Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Stay tuned, Extreme Aircraft Extra 300 on the way

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Stay tuned, Extreme Aircraft Extra 300 on the way

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 AM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay tuned, Extreme Aircraft Extra 300 on the way

I'm a sucker for a good deal - bit on RC Superstore's summer sale of their Extreme Aircraft 34% Extra 300, $599 shipped.

What's going in her:

DA100 is supposed to be delivered today, plane comes next week. JMB cans, Amelung Modelbau "roll your own" headers. Hitecs all around, Smartfly kill switch, Duralites (2x2000mAh) into a Powerbox, Duralite 2000mAh on ignition. Futaba synthesized 9chan PCM RX. Smoke maybe, depends on how much room I've got, and how "light" it flys.

Did an extensive search on this plane - came up empty. Only found a few threads on the smaller version from the same shop, no complaints, but no flight reports or build quality input either. Guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Regardless, I'd like to hear if ANYONE has built and flown one yet. I did see that there's at least one other "sucker" out there who bought off RC Superstore's classified - chime in and let's share notes!

Happy Flying!

DB
Old 08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Stay tuned, Extreme Aircraft Extra 300 on the way

Exactly the same as the Planes Plus

They're great

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3103229/anchors_3113741/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3113741[/link]
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

This plane is the same as the Planes Plus and Chip Hyde which I believe all are licensed copies of the Columbo Anderson 34% Extra. I've seen several videos and this plane has to be the best bang for the buck in this size aircraft. Enjoy!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:10 PM
dork_blaster

Sheesh... guess I'm going to have to buy a Planes Plus, Chip Hyde and Columbo Anderson Extra just to make sure they're all the same plane! Then get a set of Mike Hurley and Great Planes Extra plans and see how similar all of these ships are, and since I have the plans build them too! Just kidding... maybe, not sure...

There's at least one nay-sayer out there that says this is a different plane because some replacement gear for one model didn't match the other.

Still waiting on my motor and FedEx says my plane is in transit.

DB
Old 08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
T. Bob

A friend has the RC Superstore and we have a several Planes Plus flying at our field and they are identical except for the covering.
Chip's I haven't seen but it looks very similar except for the bottom were his cans are exposed.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

I have one on the way as well. I got some stick time on the Plans Plus version of it last weekend and was impressed with the flying quality, no bad habits at all. mine will be a back up IMAC/practice plane and will set it up to dabble with some 3D flying as well. BME 105, standard exhaust, hitec 5945's on elev and ail, 5735 on rudder, still flying 1650 Nimh (2) batts, hopefully will hit around 25# but more concearned with a good CG balance. has anyone found any taller gear that will fit this plane as it sits a little squat to the ground? alum or CF?

as an added tidbit, I flew one of the old Columbo 34% extras a couple of years ago and was very impressed with it back then too, I just wasnt in the market for one at the time.

Hubb
Old 08-20-2005, 05:16 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: dork_blaster

Sheesh... guess I'm going to have to buy a Planes Plus, Chip Hyde and Columbo Anderson Extra just to make sure they're all the same plane! Then get a set of Mike Hurley and Great Planes Extra plans and see how similar all of these ships are, and since I have the plans build them too! Just kidding... maybe, not sure...

There's at least one nay-sayer out there that says this is a different plane because some replacement gear for one model didn't match the other.
Still waiting on my motor and FedEx says my plane is in transit.

DB
That was me. That is the only evidence I have that they are not 100% guaranteed copies of the CA Extra...regardless, it is a nice design and a good buy.
I got all the servos for mine as well as receiver. BME expects to have engines shipping in the next 2-3 weeks, and most of everything else I will nead is available locally...should have her 'bout done by October!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:26 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Hubb

I have one on the way as well. I got some stick time on the Plans Plus version of it last weekend and was impressed with the flying quality, no bad habits at all. mine will be a back up IMAC/practice plane and will set it up to dabble with some 3D flying as well. BME 105, standard exhaust, hitec 5945's on elev and ail, 5735 on rudder, still flying 1650 Nimh (2) batts, hopefully will hit around 25# but more concearned with a good CG balance. has anyone found any taller gear that will fit this plane as it sits a little squat to the ground? alum or CF?

as an added tidbit, I flew one of the old Columbo 34% extras a couple of years ago and was very impressed with it back then too, I just wasnt in the market for one at the time.

Hubb
With that setup you should be closer to 24 pounds.
As far as gear goes, my buddies is a tankin 28 pounds and he's swinging a 28-10 and has plenty of ground clearance. The only gear I have found that are close are the Graphtech gear for the CA 34% extra, but they are actually an inch shorter an a couple inches narrower. The ones I got were not very symmetrical, though, so they will be going back.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:39 PM
dork_blaster

Thanks for chiming in folks!

Guess it doesn't matter whose Extra it is as long as they fly well (and light) and don't fall apart be they Extreme Aircraft, Planes Plus, CA etc.

