Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

KMP Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM
freebird1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Edge 540

ORIGINAL: Ih82crash

When I put the motor back on I did not have the thrust angle correct, so I had to add washers to compensate. I tried to use an incidence meter, but ultimately the only way to get it perfect is to fly it. (I had too much left anddown thrust). When I went vertical it would pull left and to the wheels. I simply added washers behind the appropriate corners of the engine until it flew straight. (Dont be fooled into thinking that if the backplate is lined up with the cowl it is correct)
Tom, Pm me that manual, because the one that came with it said to center the engine on the mount (box).
Old 01-22-2007, 12:06 AM
freebird1

OK, the more I look at this plane the more I just shake my head. Either I am lucky or this has got to be the worse built plane I have seen. It is a shame to have such a true frame and build it the way it is. After I saw that Tom was not going to help me, I have a friend that has a friend that builds custom cowl in Ohio. I then started building. The plane is full of broken balsa and glue joints that have broken away. The turtle deck had a screw to hold a blind nut in. The turtle deck has a piece of wood protruding down. The foam has chucks that are glued in. I have started re-gluing, but I can only reach so much of it. Do I re-glue it by stripping all of the covering off of the bird, sell it, or take a chance. The wing tube is so tight with the bur I think I may damage something with the pressure it takes to push the wings in. I am glad that the rest of you seem to have gotten a good bird, but you can not prove it by this one. If anyone asks me I say that the KMP Edge is one to stay away from, because you may get a good one or you may not. If you get a bad one you will have to build or replace any bad parts yourself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29649.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	603864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71455.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	603865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86107.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	603866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa35036.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	603867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21816.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	603868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht87981.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	603869  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 AM
freebird1

I looked at the tail hardware and it seems that they give you pull pull and straight push rod set up for the tail (nice Opt). It also came with two tail wheel assm. They look very close to the same. With my heavy engine I will have to go with the push rod and servo in the tail. There is a huge Alu part in the package. I will say I do not have a clue what it is. It looks like it may be some kinda of pull pull who knows. The manual I have is very vage. Does anyone have a detailed manual. sure would save me sometime.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
knighttwister
My Feedback: (59)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that piece of flat aluminum is an attempt to increase the throw for your servo in a pull pull setup. you must screw it to a largre servo output wheel. i wouldn't trust it
Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
knighttwister

ORIGINAL: freebird1

OK, the more I look at this plane the more I just shake my head. Either I am lucky or this has got to be the worse built plane I have seen. It is a shame to have such a true frame and build it the way it is. After I saw that Tom was not going to help me, I have a friend that has a friend that builds custom cowl in Ohio. I then started building. The plane is full of broken balsa and glue joints that have broken away. The turtle deck had a screw to hold a blind nut in. The turtle deck has a piece of wood protruding down. The foam has chucks that are glued in. I have started re-gluing, but I can only reach so much of it. Do I re-glue it by stripping all of the covering off of the bird, sell it, or take a chance. The wing tube is so tight with the bur I think I may damage something with the pressure it takes to push the wings in. I am glad that the rest of you seem to have gotten a good bird, but you can not prove it by this one. If anyone asks me I say that the KMP Edge is one to stay away from, because you may get a good one or you may not. If you get a bad one you will have to build or replace any bad parts yourself.
that screw is not to hold the blind nut in, but to hold the canopy assembly on. insert and seat the blind nut on the inside of the tab, put the screw through the fuse to hold the assembly together. works very well.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
freebird1

Thanks for the reply knighttwister. I had no idea what that was, now I can see what you are saying. Do you have a copy of the detailed manual. Lots of 2 sets of hardware, sure would save some time.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:47 PM
knighttwister

the manual i have is not very detailed. i guess the writer assumes some experience with giant scale arf assembly. when i put mine together, i had no manual. if you study it close enough and use a logical approach to assembly, you shouldn't have too much trouble. there is always this thread to turn to if you have any problems. mine was on the bench for a year, but mostly to do research when i came to a problem. it also took some time to decide on the equipment i was going to use. batteries, power distribution, servos, that sort of thing. cost was a factor for me too.
make sure you check all glue joints. i had to scab over some of my formers and reinforce some of the cross bracing. if you do this judiciously you can still come out with a halfways light bird. i'm finally going to weigh mine when i get home tonight. i'm thinking it will weigh about 16-17 pounds dry.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Bass1

rdb127, Are those painted composite spinners?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:35 PM
freebird1

Ok here we go. My tail tube is way to long. No big deal I will cut it. There are 2 tail wheel Assm, one plastic and one Alum. They look very close to the same, but I know there is a DIff. Which one to use. also there is a hatch in the tail. what it this for.

Name:	Lj22747.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	605288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45855.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	605289  
Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: Bass1

rdb127, Are those painted composite spinners?

Hey Bass!, they are Bisson fiberglass 4 inch spinners

http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/pro...ch_results.htm

I see that they do not list the 4 inchers in white any longer but if memory serves me they were 3.75 ounces[edit 3.25 oz] with the lightened aluminum backplates.

