Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

YAK 54 TOC1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Banche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YAK 54 TOC1

I didnt notice them at all when I built the plane.

I would use the hinges, every one of them.

I think every one has and no one has had a single problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:35 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

I am probably nearing 80 flights with no hinge problems.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

I'm refering to the brass pins that hold the arm in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56398.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	394076  
Old 01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

Do you mean the control horns / clevis?... If so I did not like that stuff either and replaced most of it.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:27 PM
3dking

that little pin in the picture I just uploaded.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 PM
PropStriker
My Feedback: (12)

I`m up there with greyhound...about 80 flights (I know you Northern guys will have some catching up to do!!) I used the stock hinges, control horns and brass pins. I check them often...no signs of wear or trying to back out at all.

3dking, thats an excellent idea drilling the pipe tunnel, will have to do that soon myself!

Relocating the rudder pull pull has been an issue with me since I heard the new kits were released with that configuration. I realize the elevators are cut differently, but with full rudder deflection, how can it Not hit the elevators??? I will mention this to Sammy next time I talk with him.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Banche

You would think that they would check to make sure they wouldnt hit.

Oh, BTW, I didnt like the hardware, I am no expert but I just didnt like it and replaced it all with carbon fiber pushrods and H9 titanium pushrods on the ailerons and the Hangar 9 Heavy duty ball links.

All the other ball links, and I have tried about 10 different brands, all the other ball links have slop.

What I mean is that the screw has space between it and the ball so they move back and forth.

I know that goes awa ya bit when you tighten them down but they still probably move.

I dont like that and so I only use H9 Ball links.

All the linkage hardware on the Yak is like 6-32 or some odd thread and screw size that isnt 4-40.

That is a little befier so I put those 6-32 bolts through some of the old rocket city ball links and they fit real snug and then I use locktite and 2 hex bolts.

That is alot better on the plastic controle horns but for servo arms and such--> 4-40

I think someone used 4-40 pushrods and the ball links that came with the kit and had big problems. Maybe it was one of you guys?

Good luck. I just found out that I have to go to the doctor again on wensday, it really sucks cuz I dislocated my shoulder playing basketball.

Who cares about the shoulder, I dont get to fly!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
PropStriker

Last time I dislocated my shoulder, I needed an arm sling....hope it isn`t too bad.

I hope you didn`t use locktite on plastic!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Banche

I am supposed to be in a sling for a week. It isnt too bad, my arm was numb though for a while aftorwards and then the numbness slowly went away. It was real weird.

I didnt use locktite for the screw to screw into the plastic but I locktited (spell) the bolts on the other side holding the screw in and I am sure some got in the threads in the plastic.

What happens when that happens???? It was red locktite. Oh and blue locktite on some other screws too so red and blue both.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:47 PM
PropStriker

Red is more permanent than blue, either will weaken plastic
Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
llamury
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Guys,
Just a little info on the hardware included -- we've not had one report of a failure on that little brass pin or on any of our hardware yet (fingers crossed). I know it's something new, some of it looks a little different - but zero failures. You can throw it away and spend extra money if you like, but with hundreds of planes out there making thousands of flights . . . -- not one report since I've been with Aviation Models!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 AM
PropStriker

Hi Lee, thanks for the post...Sammy sez you`re real busy since he`s been in China....

-larry-
Old 01-24-2006, 03:32 AM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

Lee, Most of the hardware is great and will function fine. I think most people just choose to upgrade to other brands. Choice is good. As I mentioned before, other hardware upgrades would drive the cost of the kit up and I think evryone likes the price where it is. However the pull-pull cable is not suitable for this aircraft. No big deal though. One reason is this plane requires a criss cross set-up and the supplied cable is not coated. This can cause problems . The other reason is that it has few strands and kinks real easy.

Other than that I feel everything would probably work fine for the life of the aircraft.

Great job on the manuals!!!
Tripp
Old 01-24-2006, 03:45 AM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

opus what did I miss? I've going back more pages

Tripp
ORIGINAL: opusxman

I can't beleive what I saw in those pictures. That's the most irresponsible thing I've seen lately. I hope when you grow up you develop an understanding of what these people are trying to tell you about flying at that field. Oh, and why wait till you get your driver's license? You should be able to justify driving without one!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 AM
jimmyjoe
My Feedback: (21)

tunnel looks nice, and it is nice to see the fuel in the tank. However, I thought that the fuel tank was being installed centered under the wing tube for cg. it looks like your tank is fore of the tube?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:22 AM
jimmyjoe
My Feedback: (21)

hey tripp,

it is all about Banche flying at a soccer field and buzzing people. Don't want to get off thread but there are things we can do in this hobby to keep locals and feds off are asses and what Banche was doing really wasn't one of them.

