Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 New post for Composite ARF 2.6M Yak >

New post for Composite ARF 2.6M Yak

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New post for Composite ARF 2.6M Yak

Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New post for Composite ARF 2.6M Yak

Hello!

I ordered by 2.6m Comp ARF Yak today from Mr. Andy Kane. We were discussing engines such as the DA-100 and ZDZ 100. I have no experience with ZDZ and I was wanting an opinion of the engine and the company. The ZDZ unit seems to be lighter which I like but that is all I know at this point. Any info is appreciated.

Also a while back in another thread a gentlemen indicated that he had found someone that might be able to produce the cowl louvers that would be aready cut out. If not then I will just do as the manual says.

Any advice on this plane would be greatly appreciated whether it's about building, hardware, etc...

Many Thanks,

Perry
Old 04-19-2005, 02:53 AM

Default RE: New post for Composite ARF 2.6M Yak

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm Look here for fibre glass louvres. As for the DA v ZDZ the yak appears to come out a little tail heavy so why go for a lighter engine? Stick with what you know, get the DA and great service just my $0.02
Old 04-19-2005, 06:53 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Most come out tail heavy, so I would go for the heavier engine. You can't go wrong with the 3W or DA twins. Scott
Old 04-19-2005, 07:39 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Perry;
Light engines are not an issue (I'm not sure why people would say that). Many people have built this YAK very light i.e. 24lbs or less.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

DA all the way!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:56 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Hi Perry.....You can listen to The DA fans and jump off the same bridge, or you can do a search for yourself on all other engines.You will find that ALL other engines are as good as DA some possibly better.They all have pros and cons.Look into ZDZ-BME-MVVS-3W-FPE-BRISON-FOX-DA.I have owned many of these engines and everyone is as good as the other.As far as service goes,I think DA wins there,but I have found that you will probably never need it anything short of a crash.

JMO
Old 04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Perry I personally do not believe all engines are created equal, but that is besides the point. The ZDZ will require you to cut a hole in the firewall and setting up the carb linkages is just a flat out pain in the *****. We are going through that with a ZDZ80B2 twin on a 2.3....the choke linkage is proving a difficult. plus just getting to the needles is a little more of a hassle than a bottom mounted carb. But for me it honestly comes down to service and Desert Aircraft is the benchmark plain and simple. Those guys go so far out of the way for their customers it's amazing. To say that any of these engines doesn't need service unless they are crashed is simply not the case...even the best of the best do occasionally have an issue, so how your treated after the sale is in my eyes the true measure of a company's worth. Based on my experience I will always own Desert Aircraft Engines for all my planes.

PaulP
"Leardriver"
Old 04-19-2005, 11:20 AM
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: PTS

Hello!

I ordered by 2.6m Comp ARF Yak today from Mr. Andy Kane. We were discussing engines such as the DA-100 and ZDZ 100. I have no experience with ZDZ and I was wanting an opinion of the engine and the company. The ZDZ unit seems to be lighter which I like but that is all I know at this point. Any info is appreciated.

Also a while back in another thread a gentlemen indicated that he had found someone that might be able to produce the cowl louvers that would be aready cut out. If not then I will just do as the manual says.

Any advice on this plane would be greatly appreciated whether it's about building, hardware, etc...

Many Thanks,

Perry
I have the 2.6 YAK.... Over 70 flights...DA100, MTW Cannisters, Hitec 5945's on all control surfaces, Duralite batteries. Weight 24.7lbs....Dry...

Buy the DA100, will be the easiest install you have even done...Requires no standoffs, just a thick washer and that's plenty of clearance. I have cannisters on mine, if you decide to go that way, make sure you get the flex headers from DA, Brian at DA can send you exactly what you need. Throttle linkage is easy to setup, per instructions.

Louvers are easy, just have a bunch of new exacto blades handy and use a new blade on each louver, they are easy to cut out...Don't need a dremel...

You can use all the stock hardware, or go with H9 Titanium links, and dubro heavy duty clevis and ball links and SWB servo arms.

