Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

SIG Spacewalker aerobatics

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

SIG Spacewalker aerobatics

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 05:08 PM
GuyIncognito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SIG Spacewalker aerobatics

Improved Spacewalker aerobatics. I've always wanted to build a SIG 1/3 Spacewalker but would like a little better aerobatic capability. Any suggestions as to some small, rather unoticeable changes that could enhance it's performance but keep the scale appearance changes to a minimum- or maybe some big changes.

Oh and maybe some suggestions as to modernizing the construction a bit too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93851.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	253557  
Old 04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIG Spacewalker aerobatics

There is very little a Spacewalker can't do aerobatically barring some 3D moves. What do you have in mind? Reducing dihedral may help with knife-edge coupling, larger control surfaces will speed rotation along that axis. But why not just buy an aerobatic/IMAC/3D airplane to begin with?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:29 PM
GuyIncognito

That helps. I want it to do aerobatics a little more like an extra or an edge. The thing is it would look alot different than all the cookie cutter edges and extras. No 3D required - to me that really doesn't look scale. Less coupling would be nice but I don't know how much coupling the Spacewalker has.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:03 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I'm in a better mood today.
I like the Spacwalker too, but it will never be in the same class as a pure aerobatic plane. I fly a 90 size Chipmunk that will never place in IMAC. But it looks very graceful doing an Airshow type routine. The Spacewalker is very similar. In fact, it is a rewarding challenge to pull off smooth aerobatic routines with this type of aircraft. Just don't expect to pull off any extended knife edge maneuvers with a Spacewalker.

Put together an airshow routine and practice perfecting what the plane is capable of such as the "Basic" or "Sportsman" IMAC sequence. http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/57ad...scriptions.doc
People will notice and compliment you. Especially those that didn't think your plane was capable of great aerobatics.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:34 AM
GuyIncognito

That's very encouraging and very close to what I want to do. I love flying an old trainer and trying to eek out every last aerobatic capability out of it. it's a real change of pace. I think I will expariment with a FEW changes to the Spacewalker to give it a little better performance. It really is a neat looking plane. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:20 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

I'm building Sig Spacewalker II right now, I'm to the covering stage. I was thinking the same as you were Guy a few months ago but I ended up building it stock for the same reasons Warhwk mentioned. The plane is beautiful and I have enjoyed most of the build. Build it stock and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Agreed..larger control surfaces...less dihedral...take ailerons right to wing tip, larger rudder an elevators
Old 04-09-2005, 09:52 PM
swooper

I've been flying the Great Planes 78" Spacewalker for years and love its smooth, s-l-o-w aerobatics. When you get attuned to the plane's pacing, it's easy to connect scale-looking maneuvers. I think the Spacewalker's best feature is the confidence you get, knowing nothing surprising is going to happen. I've had lots of fun keeping the guys holding their breath with lots of inverted flying just off the deck.
That said, I'm building the 1/3 Sig and expecting very similar behavior but even more scale looking. I'd like to reduce that enormous wing for better roll rate. The best way to do it, I believe, would be to "bash" the Sig kit into a scale model of the Warner Sportster. It's basically a Spacewalker II fuselage with an elliptical wing shape. I think it would be a really great flyer and a unique scale model.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:33 PM
GuyIncognito

Oh, I like that (the Sportster) wing. That's the kind of idea I'm looking for. It cuts the wing down but keeps a nostalgic look that I like about the Spacewalker. Nice. I've been flying the spacewalker alot in Real Flight and know what you mean about the flying characteristics - it's addictive! Now what about that rudder?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18545.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	258331  
Old 04-14-2005, 09:38 PM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

For starters decrease the wing area. I have a stock sig so I know how it flys, and "floater" is the only word for it. Decrease the dihedral too, I've done this eve with my touch n go machine. Increase the size of the surfaces slightly for better performance and drop something in the 100cc range on the nose, preferably a DA100. You may have to shorten the nose a little bit to get it to balance, I did with a G-62, but it will fly aheuva lot better.

It'll never be a true aerobat but that'll do about as much as you can do. You may also want to replace those chintsy wing joiners with some real wing tubes if you are planning on doing any real G's.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
rcuser002
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

GuyIncognito,

I'm looking for the exact sort of landing gear you have on the Spacewalker in the picture you 1st posted.

I have a 1/4 size from GP and wonder if yours that's pictured is a Sig 1/3 and if they would fit on mine?

If they are custom built, who should I contact?

root