ORIGINAL: propwashed

opus what did I miss? I've going back more pages

Tripp
ORIGINAL: opusxman

I can't beleive what I saw in those pictures. That's the most irresponsible thing I've seen lately. I hope when you grow up you develop an understanding of what these people are trying to tell you about flying at that field. Oh, and why wait till you get your driver's license? You should be able to justify driving without one!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
JustPlaneCrazy3D

ORIGINAL: 3dking

I've been looking at the rudder for 3 days now and I know that the pull pull is going to give me trouble. I wired everthing else so the next warm dry day in Chicago I will fly.....Hopefully by August!
I was having a problem too, but here is what I discovered.

The exit hole is shown in the pics below.

At first I used the bigger holes between the stab mounting holes and it still was not the way I liked it, then when I was tighteing up the covering I discovered the little exit hole slit below the bigger one.
I moved my pull-pull wires to this new position and it seems ok.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54671.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	394378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76490.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	394379  
Old 01-24-2006, 10:21 AM
PropStriker

EXCELLENT!!!! Good find!!!
So, with full rudder deflection, Moving the elevator it`s full range doesn`t interfer with the control horn at all???
I see you are using clevises on the control horns also.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:54 AM
3dking

ORIGINAL: PropStriker

So, with full rudder deflection, Moving the elevator it`s full range doesn`t interfer with the control horn at all???
I see that set-up, my only question is the control arms.....How many degrees are you getting with deflection?????
Old 01-24-2006, 11:03 AM
3dking

ORIGINAL: jimmyjoe

tunnel looks nice, and it is nice to see the fuel in the tank. However, I thought that the fuel tank was being installed centered under the wing tube for cg. it looks like your tank is fore of the tube?
I've been reading this awesome thread since day one and most of the guys have said that these arf's come in tail heavy, so that's why I installed the tank where it is. I figured if it's a little nose heavy I could always move my twin battery packs back a little. I also kept the regulators as close to the wing tube just in case.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:18 AM
PropStriker

You gotta remember, the tank doesn`t stay full through the entire flight...The reason we put the tank at the CG, is so there are no trim changes as the gas burns off.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:18 PM
JustPlaneCrazy3D

ORIGINAL: PropStriker

Thanks !

No problems with full deflection.

Yes I went back to the clevises per DkJens recommendation.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:22 PM
JustPlaneCrazy3D

ORIGINAL: 3dking

I see that set-up, my only question is the control arms.....How many degrees are you getting with deflection?????
I'll check the degrees tonight.

I know the control horns on the rudder can bump into the sides of the fuse with too much deflection on the rudder.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

Well, it's time for my report:

Unofrtunately, I was so excited that I forgot the camera, however I'll take some this weekend.

---------------------------

The Yak's official weight is 18.3 lbs and it's NOSE heavy, just a tad.

The first flight was last Friday. The BME cranked up without a hitch. I did a range check with the engine running. No issues.

We taxied her out to the runway and gave it some throttle. As soon as the Yak took off we noticed a lack of thrust from the BME. Remember, we have the 3-blade CF 21x11.5 Mejzlik. The prop wasn't doing the job. So, we continued flying but the vertical just wasn't there. It was flying good enough to get a decent trim flight out of her though.

To our amazement, we had to bump a little up into the elevator. We were thinking the beast was going to be tail heavy if anything, but were delightfully surprised that we could take some of the weight out of the nose (about 6 oz.'s or so). I took the controls from dad and did some flyby's. Unfortunately, the pilot came unglued and started flopping around in the canopy. I immediately landed.

As far as landing goes, this thing rivals my 33% H9 Cap 232. Slows to a crawl with little to no tip stall tendencies.

After the pilot jetison, we were pretty much done for the day. The Yak's canopy is shot after being nicked by the pilot. What actually happened was the epoxy came off from the base of the pilot (plywood). The base was still there screwed and epoxied in place, however the hollow pilot decided to come unglued.

Throughout the weekend, we've got 9 flights on her. Every flight gets better and better. We changed props to a 2-blade 21x8 BME prop. Much better performance (as Keith described to us over the phone). We'll be heading down to Troy Built to get another CF prop and spinner made.

We took all of the lead weight out of the nose and it's still coming out a tad nose heavy. We're thinking about moving one of the batteries back toward the CG, but I don't want to mess with it too, too much.

We love this plane. Pictures to come later.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

Man this plane really sounds sweet. I'mn looking forward to the Aviation Models 30% 260!!!

I wanna get one man those thing look sweet!!!. I hope it flies as good as the Yak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.