For feedback on the spinners they look good but if you do not retain your allen screws (I use canopy cement on the threads) they will back right out.

Richard
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 PM
denney47
My Feedback: (359)

Use the black plastic tail wheel assemble, it works better than the other. The hatch is used to install blind nuts for the tail wheel if you do not want to use screws. Screws work fine if you harden the holes with thin CA. Also the hatch area can be used if you want to add weight to change your CG.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: denney47

Great looking airplanes, I also have and 30% Extra 330 and an Edge 540 and they are great airplanes. I still have a few of these airplanes for sale, they are new in box. I also have the 30% Yak 54 for sale. If your friend doesn't fine one have him check out my web site at: www.valleyviewrc.com

Thanks
Tom
Hey Tom,

I have reccommended your site to a few of my fellow pilots as I believe that the plane is a good price for what one is getting. (I have put the Extra through the ringer)

Nothing is perfect in life, there are pilots and there are builders. But for pilots that are not builders they need to either learn or pay someone who can build. As for the builders who are not pilots..... they just get to watch[8D]

Richard

Name:	Ki19830.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	605348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19514.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	605349  
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 PM
terminal velocity

ORIGINAL: freebird1

With my heavy engine I will have to go with the push rod and servo in the tail.
Don't rule out the pull/pull system because you have a "heavier" engine. I have a DA50 in mine (yes, it's pretty light) and I had to do everything I could to get weight forward including an aluminum spinner, batteries moved as far forward as humanly possible, and a carbon fiber tailwheel mount. The CG (wing tube area) is so close to the nose of the plane that there isn't much room forward for weight to balance out the rest of the plane.

So with your heavier engine you should easily be able to use a pull/pull system and move your batteries around to adjust your CG. Otherwise, with the added weight of a servo in the tail you may end up tail heavy even with your heavier engine. []
Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
freebird1

Advise taken. I will use the plastic one. I will also wait till later for a final on the tail set up.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 07:39 AM
knighttwister

i'm using a brison 3.2 on mine and i used the pull pull. i still had to put my battery pack in the engine box just in front of the gas tank which has it's back up against the wing tube with some foam in between. so yes, it is a tail heavy plane.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

freebird,

Don't worry about the foam in the hatch. You can remove the unglued foam. My fuel tank stopper came out, and the gasoline dissolved ALL of the foam in my hatch. I just ran some Thick CA in the joints, and didn't replace the foam. It's had many flights with no problems.

Dennis
Old 01-24-2007, 12:49 PM
freebird1

I think my engine will come in around 5.7Ib. I removed the back mount and mounted it from the block to Isolation mounts. Liten it as much as I can. I read a while back that some are having trouble with the bigger engines and Isolation mount. flexing with a quick snap. Most of the time I use stand off. This is the biggest gasser I have ever used. What do you think about the isolation mounts. They are matched for this engine. They required a hole 5/8". I also had to make the firewall 1/2" ratherthan the factory 1/4. Has anyone had to add up pitch.

Thanks knighttwister and frieshoo your info is greatful. I am going to use 3 bat packs tota with a bat ulitment backer and strobe. That will need a single AA. So I think I will have to go with pull pull. Can someone please post a photo of their servo set up for pull pull.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 PM
denney47

Thanks guys for helping Freebird1, for some reason he didn't want to listen to me but I am happy that he will listen to you. You all are giving great advise.
Tom
Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 PM
denney47

Thanks rdb127 yes these are great airplanes for about 1/2 price. My 30% Edge and Extra both fly great, getting ready to do a Yak 54 with a DA-50 should be a great airplane.
Tom
Old 01-24-2007, 04:27 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Isolation mounts are a matter of choice. Most modern airframes can hold up to the vibrations at idle. I have found Iso-mounts help at idle, and even smooth the engine out at higher throttle settings. If you have already drilled your mounting holes into the firewall, I would stick with them. Sachs engines are very strong, and reliable, but they shake a little more than the others.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:35 PM
freebird1

Ok, Tom I never did not listen to you. I just get a little angery when I know what I see. You seem like a good guy and after I thought a preyed about it I am letting it go. I will buy a cowl. so this is the end of the cowl issue. Wether I mounted my engine right or wrong the fact remains the stripping will not match and the cowl is lower than the fuse. It has broken balsa and it has been patched, but it is ok. This issue is over and done. So in the words of that great philosopher forest Gump, that is all I am going to say about that.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:53 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Must...Bite...Tongue....
Old 02-16-2007, 12:47 AM
flymhi
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,

here's a link to the manual that Tom sent me for the Edge 540. It's not much but better than nothing. [link=http://www.coyote-hills.com/edge-540.pdf]manual[/link]

FLYMHI
Old 02-16-2007, 06:06 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

I have the manual for the Extra, and it is quite detailed. PM me and I will email it.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:01 PM
denney47

I have a detailed manual for the 30% KMP Extra 330 which is almost the same airplane as the Edge 540, if anyone needs it please e-mail me at: [email protected] ask for the 30% Extra manual and I will send it to you via e-mail. This manual can be used to assemble the Edge except for the CG.

Happy Flying
Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.