DA100 arrived at my office in great shape, I forgot how beautiful the machining is on these puppies. Got everything I need except the plane, Powerbox and a couple batteries. I'll probably be over 25 lbs because of the canisters, can't get away from the sound police where I fly. Hope to be done later this month or early Sept - hope is the key word, life gets in the way sometimes! [:'(]

If someone finds some CF gear that works well with this plane, let us know! Also anyone using the stock aluminum/titanium tail gear that comes in the HW package with this plane? How much does it weigh? Is it doodoo or high quality? Might go CF tail gear for balancing and/or weight savings.

Hope everyone gets to fly this weekend!

DB
Old 08-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Diablo-RCU

Dork:
The tailgear, main gear and wheels are excellent quality. I haven't seen a better tail wheel anywhere! I have seen plenty of the carbon tail gears delaminate.

The plane is not tail heavy at all with the hardware that comes with the plane. They balance fine with a light motor like a BME, ZDZ-80 or ZDZ-100 - no nose weight needed. With a DA or 3W, you'll need to move the batteries back toward the tail.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:40 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: dork_blaster

Thanks for chiming in folks!

Guess it doesn't matter whose Extra it is as long as they fly well (and light) and don't fall apart be they Extreme Aircraft, Planes Plus, CA etc.

DA100 arrived at my office in great shape, I forgot how beautiful the machining is on these puppies. Got everything I need except the plane, Powerbox and a couple batteries. I'll probably be over 25 lbs because of the canisters, can't get away from the sound police where I fly. Hope to be done later this month or early Sept - hope is the key word, life gets in the way sometimes! [:'(]

If someone finds some CF gear that works well with this plane, let us know! Also anyone using the stock aluminum/titanium tail gear that comes in the HW package with this plane? How much does it weigh? Is it doodoo or high quality? Might go CF tail gear for balancing and/or weight savings.

Hope everyone gets to fly this weekend!

DB
You'll actually be around 27 pounds or more if you are using cannisters. Unless my buddy got a water sogged plane, his came out to 28, dry, with the Following setup:
everything stock in the kit was used except for wheels, which are 4.5 Dubros
DA100 with hyde pipes, turning a Mezj 28-10 covered by a stock 4-4.5" Tru-turn spinner
945's all around with only two rudder servos
dual 2300 nimh's for rx and one 1650 for ignition
no smoke, no choke servo or pilot...
the only places to save weight without buying aftermarket gear, etc, would be to go with dual 2400 li-ions on the rx, which will save a half-pound or therebouts, and a CF spinner and wood prop, which will save another quarter pound. Regardless, you'll be pushing 27 with cannisters, but if you are near sealevel then you really have nothing to worry about, plus you should gain a couple R's with those cans...keep us updated!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:44 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

Dork:
The tailgear, main gear and wheels are excellent quality. I haven't seen a better tail wheel anywhere! I have seen plenty of the carbon tail gears delaminate.

The plane is not tail heavy at all with the hardware that comes with the plane. They balance fine with a light motor like a BME, ZDZ-80 or ZDZ-100 - no nose weight needed. With a DA or 3W, you'll need to move the batteries back toward the tail.
The tailwheel on this thing is awesome, except for the weak springs, and is less than a half ounce heavier than the CF tailgear - not worth spending the $40 on it unless you were absolutely hurting for less tailweight.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:41 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wing loading at 27-28lbs is high for 1764 sq-inch model IMO... 35% models typically sport around 2000 sq-inches. Wing loading at 27lbs is 35.2oz-ft . Compared to a Carden 35% Extra @ 27lbs with a wing loading of 30.5.4oz-ft. The Carden would have to carry another 4.4lbs. for like wing loading.

I believe these models need to be setup as light as possible for best results.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:12 PM
dork_blaster

All my big planes have LiPos in them and this one's no exception. I am a BIG fan of weight reduction after having flown a "tank" to borrow someone's phrase. When I'm done I'll hang it on the digital fish scale and weigh it stock, and then calculate how much the CF might save me. I'll post the weight when available. GPS says our elevation is ~300ft asl where I fly - no "altitude sickness" for these planes here.

I flew a 29lbs 33% Giles for a couples years that was around 42oz-ft^2 wing loading and compared to that, this thing ought to fly much lighter than my old tank even if it came at Michael's calculated 35.2oz-ft^2. Sold that Giles to an old buddy last year who just likes to fly precision aerobatics, which that Giles did splendidly.

UPS tracking says my plane is in the state! Yeah!

DB
Old 08-22-2005, 02:11 PM
bodywerks

stock gear 24.4 ounces
CF gear 10.2
stock tube 11.3
CF tube 7.1
-------------------------
total savings 18.4 ounces...worth the extra $, IMO!

