Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

QQ 102" Yak - Discussion and Build thread

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

QQ 102" Yak - Discussion and Build thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:59 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QQ 102" Yak - Discussion and Build thread

Ok Y'all now that we all have our Yaks on the way I thought I would put up a discussion thread so we all can get our configurations on track and share our building experiences. I have to say that after hearing from QQ and Wayne I am really really excited about this build.

After a lot of discussion, and after getting QQ's and Waynes ideas... they are highly confident that the parts and accessories supplied are of excellent quality and that I won't want to replace them (i.e. gear, tailwheel, tubes, etc) QQ has also assured that his engine combo really rocks the house. It might be just a tad heavier than a DA on cans, but it will in no way effect the handling or landing speeds and will produce 15% more available thrust on a 3 blade prop than the 100. The consensus is that the BME may be too light.. especially without the cans. It might require some radical shifting of equipment or even added nose weight... although that engine was very attractive as well .. as was the DA. I have had very good luck with 3W though, and I know Bobby well so it was hard to deviate from my past habits!

Soooo taking that into consideration - I have committed to the following setup:

The Yak ... Can you say SaaaWeeeeT

3W QQ106B2 Engine
3W-MS cannisters , not the M cans suggested in the manual
Custom Headers (I will make them myself to the same dimensions QQ used, although 3W is supposed to be coming out with a specific header fit just for this plane very soon ..cool!)
Single JR 955 RX
Powerbox 40/24 Li-Ion power system
Fromeco 2400 Dual pack (Custom, for powerbox)
Fromeco 2400 Ignition + smart-fly 6V regulator
RCATS fiber optic cut-off
SWB 1 1/4 Dual Loc Single side Servo Arms (surfaces)
SWB 1 1/4 Dial Loc Dual side Servo Arms (rudder pull-pull)
Du Bro #913 Giant adjustable horns (I just don't feel comfortable glueing screws into wood as the only horn attachement!)
Du Bro #882 pull-pull horn
I will use the cable supplied in the kit
Sullivan Skylite 4" wheels
Mezjlik 3 blade prop and 4.5" CF Spinner (need the light weight up front this timel) I will most likely paint the spinner Yellow to match the plane.

I will be using 8611s all around and 3 matchboxes - 4 ailerons, 2 elevators, 2 rudder, and a single Hitec mega-mini-digi on throttle.

I decided to go with the can setup this time 'cuz I am tired of everyone whining to me about having the loudest plane at the field besides the engine makes a good amount more power with the cans so its a win-win. The weight penalty is less than 9 oz... not too bad.

Anyway.. I just wanted to get this started so we all can compare configs and notes while we put this beast together! I will be documenting my build and first flights for a full review in the RCU magazine editorial. If you think of it - take some good pictures of your DA and BME setups so I can show different configurations!

Gonna be fun!!!!
DP

** Edit ** - changed config to 8611s, and Dubro horns and SWB arms.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:38 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: QQ 102" Yak - Discussion and Build thread

Sounds good, on one note, the QS is not heavier than a DA, they weigh the same (I think the QS might even be an ounce lighter than the DA)
Old 04-29-2005, 03:44 PM
famousdave

Yeah I found that out too.. the reason for the heavier tally was the all-out weight and that included the 3W cannister mount system. Since this plane does not need that you are right.. it either the same or lighter but more power..! I like that.

DP
Old 04-29-2005, 04:56 PM
flyinrazrback

BME 110 = light and more power
Old 04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
famousdave

I love the 110, and I was nearly ready to jump on it but installed in the Yak it might actually be too light! If I have to jam everything forward and add weight it defeats the purpose..well I guess not really.. the engine still makes more power! Anyway Wayne said the plane balances out perfectly with the 3W106 and mufflers, and is a tad nose heavy with the cans so putting the batteries a little further back in the electronics bay was needed to balance. Taking that into account, removing 2-2.5 pounds from the nose means tail heavy to me.. been there done that.. never again! I want easy access to all my electronics on this bird!

ARFs are notoriously tail heavy and while I expect this one to be better than most, I am sure the weight of the 3W or DA will be needed up front. Now if it had a moveable wing tube maybe that would cure it... !

That is one killer engine. I was hoping to try it, but the QQ is very nice too, nearly the same power as the 110 just weighs more!
DP
Old 04-29-2005, 05:50 PM
flyinrazrback

Remember, my 110 with cans, headers, etc, weighs what a regular 106 or DA weighs, and means no balance problem , thats the point behind the 110, use cans and it still is a few ounces lighter than a da or 3w. I was going to go with the 106, but I didnt feel like making custom headers for the engine.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:12 PM
famousdave

I hear you.. I guess we are going to see what shakes out when we get our hands on it!! Bobby at Cactus is checking with QQ - 3W is supposed to be making a special header for this setup and there might be some available.. same price as the others.

