Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

KMP Edge 540

Old 01-13-2007, 08:53 AM
denney47
My Feedback: (359)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Edge 540

You should have located your engine centered in the cowl opening, I am not sure why you did it the way you did. I always cut the engine box, get it the right length and then set the engine on the engine box, mount the cowl and center the engine in the opening. This is the proper method of mounting the engine. As for the wing tube being tight, there is probably a vew burs in the wing or fuse. I use a piece of 1/2" dowl rod, glue a piece of sandpaper around one end and use it to sand the burs off.
Hope this helps
Tom
Old 01-13-2007, 11:57 AM
freebird1

Thanks tom for the advice on the cowl placement. The wing tube is no big deal. I rather it to be tight rather loose. I would disagree with you on the cowl issue. I have always mount the engine with the pitch and trust line in the fire wall. If the line is not marked, I center it on the mount with the shaft in the center of the fire wall. I whould think that the cowl could and most likely be off. I will think of something.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:14 PM
denney47

I would suggest moving your engine up, I have built two of these and centered the engine in the cowl opening and it was a perfect flyer.

Good Luck with it

Tom
Old 01-14-2007, 10:48 AM
freebird1

I do not think I will move the engine up. If I do, the engine head will hit the fire wall, and I would have to destroy all that work over the cowl. As you can see in the photo it is right on center. I will have to adjust the cowl somehow. I think I could shem the top and get the fit, but not sure on all of it will work. Tom do you know what the attach is on this mount. I used my incidents metter and mine is on 0 for up and down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82557.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	597610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35426.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	597611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw42413.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	597612  
Old 01-14-2007, 02:19 PM
denney47

There is no down thrust built into this airplane, just right thrust. Looking at the picture you did not allow for the right thrust when mounting the engine. I know it will take more work that you may not want to do but now is the time to do it right. Like I said before get the engine box the correct legnth for your engine, mount the cowl and center the engine in the cowl. All of the builders I know do it this way.

Tom
Old 01-14-2007, 03:48 PM
freebird1

Ok, let me say that I am no newbie Tom. I have built over 75 ARF and kit. I have owned over a 100. I sought the advice of some fellow flyer with some 60 + years in the hobby. They both said the plane would not even fly if allied with that cowl. The cowl is off. I have 1/4" thrust as the factor thrust was. If I am off it was off from the factory. Look close at the photo. I guess the striping is not supost to line up Too. We measured the fuse and motor mount every way possible I am right on the money, and that is not just me but a total 70+ years in the hobby counting my own time on the issue. It was plain to see that the cowl was off when we found out it was 3/4" un-leval (see photo). I can take photos of anything If you think it may be something else . I just got recharable batterys for my Cam. Do you think it could be that the cowl is off. Tom, what do I need to do to get a cowl?

Name:	Bz78684.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	597829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51807.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	597830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac64666.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	597831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi51057.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	597832  
Old 01-14-2007, 03:56 PM
freebird1

Here is a photo to show my work station is leval.

Name:	Om33294.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	597838  
Old 01-14-2007, 06:10 PM
denney47

I thought you were asking for my advise and I gave it to you as I know it. You have chosen not to take my advise and that is OK but lets don't argue about what is right and what is wrong. I know my way of assembling this airplane works but if you choose to do it different that is fine with me.

Good luck with your airplane
Tom
Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 PM
terminal velocity

The opening in the cowl is not level (it's not supposed to be!!!) because the opening is angled to match the right thrust so that there would be a consistent gap between the cowl and the spinner when the right thrust is factored in.

You don't want to move the engine up because you don't want to work on the firewall... That's too bad. You will end up with a plane with the incorrect thrust line and will more than likely end up with some serious coupling issues.

You stated that you want to mount the engine centered on the marking on the firewall. What you need to realize that the engine must be positioned so that the HUB is at the centerline, not the rear mount. The firewall has the necessary built-in right thrust (that is why one side of the box is longer than the other). The cowl opening is at the centerline of the airframe. Center the engine hub in the cowl opening and mount the engine to the firewall. You will end up with a very good flying plane with the engine mounted exactly where it needs to be.

Why to I know all of this? I HAVE ONE OF THESE PLANES THAT I HAVE BEEN FLYING FOR MORE THAN ONE YEAR. I set it up exactly like denny47 did his. It works just fine. Quit being so hard-headed. You are making things much, much more complicated that it needs to be.

You came on here with a problem and denney47 has given you absolutely 100% correct answers and you just choose to ignore him. I can understand the frustration in his last post.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 PM
denney47

Thank you very much, maybe he will believe two of us. I love my 30% Edge and I set it up just like I told him.

Tom
Old 01-15-2007, 12:30 AM
freebird1

Ok one ting i have figured out is Tom you are the one I bought the plane from. That explain why you so hard headed on it is my fault. It amazes me that the first thing people suggest is the builder is at fault. OK, I guess the cowl is supposed to have all four side of the balsa broke in the cowl for adjustment. Want me to take a photo. Explain why one side of the stripping matches and the other will not. I guess thats the exact painting. I guess it is the close spec regarding the cowl that limit any coupling issues . I Mic every cut and installing of the mount. Like I stated I have asked the advice of 2 builder in the hobby with 60 + years and they both agree with me that the cowl is s**T. Any builder (not an arf) knows the thrust line of a plane. The fuse is on the money. The cowl is sadly going to make this plane h*ll and look bad. I never jumped on anyone un-til they question my building ability. I build at least 15 hours a week. I have someone tell me to aline my engine with a cowl (crazy) . Now, I will tell you why the wing tube is tight. On the right side the wing slide has a indention which restricks it. No bur, just poor build. Of course Tom, you will say it was my building. I bought it from you. Tried 3 times to call you no answer at your store or home. It took over 3 weeks to even get it. I will let pay pal handle it from here. I be d**n if I am going to pay this much for a bird and have to build it and someone tell me I am a stupid builder. I do not what it anymore no matter how it flys. I have 27 birds and 11 of them are gassers to keep me busy and I have a 30% edge on the way. live and learn.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:56 AM
denney47

Sorry, I tried to help but you would not listen. These are great airplanes and many people will back that up, "terminal velocity" already did in this thread. I am finished with this conversation.

