Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Pete's spinners

Old 04-18-2005, 10:04 AM
3D Joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pete's spinners

For those of you who use them, how do you like them ??

They seem to be cheap, they are the lightest, and they are available fast.

How do they hold up over time ?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:55 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Pete's spinners

I have purchased two 4 inch or 4.5 inch spinners from Pete. The first one (my first experience with CF spinner) lasted about 20 seconds before flying off and destroying itself. I had read that if you overtighten the 6 screws, they can be difficult to remove. But you really do need to tighten them and I now use loctite also. Not had a problem since then. It is like flying around with an eggshell on the front of the plane. Any hard bump will destroy it (as compared to a heavier tru-turn or dave brown aluminum).
Old 04-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

My experience has been a little different, not to discount DMcQuinn.
I have had to drill out several of the screws because the allen key stripped. Now I just get them snug and have not had a problem - I own 3, two 4.5", (one 3 blade, one 2 blade) and one 3". The 3" onle has 2 screws to hold it, the 4.5" has 6 screws. The 3" has spent a lot of time under and electric starter and shows no sign of wear like you see on the aluminum ones. I have found that while attached they are quite strong - take them off and add load in a direction they weren't intended, and I can see them comming apart. Overall, I'm very happy with them.

Roger
Old 04-18-2005, 09:16 PM
jgroumy
My Feedback: (1)

Been flying a 4" Pete spinner for 3 years now, never had a problem. The allen heads tend to strip if you're not careful, but he includes extra screws with each spinner. Plus, they're standard 4-40 size anyway.

JG
Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

Do not know anything about Pete's spinners. Where can you purchase them?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 AM
3D Joy

[link=http://www.geocities.com/pierrejac/cf-spinner.htm]Pete models[/link]

On [link=http://www.scaleaerobatics.com/articles/pete-models/spinners.aspx]Scale aerobatics.com[/link] you can find a review of these spinners. They seemed to like them...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:57 PM
jgroumy

rcshowcase.com carries them also in the US
Old 04-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have had one for 400+ flights on my Cap.
I have replaced the screws several times and use slotted stainless screws. They are $2 for a pack of 5 at home depot. I keep several packs and when they get buggered up, I just replace them. I have had my plane noise over in the mud with no damage. THe entire 24lbs of the plane was sliding in the mud on the spinner with NO damage
I like it!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I have two of them... same problems as everyone else.. the screws suck.. the allen heads strip out very easily (way too small for the application in my opinion..) I used blue loctite and had to use the dremel to slot every one of them and use a soldering iron to apply heat in order to get them out. ROYAL PITA!! I bought a bunch of spare screws and now when I take off the spinner - I toss any that look bad and use new ones. I also never use loctite.. just keep an eye on them in between flights.. no issues so far after many flights.

I also have one Mezjlik carbon spinner I bought from DA.. they use much larger screws and overall this spinner is much sturdier and much easier to remove for maintenance. If I were to go CF again, I would definitely go with the Mezjliks...

Funny thing though - 9 times out of 10 I have needed NOSEWEIGHT so lately most of my planes are getting AL spinners.
DP
Old 04-22-2005, 12:31 AM
A320driver

I have a 4 1/2 inch Pete's spinner on the front of my Extra. Swapped out the screws for socket head 4-40 bolts, never had another problem. As for the spinners being "like egg shells", my plane came loose in the trailer once, no damage to the spinner, just one rather nice hole in the plywood that lines the interior of my trailer.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

I have two of these spinners and they are great but I have also had the same problems with the allen screws. I usually take as many out as I can with an allen wrench but there are always a few that I have to take a cutting wheel on the dremel to slot them and remove them with a flat head screw driver.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Mr.Burns

They look great, are light, and for me, have stood up EXTREMELY well!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42998.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	262076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80588.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	262077  
Old 04-23-2005, 08:58 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

Looks great! Screws are a pain!!! And it only weighs 9 grams less than the same size Tru-turn that I also have. So.....

I must add though that the one I have is only a 3.5". The weight difference may be greater with the larger models.