the side of caution!! Can't have to much battery power......
Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 AM
TomCrump

No, I don't have digital servos. I've just barely joined the Digital Age by having a computer and camera.

I mounted the aileron servos this morning. The Cap assembly is moving quickly !
Old 04-12-2005, 01:40 PM
TomCrump

Here are some pics of where I'm at right now.

Name:	Nl29759.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	257382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41234.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	257383   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26116.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	257384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43015.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	257385  
Old 04-14-2005, 03:35 AM
cometravi

Hi,
My Minicraft/H9 1/4 CAP 232 has arrived as has the MVVS 1.60 gasser with the bisson pitts muffler.. Well that was the good part. Now its decision time and i would appreciate any help on the subject.... The reason for choosing the MVVS gas engine was two fold: I hate after flying cleaning and the Engine + Ignition + Bisson Muffler + Ignition Battery weighs only 42-oz (2.6 Lb, 1.19 Kg) which is very light and reportedly swings a APC 17 x 8 at 8000 rpm.

The guy who inspired me to use this set up has his construction notes on this page: http://home.flash.net/~jecramer/h9cap232_const.htm

Decision 1: One elevator servo or 2 servos? How much torque per servo if i go for 2 servos?
Decision 2: Pull - pull rudder? What torque?
Decision 3: Carbon fiber landing gear or regular landing gear?
Decision 4: Change the hinges to robart hinge points..?
Decision 5: Digital servos on ailerons? What torque?
Decision 6: I have the great plans kill switch..is it a good idea to use one?

Looking forward to your suggestions...
Old 04-14-2005, 04:45 AM
RustyTumbles

I would use two elevator servos as they tend to give a better control reponse than one. I would use something with around 7kg of torque.

A pull-pull setup on the rudder is also a good idea because you can put the elevator servos in the tail and the rudder up the front and still be able to balance without adding lead... For the rudder I would use a servo with 10 or more Kg of torque...

I think the standard gear will be fine, and aslo work as ballast (the cap is naturally tail heavy)

On the ailerons I would use servos with at least 4kg of torque...

Definately use a kill switch. You may need it someday! If you throttle rod comes loose you maybe flying for 30min before you run out of fuel. The kill switch gives you another way to stop the engine. Also a run away large gas model is very dangerous and a kill switch might just save someones limbs/life....

I would use digitals servo as the centre much better than analog servos and they are at full power from the moment you move the sticks. they are much faster than analog and your flying will improve when using them. Well mine has anyway!! The only downside to digitals is they use alot of battery power, so you need to have large capacity rx batteries. Which means more weight...

Don't use the CA hinges!!! Use the robart hinge points... They are much stronger than the CA type. The cap has large control surfaces so there will be alot of load on hinges and servos!!!

The engine choice is good, and should give you great performance. You may want to try an APC 18x6 wide blade prop for a little more vertical performance....

Personally I'm going to use a Zenoah G26. Which is a little heavier but about the same power.. And a little cheaper..
Old 04-14-2005, 06:47 PM
TomCrump

Since the Cap's cockpit is so visible, I thought I should add instrumentation.

Name:	Xv63809.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	258275  
Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Ron McGrath
My Feedback: (10)

I Have a Hanger 9 Cap 232 with a os 120 sp it weighs 12lbs 15 oz and a APC 17x6 that turns at 9500 rpm It is a good airplane but is on the heavy side I am adding a 72 inch yak 54 this year with the same power setup and it should weigh 10 to 10.5 lbs that is 2.5 to 3 lbs lighter and should be better for 3d and vertical if you are running a 17 or 18x 8 to 10 in the 8000 rpm range I would think that the cap might not fly real good.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:46 AM
RustyTumbles

The G38 in my extra turns an apc 18x8 wide blade at 8300, the plane is 16.5 pound and it will go vertical for a while before it slows to a hover for a few seconds then falls backwards into a tail slide. It great fun to do.. Have quite got the hang of the tail slide yet.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:22 AM
RustyTumbles

Howz everyone going with there caps? Any more build progress or flight reports? It will still be a while before I get mine, I have got lots of bills to pay. Although I saved myself $150 today when the muffler on my extra fell off. Everyone said I'll never find it but my trust border collie sniffed it out and found it..... I knew I took the dog for a reason!!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 04:39 AM
TomCrump

Glad that you found your muffler.