Mglavin, you are right, but with the right equipment and aftermarket gear and wing tube, 23 pounds is easily obtainable. Now you have your 30 oz wingloading...for a 34%er, that's pretty good!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
T. Bob

And at 23 lbs Carbon Fiber gear are great. IMO over 27 lbs they seem to start delaminating easily
Old 08-22-2005, 06:44 PM
dork_blaster

Delam seems to be a thing of the past for me - my 40% Edge (40lbs) has seen some pretty rough landings over the past 1.5 yrs and the CF gear (main and tail) not only saved me 14oz over stock, but saved my plane from at least one rotten landing that would've creamed aluminum gear and my fuse going with it!

Prior to the set I have now was the "old" formulation and it was starting to delam at the bend, and it started doing it right away, noticed it after only 2-3 landings.

ORIGINAL: T. Bob

And at 23 lbs Carbon Fiber gear are great. IMO over 27 lbs they seem to start delaminating easily
Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
dork_blaster

Well the next journey begins! Plane arrived and inspected everything, the canopy was damaged, let's see what RC Superstore's service is like.

DB
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
bodywerks

Hmmm, did it have a small crease in it? Mine did too. I can't believe that I am not too worried about it...maybe it's a supersticious thing for me, but I figure that if the entire pane turns out flawless, then it is doomed! I'm hoping the damaged canopy will reward me with many flights on this bird
Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 AM
dork_blaster

No crease in the canopy, just a bunch of broken off pieces. Cowl seems fine, no dings or pits or what have you. The box had no damage so it wasn't packed it properly. RC Superstore responded to my first email almost immediately. Had to email them a picture of the canopy and a picture of the box if it was damaged. Clock is ticking... will I finish the rest of the plane before I get a replacement?

Trying to get pysched back into "build it" mode - just finished a 33% Ulti last month and just now getting that dialed in and I'm still in "just fly it" mode.

Thoughts so far:

The scheme is good, not great - still a nice looking plane. Wish they stuck to straight lines on the wings, don't like that right angle in the colors. No sags, or big wrinkles - nothing a few touch ups with the old iron couldn't fix.

Most of the hardware that comes with it is of good quality except for the screws which look like the typical "touch them and they strip" brand of HW. Main gear looks like polished aluminum.

The manual is adequate, not quite Hanger 9, but understandable. RC Superstore or Extreme Aircraft were nice enough to bind it into a folder, simple but nice touch.

The plane comes with and the manual states to use the "high quality" CA hinges on all control surfaces. Need to dwell on this one, I'd rather use hingepoints.

Comes with an aluminum wing tube, which I'll probably replace with CF. The kit comes with with a CF stab tube but pair it a solid aluminum anti rotation dowel almost as long as the stab tube? Go figure!

Wings look built up, nice surprise.

Manual shows a DA100 and K&S cans, but don't show how to heat shield the innards of the plane or get airflow around and out of the canister area. Guessing you just need to build your own box around the cans or buy the fiberglass tube K&S markets for just such an application. I've kit bashed 3 planes for cans which took a bit of time to figure out, nice to have one that doesn't need too many modifications.

More to come!

DB
Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
bodywerks

I am sticking with CA hinges, but will likely use radiosouth hinges. Next to sonictronic, of which I have the most experience with, they are supposed to be the cat's meow! I decided to go with them since I will likely be placing my paint order with them. I just don't care for hingepoints, I guess.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:51 PM
dork_blaster

Just did a quick weigh of all the pieces and added them up in an Excel spreadsheet. Answer was 28.4 lbs with a CF spinner. If I go with CF wing tube and gear (assuming I find some that fit) will save me another pound. If I plop in a BME110 Xtreme instead of the DA this puppy will be a shade over 25lbs! Hmmmmm....

My sums include about 6ozs of fudge for glue and misc screw/zip ties/foam. I weighed everything on my postal or digital fish scale depending on the size of course.

Building begins tonight with the hinges. Still no word on the canopy replacement. Maybe it'll just show up at my doorstep?

Cheers!

DB
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Diablo-RCU

Keep it simple and light. A buddy has the PP 34% Extra with BME-100, in-cowl mufflers, one strong servo per aileron (Hitec 5945 or 5955 or JR 8411 or 8611 are enough), everything else stock....24.4 lbs.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:46 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless there are wood blocks behind the leading and trailing edges of the surfaces in hand, hinge points are not the answer IMO. The cap strips or beveled stock is likely 10mm thick on this bird. That’s not much material to securely fix a hinge point.

DB what was the total airplane weight less radio gear, engine and fuel system?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:32 AM
dork_blaster

ORIGINAL: mglavin
DB what was the total airplane weight less radio gear, engine and fuel system?
The weight of all the stuff in the box was 16.97lbs according to my spreadsheet.

Guess I'll give the CA hinges a try, first time for everything! It's probably been close to 4 years since I did CA hinges... hope I remember how!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.