Go with a 40 o.z tank, you will need it...The YAK is not a fast airplane, in fact it's a BIG AIR DAM!!!

The stock dual rudder tray is all you need for this plane, the SWB tray is not needed, just an extra exspense.

If you want the best website for building your YAK, go here... http://www.composite-arf.co.uk <<<< that's the UK CA site...He has a building page setup for the YAK... One thing to make sure you do.. Make the gas tank tray removable...There are instructions there on how to do it.

If you need any help, feel free to PM me here on RCU, I'll be happy to help you out.

One last thing... Don't listen to any of these yahoos about weight concerns of the 2.6 YAK..Build it per the instructions, use plenty of epoxy with micro fiber....

And most important!!! ENJOY IT!!! I can promise you will.....

Here are some videos of mine...

http://www.flyingcrazy.com/media/video/yak2.wmv

http://www.flyingcrazy.com/media/video/yak3.wmv

http://www.flyingcrazy.com/media/video/yak_ke_loop.wmv
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 PM
PTS

Hello Mokken!

I appreciate your willingness to help! I will definitely be calling upon you for assistance as I want make absolute sure decisions about my Yak. You had mentioned using H9 titanium links, Dubro H.D. Clevis and Ball links, SWB servo arms, and a 40 oz tank. If you dont mind can you specify the part#'s of those components.

Thanks,

Perry
Old 04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
PTS

Oops!

What is a good source for parts and building suuplies for Giant Scale?

Perry
Old 04-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Dubro Fuel Tank 120cc 40 oz. - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD725&P=7 - Fuel Tank

Dubro Heavy Duty Ball Links 4-40 (12) - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFPW8&P=7 - Ball Links for 'Servo Side"

SWB Servo Arms - 1.5" for all Control Surfaces - Double Loc... Just call SWB and he will set you up..He knows exactly what you need. He will try and sell you the servo tray, you must resist!!! (seriously though, it's not needed, and it just makes for additional work that you don't need to perform)

SWB Website - http://www.swbmfg.com/

Dubro Safety Lock Kwik Link 4-40 (12) - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWH35&P=7 - H.D Clevis for "Control Horn Side"

I can't remember the link size for H9 linkage, I'll have to find out.

Hello Mokken!

I appreciate your willingness to help! I will definitely be calling upon you for assistance as I want make absolute sure decisions about my Yak. You had mentioned using H9 titanium links, Dubro H.D. Clevis and Ball links, SWB servo arms, and a 40 oz tank. If you dont mind can you specify the part#'s of those components.

Thanks,

Perry
Old 04-19-2005, 04:11 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Perry,

You also have the option of using a 3W 106. Mounts directly to the fire wall with fender washers as spacer and throttle/ choke set up is very easy. I have this setup and the combo is excellent. Weight is not an issue with this plane, mine came in at 24.5lbs. If you are interested I have a short (15 second) video clip I can email you of this combo...Jonas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19509.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	260210  
Old 04-19-2005, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I just wish people would rate the engines in performance, and not just because they own that type. I fly only 3W, and they are great engines, but I also acknowledge DA engines as being great, even though I don't own one. The benchmark twins are definately 3W or DA. There are others, but 3W and DA are the best out there. I have had 9 3W's over the last 8 years, and never needed service. If properly run, and cared for, 3W's or DA's rarely need service, except for repairs after crashes. Scott
Old 04-20-2005, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: jsm77777

I just wish people would rate the engines in performance, and not just because they own that type. I fly only 3W, and they are great engines, but I also acknowledge DA engines as being great, even though I don't own one. The benchmark twins are definately 3W or DA. There are others, but 3W and DA are the best out there. I have had 9 3W's over the last 8 years, and never needed service. If properly run, and cared for, 3W's or DA's rarely need service, except for repairs after crashes. Scott
I agree....