I'm being held up by $$$, too. Last week, I figured out that I needed to purchase a servo reversing Y Harness. It made elevator servo connection a lot easier. That set me back on getting the rest of the stuff that I need to finish the Cap, however.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:49 PM
beausol
My Feedback: (18)

Bigsport and Carlos,

I also have the H9 73" CAP-232. I bought it from my neighbor for $400 with a ZDZ-40 engine and all servos (although I ended up putting in better servos since the originals were way too under-torqued).

I know, I know....."A ZDZ-40????!!!!?? Holy COW!" Yeah, but the ZDZ is as light as the engines half its size and puts out power to spare. I haven't flown it yet (waiting for a nice calm day....hopefully Sunday afternoon), but am expecting it to hover easily as well as do outstanding scale aerobatics, which is what I love to do.

The servos that one of the previous owners put in it (there have been 3 owners before me, all of whom I know) were STANDARD Futaba S3004's and S3001's, both of which are rated at about 44 oz-in of torque. The previous owners didn't "fly the pants" off of it, but rather they liked the old "fly around the pea patch" style of flying....to which I say "If you're going to have an aerobat....fly the pants off of it!" I have a feeling my first good aileron roll would have broken those right off. So, I put in HiTec 645MG's on all the control surfaces. They are rated to about 107 oz-in of torque and have metal gears....shouldn't have a problem with those.

For $400, this plane was just a fun thing to have....I miss unlimited aerobatics since I totaled my 1/4 scale Extra 300S last summer. I have been flying my H9 1/4 scale Clipped Wing Taylorcraft since then and, while it is capable of cool looking scale aerobatics, it's just not an unlimited machine. I figure if something unfortunate happens to the CAP, the ZDZ-40 will slip nicely into a GP 1/3 scale Pitts or Christen Eagle.

I need to order a new cowling (old one has a huge hole in the side from a previous owner's 2-stroke glow engine), canopy (lots of cracks around the screw holes) and set of wheel pants (old ones broke off). I have a great looking scale pilot in there and once I get those other items, it will look awesome. I have a shopping cart put together at Horizon Hobby for those items, just need the $$$ to order them, should be soon hopefully.

Will give a flight report once I fly it, plus some pics.

--Rich
Old 04-28-2005, 09:12 PM
RustyTumbles

Cool!!! Sounds like a good setup, the ZDZ 40 will be a ton of power for the airframe. I would recomend inspecting the engine box on regular occasions, just to make sure it's not going to crack and fall off!!! The 645MG are a good choice, but if it was my I would use digitals. But I like the extra speed and precise centring of the digitals. I can't wait to see the pics!!

I saw a minicraft/h9 cap totally written off last weekend.... The owner was comming out of a spin (I think), we he pulled on the elevator and the plane snapped violently. He struggle with is for a few seconds before it smashed into the fence.. It has really put some concern in my mind as my first 40 size cap was lost in a similar way!! I not sure if I want a plane that will do that. I do try and fly smooth and scale like so I tend not to yank on the elevator, I also fly around 1-2 mistakes High so I have a bit off altitude to play with if something goes wrong. I'm still unsure if I want to continue with the project!!! I love caps and how they fly, I guess I don't want to loose a nice plane to something like that...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:26 AM
TomCrump

Bigsport

I don't plan on putting in extreme control throws on mine. It is my hope that this will minimize the snapping problem.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:15 PM
beausol

[Edited with smaller pictures....sorry....-Rich]

The firewall on my H9 CAP was reinforced to take the ZDZ 40....it's about 1/2" thick and heavily epoxied.

