Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Trying to find an anodized wing tube

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Trying to find an anodized wing tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:17 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to find an anodized wing tube

Does anyone know where I can find an anodized wing tube measuring 1.25"OD with 0.035-0.040"wall thickness and 38" length? Everything I've found (gator RC, TNT) with the diameter and wall I need is only available in 36" length. I'm going to call them both tomorrow and see about custom lengths, but I doubt they'll be willing/able to do that.

Could I safely run a 36" wing tube in place of the original 38" one on a 1/3 scale Extra?

Another option would be to send my tube to be anodized, but I don't know where. If anyone knows of a shop that can do it, please let me know.

Thanks!
Ben

Old 05-15-2005, 10:33 AM
3D ONdaEDGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trying to find an anodized wing tube

You could run a 36" tube but you would need to make sure that it was centered between the wings and that it didnt walk between them while flying. I have a couple different planes that the tube doesnt bottom out in either wing. I use a bolt that goes through the soket into the wing tube inside the fuse to prevent the tube from walking sideways.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:51 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

You could get a carbon tube. Troybuilt has them in longer lengths.

I've always wondered this... what are the advantages of an anodized wing tube over a non-anodized wing tube? Just looks?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 AM
bdphil

The reason I'm looking for an anodized tube is that the wing and fuse sockets in my plane are fiberglass and they grind away at the tube making black crud all over it. Anything I've had with phenolic paper sockets never did this. An anodized aluminum surface has a very hard aluminum oxide layer that is about a billion times more wear resistent than an untreated AL surface.

I have a crude method of fixing the wing tube centered in the fuse socket, but I'm working on something better. I'm gonna take some measurements and see if I think a 36" tube will still be suitable. Probaby call 3W and see what they think of that idea as well.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

go carbon!
they are maby more expensive BUT!!! much more lighther and stronger!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:56 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

You can make a disc out of balsa and slip one into each socket to keep the wing tube centered. If you want to make the disc permanent just put a dab of glue on the center and slip it into the sockets.
ORIGINAL: bdphil

The reason I'm looking for an anodized tube is that the wing and fuse sockets in my plane are fiberglass and they grind away at the tube making black crud all over it. Anything I've had with phenolic paper sockets never did this. An anodized aluminum surface has a very hard aluminum oxide layer that is about a billion times more wear resistent than an untreated AL surface.

I have a crude method of fixing the wing tube centered in the fuse socket, but I'm working on something better. I'm gonna take some measurements and see if I think a 36" tube will still be suitable. Probaby call 3W and see what they think of that idea as well.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 05-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

TNT sells a 1.25x48" anodized tube. Saw it down to your exact length.
Never drill a hole in the wing tube anywhere near the center of the tube, especially between the fuse sides. If you must drill a hole, it better be near the ends of the tube where the bending stress is minimal. I've seen a 25 lb, 33% Sukhoi fold its wings in 5 flights when the 1.5" diameter aluminum tube cracked right at the hole drilled for retention inside the fuse.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:31 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone I know uses a hose clamp around the wing tube in the fuse to keep the tube from moving side to side. It doesn't rotate much with the clamp, but you still get the black crud on non-anondized or carbon tubes...
Old 05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
bdphil

Wander how I missed the darn ano'd tubes at TNT? Cutting down the 48" tube is just the ticket, thanks for tips! I think an anodized tube will be better than carbon for this plane on account of the glass sockets. I'm not very concerned with shaving a few ounces at this point, but I gave a carbon tube some thought.

On the retaining ideas; I agree, drilling is a bad plan. Right now I have a ply block glued and zip-tied to the fuse socket and the center is drilled/tapped for a 1/4-20 nylon bolt. The bolt just threads through the ply block and snugs against the tube. Once the wing panels are in place there's almost no movement available anyway, but I'm working on something a little fancier. If I ever get a chance to try finish and try it, I'll post some pics.

Thanks for all the tips!

Ben