Old 04-20-2005, 02:54 PM

I posted some video of my second flight on mine not realizing that thispost was up, so here it is again with my set-up

ZDZ 80 on custom built can
5995's on ailerons
5995 on rudder
5945's on elevator's
4000mah lipo for servo and reciever power
1200 mah nicad for ignition
weight 21 pounds 10 oz

balance point was about an inch behind wing tube but still flys incredible, any on ethinking about getting one should, the only thing i have found to be a little dissapointing is teh wing rock in upright harrier, so far no one has solved that little quirk, but that is the only thing i would change

http://target.unknownsoldiers.us/Bills%20Yak.mpg
Old 04-20-2005, 03:03 PM

Lateral balance will fix it, I'm just to lazy...Mine drops the right wing when we balance laterally..
ORIGINAL: WILDMAN 420

I posted some video of my second flight on mine not realizing that thispost was up, so here it is again with my set-up

ZDZ 80 on custom built can
5995's on ailerons
5995 on rudder
5945's on elevator's
4000mah lipo for servo and reciever power
1200 mah nicad for ignition
weight 21 pounds 10 oz

balance point was about an inch behind wing tube but still flys incredible, any on ethinking about getting one should, the only thing i have found to be a little dissapointing is teh wing rock in upright harrier, so far no one has solved that little quirk, but that is the only thing i would change

http://target.unknownsoldiers.us/Bills%20Yak.mpg
Old 04-20-2005, 03:09 PM
RTK

Let the flaming begin, I have my suit on.

Nothing Lighter than the BME 110 in it's class. It is worth considering.

Hello!

Many Thanks,

Perry

I have owned a few engines. I feel the BME 110 is better than 3w's or DA's 100cc class engine. Two lbs lighter, balances in a comp-arf 2.6 extra ( no extra wt. added), runs smooth, powerful, and last but not least. BME service IS fine. Just send in your engine with an explanation and it will be fixed.

This is just my opinion and everyone has there own. All are good engines though.

ORIGINAL: jsm77777

Old 04-20-2005, 06:42 PM
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wildman 420 in your setup you state 5995's on ailerons do you have 1 5955 per aileron or 2 5995 per aileron? I'm building mine and am going to be using one 5995 per aileron. If there are 2.6 yak owners currently flying with one servo per aileron how about a progress report. Anyproblems?
thanks
Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are 2.6m extra's with single 8611's on the wings, so no reason the yak shouldnt work as well.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike3579

Wildman 420 in your setup you state 5995's on ailerons do you have 1 5955 per aileron or 2 5995 per aileron? I'm building mine and am going to be using one 5995 per aileron. If there are 2.6 yak owners currently flying with one servo per aileron how about a progress report. Anyproblems?
thanks
Mike
If I had to do it all over I would put a single 8611 on each aileron.

The main thing to consider when doing that is not weight but just saving some money.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Just be aware that whilst one aileron servo may work you are a)rapidly increasing wear and tear on the servo gear train and b)going against C-ARF's recommendations should you have any form of mishap!

Not bashing anything - I'd love to save weight and money too!! Just food for thought though.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 04-22-2005, 02:25 AM
My Feedback: (5)

I am still using a single 5945 on my ailerons, and after a year the preformance and the servo's are still holding up great!

KISS!

It works!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:37 AM

Darrinc , good to here your plane is still going strong . You probably dont remember
but I asked you some questions re your setup on another post some time ago.
Well in the end I used it for my 2.3 extra , the plane now has 60 odd flights
on it and there have been no problems at all .
The servo power is fantastic , she snaps and stops on a dime and the point rolls
are as good as my pattern plane .
I have just started to use LiPo for the ign battery (1500 2S) and I will swap
my flight pack over in a month or so .
As you say "KISS" and there is very little that can go wrong .

Thanks Stu

Old 04-22-2005, 08:41 AM

Mike, i am running just a single 5995 per aileron, and runniing 7.4 volts to them, As for the wear on the gears the 5995's are titanium gear train, wear i don't think should be a problem.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:55 PM
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wildman How are you getting 7.2 volts to the servo's I didn't think a reciever could handle that? Are you using a power box?

Darrinc glad to hear you have had no problems with your plane makes me feel better!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.