Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

How do you start your gas engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
Electric starter
12.02%
Bare hand
36.07%
Gloved hand
46.45%
Prop stick
5.46%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

How do you start your gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
ThankYouVeterans
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you start your gas engine?

I got popped on the hand this weekend when my 3W 75 spun back and tried to crank in reverse. No major injury, but definately scared me since this was only my second flight and exposure to cranking my engine.

I was wondering why guys almost always hand crank these engines.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: How do you start your gas engine?

Never had a a problem with my 3W-75i. Make sure the idle is low and throttle back to idle.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use a glove but now I just use my hand. I manage to spin the engine at a good clip and am clear of the propon the downward stroke. I know I'll get shwacked some time but in 100+ starts I havn't.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:50 PM
ThankYouVeterans

Well it is my fault it bit me. I failed to get my prop set at that two oclock position so all my force is going downward. I had the prop bolted on at the 3-6 position. The caused me to have difficulting getting a quick/hard flip through the compression stroke.

I learned a lesson and I learned that my finger is harder than the 3W 24x10 I was using. I broke the trailing edge of the prop, but my finger came out only bruised.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:45 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Prop mounted so compression starts at 1:00 position cranked CCW through compression stroke.... and NEVER wrap your fingers around the prop. I use 3 fingers laid flat on the prop, if it kicks my fingers simply slide off the blade.

I have had engines pop on me before, using this method I usuall avoid the pain of backlash!

DP
Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

my 3w 75 popped me too, on about the 5 or 6 flight. nothing was broken, but two of my fingers were swollen for almost a month. luckily a friend who was there is a doctor, so he was able to give it look for me. i now use a kevlar glove for starting my gas engines. i've been popped 2 or 3 times since, and i haven't even felt it with the kevlar glove. was the best purchase in this hobby so far.

tony
Old 04-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

The guy at our field that has a 3W 75 uses a chicken stick. Almost every time he starts it you hear a good "whack" on the stick!!

Yikes!!!!

I've always started my DA 100's and now my DA 150 with a bare hand. They've never kicked or even acted like they were going to hit my fingers. Until I saw and heard the guy with the 3W 75 and his chicken stick, I didn't even know it was an issue.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:36 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

One word-WELDING GLOVE!

We were gonna come over to winnsboro last weekend but wound up going to sharks field in shreveport to warm up for the holiday in dixie fly in, how did your guys fly-in work out?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

Gloves!!! Cheap insurance
Old 04-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Bass1

Desertpigs method is the way that we started our old Ringmasters and Flitestreaks.( never heard of an electric starter back then) Those ancient nylon props were as sharp as a razor. Never had a problem with the three finger slide, but did witness a few mishaps with guys wrapping their fingers around the prop. Maybe the combo of the welding glove and three finger slide is a good thing.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:41 AM
buyrbware

I always have my ex-wife start mine. Hoping someday it will kick back take her hand then jump the hold downs and the plane will come over on top of her.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Don't forget to use a restraint on your plane. I forgot to attach mine last week. When the G26 started, it came right at me and the prop it my hand. In my normal startup mode, the first thing I do is pull the plane tight against the restraint, but this time I obviously didn't. Fortunately I was wearing a pad glove because the prop hit my hand. The only harm done was to my pride.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:13 AM
ThankYouVeterans

Thanks for the help guys.

FormerCA, the flyin went great. There were about 10 40% planes present. The weather was beautiful minus the brisk breeze, but the wind was very managable.

Where can you buy a kevlar glove to start it with.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I always use a glove.
That way if my hand gets wacked I can always find my fingers!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:04 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: buyrbware

I always have my ex-wife start mine. Hoping someday it will kick back take her hand then jump the hold downs and the plane will come over on top of her.
LOL. Lewis Grizzard was a columnist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

He wrote one time that if he ever felt like getting married again he was "just gonna find a woman I don't like and buy her a house".

BTW I start mine with a bare hand unless I am using a 3 blade prop, then I wear a glove. That closely following blade caught the fingernail on me pinkey a few times, geeze that hurt.

TF
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

The picture below shows how I start large gassers.
Restraint is of top importance followed by a strong flip and follow through on the prop. Never be tenative when cranking. Flip the prop like you are going to break the blade off.
I do use a glove on the large composites because the trailing edges are thinner than their wooden counterparts.
Also do not get caught up in chain flipping like some people do smaller glow engines. That can put your hand back in the prop arc just about the time it starts running.

