Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Balsa sheeted Foam Repair Please Help!!!

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Balsa sheeted Foam Repair Please Help!!!

Old 05-21-2005, 06:34 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa sheeted Foam Repair Please Help!!!

I was filling my 35% Aerotech Edge 540 up today and the gas stop came off. Yes I filled up the fuse. All of the foam on the bottom is gone. I filled it with corn starch to soak up the oil. What do I do to fix. It was balsa sheeted foam. I was thinking of using the spray can foam then sanding it down. Any ideas, pictures would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13851.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	274477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85620.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	274478  
Old 05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balsa sheeted Foam Repair Please Help!!!

Best fix is to contact Aerotech and get some new parts. Its a going to be a lot of work but anything short will be haphazard and smell.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:47 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a can of spray insulation. Spray it in the damaged area and let it cure for 24 hrs. Then simply slice the excess off with a hack saw blade. I have also used this method in build up wings by filling the cells around the landing gear, or sometimes the leading edge, before sheeting the other side. It makes the wing much stronger and adds almost no weight.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:35 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you use the aerosol foam as ram suggested let it cure for at least a week, preferably two weeks before shaping it. It will seem hard, but it will continue expanding for several days, then it will shrink a bit. Really not stable in less than 12-14 days.

If you get the two-part mixing foam (NHP, Tower Hobbies carries it) it stabilizes much faster, but it still swells for a few days after it seems to be hard.

Any of these foams will work if allowed to cure fully, I've had the best results using the NHP brand. With the aerosols you have to use the entire can within a day or two or the nozzle clogs and can't be cleared, with the two-part you mix only what you need. Another advantage.

Bill.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:08 AM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had corn starch soaking any oil out of the area. I will try the 2 part foam that you have suggested. I will test first on a board then apply to plane. The smell is pretty much gone with all of the baby powder and corn starch. I don't think the area needs any major strength just need to support the balsa. That is all ok, the covering is still solid. The glue that was sprayed on the foam before the balsa was applied protected the balsa.

Thanks again for all of your help.