Tom
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
freebird1

I never said they were bad planes. I said "I hated to cut on a new plane, but no big deal I can beef it up". I then said "the wing tube was tight, but it was no big deal. I would rather have it tight than loose". I measured the plane from tail to the fire wall and it was on the money. As a matter of fact my friends stated it was as true as if it was a kit built. I checked the hardware and to my suprize it was good stuff. I then stated that the cowl was off, and here is where it started. I thought am I missing something (is it my fault), so I sought the advice of persons that know this stuff like the back of thier hand and they agree it was the cowl. If you look at the photos if I move my engine to match the cowl I would not even have wood to mount too. It is 1 1/2" low and 1" to the left. I only have 1" from top and bottom and 1/2 from side to side to play with. I do no know anything else I can say or take a photo to prove the cowl is off, so I guess we will agree to dis-agree.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
denney47

I am very disappointed that you involved Pay Pal in this. The problem is not the airplane, I know you will not let yourself believe that you need to mount the engine in a different location but that would solve all of the problems. Why can’t you understand that all of the cowls come out of the same mold and everyone else has had no problem with their airplane? Only you?

If you will send me your e-mail address I will send you an instruction manual for a 30% Extra 330 that will show how to mount the engine. This airplane is the same as the Edge except for the cowl and wings.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM
freebird1

I am disappointed that you hold no merit in any of the info and evidence that I have provided. I have given you proof and reason, you have given me an opinion. You will not even entertain the notion the cowl is off. I can not move the engine. There is no where near the wood to do that and it moves it away from the thrust line. If you bought a new car and the bumper was bent up and the dealer said move the body to fit the bumper you would be upset too. These planes come off an assembly line and some are not right. . It is a cowl not even anything on the air frame. I am going to take the plane and cowl to local hobby shop and maybe their statement on the issue will hold merit as mine and two others do not, but I know what they are going to say. In all my years in the hobby I have never seen or been apart of such an un-reasonable situation regarding a plane part. I am sure the plane will fly fine, but my God it is a cowl, come on. This is my last post on the issue, because I am tired of this whole thing.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
denney47

Ship me the Cowl, I will install it on my Extra, if it fits then we will know it is not the cowl. If it doesn't fit I will ship you a new one.

I take it you do not want me to send you a instruction manual showing how to install the engine?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 AM
freebird1

Ok, first, my bird is an edge not an extra Tom. If you did inspect the contents of all shipments like you stated to paypal you would have know there was a manual in the package,. Like I stated I am tired of argueing. Let this issue be done with. You think I am at some kinda fault with the cowl being off and I know I am not. I have my proof and the proof of others. Man, you talk about product support .
Old 01-16-2007, 01:33 AM
freebird1

Hey, tom look, before this cowl issue you had only 22 post to help the RC community, now you have 42.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
denney47

I offered to replace your cowl if it wasn't right, I also offered to e-mail you an additional manual on how to mount the engine. You declined both so I am done, I will not answer anymore contacts from you.

Tom
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
knighttwister
My Feedback: (59)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess sometimes new ideas are hard to accept. like putting a capsule on top of a bullistic missile to put men on the moon.

no, it was all shot on a movie set and in the dessert.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM
knighttwister
My Feedback: (59)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flymhi

Folks,

I have a copy of the KMP manual for th edge 540 that Tom Denney was kind enough to share. I can email it but it is a large PDF (4Mb)

thx,

Shane

flymhi, do you think you could send me a copy of that manual? i have one that is nearly finished, and i want to double check it. mine didn't come with one. i would greatly appreciate it . thanks, and kind regards, jim
Old 01-16-2007, 04:42 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

My DA50 is mounted about 1/4" right of the center line, and about 1/4" above center line.

I taped my Edge to a step ladder (without the rudder installed), and lined the motor up with the cowling attached (you trim the cowling first). Joe at down on the deck has a good picture of this...

http://www.downonthedeck.com/images/...e_32_small.jpg

And here's a picture for reference of a motor mounted on a firewall with right thrust.

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...05/Sn40062.jpg
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
denney47

I have detailed instructions for the KMP Extra which is almost the same as the Edge which will detail the engine instalation. I also have the Edge manual if anyone wants a PDF of either or both please let me know. Send me your e mail address and I will send it to you.
Tom
Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I have built one each Extra for me and my brother. Mine is 16 lb dry with DA-50 and CF stuff no wheel pants, Dual Nimhs on flight. His is the same setup with FPE 3.2 and 16.5 lbs dry.

They are a great entry into the giant scale 50 CC Category, I even bought a spare airframe. I have over 30 flight hours (200 flights?) on mine and one of the fellows at the club was impressed enough that he is trying to buy it from me.

I have had no major issues with mine.

RDB

Name:	Fd90573.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	599644  
Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 AM
denney47

Great looking airplanes, I also have and 30% Extra 330 and an Edge 540 and they are great airplanes. I still have a few of these airplanes for sale, they are new in box. I also have the 30% Yak 54 for sale. If your friend doesn't fine one have him check out my web site at: www.valleyviewrc.com

Thanks
Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.