ORIGINAL: ThankYouVeterans

I got popped on the hand this weekend when my 3W 75 spun back and tried to crank in reverse. No major injury, but definately scared me since this was only my second flight and exposure to cranking my engine.

I was wondering why guys almost always hand crank these engines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78564.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	257355  
Old 04-12-2005, 05:05 PM
ThankYouVeterans

Nice bearcat
Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

Don't need a kevlar glove-a garden variety welding glove will do.

I work in the Emergency room at large hospital in Shreveport----trust me when I say----USE A GLOVE!!!!

Hey Vets, I wish we would have made it over--be sure and send us an invite--we'll bring the ultimates.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:20 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the heavy glove, myself; as much padding between me and the prop as possible. I don't have a problem with kick-back, spring starters are nice for that. I. too, work in a hospital, in the O.R. I've seen more power saw injuries in 22 years than I care to think about, and these big gas engines with 20+ inch props have as much kinetic energy behind them as a skilsaw or table saw. No matter how good the surgeon's skill, reattached fingers never seem to work as well as the originals[]
Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
ten pillows

I have 3 gassers. Two DA's and a BME. All of them I use just a leather glove on. My three longest fingers go ONLY on the outside front surface of prop. A nice flip works well. My hand NEVER is in the arc of the prop. I am getting used to starting them now, but believe me, they scared the dickens out of me at first. A friend had a 3W75 and it kicked back on him and cut 3 fingers. Stitches were required. A word of caution... keep a well supplied first-aid bag available at the field. Mine has been used, to aid other flyers, twice in 10 months. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if you do it's darn handy to have one! The outer curve on the front of the blade is all I put pressure on. Try it, it works great.

ten pillows
Old 04-14-2005, 12:20 AM
boom3

I just got my first gasser, a 28% wild hare egde-540 with a DA-50. I stand behind the wing, straddle the fuslage and flip the prop with my left hand in a leather glove. I have my transmitter off to the side within my reach and my right hand either on the leading edge of the wing or on the front part of the canopy. I saw a video of a guy doing it this way and it just makes a lot of sense to me and is easy on my plane. I'm not sure how it would be on bigger planes.

I've seen people slip when starting, and even start them full throttle on the wrong model. Everyone makes mistakes eventually, and when I do, I'll be glad I'm standing behind the prop.

Other than the guy on the video, I am the only one I know that does it this way. Have you guys seen others? What do you think about starting planes this way?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:11 AM
jbflier

Sears 19V cordless drill with a Miller cup attached. Spins my G-62 effortlessly...................
Old 04-14-2005, 05:16 AM
rcdart

Use a glove, and always flip the prop like it is going to start, even when chokeing the engine. After a career involved with 1:1 scale aicraft the golden rule is the prop is always live no matter if the ignition is OFF

Mick
Old 04-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I tired it this way once and never got the plane started.
Must be left handed to get it to work right.
ORIGINAL: boom3

I just got my first gasser, a 28% wild hare egde-540 with a DA-50. I stand behind the wing, straddle the fuslage and flip the prop with my left hand in a leather glove. I have my transmitter off to the side within my reach and my right hand either on the leading edge of the wing or on the front part of the canopy. I saw a video of a guy doing it this way and it just makes a lot of sense to me and is easy on my plane. I'm not sure how it would be on bigger planes.

I've seen people slip when starting, and even start them full throttle on the wrong model. Everyone makes mistakes eventually, and when I do, I'll be glad I'm standing behind the prop.

Other than the guy on the video, I am the only one I know that does it this way. Have you guys seen others? What do you think about starting planes this way?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: boom3

Hmm... that sounds like a good idea, especiallly since I am a leftie! I'm gonna give that a try.

All my engines (gas or glow) have the prop coming onto compression at 9-3 o'clock. I do the 3-finger slide too on the left blade with my left (dominant) hand, and flip downward and to the right. The natural tendency of my arm in this motion is to arc back toward me and away from the prop. Downward arm swing is much more powerful and natural than a sideways or upward arm swing. This is one of the few advantages of being a leftie.

Still, some gas engines just likes to kick back. Even with a heavy leather glove, a prop wack hurts like heck. For those, I'd rather break out a starter and let the electrons do the work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.