It appears the KS header or maybe even the flex header might work. Bobby said he'd send me a bunch of stuff to see what works. I will have more than enough time to mess with it.. the engine and the plane will be here shortly and I haven't even thought about ordering the other stuff yet! As a last resort I have access to a top-line MIG welder so making my own from the 3W piece parts is always an option...

I'm 2 hours away from any parts or service I need so that makes a diff too.

I can't wait to see how all the configurations work out.

DP
Old 04-29-2005, 08:49 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Will be using a DA 100 with standard muffs on mine. 8611's on the rudder, and 5945's on the rest of the plane. Would like to maybe try some fromoco li-ons in this plane as well instead of the Nimh batts I have used in the past. I will also be using a 28-10 mejilick prop, what 3 blade will you guys be using??
Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 PM
famousdave

I got a message from Wayne today .. he said he set up the plane to have flexible configuration so the BME should work just fine simply by shifting the batts all the way forward. ! Looks like I was worried over nothing. No regrets on the 106QQ though.

So we have a 3W QQ106, a BME 110, and a DA100 so far. Anyone using another engine??

Since this is a round cowl plane with a ton of surface area.. . what about baffling ? I would think its not really needed, but I was thinking it would look really cool with a radial motor dummy with some baffles.. Hempel did this on his big QQ 3W Yak and it looked awesome!

DP
Old 04-29-2005, 11:08 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

There is already a little baffling done for you. They only cut out the center of the cowl opening with the top and bottom left in and painted black. Only your cylinders should show. Bills yak was the 37% and comes with the Dummy engine already cut out and screened for the baffling. You guys are going to love these birds.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:20 PM
rcavi8ter

Here is a pic after a couple hours the first night. You can see the cowl cut outs. That is how they come and should work for any twin. I was thinking of going extremely light and trying a ZDZ 80 Single on a can if I decide to do one.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91462.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	264858  
Old 04-30-2005, 12:46 PM
famousdave

The more pics I see the more anxious I get... that is one work of art!

DP
Old 04-30-2005, 05:51 PM
flyinrazrback

I feel you desert, I cant wait for mine, I hope they ship it this week so I have by the weekend, otherwise it will be even the following weekend before I can drop it off at the builder []
Old 04-30-2005, 08:35 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I correct that the QQ102 comes with still pinned plastic hinges? If so, is there anything special to installing them. I.e., do they need to be pinned, etc. I've never used them; actually never liked them.

Also, what is the wing retention method. I just read something that indicated they are held on by wire clips through the antirotation pins only.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:25 AM
rcavi8ter

The hinges are flat pin style hinges. They are preslotted and seem to be nice hinges. The have little barbs to help from pulling out. I used Zap Hinge glue which gives good working time, water clean up and strong bond. As for the wing retention there are two al. anti rotation pins that have holes in them and then there are clips that go through those. I don't remember if there are also wing bolts but I think there are. If not I will be adding 1/4-20 to each side and the clips will just be back up.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:12 AM
flyinrazrback

rcavi8ter, sent you a pm about a canopy question
Old 05-01-2005, 01:49 PM
famousdave

Chris - can you post some pictures so we can see as well as hear your experience so far !

Thanks, DP
Old 05-01-2005, 03:25 PM
capthis

Yeah how bout sum pics???
Old 05-01-2005, 04:09 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what the specific Ultracoat colors used in the QQ102? thanks.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:27 PM
RC330LXFlya
My Feedback: (3)

Hello, I noticed on the web site it says it comes with the carbon fiber rudder servo horn extention, but the instructions say to get G10 from McMaster Carr and make your own. So which one is it[]?

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
capthis

ORIGINAL: splais

Does anyone know what the specific Ultracoat colors used in the QQ102? thanks.

Yeah Purdy one's!

I will prolly seal the bottom of the hinge gaps with clear so hopefully I won't need to know the colors! [8D]

Old 05-01-2005, 07:26 PM
flyinrazrback

I got me an idea....I was reading the info on the mvvs 116, weighs only a little bit more than a 3w 106w/cans, and was thinking of stuffing one in my QQ yak when it arrives. QQ said I believe his was 26.5lbs with 106 w/cans, and if the mvvs weighs 5oz more, I can get the same weight of 26.5lbs with the mvvs, by changing to a cf spinner. I am curious to try one of these, what do you guys think?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:44 PM
capthis

GO for it dude! Should have ridiculous power. I will stay with my plain ole DA! [8D]
Old 05-01-2005, 08:26 PM
flyinrazrback

I am going to get one, will be the oddball lol
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
ballistic1
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: RC330LXFlya

Hello, I noticed on the web site it says it comes with the carbon fiber rudder servo horn extention, but the instructions say to get G10 from McMaster Carr and make your own. So which one is it[]?

Thanks,

Let Ya know tomorrow -if the ups people are on time !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.