Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

oh the stench...

Old 12-29-2001, 06:02 PM
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oh the stench...

I'm contemplating my first gasser, but the first thing that comes to mind is the stench of gas and the danger of fumes. I store my models in my basement workshop. Would the odor of gas start to penetrate my house? Is it really smart [read safe] to have a gas airplane in the house?

How and where do you guys store your gas airplanes?
Old 12-29-2001, 06:28 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gasser's

If you drain the fuel from the tank, install a method of plugging the fuel fill and vent lines, such as fuel dot or similar there is little to no fuel odor considerations.

I transport my 40% aircraft in my van and never have an odor to deal with. I also keep the models inside my shop, home, trailer, motorhome, warehouse and storage unit with nary a concern to the smell or odor from the gasoline...

If anything the fuel canisters or cans, will be the enterprising culprit with obnoxious odors...
Old 12-30-2001, 04:08 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh the stench...

I keep mine in my garage. No fumes to speak of.

When I am transporting my plane in the car I do smell the fumes. I just keep the windows down to keep from getting high.....
Old 12-30-2001, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default oh the stench...

Some people (not me) use Coleman fuel (white gas) because it is relatively odorless compared to gasoline. Most small gasoline engines run fine on this low-octane fuel because of the very small bore size and resistance to detonation. Another choice is aviation gas 100-LL, which has quite a bit of lead in it and may do some lead fouling of your plugs.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:35 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default re: gas fumes

I've been flying gas since the late 70's and I've never had a problem with the odor of gas. When transporting I empty the plane's tank and I plug the vent line. Also, make sure the can you're transporting gas in seals very well.

At one point I was transporting my planes in my wife's new Landcruiser, and on top of that she is cursed with an extremely sensitive nose, and she never once complained, and believe me she would have if she had smelled even the slightest hint of gas smell. Of course the same goes for the house. Keep it sealed tightly and you won't have any problems with smell. As far as safety, just use common sense and keep it away from the furnace, or welding torch, and you'll be fine.

Bill
Old 12-31-2001, 12:15 AM
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oh the stench...

Thanks for the input guys... that kinda puts my mind at ease with regards to that concern of mine.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:05 PM

Default Smell

I store my gas-powered model in my shop and there is never an odor. Just be sure the tank is drained and there's no gas dripping, etc.
Greg
Old 01-04-2002, 05:55 PM

Default oh the stench...

I store my gassers in the garage. I don't think the house is a good place to put anything with gas, what if the tank started to leak and you didn't catch it in time. It takes a teaspoon of gas to destroy a house.

Chances are nothing will ever happen but it just takes one time, one mistake.

I do plug all lines even in the garage.

Paul
Old 01-05-2002, 01:41 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Stench?

Stench.... I love the smell of a Gasser.... especially when it is hovering right in front of you and you can feel the prop blast blowing in your face...

Now glow... that stinks and burns your eyes and even leaves a nasty taste in your mouth if you breath it..... Nasty goo on your plane too....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	597_656.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1090  
Old 01-05-2002, 02:01 AM

Default bean.

Do I see a little elev/flapperon mixing?

Do you need it for high-alpha?

Just wondering...
Old 01-05-2002, 03:23 AM

Default No mix

No flaperon mixing. You can use it and some do but I don't have any set up. My buudy has it set on his 40% Carden Edge and it will drop like a rock in an Elevator. The downside is that if you get into your ailerons you will rip them out. You set them in full up ailerons on both sides. I just worry too much about the ol' dumb thumb....

One beautiful thing about the Radiocraft.... You can always bring it in close to check out the fuel tank...
Old 01-05-2002, 03:26 AM

Default Are you sure???

It really does look like you've got some flapperons going on there in the above pic.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:36 AM

Default look closer

If you look closer - the right is up and the left is down. It is just trying to stop the torque and lock into a hover.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Are you sure???

Originally posted by Chris 540
It really does look like you've got some flapperons going on there in the above pic.
Hey Bean.

When I first saw the pic it looked like they were both down. Now that you basically said to look again I can see that the right is up. Hard to tell at first glance.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:01 AM
JBH
Banned

Default oh the stench...

He might be setup with flaperons... but you can't see any evidence of spoilerons. :-)

Now if you want to see a guy with too much spoileron dialed in... check me out in the attached pic... I'm running about 1/3 of that amount now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5167_26.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1091  
Old 01-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default back on topic.........

I use Coleman fuel. Never seen any difference between the Coleman and Gasoline except the price.

Use the same OIl mix ratio as specified by the manufacturer.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:36 PM
Banned

Default Stench?

A lot of good answers,but no one mentioned the exhaust, plug the muffler outlet(s) as well and you will have no fumes to worry about or anything dripping to clean up.----BladeRunner.