I don't plan to do 3D with mine....so my control throws will be pretty tame. I usually don't need a lot of elevator, but I like a lot of aileron. If the speed is kept up and the elevator isn't yanked back, snaps caused by accelerated tip stalls shouldn't be a problem.

I'll adjust my low rate to allow me to yank it back without snapping, and the high rate will be just a bit above that, but again, it will mostly be on the aileron. I'll give the rudder everything I can.....makes for better spins. Speaking of which, the guy you saw that lost his coming out of a spin started it too low. When I do spins with my Taylorcraft, I start VERY high and do no more than 5 turns, but usually about 3. Once I stop the rotation, I just have to EASE back on the elevator to recover, always at idle. However, when I do inverted spins in my Avistar 40, I start high and do as many rotations as possible and try to recover within about 50 feet of the ground. Usually I get somewhere between 10 and 15 turns in. Of course, I can yank back on the stick with that plane and not worry.

Here is my old 1/4 Scale Ohio RC Extra 300S. I was SO proud of the covering job....my first ever. Designed the scheme in RealFlight G2 and then put it on the actual model. It was always a hit at the local field on Saturdays. Flew AWESOME with an OS 1.60FX, but was trashed when both aileron servos stripped coming out of a 1/2 cuban eight (they were Futaba S3010's....not enough servo for the plane ).

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryimages/lg-3164.jpg]Click for fullsize[/link]

Here is a pic of my Taylorcraft. It's a very nice plane, and a huge hit at fly-in's and on Saturday mornings at the field. 85.5" span....flies beautiful with the OS 1.60FX out of my old Extra. Good aerobatics and beautiful landings.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryimages/lg-9684.jpg]Click for fullsize[/link]

Sorry the CAP one isn't too clear. You can see the gaping hole in the right side of the cowl from a previous owner's 2-stroke engine. I'll take more pics of it when I get it out to the field Sunday.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryimages/lg-16017.jpg]Click for fullsize[/link]

Hopefully going to fly the CAP Sunday afternoon. Supposed to be sunny, around 75 degrees, but with a 10-15mph wind, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Will let you know!

--Rich
Old 05-02-2005, 06:33 PM
beausol

Went to the field Sunday afternoon to try to fly the CAP. Winds were a steady 10-15kts....direct crosswind. Rather than kill my newest addition on my first flight with it, I decided to fly my trainer around the patch (have flown that in winds that most people would think twice about!), and run the CAP's ZDZ 40 for a bit.

The engine run went really well. Started like a champ and ran for a long time. Checked for interference from the ignition cable (last owner got frustrated with this and once I found the problem - a frayed ignition wire - I fixed it with aluminum foil and electrical tape).....and was able to walk 40 paces away (about 120 feet) with the TX antenna down and engine running with no jitter at all. Pointing the TX away from the plane at 40 paces resulted in some control surface jitter and some throttle transients. But all in all, the FREE fix worked great.

I also did some high speed taxi's down the runway....enough to get the tail up.....MAN, did she want to FLY! About 2-3 clicks on the throttle and she had enough speed to want to get airborne. Gotta love an engine that's twice the size of what it needs.

I'm chomping at the bit for a day with favorable winds.

I'll let you know when that happens.

Already looking at getting 1 or 2 more planes in the next couple of months. Wanting a small, inexpensive all-around fun plane to practice maneuvers with and just fly without too much worry. Will probably settle on the Pacific Aeromodels Edge 540T 40-size, with an OS 50SX in it. I already have the servos for it....just need the engine, receiver and battery and I'm good to go. May also get a fun electric plane, like the GWS 3D Tiger Moth.

Also, I'll DEFINITELY be getting one of those small digital cameras to put on my planes. Will be getting this one:

[link=http://www.microwireless.net/mc2.htm]Micro Cam 2[/link]

May get an extra camera and a 8 dB antenna also.

Want to put it in the CAP cockpit and do a lot of crazy acro.

--Rich

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.